• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
A more focused platforming game would be cool, with or without multiplayer support, but I don't think that needs to be a 3D world/land sequel. Certainly it shouldn't take any cues from that series when it comes to controls, and frankly a more interesting visual+environment theme would be better.

One way or another there is certain to be a non-Odyssey style Mario release in the coming years, whether it be 2D or 3D.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I never got really far into World because I had issues with the world being 3D and the camera not really showing the dept of the ground and platforms well, you could jump from one place to another and fall of the level.

I did really love 3D Land and finished that one.

echofive

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to see a Mario RPG on Switch. Paper Mario would do but would love to see another SMRPG style game.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
All I want is more Odyssey please.

Anything for more Luncheon Kingdom.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I would love a 3D World follow up. I generally prefer Mario games that focus on platforming, and 4-player co-op is a big deal for me. That said, I won't bother "hoping" for a 3D World sequel next, because I'm pretty sure Odyssey's success is going to dictate the direction of the next 3D Mario.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, 3D World was definitely not in the Galaxy vein. Perspective, control, objective structure -- all different.

To your playable character point, I think it would be cool if a game in the 64/Sunshine/Odyssey lane had worlds with certain stars/shines/moons that could only be reached by certain characters because of their abilities. But that might be getting too close to the hellscape that is DK64...

I don't think that should be in the game. But I would like stars/shines/moons to be available to be easier for one person, but harder for the rest. Kind of like how you can get some of the moons in Odyssey without capturing despite it being easier. For example, there is a moon in the Sea Kingdom that you can capture a starfish enemy to get. But you can also use a combination of hat throws, dives, and wall jumps to get that moon as well. So like say there's a star located that's further than normal. The "normal" way to get it would be to use Peach's floating ability but Toad's long jump gets there and more complex tricks with Mario and Luigi gets you there as well. That way there's clear advantages to using one character but you don't get stuck with being forced to switch characters all the time.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely! Odyssey is fantastic and right up on my list of favorite games of all time, but I really liked the structure of 3D Land/World. It was also a great way to implement multiplayer into a 3D Mario game without making it "too easy". Give me that, and a top-down Zelda (possibly with Four Swords/Triforce Heroes multiplayer) next please!

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not I. I didn't care that much for 3D World. I beat it, did none of the extra stuff and never replayed it. Just a very forgettable game to me. I prefer the more exploration focused platfomers like Odyssey.

If they want to go back to a more platformer focused one I'd rather see Mario Galaxy 3.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think that should be in the game. But I would like stars/shines/moons to be available to be easier for one person, but harder for the rest. Kind of like how you can get some of the moons in Odyssey without capturing despite it being easier. For example, there is a moon in the Sea Kingdom that you can capture a starfish enemy to get. But you can also use a combination of hat throws, dives, and wall jumps to get that moon as well. So like say there's a star located that's further than normal. The "normal" way to get it would be to use Peach's floating ability but Toad's long jump gets there and more complex tricks with Mario and Luigi gets you there as well. That way there's clear advantages to using one character but you don't get stuck with being forced to switch characters all the time.

Oh yeah, that would be a great way of going about multiple characters.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Same thing I thought when I read "multiple playable characters in odyssey style." This would honestly be pretty fun if done right.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
But Galaxy 3 was 3D World. It was the natural extension of the style of those games. It just exchanged a space coat of paint with a carnival coat of paint. If Galaxy 3 was made, I would not be surprise if it aped wholesale a lot from 3D world and other people just didn't noticed. I really want them to keep the multiple characters from 3D world because Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Rosalina deserve to be playable in a 3D Mario game, dang it.
It really wasn't though. Galaxy 1 and 2 both still had traditional 3d mario gameplay. Healthbar, SM64 style powerups, controls, full camera control, no time limit, missions like 64 and galaxy, and even a handful of galaxies that were open to an extent like beach bowl, honey hive, etc.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's safe to say 3D World was a sequel to 3D Land. I loved it so I wouldn't mind another. However, I think the praise 3D World gets is insane. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent game but it wasn't the new 3D Mario game I wanted for a major Nintendo console and I saw most of it before in 3D Land. It felt like a bigger and better version of 3D Land. But I still enjoyed it.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
A followup to 3DW with Odyssey's audiovisual ambition is all I want out of 3D Mario.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly off topic.. but I think it's time for Super Mario All Stars 2.. with all of Wii and WiiU Mario games on it, (Wii ones upgraded).

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
I have 3D world on the Wii u and love it.

