• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Eh...I'm in the extreme minority of those who liked 3d Land far more than 3d World. I got bored of 3d World and couldn't be bothered to beat it, but have to have beaten Land at least 3 times 100% by now.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't really play the games, what exactly are the differences?

Ive played the 3DS version, and Im currently playing SMG for my first time, and I remember playing Sunshine (which as I remember it, felt more fun than SMG so far because I loved the open world nature of it, and the water gameplay).

Haven't played 64, or Odyssey, but from what I understand, the main console iterations are massive levels with central hubs that can be explored too, while the 3D Land games are a hybrid between console and handheld versions? (Smaller, straightforward, etc)

Never really played the 2D ones, except the ones on GBC.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Literally any type of 3D Mario that EAD Tokyo wants to make, I'm there day one.

They're all amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
3D world was amazing! Captain toad was brilliant as a side game.

Imagine a Mario's greatest hits with SM64DS upscaled, Sunshine, Galaxies, and the 3Ds.

Itd could be worth 140cdn for all i care

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
If they make the multiplayer just as fun as 3D world, I'd be instantly in. Sitting down with my roommates to get further in each world over the course of a couple weeks was some seriously great bonding time. It was fun as fuck.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
History will absolve 3D World, but I'd rather they give that linear 3D formula to one of their other platforming franchises to vary the portfolio a bit, like Yoshi, Kirby, Donkey Kong or Wario.

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I played 3D World co-op with my kids and it was pure bliss. One of my fondest gaming memories.
3D World 2 would be an instant purchase, and I'd buy a second set of Joy-cons on the spot just for that game, too.

Kinopio

Oct 27, 2017
A 3D World sequel is exactly what I'd like to see next. I had more fun with 3D World than any Mario game since Super Mario World.

It's become one of my all-time favorites, in large part due to the multiplayer.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uh...fuck yeah!

And dude, "Super Mario 3D World 2"...emphasis on 2. Finally a love letter to Super Mario Bros. 2 USA, with the Frog Suit returning as the iconic suit, Shy Guys becoming the default enemy, Wart, and Birdo and her sisters serving as the mini-bosses.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
3D World rerelease or 3D World 2 would be a day one megaton for me.

As others have said, I played the game with others and it was a magical experience for me. I played it alone and had a blast too. I particularly loved the jazzy Bowsers world theme.

Part of the appeal is definitely local multiplayer.. But..
If they could somehow make it work with online play.. Good lord.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I could always go for more 3d Mario, 3d world sequel with more characters, maybe shorter and less levels but it only cost 40 dollars, bowser kidnaps more fairies.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care all that much for 3d World compared to the rest of the Mario. I would still buy it, but I would prefer another Galaxy or something like that.

The next Mario should be Maker btw.

OP
OP
Darmik

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't really play the games, what exactly are the differences?

Ive played the 3DS version, and Im currently playing SMG for my first time, and I remember playing Sunshine (which as I remember it, felt more fun than SMG so far because I loved the open world nature of it, and the water gameplay).

Haven't played 64, or Odyssey, but from what I understand, the main console iterations are massive levels with central hubs that can be explored too, while the 3D Land games are a hybrid between console and handheld versions? (Smaller, straightforward, etc)

Never really played the 2D ones, except the ones on GBC.

You're kinda right.

Galaxy/3D is focused on beating a level. Something that's more like the spirit of the original 2D Mario games. You have a goal to reach at the end of the obstacle course. For Galaxy they sometimes reused or remixed levels with a new objective to collect the Star at the end and they also hide some stars within a level too. So in a way it's kind of a mix. 3D Land/World just gives you a flagpole to reach at the end and really doubles down on that 2D Mario design in a 3D space.

The others are more about finding secrets in a large level. You can spend hours in Odyssey within the same level finding Moons. Sometimes they're in plain site. Sometimes they're hidden behind doors that make you do a specific obstacle course. There are differences between each game. But that's kind of the simple summary of it.

To me both Odyssey and 3D World are the pinnacle of each diverging game style. Odyssey goes completely open and 3D World goes completely linear. They're both on opposite ends of the spectrum. Which is why I think there's room for both.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want Odyssey 2 but it would be HELLA NICE for there to be an SP mainline Mario series and an MP mainline Mario series, both on Switch.

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
Spinosaurus you're on call.

I wouldn't mind. The more linear style of 3D land/3D world is pretty fun to me. I prefer the more collection based 64/sunshine style, but 3D world is still pretty great. Preferably without run and interact being on the same button.

