• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Like feelings of hopelessness due to the thought that we can't due anything collectively as a human race to mend what we've done?

The overwhelming thought of that hits me like a torrential wave. I've been finding it hard to concentrate on my studies because of it.

Maybe I just need to see a therapist.

Discuss.

Edit: I have seen First Reformed. Do I regret it? No. The movie is incredible. Did it have an impact on me. Very much.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
No. Planet will be fine even if we aren't

On the upside, it's been postulated it was climate change that caused Home Sapien's brains to evolve to its current size. I think adaptaton will be our biggest and possible greatest challenge in the future. If we can overocme it, we may overcome a potential great filter to our civilization.

Generally the idea of no impact is not realistic, all civilization swill have some impact on the environment.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
look at it this way op, klling yourself accomplishes nothing really, because erasing yourself from the equation wont change anything.

on the other hand, if you are really this temerous of what could come in the future, use it as a motivation to do good things in your community or something.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you may as well have suicidal thoughts due to entropy.

I'm not saying climate change isn't way more pressing, but it's basically 100% out of your control and won't truly be felt until after our generation is gone.

edit: but yes please see somebody

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
There will be some degree of challenge and sacrifice in our future, but now is far too early for despair of that kind.

Yes, if you're under 50, then you're going to see great change in your lifetime. It's not just climate, but the environmental cause as a whole. The need for massive land-use changes, the coming of automation, the tenuous positions of capitalism and global inequality, the rise of AI and the possibility of a self-aware computer in the next 50 years.

There's a lot you could live to see, and yes, perhaps suffer through, but again it's too early to say that that world will not be worth living in (especially given some of the shit we as a species have lived through before).

grang

Nov 13, 2017
You should watch First Reformed

edit: eh okay actually yeah you probably shouldn't, but it's about people going through a very similar plight

ScootingNinja

Alt account
Banned
Mar 6, 2019
Nah. I'll be long dead before any of that shit really hits the fan. No need to dwell on things outside my control. Got a life to live and enjoy.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Suicidal thoughts no, but I hopelessness (not necessarily for myself, but for my kids). I feel strongly that the world will not make the necessary changes to avert disaster.

Oct 27, 2017
No, but it has made me seriously consider whether it would be ethical to bring children into this world. The response to imminent Climate Change and other political developments (or lack of developments) have also made me consider whether violent revolution is actually necessary.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I have those thoughts regardless. The fact that the people with the most power to make life better for people and animals seem to not care all that much certainly doesn't help.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Before I begin: Climate change is real, it's an issue that needs immediate action, and future generations will be directly affected if we ignore it.

Now, with that said, some of the timeline estimations of when climate change will threaten humanity have been exaggerated at times. I heard AOC say the world will end in 12 years, but today but today she said "lol jk you idiots"

Beto O'Rourke recently said the same thing

"This is our final chance. The scientists are absolutely unanimous on this. That we have no more than 12 years to take incredibly bold action on this crisis," Mr. O'Rourke said.

As of this posting he has not said "jk lol" like AOC.

Back in 1988, the UN predicted the Maldives would be submerged due to global warming in 30 years. It has been 31 years since that prediction and the Maldives are still above water.

Glaciers are melting, and a global temperatures are rising and we need to take action, but also don't let the extremists scare you into believing we only have 12 years left on Earth and there's nothing we can do about it. There's certainly no need to have suicidal thoughts. I hope this puts you at ease somewhat.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
No but it does make me far more conscious about my actions and my general long term outlook is pretty negative. I will say this though, he best cure for this feeling is to do something about it. I've gotten solar panels, water tanks, now getting an electric car and massively reduced my meat intake. I've planted a shitload of plants in my garden and joined a local landcare group. I also vote green.

Will my actions save the world? No but doing your part really helps take away a lot of that negativity.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
almost everyday i tell myself "just kill me" anytime i see those cancer commericals for kids or see the news.

KelThaFunkee

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot we can do actually. But we're all kinda stuck with this helpless attitude and that's the thing that's really stopping us.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
No. Hope is all around us. It's just hard to see because changing minds takes time.

Please talk to a mental health professional. There's no shame in that and it's always good to get a different perspective.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
1. See a therapist.
2. Assuming you're living in a developed western nation, you're gonna be fine - we're not gonna get the worst of the effects . Even in the worst case scenario's we're not gonna die in a big ball of fire. Things may get shittier, but we - you, me, everyone here - can adjust. People are good at adjusting.
And 3....
We been through worse.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
DON'T WATCH First Reformed

Fuck. 100%.

