• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No? I mean that guy she was talking with was pretty respectful from what I saw, she was the one with the attitude problem. Not sure why I'd feel like I'm the one who has to tread lightly because of that.

Honestly though everyone would be so much better off getting rid of Twitter. It's nothing but poison.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
This is an interesting framework for this statement.
i mean, with all that happened with the ArenaNet situation, that was the conclusion OP came with? the condescending was in relation to the guy that talked with price, not OP, if that wasn't clear. he basically dismissed her whole thread with his responses.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Just a thought: maybe you shouldn't be concerned with how women react to your input, but instead concern yourself with the rampant sexism in games that motivate women like Price to react strongly to input from men.

I think that would be a better use of energy.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
If you're going to tell a developer how to do their job, do it in the pre-agreed upon socially acceptable way.

Make a 45-minute Youtube analysis video.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
If you're going to tell a developer how to do their job, do it in the pre-agreed upon socially acceptable way.

Make a 45-minute Youtube analysis video.

Or hire them. Then you can tell them how to do their job. Still don't be an asshole about it though.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A7n3HDq.png

OP
OP
chaos_planes

chaos_planes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People, I never said I wouldn't talk with women over Twitter. Please stop strawmanning my argument. I explicitly said would you change your behaviours with respect to talking about game development topics with women devs. Especially if you are not a dev yourself. Please, read the OP. This is ridiculous amounts of thread derailment.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People, I never said I wouldn't talk with women over Twitter. Please stop strawmanning my argument. I explicitly said would you change your behaviours with respect to talking about game development topics with women devs. Especially if you are not a dev yourself. Please, read the OP. This is ridiculous amounts of thread derailment.

That's not what the OP says.

"However, have the firings and subsequent discussions and thought pieces made you re-think engaging and and discussing development topics with women in the industry over twitter?"

Your OP was very poorly worded if you aren't asking people if they'll continue to engage with women devs.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
If a dev made a whole thread regarding a topic they've been struggling on and you would have a non-dev trying to suggest things without any "real" background. No matter how much you've "analysed" games, implementing and workout out a product is different.
Otherwise any game reviewer would be able to step into game studios with their pluses and minuses and tell those devs what to do.

It doesn't even matter male or female.

That's why GDC is so great, because devs would be able to talk to their peers.
When the dev is wanting a reaction from the community, thats the moment you can jump in with your thoughts.

Also the guy wasn't even providing feedback, but he was disagreeing and telling she wasn't thinking about the problem right and that it was solution lies elsewhere. No matter how much you sugar coat that, to just hear that from someone with no real writing background is shitty.
It would've been better (looking back at it now) that she left it at that, but sadly that imploded to the mess that it is now.

If you're willing to partake or start a discussion, come with discussion points and not a paragraph on twitter (the worst medium to have discussions).

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
She was wrong but she didn't need to be fired over it at all

Yeah this is where I stand. Firing was completely over the line and a terrible move since now they basically gave GG the power to fire anyone over at ArenaNet that they don't like. I understand why she reacted that way but I didn't see anything rude in what the guy was saying, I was expecting much worse considering what I heard.

OT: But yeah unless it's positive feedback I don't think it's good to talk to devs at all.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Damn bro the point is to do it better and be more conscientious of your interactions with them, which probably includes doing it less, but still it's always an opportunity to improve your interactions with women developers and be a positive agent instead of not.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
She was wrong but she didn't need to be fired over it at all

The firing has nothing to do with this thread in the manner the OP intended. The firing was the result of a "conversation" between a female game-dev and a Twitter user (albeit a very influential in the games community)
The Op is asking if we should not engage with female devs on Twitter because of this, which in itself is a backward view for everything Gender equality, feminism and liberal thinking stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.