Having said that, I'd rather they just rerelease it for Switch and make odyssey 2. I'm in love with odyssey lol.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really wasn't though. Galaxy 1 and 2 both still had traditional 3d mario gameplay. Healthbar, SM64 style powerups, controls, full camera control, no time limit, missions like 64 and galaxy, and even a handful of galaxies that were open to an extent like beach bowl, honey hive, etc.
I think it's safe to say 3D World was a sequel to 3D Land. I loved it so I wouldn't mind another. However, I think the praise 3D World gets is insane. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent game but it wasn't the new 3D Mario game I wanted for a major Nintendo console and I saw most of it before in 3D Land. It felt like a bigger and better version of 3D Land. But I still enjoyed it.

I mean, Nintendo seems to think so. There was an image somewhere that shows that they put Galaxy, Galaxy 2, and 3D World on the same group and 64 and Sunshine on a different group. And in design, 3D World is an extension of Koizumi's level design that appears in those games. It definitely IS more refined than in the Galaxy games to the point of following more of 2D Mario's and 3D Land but it is still an extension of Galaxy's philosophies. I mainly would want a more return to goal-oriented platforming and multiple characters with unique abilities (but shared core mechanics) which is what 3D World offered more than the Galaxy games.

TotalMackerel

Oct 26, 2017
I would love to see a sequel or enhanced port of 3D World. I couldn't get enough of that game and Odyssey doesn't scratch the same itch.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly hope we never see another 3DWorld/Land game ever again. The multiplayer felt tacked on and hindered the already simplistic level design of 3D Land from evolving into anything bigger in 3D World. Not to mention, the movement felt so restrictive when compared to previous/"true" 3D Mario games.

The problem is that when Mario first went 3D with Mario 64, Nintendo had to rethink a lot of the concepts of the franchise, throw away a lot of the old stuff to make room for new, different stuff. That's what made Mario 64 so great in my opinion: it still felt like Mario, but it had its own identity, different from 2D Marios. 3DLand/World just feel like a direct translation from 2D Mario to 3D without rethinking anything. If feels like they just did the bare minimum: they just took 2D Mario and put it in an open space. 3D Land/3D World are the New Super Mario Bros. of 3D Mario: uninspired and lacking. Even the unremarkable art style is reminiscent of the NSMB games imo.

I also find it very uninformed to put the Galaxy games on the same side as 3DLand/World when they have very little in common. Galaxy had much more complex mechanics, movement and level design than 3DL/W. It also gave players a lot more control over the camera and overall had a lot more in common with 64/Sunshine/Odyssey than with 3DL/W. Not to mention it did have a bunch of very big, open levels.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they spin it off as a sub-series like NSMB? Sure. Honestly, 3D World was great, it's video game comfort food. It just isn't a system-seller the way Odyssey is. Nintendo needed something fresh and modern to revitalize interest in Mario (and their hardware) and Odyssey is clearly a better move than 3D World was, but Nintendo has plenty of room for lower-tier (commercially) titles like Yoshi, Kirby, NSMB, etc and I think 3DWorld fits in great there.

Maxximus

Oct 28, 2017
I would like to see previous Mario titles released on VC, and then the next Mario game needs to be a Party or RPG game (made by a big third party)

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh

I'm not going to lie, it's the main thing I have against Odyssey. I get that the idea is that there are different art styles and I understand that and I like that they did it, but it really shows off the limitations of the console, especially when you look at their attempt of "realistic" grass textures and foliage for example. Captain Toad looks absolutely amazing as everything is consistent and the lighting it uses looks spectacular. That was what I was hoping the next 3D Mario game would look like, albeit obviously with the open worlds that we got. I personally think a lot of the kingdoms in Odyssey would look far better on a graphical level, as well as age better in a few years, if they had kept with Captain Toad's look than what we ended up with. But again, I know it was a design decision based on the idea of an odyssey with different locales.

As for the topic, I wouldn't mind seeing another game like 3D World. I really enjoyed it. But personally I'd rather see something fresh in the 2D series next. Do something crazy with that.

Or a HD remake of Mario 64...

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going throw out there that they could essentially take the 3d world style and make a DK game with it where I think it would fit way more. 3d DK shouldn't be a collectathon like 64, but an action plarformer. And the co-op and being able to have the kongs combine for things makes so much sense.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Nintendo seems to think so. There was an image somewhere that shows that they put Galaxy, Galaxy 2, and 3D World on the same group and 64 and Sunshine on a different group. And in design, 3D World is an extension of Koizumi's level design that appears in those games. It definitely IS more refined than in the Galaxy games to the point of following more of 2D Mario's and 3D Land but it is still an extension of Galaxy's philosophies. I mainly would want a more return to goal-oriented platforming and multiple characters with unique abilities (but shared core mechanics) which is what 3D World offered more than the Galaxy games.
Oh, I agree they're in different groups. Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are more linear compared to 64, Sunshine, and even Odyssey. That's apparent. Linear vs open-ended. I think 3D World is definitely more linear in structure. So with that knowledge, yeah, I would say they're related. I was just questioning the praise 3D World gets because in may discussions I've had about it, everybody seems to forget it's already been done before in 3D Land, hence why it disappointed me as a main 3D Mario game. I usually expect some brand new gimmick or mechanic when it comes to the 3D games, linear or otherwise.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting - because I'm very much against the opinion of Odyssey being a Sunshine successor.