No buy if Cat Momentum is gone though.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm someone who never enjoyed the 2D Mario games and 3D Land/World were essentially 2D Mario games with a '3D' gimmick and layout. Time limits, no sense of exploration, fixed camera angles, and many other things that 64 didn't have, which is why it was so good.. So no, I would be pretty disappointed if they made another '3D' Mario title.

3D World shouldn't even have existed. The 3D title was used for 3D Land to complement 3DS' stereoscopic 3D abilities, it made no sense for 3D World. It wasn't the first 3D Mario game, it also was very different from other, true 3D Mario games (that's a lot of 3D).

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Id prefer Odyssey 2 with less or no cappy. But please also a 2D Mario with 90s manual art!

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% in favor of them alternating between the two. Heck, why not come up.... WITH A 3RD STYLE :O

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really enjoy Mario 3D World or Land so no, I wouldn't like it if they did this.

Galaxy 3 though would be Day 1.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I prefer Odyssey more, but I certainly wouldn't mind a 3D World successor. It's not that far behind in my estimations.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I prefer 3D World to the 3D Marios that are made from the Mario 64 clothe. Odyssey does nothing for me. Would be all in for a 3D World sequel in a heart beat.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Timers and a run button in a 3D Mario are a hard pass. Oh and the lack of true analog bothers me in that type of game. I get why they used it but I didn't care for it. I much preferred 3D Land to World though.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I played all of 3D World in multi-player and it was okay. Largely mindless fun (Champion's Road withstanding) for some couch co-op sessions.

I don't really want it to be the next thing, but I would play another one and hope for more interesting powers and physics gimmicks to make the platforming less stale.

Deleted member 19274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would like a mix of Odyssey and 3D world. Worlds to explore with main missions like Odyssey that unlock pipes that contain linear 3D world style levels.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
3D World shouldn't even have existed. The 3D title was used for 3D Land to complement 3DS' stereoscopic 3D abilities, it made no sense for 3D World. It wasn't the first 3D Mario game, it also was very different from other, true 3D Mario games (that's a lot of 3D).

I think 3D Land was maybe an experiment for this type of 3D Mario, and it sold very well so it encouraged them to develop 3D World with the same basics. anyway, I really like 3D World (great and varied levels, good content, challenging secret levels, many experiments with Mario mechanics and some of them carried over to Odyssey, Captain Toad levels... etc) but I agree with your points, the concept itself limits what they can do with the game, and they are very creative developers. the element of surprise is much stronger in Super Mario Odyssey... they will probably develop Odyssey 2 for the Switch, like they did with Galaxy 2.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Captain Toad still looks miles better than Odyssey, a switch sequel would look unbelievable

Night_castle_Captain_Toad.png

Captain_Toad_intro_2.png

Captain-Toad-Treasure-Tracker-3.png

Boss1TreasureTracker.png

I want the dry bones dragon they promised, its not fair, that looks cool as fuck
xabgEPy.png

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I would like a Sonic game with this style of game. I liked the game and i think it would fit with a platformer Sonic pretty well.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
I really do. I'm glad Odyssey came now after 3D World because we hadn't had Sandbox 3D Mario in over a decade. Now I want the next game to be course-clear type.

Take the assets from Odyssey and have some levels based on kingdoms from those games along with new stuff.

Have both Toadette and Daisy playable to have more than one female from the start. Just edit the Toad and Peach models. They're both in Super Mario Run with Daisy now having the unique double-jump ability.

Have Yoshi be usable. Also finally have the modern take on the Frog Suit.

frog_mario_by_starkid64-d3io8e6.png

So there's Land (Cat Mario), Air (Tanooki Mario) and Sea (Frog Mario) animal forms. Also frogs are common statues so there can also be a third "statue" power up.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
3D World was excellent. Very precisely-designed. It did exactly what it set out to do; create a 3D Mario inspired by 2D Mario (so basically...3D Land) but with multiplayer.

Like NSMBU, I think that formula has already run its course, however. Are people interested in multiplayer for these kinds of games? I'm the only person in my friend group who's ever really been interested in playing 2-4 players simultaneously in these kinds of games. It requires patience and teamwork, which not a lot of people have. Might be worth it to just scrap that entire idea for now.

