• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I'm not sure I would buy another 3DW game. I just didn't have that much fun with the Wii U version. It was a huge let down for me. Odyssey on the other hand has been nothing but great. The game has me laughing and smiling the entire time I'm playing. 3DW2 is unnecessary.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly hope we never see another 3DWorld/Land game ever again.

Once again, the OP said he wanted the game to exist alongside Odyssey like game while fans of Odyssey seem insulted that a fan of a game even exist. Like really? Is the idea of the game alternating between a sandbox style game and a 3D precision platformer so horrific to comprehend?

The multiplayer felt tacked on and hindered the already simplistic level design of 3D Land from evolving into anything bigger in 3D World. Not to mention, the movement felt so restrictive when compared to previous/"true" 3D Mario games.

The problem is that when Mario first went 3D with Mario 64, Nintendo had to rethink a lot of the concepts of the franchise, throw away a lot of the old stuff to make room for new, different stuff. That's what made Mario 64 so great in my opinion: it still felt like Mario, but it had its own identity, different from 2D Marios. 3DLand/World just feel like a direct translation from 2D Mario to 3D without rethinking anything. If feels like they just did the bare minimum: they just took 2D Mario and put it in an open space. 3D Land/3D World are the New Super Mario Bros. of 3D Mario: uninspired and lacking. Even the unremarkable art style is reminiscent of the NSMB games imo.

I also find it very uninformed to put the Galaxy games on the same side as 3DLand/World when they have very little in common. Galaxy had much more complex mechanics, movement and level design than 3DL/W. It also gave players a lot more control over the camera and overall had a lot more in common with 64/Sunshine/Odyssey than with 3DL/W. Not to mention it did have a bunch of very big, open levels.

1. Nintendo themselves must be strongly uninformed because:

lEnjqJ2.jpg

2. In terms of level design, there is a clear inspiration in level design taken in all four games. It is more pronounced in Galaxy 2, 3D Land, and 3D World but even in the first Galaxy, Kozuimi's push towards a more precision styled gameplay was evident.

3. While 3D world could have done more with its characters, I don't want them to put Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Rosalina in a box and forget about them. They deserve to be playable in more 3D Mario games.

4. 3D World has its own identity BECAUSE it is a 3D representation of a 2D Mario game. That is not lazy. Do you know how hard something like that is to achieve? Look at how long it took Sonic to get making a "get to a flagpole" game right.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I maintained a strange bitterness when playing through 3D World. The game itself is mostly quite good, but I'll admit that I would have rather been playing Galaxy 3/Odyssey. I suppose I was turned off by the general lack of ambition and innovation when it came to the game and its presentation.

I'd love to see a brand new, high effort kind of 2D game.

Oct 27, 2017
Up for anything. 3D Mario games are so consistently great, so 3D World sequel, Odyssey sequel, hell, a sequel to Sunshine (I unabashedly love Sunshine) -- count me in. Even better -- maybe something new?!

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Sunshine was extremely disappointing, Odyssey however is amazing and the long overdue, proper sequel to Mario 64. Galaxy and the 3DL/W series are incredible games on their own terms because they proved that classic 2D style Mario platforming could be seamlessly merged into a 3D environment. Concurrently, Odyssey proves that a content packed and polished sandbox Mario game can be just as satisfying as a more 2D minded Mario 3D title. After I finish Odyssey I think I'm going to replay either SMG1/2 or 3DW (still play 3D Land off and on fairly regularly thanks to collecting Streetpass level times).

If Tokyo EAD still has two teams, I could totally see 3D Land 2 being worked on. Would be a great swan song for 3DS.

3D Land 2 and Dragon Quest 11 3DS being localized would both be amazing final gifts for 3DS owners.

Once again, the OP said he wanted the game to exist alongside Odyssey like game while fans of Odyssey seem insulted that a fan of a game even exist. Like really? Is the idea of the game alternating between a sandbox style game and a 3D precision platformer so horrific to comprehend?

lEnjqJ2.jpg

2. In terms of level design, there is a clear inspiration in level design taken in all four games. It is more pronounced in Galaxy 2, 3D Land, and 3D World but even in the first Galaxy, Kozuimi's push towards a more precision styled gameplay was evident.

3. While 3D world could have done more with its characters, I don't want them to put Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Rosalina in a box and forget about them. They deserve to be playable in more 3D Mario games.

4. 3D World has its own identity BECAUSE it is a 3D representation of a 2D Mario game. That is not lazy. Do you know how hard something like that is to achieve? Look at how long it took Sonic to get making a "get to a flagpole" game right.