After being deeply immersed the past few days, It feels like the natural conclusion to everything the Mario team have been working on since 64 - not to mention what Nintendo have been developing over the years.

64 Introduced large levels with Multiple Objectives
Sunshine then made large levels change depending on objective, linking them together
Then Galaxy took the open world design of 64 and applied it to smaller play spaces that were linked together in a linear fashion, and made Objectives and the Levels a single entity.

3D Land and World felt like an attempt to take what they had learnt from those games and apply them to the framework of 2D Mario - Levels always have an end point you're funneled towards which aligns with the main objective, but you always have objectives off the main path too (Star Medals, Green Stars)

Odyssey just feels like an expansion on that into an open-world framework - Levels are still designed to push you towards the headline objective (usually rewarded with a treble-moon) but the green star numbers have been expanded into their own tasks. There's a definite hierarchy to what objectives are more important, and I think the game sings for it.

Considering all the side excursions (Hat Doors, the Clouds, Pipes and Chimneys) that lead directly into more linear, platform focused challenge, I don't feel like they'd need to return to the framework of 3D World, at least as a successor to Odyssey. Not saying I wouldn't love another game like 3D World, but considering there's a lot of it in Odyssey I don't feel it's necessary.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I'm honestly really hoping for Nintendo to give Tokyo EAD a shot at a 2D Mario with their usual production flair. I feel like it'd suit them very well. It's been 5 years since a new 2D Mario (not counting mario maker) and I feel like I'd rather see that than a follow up to 3D world (though I loved both a lot).

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3d world is the worst 3d Mario game they have ever released and is straight garbage imo

So no, don't do it Nintendo.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Im not going back to a 3D Mario that has a shitty long jump, no triple jump, no dive and a time limit on stages.

The platforming challenges and capture mechanic absolutely crush anything in 3D World. (Aside from the 500 moons unlock level being a bit on the easy side)

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take a 3DW sequel, but only if it's got more post-game stuff to do. The post game stuff in 3DW was incredible and it finally felt like the game was getting challenging, but there wasn't much of it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
With the way Nintendo's been firing on all cylinders as of late, I'll play whatever the hell Mario game they put in front of me at this point, and likely love it. I'm simply blown away by Odyssey.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's the best 3D mario game i ever played

It's the only Mario title ever invented with a good multiplayer mode

so yes, i'd be more excited for that game than Odyssey 2.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
3D World was a step down from Galaxy, but a phenomenal game overall.

Honestly, my faith in Tokyo EAD is so high that I do not give a fuck about what they choose to work on. They made a fucking bongo-controlled platformer. I don't think they can do any wrong.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
3d world is the worst 3d Mario game they have ever released and is straight garbage imo

So no, don't do it Nintendo.
3D world is a masterpiece. I would cheer tears of joy if a sequel is happening.
hIi7kVk.jpg

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
Now that I've gotten my 64 sequel, I'm more than ready for a sequel to my next favorite Mario 3DWorld. Hell, I'd take an up port with online play.

They nailed multiplayer Mario so beautifully in 3DWorld.

Both can coexist. They're entirely different games.

One is an arcade score attack the other is a sandbox collectathon platformer

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
3D World was already a sequel to 3D Land, and Nintendo doesn't like to make too many 3D Mario games in the same mold. I'd prefer Odyssey 2 with more fleshed out platforming rooms.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I've gotten my 64 sequel, I'm more than ready for a sequel to my next favorite Mario 3DWorld. Hell, I'd take an up port with online play.

They nailed multiplayer Mario so beautifully in 3DWorld.

Both can coexist. They're entirely different games.

One is an arcade score attack the other is a sandbox collectathon platformer
I think people are nervous about the sandbox style going on hiatus again for another 15+ years though.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They have such a good track record that I don't care what they choose to do, because I'm sure it will be great, as has everything the Tokyo team has done. Now that the Switch supports gamecube controllers I fully expect a Junglebeat sequel

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
3D World is my least favorite Mario game but they definitely had something there with the multiplayer stuff, so maybe expanding on that would be cool. I just wasn't a fan of the art style or mechanics. Maybe I'm just burnt out on linear Mario though.