What I want Nintendo to do is take risks with their Mario games from now on. Odyssey worked out very well for them, and it's basically a game developed purely to reinvigorate the formula of 64 and Sunshine. If anything, a return to 3D World would hold the Mario games back. I think a lot of us in the audience would like something a bit different. If not adventure platforming, then platforming with a particular style and fresh gimmicks. Level design inspired by free-roaming would be a plus, as Nintendo is JUST getting back into that mold and I think the approach has some longevity after the praise of games likes Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, and other games that are a bit open-ended and let you choose your own path.

As for art direction, I appreciated 3D World's clean, inspired design. Odyssey is refreshing as it's kind of all over the place, which is the point. Next time, Nintendo should change the aesthetic. Hand-drawn, cel-shaded, painting-esque, whatever. If they want to keep Mario's momentum going they have to keep the audience continually engaged through game design while offering visually-fresh experiences.

All that said, BRING BACK YOSHI AS HE WAS IN SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2! Such an underrated part of the game, and used way too sparingly. The IR pointer controls were so perfect, but they can be nearly replicated by gyro.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Ehh I wouldn't be against it but it would fly in the face of what they were trying to do by revamping Zelda and Mario.

I'd rather get a full
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

I would be happy to see an Odyssey 2 in 2020 or so, like Galaxy 2

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd take any 3D Mario game from EAD Tokyo. Basically every Mario platform game released since New Super Mario Bros. on DS has been great.

Something tells me that the next Mario game will be a 2D title though. In a recent interview they send some winks and nudges in that direction.
The same goes for another 3D Mario on Switch. They wouldn't rule it out, in fact, hinted strongly that it would happen.

With Odyssey being a success I imagine that they'll continue the 'yellow' path of Galaxy -> Galaxy 2 -> 3D Land -> 3D World as well as the red path of 64 -> Sunshine -> Odyssey.
Nintendo showed those two types of development pipelines for a reason.

If I had to take an educated guess I'd say Holiday 2018 will focus on a new Donkey Kong (Country). 2019 will have a 2D Mario (spring) and holiday 2019 a 3D Mario from the 'yellow path'.
Earlier next year they already have Yoshi and Kirby lined-up so Mario will probably skip a year outside of a possible Mario Maker Switch release. Not sure how they'll fit a 2D Mario in next years release schedule unless it's a 3DS game.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
You're kinda right.

Galaxy/3D is focused on beating a level. Something that's more like the spirit of the original 2D Mario games. You have a goal to reach at the end of the obstacle course. For Galaxy they sometimes reused or remixed levels with a new objective to collect the Star at the end and they also hide some stars within a level too. So in a way it's kind of a mix. 3D Land/World just gives you a flagpole to reach at the end and really doubles down on that 2D Mario design in a 3D space.

The others are more about finding secrets in a large level. You can spend hours in Odyssey within the same level finding Moons. Sometimes they're in plain site. Sometimes they're hidden behind doors that make you do a specific obstacle course. There are differences between each game. But that's kind of the simple summary of it.

To me both Odyssey and 3D World are the pinnacle of each diverging game style. Odyssey goes completely open and 3D World goes completely linear. They're both on opposite ends of the spectrum. Which is why I think there's room for both.

Cool! From the sounds of it, Odyssey is more my thing.

I absolutely love the idea of coming across a level, seeing something out of reach, and maybe not being able to get it for hours until I find the right tools or that moment clicks.

Zelda was kind of like that (GBC), and Id love to play more games like it.

AdropOFvenom

Oct 27, 2017
I liked 3D World, but I prefer my Mario less linear, less "stages", more exploration.

My dream Mario is probably them taking the Odyssey type of world ideas and applying it to an open world, to be honest.

So yeah, probably not my first choice. I'll gladly take a Switch Port of 3D World though.

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
I would love a linear Mario like 3d World, which is amazing and haters be damned, but I really dont know where they can go from there. It was the absolute pinnacle of linear platforming, to me

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I hope they find courage to drop a Galaxy 3 sometime in the future, but I feel like nintendo thinks two galaxies is enough I'm afraid.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, this is what ive been saying, large 3d exploration mario and course 3d mario can co exist. I love odyssey but i also love 3d world.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be great if Nintendo continued 3D Land/World style Mario in parallel with bigger 3D games. Same goes for portable style Zelda, really.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely prefer linear Mario over the sandbox games but honestly, I'm kinda hoping for more Galaxy. Galaxy 2 is one of my favorite games ever and Odyssey hasn't lived up to it yet.