• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
News: Game X is already out days/weeks before the official release date
"Well, it's time to avoid the internet"
"Oh shit, I'm screwed"
Etc, etc...

And here I am, scratching my head as always. Why is it so hard for people to avoid spoilers?

I played Uncharted games in late 2016, many years after they're released and everything was new to me. I've never get spoiled of any part of the story and plot. The same goes for many other games too, including The Last of Us and Heavy Rain which I finally played in early 2017. I absolutely never get spoiled whatsoever, because I never actively look for those games' content. Even to this day, I don't know anything about Half Life plot/story. I can start playing right now and everything will still be fresh for me. I'm more or less active at social media, and I have lots of friends who are into gaming. They're nice people, fortunately. On Youtube, I never follow gaming related channels so my homepage is only filled with music videos. And that's it, I don't think I've done anything special to avoid spoilers.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Only time I've been spoilt is in a spoiler-free thread for Uncharted 4 back on GAF, where someone posted a pic from the end of the game. Otherwise, I can avoid all other channels where there may be spoilers, I just thought I was safe in a thread marked spoiler free.

That said, I finished God of War and went on YouTube and had a thumbnail of an important part of the story in my recommended section. YouTube sucks.

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Got the ending of God of War spoiled for me

Hard to avoid spoilers unless you do a complete media blackout

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Same, never bothered much about spoilers, especially if they are written, not visual spoilers like videos and screenshots. Even when I saw them, it's usually not affecting my enjoyment, I'm playing to experience this stuff by myself regardless

grunkleFungus

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
NC, US
To be honest I don't much care about spoilers. If the game's good, it isn't about "oh X was really dead the entire time!!!", It's about how it gets there and the ramifications of it.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
No, because I never really cared.

But KH3 is something I actually care to go in blind, so I know I gotta be careful.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I'm surprised i never got spoiled of Persona 5... Maybe becuase i didn't entered in Danbooru or Tumblr to search fanarts...
i got some spoilers on the Undertale and Deltarune when i didn't wanted them, but is something i assume when i enter in some dedicated boards

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
some times its impossible to avoid spoilers, for example before god of war 2018 released someone already uploaded around a week before launch all the big moments of the game and titled the videos in caps with a spoiling thumbnail and youtube algorithm just decided to send that to everyone who shown interest in God of War 2018 through their viewed videos and spoiled a ton of people.

now the old uncharteds are older games and less people have "interest" in watching them, it will happen a lot more frequently with modern games because of how youtube algorithm works and becuase that people have learned to have a more attractive thumbnails lately that require you to read their title.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is when you're on YouTube and spoilers pop up in your recommended videos with titles that spoil you before you even see the video.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I hate spoilers.

Twitch chat is hell for spoilers if you are in the wrong place and the wrong time.
YouTube videos' thumbnails and titles are terrible as well.
I have to keep "not interest-ing" videos on YouTube and hiding Twitch chat when the release date for a game I care about is looming close.
Thankfully I don't use Facebook that much, otherwise that would be a minefield as well.
Even Resetera has spoiled some small stuff for me before, nothing major though.

It's really a pain because a lot of people don't care if they spoil something for others, and that's a shame.
They are either oblivious or just want clicks and 5 minutes of fame.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I just have to avoid YouTube really, it's the only place that shows me massive spoilers for literally no reason (usually for games I've never watched a single thing for). It's gotten better, now it's mostly just new releases that are spoiled by recommended videos.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
Something is out your control, like youtube thumbnail recommendations, that's how I got RDR1 spoiled while I was watching cooking channel lol and I think I only watched it's trailer once or twice before that.

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't difficult for me either. YT thumbnails are the biggest challenge and you can just block them with certain extensions.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I think the last time I had a game spoiled was Halo 4 and that was because some dickhead on the other forum put in the thread title.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even care about 99 percent of video game stories so spoilers don't matter.

Also spoilers in general don't bother me because if something is good then it's good, doesn't matter if I know it beforehand or not.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Because they are everywhere. Like my girlfriend read to me a random tweet on her timeline last month about the fate of a certain character in RDR2, and some of the replies to that tweet. She thought I had finished the game.
Or those stupid Youtube boss fight thumbnails.

Oct 25, 2017
I played the Last of Us this year and despite never avoiding spoilers I didn't know exactly what the ending was. I had my suspicions from the way people talked about it but never quite knew what was about to happen.
So I think I'm pretty good at avoiding spoilers, even if I'm not actually trying to

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes I little by little spoiled RDR2. I havent really felt like playing through it but yea....Youtube and the wiki page for a character casually spoiled another ones death(no spoiler or warning).

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
JFYI there is a video blocker extension for chrome. Add things like ''God of War'', ''Kratos'' or ''Atreus'' to that list and you will never see some of those spoilery videos again.

Deleted member 43872

Banned
May 24, 2018
Here:

Code:
www.youtube.com###related
www.youtube.com##.videowall-endscreen

Plug those filters into your ad blocker to banish suggested videos.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I was spoilered about the ending of RDR 1 when I was looking for a specific song. Top comment, only a couple of weeks after game's release, spoilered the ending. Thank you, motherfucker. I mean, years after the game was released and the discourse about that game has basically concluded, I wouldn't be mad. Shortly afterwards, however, is pretty shit.

But I'm more careful now. I don't stroll around so many internet sites anymore (often a waste of time anyways) and facebook (with it's dangerous comment sections) is also nearly dead. Haven't got spoilered for years.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
You've gotten lucky. I actively avoid discussions centred around something I want to eventually experience myself and have still had numerous games/movies spoiled in threads not even specifically about them, just tangential offhanded comments. Though I have managed to passively avoid spoilers for many of the big releases this year, which I couldn't care less about (RDR2, GoW). Wish it didn't work out that way :\

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Another case I can think of. A media person in my country who finished a game one week prior to its release made a post to explain a plot twist. Even though I didn't read what he wrote, his post confirmed some flying rumors around the time and people started talking about it everywhere. I hate that person.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The only issue I had with spoilers was on the old site, trying to avoid any and all information about a sequel, only for like 3 people to set a returning character as seen in a trailer as their avatar. That was before launch though, and it's not exactly spoilers to anyone following the pre-release material.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Same. Unless someone posts spoilers in a thread title or blatant spoilers in the regular OT I'm safe. And I mostly stay out of threads for story-driven games until I'm done anyway. I don't read many reviews or previews, never watch video reviews, rarely use YouTube so no spoilers in recommends videos issue etc. Benefit of being old and not into YouTube, twitch, online video in general, social media etc I suppose

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
The only spoiler I used to encounter are youtube thumbnails but that rarely happens to me.
The last spoiler I encountered was when people posted a picture that they platinumed God of War and showed Kratos with his Blades of Chaos

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Spoilers aren't a huge problem for me - I'm likely to forget them by the time I'm playing the game or watching the movie etc. The only time I can think of was Heavy Rain back in the day. Some arse made a thread in Gamefaqs?? I forget, that just had the Spoiler right in it the thread title. That being the main crux of the narrative of that game it annoyed me.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Hate that Profisa w/e gaming channel that always pops up from time to time to spoil things on YouTube. Hate how they don't allow blocks.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
The ending of rdr 2 was spoiled for me by a coworker. I was talking to a different coworker and this second coworker enters the conversations and says that her husband is playing it and asks me what I thought about the ending, spoiling the ending in the process... who does that?