Post of the thread. I wish I could like and quote this post 100 times. I find this weird revisionist hate for the Galaxy and 3DL/W and post Gamecube era praise and gushing over Sunshine bizarre to say the least. I don't begrudge anyone for having fun memories of Sunshine but that game's overall lack of polish is overwhelmingly bad. Also, regarding point number 2, wish I knew where the quote was but Miyamoto himself once said regarding SMG1 that 'Galaxy would have been a very different game if New Super Mario Brothers (DS) had not been such a huge success.'

Last edited:

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The thread title is "Anyone else hoping for a Super Mario 3D World sequel next?" and the OP goes on to make an argument as to why he thinks a sequel to 3D World is a good idea. I responded to the thread title that no, I'm NOT hoping for a sequel to 3D World, and went on to formulate an argument as to why I think that would be a bad idea. I'm not gonna tear my hair out if Nintendo makes a sequel to 3D World, but since we're hypothesizing based on our opinions, I think I have the right to express that I would not want such a game.

lEnjqJ2.jpg

Yes, I am aware of that image and that is exactly what I was referring to in my previous post.

2. Yes, you can find some of the very basics of 3DLand/World's design philosophy in the Galaxy games, but that doesn't change the fact that 3DLand/World are still leagues below the Galaxy games when it comes to complexity in level design and mechanics. Even small stuff like the movement (which I don't recall if it was 8-way or 12-way in the 3DL/W games) affects how the game plays, feels and is designed. To me, it was a huge disappointment.

3. If they find a way to put these characters in the game in a way that's not obstructive of the game design or doesn't cause the game to be simplified - a la Luigi in the Galaxy games -, then sure, I'm all for it, but a multiplayer 3D Mario game? I couldn't possibly care less.

4. I never called the game or the devs lazy, I said it was simplified to make room for 4-Player multiplayer, which I find a mistake. I also said I find the art style unremarkable. I never said creating the game was easy, I said that when it came to creating a new style of 3D Mario, they decided to simply translate the already existing formula of 2D Marios to a 3D space, and that I find that disappointing, and that it all adds up to a game that has little identity. Don't put words in my mouth.

In the end, I feel like I made my arguments pretty clear and am in no way saying people don't have the right to enjoy these games. Is it that hard to comprehend why someone wouldn't want to play a sequel to a game they found incredibly disappointing from beginning to end?

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's super great if you got to play it multiplayer the whole time. If you play it solo, it's essentially an amped up 3d land in hd...so definitely fun, but nothing ultimately very special unlike Odyssey or Galaxy.

it's an aggressively worse game in co-op though

What I want most is 3D World, but Tough Most of the Way Through

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thread title is "Anyone else hoping for a Super Mario 3D World sequel next?" and the OP goes on to make an argument as to why he thinks a sequel to 3D World is a good idea. I responded to the thread title that no, I'm NOT hoping for a sequel to 3D World, and went on to formulate an argument as to why I think that would be a bad idea. I'm not gonna tear my hair out if Nintendo makes a sequel to 3D World, but since we're hypothesizing based on our opinions, I think I have the right to express that I would not want such a game.

Except you didn't say that you weren't hoping a sequel in the style of 3D world, you said you never wanted to see another 3D World game ever again. The former says you would rather have one in a different style, the later is far more negative and aggressive and I responded in a more aggressive manner in response.

2. Yes, you can find some of the very basics of 3DLand/World's design philosophy in the Galaxy games, but that doesn't change the fact that 3DLand/World are still leagues below the Galaxy games when it comes to complexity in level design and mechanics. Even small stuff like the movement (which I don't recall if it was 8-way or 12-way in the 3DL/W games) affects how the game plays, feels and is designed. To me, it was a huge disappointment.

No, the limitation in Mario's movements in 3D World is built around the game's playstyle. It is more than fine if you do not like this type of playstyle, but to outright lie and call the level design and mechanics objectively "simplified" is false. Simplified controls, sure, but from its simplified controls allows the game's level to throw you new mechanics at every stage. It also allows for very precise movement that cannot be replicated in a more free form movement such as Odyssey. Just take Darker Side of the Moon vs Champion's Road in terms of platforming. Darkerside of the Moon gives a lot of leeway to allow for the fact that Mario cannot be precise because he is NOT confined to 8 directions.

3. If they find a way to put these characters in the game in a way that's not obstructive of the game design or doesn't cause the game to be simplified - a la Luigi in the Galaxy games -, then sure, I'm all for it, but a multiplayer 3D Mario game? I couldn't possibly care less.

