• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

maneauleau

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Absolutely! It's probably my favourite 3D Mario game. I love the instant gameplay and the minimal story. Levels are short and fun and can be enjoyed with others. You can play cooperatively or competitively. I just wish they would get rid of the punitive timer.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Galaxy: Yes
3D world: No

I feel there is a HUGE difference between both games.

Super Mario Galaxy felt like there was more variety. Some levels were like an assault course where you had to get from A to B while avoiding hazards (The battleship levels are a good example). Some levels are a hub where more exploration is required (Like the beach based levels). The gravity added some fun new ways to navigate through levels by playing with gravity. Also, it's space and I love space. I would just stare at the night sky in Oblivion for ages for example.

3D World is the Wii U one, right? Not bad. It was nice and I enjoyed it but it felt like every level was an isometric assault course. I didn't feel like there was a change in pace between the levels or any interesting ways to navigate levels.

Last edited:

Phire Phox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell no. Worst 3D Mario game by a large margin. I want more stuff in the vain of 64/Odyssey/Sunshine.

Yolkghost

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I think it'd be nice to have 3 different types of Mario. I'd love for Odyssey to be the standard going forward with different outfits for Mario and possession becoming a series regular (although I fear both will only be a feature of Odyssey), then a 3D land franchise to keep 3d games using power-ups but segmented levels and our traditional 2D Mario - which can be covered through Mario maker switch.

I can kind of see us getting these to sustain the switch line-up for years.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Would absolutely love it. The Joycon setup is perfect for the style, and they could finally add online multiplayer. Both styles of Mario are great and I hope Nintendo continues them both.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would love a sequel to 3D World. It's the best Mario has controlled in such a long time and I love the level design so much.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would die a very happy person if I got to look back on my life and I 100%ed both Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario 3D World 2. Especially if they repeat themselves á la the Galaxy series with the sequel being even substantially better.

Maybe it's not *that* important in my life but it'll still be wonderful lol.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Mario is going to receive a direct sequel then hopefully Odyssey 2, Galaxy 3 and Sunshine 2 are way higher on that priority list than 3D World.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's super great if you got to play it multiplayer the whole time. If you play it solo, it's essentially an amped up 3d land in hd...so definitely fun, but nothing ultimately very special unlike Odyssey or Galaxy.

Didn't like it as much as 3D Land. It's the only Mario game I don't think was worth playing... Was just super uninteresting. Went through 95% of it on auto-pilot.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Like what? I can't think of many things, let alone a lot.

The main plot line multi moons play like 3D World stages with expanded exploration areas. Obviously it's nice to have the full freedom of movement back, but the stage design actually does come out of Galaxy and 3D World's playbook.

It feels like a 3D World with expanded movement options but less emphasis on platforming a lot of the time, all the way up to the true finale world.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
No. The classical Mario formula in 3D environments doesn't click on me that much even though I liked 3D World that much.

I'd rather to see a Galaxy sequel since its formula has more potential to show off more creativity on the power ups and the level design.

Yet, I wouldn't mind to see a deluxe edition of 3D Word for the Switch "More stages and maybe Daisy as playable character?"

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely am hoping for something more like 3D world next. Hayashida would be a great lead on it, while Koizumi continues with the sandbox games.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny to see people saying "3D World gets too much hate." I feel like I mostly see people praising that game. Especially before the great migration.

I'm down for another multiplayer focused 3D Mario. But I also don't want to wait another 10 years before we get another exploration focused mario ala 64, sunshine and odyssey.

Odyssey is so damn good that I want them to keep going.

Maybe they could churn out a 3D world type mario to tide us over. But I just don't want linear 2D mario design elements in my 3D Mario every single time.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Fuck I hope so, but only if the second team is working on it, I had no idea how much I missed open 3D marios.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny to see people saying "3D World gets too much hate." I feel like I mostly see people praising that game. Especially before the great migration.

I'm down for another multiplayer focused 3D Mario. But I also don't want to wait another 10 years before we get another exploration focused mario ala 64, sunshine and odyssey.

Odyssey is so damn good that I want them to keep going.

Maybe they could churn out a 3D world type mario to tide us over. But I just don't want linear 2D mario design elements in my 3D Mario every single time.
Yea, I don't really see that much hate here at all (or the old place). Same with Tropical freeze that is supposedly super underrated, yet praised as the best 2d plat ever here. I see more mixed reactions some other places, but regardless, I don't see another game like 3d land/world happening for awhile now that Odyssey is selling gangbusters.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They need to make a Switch port first because that game deserved better than to be exclusive to the fucking Wii U.

MissingString

Oct 28, 2017
If 3D World (and new 2D Mario games) are delivered on off years between big open world Mario games, then I'm totally down. I loved the simplicity of 3D World. It was fast paced in a way that the more leisurely open world games aren't.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3D World the best 3D Mario....Co op was seriously amazing.

