• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread's probably been made a bunch at the other place, sorry.

I just started a second Witcher 3 playthrough, having played the game close to when it first came out, and playing up to the first expansion.

I'm realizing that it's even better the first time, 15 hours in. The atmosphere, the righting, the presentation, music, is all there and still as good as I remember.

But there's this sense of like "Oh yeah this part!" that I'm CONSTANTLY getting that's making me realize JUST how many little things this game did so well that other games struggle to do even one of them well, that's making me realize how much of a gem it is.

The only thing that I'm really feeling this time is the lack of melanin haha. But I can't imagine that I'll drop this playthrough any time soon. It's been enough time that everything feels fresh to me even though I've seen a lot of it, and I can't wait to do Blood and Wine.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I will let you know if I end up doing a second playthrough on the XBX. That said I loved playing the DLCs.

Shifty1897

Oct 28, 2017
I think most people haven't finished Witcher 3 the first time OP. It's a huge, long, wonderful game. I did not have the warm fuzzies in my second playthrough because I was playing on Death March; I was too busy screaming as a pack of wolves took of 90% of my health.

CrayToes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of rushed my first playthrough due to time restraints and thought it was good, not great. I then spent 150 hours on my second playthrough of the base game and adored every second of it. It's one of those games that rewards you more the deeper you dig.

silver moose

Oct 27, 2017
Its not possible for me. Its a 10/10 in my first playtrough

Same for me, though I did find I appreciated the smaller details more the second time through. I'm on my third play now and I still love every second of the game. Experimenting with different builds has changed the way I play the game but has not altered my opinion of it.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
The sheer amount of content in this game is amazing, you'll be definately reminded of awesome little details and stories along the way. After putting like 200 hours into the game and the expansions, I cannot imagine doing it again, no matter how good the game is though. So many games to play, so little time...

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Played it on my PS4 when it first came out but never finished it because lack of time but I recently picked it up for cheap with all dlc for Xbox one and will be playing through it on my X. :)

foxdvd

Oct 30, 2017
I first read this thread and thought you were asking if I liked Witcher 3 better than the second game...lol

As for what you are asking, yes....but I think that had a lot to do with the patches that changed things up a bit...

Dehell

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, my second playthrough was amazing and made me realize how much I love the game. Especially the fact that, knowing the game mechanics and the world a lot better than the first time, I was able to play without the HUD and damn, that was fantastic.
Also, since I already knew the main plot, I didn't feel the need to know the following events, causing me to rush a bit in the first playthrough.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played it twice on pc and bought it last week for my PS4 Pro.

Hyped. Will platinum that one.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it on my 2nd playthrough as this time I'm more interested in the dialogues.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely, first time on the PS4, I hated every second of it, after finishing the baron part I dropped it, two years later I built a godlike gaming PC and decided to buy it again when GOTY edition dropped to like $20, think it was a couple of months ago, started playing it and I'm loving every second, I find myself that I appreciate the writing a lot more, probably has something to do with me reading ASoIaF books, so I find a lot of the archaic medieval words to be understandable whenever I see them in Witcher 3 now, also, it probably also has something to do with experiencing the game at 4k/60fps vs 1080p/25-30fps on console.

And mods rock, hate Roach's default color so I decided to turn him back, I also enabled a mod that turns off item durability, a mod that enables you to use torches while casting signs, climbing and riding horses, a mod that changes the Bear Armor set to what it originally looked like in the concept art of the game (best mod), reworked HD textures mod, infinite sprinting mod (not infinite stamina, this mod stops the dumb thing where Geralt has to stop for half a second every time he runs) and a mod that increases potion timer to what they were in Witcher 2 according to the mod creator.

So.fucking.good. I dread the day I'll be done with the game and its two DLCs.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
Playing through Witcher 3 again, I still think it's a fantastic game, but it made me realize how uneven the main questline is. Obviously Velen/Bloody Baron is a high point, but Novigrad is a real slog the second time. Once you know the story beats, you realize how little actual gameplay there is, and you're running around samey city streets rather than the lush expanses of the other areas. And while the epilogues are all great, the climax is horrendous.

What I still really enjoyed the second time were the various side quests and monster contracts. That's the heart of the Witcher to me--Geralt finding various jobs in each town, each with its own narrative twist to keep them fresh. That loop of negotiating pay > tracking > battle prep > taking down the monster was really satisfying each time, and was a little disappointed when playing through a second time that there weren't more.