Get involved, OP - we are closer to solutions than we've ever been and important conversations are happening. Be a voice for the solutions.

And yes, I would say if its coming to suicidality, you should definitely speak to a professional.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't already, check out what counselling services your school has. I recently went to mine and found it worthwhile.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like feelings of hopelessness due to the thought that we can't due anything collectively as a human race to mend what we've done?

The overwhelming thought of that hits me like a torrential wave. I've been finding it hard to concentrate on my studies because of it.

Maybe I just need to see a therapist.

Discuss.

Edit: I have seen First Reformed. Do I regret it? No. The movie is incredible. Did it have an impact on me. Very much.

I think that seeing a therapist is a great idea Bran. While it is understandable to feel discouraged or hopeless about climate change and the actions that countries have not taken towards resolving it, it should not be causing you to feel suicidal on its own. Would you be willing to tell us a little more about how you feel when you think about climate change? What kind of thoughts run through your head that make it hard to concentrate on your studies?

OP
OP

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I think that seeing a therapist is a great idea Bran. While it is understandable to feel discouraged or hopeless about climate change and the actions that countries have not taken towards resolving it, it should not be causing you to feel suicidal on its own. Would you be willing to tell us a little more about how you feel when you think about climate change? What kind of thoughts run through your head that make it hard to concentrate on your studies?

Mostly a feeling of suffocation and that of a hand closing around my throat.

Though to be fully honest, climate change isn't the only factor in making me feel this way. I've been thinking about therapy, just need the time to go.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
My life has been one big fight and thus, I just look at climate change as another obstacle to overcome. See a therapist, OP. Never hurts to talk to someone.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Before I begin: Climate change is real, it's an issue that needs immediate action, and future generations will be directly affected if we ignore it.

Now, with that said, some of the timeline estimations of when climate change will threaten humanity have been exaggerated at times. I heard AOC say the world will end in 12 years, but today but today she said "lol jk you idiots"

Beto O'Rourke recently said the same thing

"This is our final chance. The scientists are absolutely unanimous on this. That we have no more than 12 years to take incredibly bold action on this crisis," Mr. O'Rourke said.

As of this posting he has not said "jk lol" like AOC.

Back in 1988, the UN predicted the Maldives would be submerged due to global warming in 30 years. It has been 31 years since that prediction and the Maldives are still above water.

Glaciers are melting, and a global temperatures are rising and we need to take action, but also don't let the extremists scare you into believing we only have 12 years left on Earth and there's nothing we can do about it. There's certainly no need to have suicidal thoughts. I hope this puts you at ease somewhat.

12 years to take action is not the same as 12 years before world ends.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say that I've had thoughts as severe (though mighty close), but I can say with certainty until we move the climate doomsday clock further away from midnight that as a 27 year old I certainly have no desire bringing children into this world. There are a myriad of other reasons, but climate change I can say is one of the highest in my mind.

I think the hardest truth I've had to grapple with lately is that even if as individuals we collectively do better to reduce our carbon footprint, I believe some research suggested that would only account for 30% of the efforts required to reverse CC. Really we need more cap & trade programs and carbon taxing against the biggest corporations to force their hand in adopting environmentally conscious measures.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
I figure the bad air will kill an asthmatic like me anyways, long before the other catastrophic natural disasters happen.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Feelings of suicide because of climate change...? No not at all. Decided not to have any children despite being totally capable of raising one? Check.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly a feeling of suffocation and that of a hand closing around my throat.

Though to be fully honest, climate change isn't the only factor in making me feel this way. I've been thinking about therapy, just need the time to go.

I see. When you say that you have a feeling of suffocation, do you mean that you actually have trouble breathing? Do you feel a large amount of anxiety when thinking about climate change?

And if you do feel that there are other factors that are making you feel this way, I would really recommend a therapist again. If you're currently in school/university, then there should be resources available for you there at the very least. But if not, let me know and I'll help you figure out where to find one near you. It's important to keep in mind that therapy isn't just there for when you're struggling at your worst, but it can be used as pre-emptive measure for when you start to notice problems, and it can absolutely help you find the root of these problems and fight against them.