4. I never called the game or the devs lazy, I said it was simplified to make room for 4-Player multiplayer, which I find a mistake. I also said I find the art style unremarkable. I never said creating the game was easy, I said that when it came to creating a new style of 3D Mario, they decided to simply translate the already existing formula of 2D Marios to a 3D space, and that I find that disappointing, and that it all adds up to a game that has little identity. Don't put words in my mouth.

And I could argue the vast majority of Odyssey was simplified for its sandbox nature. Both Odyssey and 3D World has their own unique identities. Just because you resonate more with one, doesn't mean the other has no identity by relation. 3D World's identity is a 3D isometric platformer. It BREATHES identity so much that Odyssey still feels the need to borrow it for some of its levels.

As for artstyle,

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, no. This game has its own unique artistic identity.

In the end, I feel like I made my arguments pretty clear and am in no way saying people don't have the right to enjoy these games. Is it that hard to comprehend why someone wouldn't want to play a sequel to a game they found incredibly disappointing from beginning to end?

No it is not hard to comprehend. I completely understand why people would not want to play a 3D World-like game because it is not their 3D Mario game. Similarly, while I enjoy Odyssey immensely, it is not my personal 3D Mario game. But that's the great thing about 3D Mario games, it is such an expansive and everchanging category that both categories can exist side by side. I responded that I wanted both games to exist. You stop putting words in my mouth.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm still playing through Odyssey right now, probably 2/3's through the main path, but I want to say undeniably yes. My worst fears of Odyssey's design have basically been realized to me. I think 3D World and 3D Land are top tier 3D Mario, precisely because they are 2D Mario in 3D. Mario is all about that joy of running and jumping, and those two deliver that in spades, more so than any of the other 3D Mario games imo.

I want tight and focused, not broad and meandering for my Mario.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still playing through Odyssey right now, probably 2/3's through the main path, but I want to say undeniably yes. My worst fears of Odyssey's design have basically been realized to me. I think 3D World and 3D Land are top tier 3D Mario, precisely because they are 2D Mario in 3D. Mario is all about that joy of running and jumping, and those two deliver that in spades, more so than any of the other 3D Mario games imo.

I want tight and focused, not broad and meandering for my Mario.
You can run and jump around more than ever before in Odyssey, with great controls. In NDC, it feels like a giant jungle gym for Mario to play around. In wooded kingdom, there are so many ways to get around and fun things to do, etc.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. This franchise is big enough to accommodate both galaxy/3d style and 64/sunshine/odyssey.

Besides, the 3d world hate is so overblown. Had the game come equipped with gorgeous new assets and world themes like odyssey it would be much better received.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Except you didn't say that you weren't hoping a sequel in the style of 3D world, you said you never wanted to see another 3D World game ever again. The former says you would rather have one in a different style, the later is far more negative and aggressive and I responded in a more aggressive manner in response.

Both statements mean the same thing. The change in "aggression" comes from how you perceive it, not how I put it, and even then it doesn't matter much, I AM talking about a game, not about a person, there's no need for you to feel this offended when I'm not criticizing you. I'm not gonna go ahead with this discussion if you're gonna start acting like I'm personally attacking you over my arguments against a game.

No, the limitation in Mario's movements in 3D World is built around the game's playstyle. It is more than fine if you do not like this type of playstyle, but to outright lie and call the level design and mechanics objectively "simplified" is false.

See, it's this kinda bs right here that I was talking about. I'm out. Not gonna fall for that and start a little personal war over this.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love a 3DW2 but I wouldn't bet on it happening. I loved the art style and cat suit. It was excellent platforming like Mario should be. It was just great 3D Mario for me, except for that lame timer.

I don't like to encourage remasters but I think 3DW deserves to be put on the Switch so all the WiiU haters can get a chance to play the game.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want a 3D World sequel with Mario's expanded moveset from Odyssey. With no run button.

Just today I realised that Mario has a freaking DROP DASH in Odyssey. Just ground pound and shake the controller! This led to me getting a huge momentum boost in many occasions and allowed me to perform long triple jumps. I want stuff like that and the Cat Suit glitch to make speedrunning and replaying the game exciting!

Plus Daisy being in the game witj her instant double jump from Mario Run will make the game all the more sweeter. Since Tezuka and co worked on Mario Run's update I have hopes this dream might become a reality.

CMM1215

Oct 25, 2017
I would LOVE a 3D World sequel. It's still my favorite of the 3D Marios because it feels like a real attempt at translating the gameplay of 2D Mario into a 3D game. Loving Odyssey, too, but I would love to see another 3D World approach!

