• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Warning Spiderman PS4 SPOILERS

Having finished spiderman PS4 recently the ending just felt so ...meh story wise because of these 2 character's story in this game feeling so shallow.

Both of these characters feel like they've been severely underdeveloped especially with how they were handeld compared to say spiderman 2 the movie by Sam rami.
The game really didn't make me care about each of these characters at all and their fate at the end just left me feeling meh whatever.

For example I couldn't get behind Dr. Oc's motives at all. His reason felt stupid and childish ( especially compared to Spiderman 2 the movie, where you could feel / connect more with Dr. Oc cause his tragic story of his wife dying due to his experiment going wrong) they really should have told more backstory for him regarding his relationship with Norman. Also his relationship with peter felt sooo non-existent too. At the end peter is crying his heart out for him and I'm like wtf why, entire game these two didn't feel like they had a close relationship ( again compared to spiderman 2 movie where dr. Oc inviting peter to dinner with his wife, where you could know him better ). This games relationship between the two felt like a work colleague bossying Peter around to do x for him and that's about it. So yeah that whole melodramatic scene at thetend made me feel nothing due to how much meh this version of Dr. Oc was in this game

Also aunt aunt may, she felt like a character you only seen few times and they didn't really have many interactions with her especially the 2nd half of the game where I forgot she was still in this game. When she reappeared at the end I'm like uh am I supposed to feel for this character dying ? Only reason I could is because I know the character more cause I watched the spiderman movies, the cartoons etc. If this was just a game character and i had no prior Spidey knowledge I wouldn't have felt anything for her death cause again she wasnt in this game very much and her interactions with peter was so distant after the first couple hours of the game

So yeah I'm just bummed of these two characters ruining the melodrama at the end for me :/

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Er.. you might want to edit that title.
His reveal is a pretty major part of the second half.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Um Aunt May has been developed for the last 50 years or so...we know Aunt May, just because this is new universe doesn't mean we don't "get it"

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, are people actually trying to say that Doctor Octavius being Doctor Octopus is a spoiler?

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, if you guys think that's a spoiler, wait till you find out who becomes Green Goblin in the comics.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
No, i wasn't.

Both relationships were built throughout the game and were thoughtful and plausible.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, are people actually trying to say that Doctor Octavius being Doctor Octopus is a spoiler?
The moment I saw him in game, I knew for a fact he'd turn evil at some point. Anyone who has watched the movies or has any general knowledge of Spider-Man villains can not say with a straight face that they had no idea.

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
As someone who is already way into Spider-Man, I guess those relationships just made sense to me. The Octavius/Peter dynamic isn't taken directly from the comics, but it's very much inspired by how it ended up playing out. Aunt May was 100% faithful to recent interpretations of the character, especially towards the end.

IDK, because Peter is so established in this game, I was able to buy into things that maybe weren't outright said. I think they'll have a harder time in the next go round if they go where it seems like they're going.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Lol only half way through spider man and wondered if Doc Oc would show up or if they were just hinting at him for DLC or something.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I wasn't disappointed at all. His motivation made sense to me.

Aunt May was well characterized as well, and her work at FEAST is a great shorthand for her giving spirit and empathy. Helping others runs in the family.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I did find it weird how both of them knew who Spider-Man was and there were two "y...you knew?" moments like a half hour apart from each other.

I think they both had good arcs and FEAST really lends to the overall world-building, and is a great way to keep May around.

Jul 20, 2018
Before I played the game I didn't know Octavius was in it at all. When he was first introduced I wondered if he would become Doc Oc in this game, or if they'd save it for a sequel. I'd say it's a spoiler.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought Doc Oc was the best implementation ever of his character in any medium. Ant May could have done with a bit more screen shot ime, but I thought her character was done well enough, so much so that the ending had real emotional resonance.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I thought both of them in relation to peter were the best part of the game. Miles too, mj also but to a lesser extent imo.

OP
OP
Ehoavash

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
He's basically Walter white
Except Walter white had good reasons for his goals in the beginning, Doc oc just oh fuck you Norman why am I not famous, and that's about it. They could have added so much more. Also the portrayal of the doc oc character was also a bit disappointing. Hell I felt more fear/ emotions from the side villians than doc oc. Who felt more like a childish grown ass man

Status
Not open for further replies.