• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
So I'm about 1 month away from completing my 6 months treatment for Tubercolosis. I was first diagnosed with TB back in July 2019 - through a sputum /spit test that I took after experiencing low grade fever for 3 weeks. When I was first told about the results, I was surprised that TB has not yet been eradicated. I live in a first world country as well.

Although they managed to catch the disease early before any damage was done to my lungs, I still had to undergo the full 6 months World Health Org TB tretment program. Which meant that I had to take a heavy dosage of antibiotics every day for 2 months - and then 3 times a week for 4 months.

Medicine side effects were quite brutal initially. Bad rash, body aches and nausea, breathlessness. They slowly go away overtime. More importantly, your life schedule gets turned upside down. Medication is issued under direct observed therapy, which means that you have to take this under supervision of a nurse.

I'm glad this is almost over- and thankfully, this is a disease which is very treatable. But dealing with this is no fun at all.

So as a public service announcement- if you anyone you know if coughing for 3 weeks or more, just get yourself checked out!

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Wow that sounds bad op, really glad you got help early before getting irreversible damage. Hope you make a full recovery soon!

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Not me, but my mom.

She also has diabetes, which made the treatment much longer and more tricky. She had to take a full year of treatment instead of 6 months for full recovery from TB. It was rough, but I'm glad it's over.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I was about to post something relevant regarding a recent piece of media only to realize it'd probably lead to spoiling a few people.

But yeah, that's brutal. I'm really sorry you had to go through that.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
I currently have it and am getting treatment for it, but there's a possibility that I was misdiagnosed since the cavities in my lungs have not shrunk at all since their discovery (about 8 months ago).

OP
OP
Gibbo

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
I currently have it and am getting treatment for it, but there's a possibility that I was misdiagnosed since the cavities in my lungs have not shrunk at all since their discovery (about 8 months ago).

To be honest there is a part of me that thinks I've been wrongly disgnosed as well. My X rays have been 100% clear since the beginning. So my treatment was based on the sputum results alone.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
To be honest there is a part of me that thinks I've been wrongly disgnosed as well. My X rays have been 100% clear since the beginning. So my treatment was based on the sputum results alone.
Oh there are many different types of TB, and the sputum test is reliable so I wouldn't worry. I happen to have cavitary TB so in my case it does appear on an x-ray. I'm having a lung biopsy to be sure since my situation is a little unusual.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017

they didn't do other TB tests like the skin one, Or the gold standard for TB diagnosis, the quantiferon gold test? Because the sputum test isn't very specific for TB

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was rushed into hospital a couple of years ago with severe chest pains and I was initially diagnosed with TB and kept in quarantine for a week. It was odd because I was told I was immune when I was a kid and didn't need the immunisation injection.

They tried to do a phlem test but it didn't work so I had to have a biopsy on my chest which was awful. It ended up being sarcoidosis that I had and I had to have steroids for 6 months which didn't really help. It doesn't really go away and causes me lots of random issues and constant shortness of breath and dizziness.

Kinda wish it had been TB in the end since it's treatable but I'm sure that's awful too. Glad you're recovering OP.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I did when I was 18. Lived in Europe and was as surprised as you. Are you doing/gonna do physiotherapy for it? I had to for 6 months after leaving the hospital.

I wasn't under supervision while taking medicine though. I just got it from a pharmacy and took it at home.

aBathingApe

Jul 22, 2018
I had tuberculosis when I was 14. It wasnt in my lungs but in my bones on my lower back. I took medicine daily for it for 1 year. No side effects. Aside from the medicine, I lived a pretty normal teenager life.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't really have it hit me hard or anything but I was diagnosed with it while stationed in Korea. I had been coughing up a little bit of blood for a while and was ordered to go to the clinic. They administered a TB skin test, said it was positive, and I had to undergo the INH treatment for 9 months or however long.

OP
OP
Gibbo

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
Here in the UK we all get vaccinated against TB (BCG Vaccine) at the age of 15/16 at Secondary School.

We were vacinnated against tb when we were 12. That was in 1994. However, I believe this was proven to be ineffective. Thus I don't think the BCG vaccine is being administered these days

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wife had latent TB, had to go through the 6 month pill process. Biggest effect on her was no drinking.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
No but my wife's grandfather was a desert rat in WWII and was captured by the Germans. He was a POW for over a year and was only released when he got TB. He survived it but a few years ago just before he died he had a X ray and the doctors where very concerned about his lungs... Turns out it was scarring from all those years ago...

I wish you well TB doesn't fuck about.