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Besides, the 3d world hate is so overblown. Had the game come equipped with gorgeous new assets and world themes like odyssey it would be much better received.
I am confused because if I recall correctly while the reveal was a bit meh during the October trailer of that same year minds were blown with phrases like "Wow! Look how creative the game looks" and "the visuals are so good"

And then you have the extremely positive reviews, good word of mouth and the fact that the game kept selling well after launch.

The game was more than well received and appreciated.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
No 3D World was rather uninspiring for a Mario game. I get people liked it for its multiplayer but I play Mario games for the single player experience.

Neifirst

Oct 27, 2017
I would be down for another 3D World type game if they went full-on SubCon from Super Mario Bros 2 (USA). Give me Mouser, Wart, and all the rest.

OR

I would really like a 2D Mario game with completely hand-drawn graphics like the artwork on the Super Mario Land (Gameboy) or Super Mario Kart box.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I am confused because if I recall correctly while the reveal was a bit meh during the October trailer of that same year minds were blown with phrases like "Wow! Look how creative the game looks" and "the visuals are so good"

And then you have the extremely positive reviews, good word of mouth and the fact that the game kept selling well after launch.

The game was more than well received and appreciated.
I still see people saying 3d world isn't a real 3d mario game. It's not a red-headed child by any means, but 3d world got plenty of flack up to and even after its release. It's not a perfect game, but I think comments like the one I mentioned are uncalled for considering the quality.

Sams

Oct 27, 2017
Yes!!! I loved 3D world and I personally think it's the best Mario game!! Give it to me Nintendo

Molemitts

Oct 25, 2017
I loved 3D World, but I'd like to see Nintendo take their time and come up with something just as new and creative as Odyssey. In the mean time some kind of Galaxy 2 like expansion for Odyssey would be cool.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Also many people thought it is a rehash or an upgraded version of the 3D Land on the 3DS, but it was much more. I loved it more than Odyssey. Add to that that it was announces in June and released on November-2013. Only 5 months between announcement and release which was not enough to build hype.

This game is definitely underrated and deserved more.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There's not really much reason to be altruistic in such wishes.

If someone dislikes that type of Mario game, of course they'd rather not see resources go to making another one as that means it's longer until they get a sequel to the style game they prefer.

Or if they put a totally separate team to work making it, it still means their making a game they're disinterested in vs. working on something else they might like.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else like me and just can't choose? They're both so damned good in their own ways.

The one thing nice about 3D World and Land is the variety of level aesthetics. Odyssey was a little limited in that aspect due to the World level design aspect.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not after Odyssey. I really enjoyed 3d world when it came out, but I had forgotten how great a 3d mario sandbox game is. I want more Mario games in the same vein as mario 64 and Odyssey.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think in general I enjoy the Galaxy / 3D World style more, so yah I would enjoy that. I like really challenging levels as a goal to beat.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. Loved co op with this game. Every time my sons friends come over we bust out 4 controllers and have a blast

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
I'd take some MARIO whenever I can get it. Next year 3D world and Mario Maker, please. Mario maker first

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I like linear style more than open so yes please give me 3D world or Galaxy. Odyssey was needed though, I think it's a great way to bring everyone back in, it's simple if you want it to be, lots of content for us hardcore players. Then they can graduate to the really good stuff with a galaxy 3

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I found an old "dream doc" I made back during Mario 3D World's release about my ideas for a sequel...

Obviously it'd be called "Super Mario 3D World 2", with the 2 referencing Mario Bros. 2/USA.

It's mostly mechanically a straight-sequel to 3D World, with Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad returning as the playable characters functioning mostly the same, except now they can pluck items from the ground and lift certain enemies, carrying them around and using them as projectiles. Rosalina does not return, but clearing the game unlocks Imagin, Mama, Lina, and Papa from Doki Doki Panic, who fuction as palette swaps except they have two hearts instead of power-ups---thus the game is a bit harder as them. Technically Fuji TV I believe owns them, but maybe Nintendo could work something out?

The game's plot involves Subcon re-imagined as a storybook, which has been destroyed by the Musical Maestro of Mayhem, Wart. Poki and Piki, Imagin's youngest siblings, escape and enlist the help of Mario and co. to restore all the pages, and thus the adventure begins! Bowser follows as well, but is quickly overpowered by Wart and turned into a frog, which he stays as for the rest of the game making small cameo appearances, with his Goomba changed into "Goombog", Goomba-frog hybrids. Likewise other classic enemies would have a froggy makeover.