Ya for sure. One of my best gaming memories is me and my son Christmas Day having a blast going through the levels. I can understand maybe not liking it that much if you have no one to play with, but one of the best co op games ever made easily.

johnwege

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really wanting a HD remake of Super Mario 64, I would also be happy with one for Sunshine or the Galaxy games. I want the Mario series to get some of the HD remake love from Nintendo that the Zelda series has been getting

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

3D World initially got a ton of hate because it was not Galaxy 3. I still remember the nerd rage on GAF when it was announced. It's only later that people realized it's a brilliant Mario game in its own right.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I actually disagree. Odyssey is more of a game about exploration whereas 3D World is more focused linearity. They also control a lot differently.
For all its focus on exploration, there's still a lot of set goals you have to accomplish to finish, and in doing so you move through stages that are designed very similarly to Galaxy/3D. I really don't think there's as much of a divide between the two as they advertise, when it comes right down to the general level design and objectives.

Obviously Odyssey ramps up the exploration to a huge degree, but going through New Donk for the first time reminded me a lot of the levels in Galaxy 2, just with less outright platforming. Even the general design of the kingdoms seems to evoke 3D World a bit more than 64/Sunshine by being relatively blocky and simple geometric areas.

lol, not much.

It's been a while since I've played it but doesn't 3D World have a run button? And it doesn't even have proper 3D camera control. It's basically a 2D Mario game in 3D.

The control differs greatly, but beyond that it's kinda superficial. All of the platforming challenge areas would be right at home in 3D World, both in aesthetic design and objective. Some areas of the outer kingdoms as well (Steam Gardens comes to mind with it's maze areas).

Odyssey, to me, feels like a perfect marriage of the two styles. I just wish it had a little more emphasis on platforming to really make use of those fantastic controls.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darmik

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the levels behind the hat doors in Odyssey are very similar to stuff found in 3D World in my experience. Basically an obstacle course with a unique hook. Just a lot shorter and more simple since they're side things in Odyssey.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely want a sequel to 3D World and I think we will get one on the Switch eventually. That 4 player multiplayer is very special. I think we will get a 2d Mario game first though.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For all its focus on exploration, there's still a lot of set goals you have to accomplish to finish, and in doing so you move through stages that are designed very similarly to Galaxy/3D. I really don't think there's as much of a divide between the two as they advertise, when it comes right down to it.

Obviously Odyssey ramps up the exploration to a huge degree, but going through New Donk for the first time reminded me a lot of the levels in Galaxy 2, just with less outright platforming. Even the general design of the kingdoms seems to evoke 3D World a bit more than 64/Sunshine by being relatively blocky and simple geometric areas.
It's still essentially 64's formula in ways, just altered so that instead of focusing on a few major objectives, you get a lot of lesser important objectives with a few major objectives thrown in. I'd also honestly argue that 3D World is a lot different than Galaxy due to pacing and level design. 3D World plays like a classic Mario game if it were in 3D whereas Odyssey is pretty unique in that you utilize animals to overcome obstacles and explore large maps.

Another thing to note is that in games like Galaxy and Odyssey, you require certain power ups to progress through the level whereas in 3D World you don't need them except for specific secrets. Odyssey borrows from several Mario games, but I do really feel you get a different kind of appeal per se compared to 3D series.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the levels behind the hat doors in Odyssey are very similar to stuff found in 3D World in my experience. Basically an obstacle course with a unique hook. Just a lot shorter and more simple since they're side things in Odyssey.
To be fair, those types of levels were already in sunshine first. I like them in those short bursts and side missions, but not as a full 3d mario game.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're kinda right.

Galaxy/3D is focused on beating a level. Something that's more like the spirit of the original 2D Mario games. You have a goal to reach at the end of the obstacle course. For Galaxy they sometimes reused or remixed levels with a new objective to collect the Star at the end and they also hide some stars within a level too. So in a way it's kind of a mix. 3D Land/World just gives you a flagpole to reach at the end and really doubles down on that 2D Mario design in a 3D space.

The others are more about finding secrets in a large level. You can spend hours in Odyssey within the same level finding Moons. Sometimes they're in plain site. Sometimes they're hidden behind doors that make you do a specific obstacle course. There are differences between each game. But that's kind of the simple summary of it.

To me both Odyssey and 3D World are the pinnacle of each diverging game style. Odyssey goes completely open and 3D World goes completely linear. They're both on opposite ends of the spectrum. Which is why I think there's room for both.

This is exactly what I've been thinking, and to add it to it - I think this is why many people liked the Galaxy games, as they are a combination of the stricter "finishing levels, within a set space" from the 2D games, 3D Land and 3D World, vs. the "exploration and switching between paths" of 64, and now Odyssey (When I say "switching between paths" - I mean that you are not forced to reach a specific goal, but you can choose from many goals (stars, moons), when you feel like it - it customises your play-through more than just choosing levels in a world, out of order - like 3-1, 3-3, 3-2, for example).

In the first case, the emphasis is mostly on platforming skills, where camera positioning and power-ups change the gameplay. In the second case, you mostly use/re-use existing moves to explore.