The World Map, which felt pretty weak in 3D World, is ditched in favor of a non-linear "solar system" of levels where you choose your own route, with Mini-Boss and Boss Levels blocking your progress. To win the game, you need to reach all the Boss Levels and clear them all to reach Wart, so there's a variety of paths you can take. Each level has three hidden orbs which are used to unlock new paths on the world map through Bird Gates, so you can determine how you want to play---stay on the linear route level-by-level, or jump around by focusing on collecting Orbs? You fly around the world map on a book page that acts like a magic carpet, and at the end of each level you jump on a missing page and fly off---no Goal Post Bonus this time around, but carrying an item or enemy to the end will result in it changing into a power-up or 1-Up. Some special enemies must be carried to the end to receive an Orb.

In addition to normal levels you have levels specially made for one of the four characters, testing their skills to the limit, as well as levels where you're locked into a suit testing your skills with its power. Challenge Rooms also return.

As it's a storybook, the levels this time around are themed on fantasy and such---you got Arabian-inspired settings, fitting the original Doki Doki Panic, you've got feudal Japan, you have castles, you have Christmas-themed levels, etc. A bit more "grounded" than Mario 3D World was in its design, though still "game-y" with lots of floating platforms and the like.

The Super Mushroom, Fire Flower, Double Cherry, Mega Mushroom, and Star Mushroom return as do four new power-ups...

* Frog Suit: A remodeled version of Mario 3's, now with a mouth under the nostrils that can lick up items and enemies and carry them---this allows the wearer to keep all their athleticism which is usually nerfed when they're carrying an item by hand. It can also jump higher and farther, and underwater gives the wearer far more control, speed, and the ability to carry an item while swimming, as normally a character would simply sink. They can also run at normal speed along the water's floor too!

There's an upgrade known as the Prince(ss) Frog Suit which adds a golden crown, and can do a ground pound that turns them into a golden frog statue---and for another Nintendo frog reference, the pose is that of Prince Sable's. Killing enemies with this turns them into 1-Ups, useful since it would appear in the difficult bonus levels.

* Ninja Suit: The Ninja Suit allows the wearer to move at faster speeds, running up walls for a time and crossing water! They can also perform a powerful angled kick to strike down foes. Useful when you need some speed, and fun to speedrun with.

* Knight Suit: They can deflect weaker enemies, though they're vulnerable to magic attacks. They can also create a shockwave through ground-pounding. Though slower and not skilled at platforming due to the added weight, when sprinting they put their shield forward allowing them to break through obstacles and pass through certain barriers, like spikes, unharmed.

* Clown Suit: The rarest, this allows the wearer to summon a large ball when they aren't carrying anything that can be ridden on over lava and poison, and speed up down slopes, plus bounce away weaker enemies. The wearer can also deploy a balloon when jumping to far off platforms allowing them to float, but it'll pop if it touches a foe.

Anyway, Wart returns as the main villain and is re-imagined as a pipe-organist, with a bit of Phantom of the Opera flair---his new motif incorporates the Frog Song of Soul tune from Link's Awakening. His army consists of Shy Guy, standard foes you can step on and then pick up and throw them like in SMB2, frog-mutated classic enemies, many obscure foes from SMB2 that haven't returned since, and the 8-Bits, with the four Birdo Sisters and four Mouser Brothers serving as the mini-bosses in place of Boom Boom and Pom Pom while the bigger bosses are brand-new enemies for the most part. Also Ninji is back as are Dino Rhino, which you ride on in certain levels.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd really only want a 3D World successor if EPD Tokyo has enough staff to create it in addition to another sandbox Mario game.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
I've missed out on all Nintendo stuff since the N64, recently dipped into the Switch. So yes, I would love this on my Switch.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how little real platforming is in SMO, the sooner we get a new NSMB or SM3DW the better.

Oct 28, 2017
I could see Nintendo working on Super Mario Odyssey 2 along with a New Super Mario Bros. Switch game, to cater to both 3D/2D and platforming/exploration fans.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the camp that found 3D World a pretty drastic comedown from the Galaxy games, so I'd personally prefer they keep up the more ambitious, single player-focused games for as long as they're willing.

Oct 25, 2017
I like this. Year 1 = open world Mario (Odyssey), year 2 = Mario Maker sequel / deluxe, year 3 = linear Mario (Galaxy/3D World sequel).

Although NSMBU was amazing... Ugh this is difficult.

I rather them make a brand new non "New" 2D Mario game and wait for Mario Maker 2 until later in the Switch life cycle so they can implement that new art style into that game.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it would need to be much improved. I have the unpopular opinion that 3D World wasn't just a bad Mario game but it wasn't even a good game in general. They would need to improve the camera so depth perception issues are a thing of the past, improve Mario's moveset by doing things like adding the triple jump back and get rid of the run button. If they made those changes I'd be interested in a sequel.