But, Galaxy 1/2 added more regular power-ups, compared to 64, and kept its full analogue control. Although Galaxy 1/2 have specific levels/stars to collect, like 64, not all of the galaxies are open sandbox areas (like 64). So, you can't explore/switch paths in every galaxy. Galaxies also aren't intertwined, if I remember, rightly. But, that might be why there seemed to be more of a focus on level design for platforming overall, in Galaxy 1/2. That was likely true for some galaxies, but not others.

Odyssey of course, has power-ups, but it has now gone further, since you can possess creatures to obtain temporary power-ups suited to each area, rather than just static powers. It also has secret rooms with platforming sections more akin to 3D World and Galaxy 1/2, but are a smaller fraction of the whole of Odyssey, than those kinds of platforming levels would provide in 3D World and Galaxy 1/2.

If you prefer each aspect equally, you'll probably like the Galaxy games more than either 3D World or Odyssey/64.
If you prefer exploration, you might prefer Odyssey/64, over 3D World, but not necessarily Galaxy.
If you prefer linear levels/a platforming focus, you may prefer 3D World over Odyssey/64, but not necessarily Galaxy.

So, I'd basically like Nintendo to develop 3D World further, and make a sequel with full analogue control, and no-timer (or a longer timer) - maybe to allow levels to be interlinked?
Also, a Galaxy sequel - maybe with varying levels of gravity or non-static planets.
And also an Odyssey sequel, where the power-ups/possession idea becomes even more subtle - but it's kinda hard for me to say what that is... Maybe more control over inanimate objects, or a greater ability to personify objects/creatures, for platforming mechanics - like the woodpeckers you see later in the game.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Add me to the list of people who prefer the 64/Sunshine/Odyssey approach. I didn't enjoy 3D World that much and found it very unmemorable as a whole.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of this, I'd like a Galaxy 2-esque follow-up to Odyssey, either as DLC or a full game. So more ways to use existing Captures, new Captures, new Kingdoms and perhaps even have Wario back as a villain.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll buy anything that the Mario team puts out since their games are some of the best in the industry.

That said please no. Obstacle based Mario had over a decade to shine and I'm loving the return to the sandbox style. I don't want to see it be a one and done deal when I think there is a lot more they could innovate with in an Odyssey style game than a 3D World style game.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
No I'm hoping for Mario Maker 2. I think it's likely that's what we're getting too. Nintendo will want this and Smash to push their online service. After that I want a port of Galaxy 1+2. Imagine having these gems also portable.

3DW was a average game imo. I didn't even finish it.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Maybe it's super great if you got to play it multiplayer the whole time. If you play it solo, it's essentially an amped up 3d land in hd...so definitely fun, but nothing ultimately very special unlike Odyssey or Galaxy.
It's basically the Mario Sunshine challenge stages the entire game, which is the best parts of Odyssey and sunshine IMO.

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, in no particular order I'd like to see the following:

• Galaxy 1 & 2 on virtual console - never owned a Wii / Wii U
  • Mario Maker 2
  • Additional titles in the Odyssey series

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how the OP said he wanted 3D World like games in parallel with Odyssey-like games and many poster are replying that only Odyssey-like games deserve to exist. I would like what the OP is suggesting because 3D Mario is so expansive that one type of game (even something as great as Odyssey) doesn't encompass what everyone sees as a 3D Mario game. Plus, I'm sorry, but I'm preferring having a run button than being forced to long jump just to get anywhere.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I thought 3D World was ok, but I would vastly prefer Galaxy 3 or an Odyssey 2. Whatever it is, I just hope it's not four years away.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought 3D World was ok, but I would vastly prefer Galaxy 3 or an Odyssey 2. Whatever it is, I just hope it's not four years away.

But Galaxy 3 was 3D World. It was the natural extension of the style of those games. It just exchanged a space coat of paint with a carnival coat of paint. If Galaxy 3 was made, I would not be surprise if it aped wholesale a lot from 3D world and other people just didn't noticed. I really want them to keep the multiple characters from 3D world because Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Rosalina deserve to be playable in a 3D Mario game, dang it.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
But Galaxy 3 was 3D World. It was the natural extension of the style of those games. It just exchanged a space coat of paint with a carnival coat of paint. If Galaxy 3 was made, I would not be surprise if it aped wholesale a lot from 3D world and other people just didn't noticed. I really want them to keep the multiple characters from 3D world because Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Rosalina deserve to be playable in a 3D Mario game, dang it.

Hmm, 3D World was definitely not in the Galaxy vein. Perspective, control, objective structure -- all different.

To your playable character point, I think it would be cool if a game in the 64/Sunshine/Odyssey lane had worlds with certain stars/shines/moons that could only be reached by certain characters because of their abilities. But that might be getting too close to the hellscape that is DK64...

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, of course. The split joycon playstyle is just begging for one of these. I think it would be the ideal multiplayer Mario experience on Switch, rather than hamfisting split-screen into an Odyssey sequel, or another NSMB. I also don't feel like Nintendo has run them dry yet, so where's the harm? Surprised to see an even split between everyone on the idea.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
3D World itself was already 3D Land 2. While I enjoyed both games a ton I think it is important for 3D Mario to switch things up lest it becomes like 2D Mario. So in that sense I don't want them returning to the Galaxy series either even though both those games are in my top games ever.