• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I always had a weird fondness for The Revelation #45

Mostly it's because the first half of that book is so stupidly fun. Marco, Tobias, and Ax get into a fight with like 10 Yeerks who had birds of prey morphs on a train. This eventually ends up with the three of them driving down a freeway in a god damn tank.

Marco, Tobias, and Ax were the best pairing.

Just because no ones brought it up yet, everything surrounding the Auxiliary Animorphs was just super fucked

Oct 25, 2017
I borrowed these from the library all the time and really liked them, though I read them out of order, lol. One book that really stuck out to me that blew my mind was when they went to an alien planet and were chased by these bloodthirsty monsters. Then they are able to transform into them and learn they are childlike and think they're just playing.

I just sort of fell off at some point. Because I was reading out of order and jumping around, I didn't get a real sense of the overarching story.

That book is #26. It's a lot of people's favorite

Oct 27, 2017
Nov 16, 2017
I borrowed these from the library all the time and really liked them, though I read them out of order, lol. One book that really stuck out to me that blew my mind was when they went to an alien planet and were chased by these bloodthirsty monsters. Then they are able to transform into them and learn they are childlike and think they're just playing.

I just sort of fell off at some point. Because I was reading out of order and jumping around, I didn't get a real sense of the overarching story.
That book is #26 - The Attack. Everyone has that book on their list so far, and for good reason.

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
For the longest time I've said The Andalite Chronicles is my favorite book of all time. I can at least still say it's in my Top 3 but man I was obsessed with Animorphs back in the day. I remember reading the Megamorph books at school and admittedly being confused about the ending of the series (especially seeing that I hadn't read them all before that). This series really needs to get another adaptation.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
The show just didn't do the books justice from what I remember. Way too low of a budget to pull off what the stories demanded.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I loved this series as a kid. I had just really started venturing from your really easy to read children's stuff into to some more mature territory but then I discovered Animorphs. I didn't realize when I started that this scifi adventure about kids using alien tech to transform into animals to fight mind controlling slugs would turn into a massive galaxy spanning saga that would deal with everything from war crimes to parental abuse and neglect and giving one of the bravest endings a series for children could muster. I actually reread the series a couple years ago, the main books and not the other ones, and it was still really fucking strong stuff. There were very few punches pulled especially near the end and like others have said it would make for an incredible show these days.

I'm also convinced no one at Scholastic ever read the books or looked past the covers, because these were literally in my elementary school book sales and they were dark as fuck

Hey if Devilman could be a series for Japanese kids in the 70's then Animorphs is fair game for kids in the 90's!

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty into it, but stopped reading the later books as I got older. Think I read the summaries, but made sure I read the last two.

Kroze

Oct 28, 2017
This series changed me so very much with how much it pulled me into it and showed me that you could write amazing thought provoking stories for even grade school kids. Tobias is one of my favorite tragic characters ever... especially when he learns of his true parentage.

Ax and his freakin love of sticky buns will never not make me laugh and his encounter in the mall with them during his first POV book.

I thankfully still have my copies of the entire series (yes unfortunately including the Altermorphs Choose Your Own Adventure sub series) but my hardcover copy of Visser is the pride and joy of my collection.

i've always wanted to see the series get a well done adaptation that truly went into all the pain and horrors our little pack of "andalite bandits" had to fight through.

Also the fucked up fact they straight up told you that one of our main characters was gonna die many books before its revealed who it is (The Ellimist Chronicles does a particularly excellent job with this mystery since the Ellimist wouldn't care who exactly which child it was... well unless it was Jake or Tobias... fucker is biased as fuck)

Someone asked top three books minus the Chronicles...
#48 The Return is such a perfect merging of several ongoing storylines with reoccuring characters... and it was already previously stated in the thread how much of a rat bastard David ends up becoming.

#41 The Familiar is amazingly fucked up as it happens right after Jake just gets done with a whole reality altering thing in Megamorphs #4 Back to Before, when he is thrown into yet another fucked up reality scenario and being forced to choose between someone he loves and the mission... which then comes into play in the whole finale of the series big time:

#53 The Answer.... Jake is now a full on war criminal at this point but he is trying to do whatever he can to survive... but damn those poor Auxiliary Animorphs and sending Rachel off like that since he already knows she is too far gone... I love the whole war loss of innocence that transpires here and how far Jake has come... the path to hell is paved with the best intentions after all and this book really drove that home for me.

Damn Animorphs is such a great series and deserves to be remembered more. The fact that it actually respected its readership base and wasn't afraid to tell it like it is instead of sugar coating any of it is the one lesson that stuck with me the most out of everything it did.

Last edited:

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I loved this series as a kid. I had just really started venturing from your really easy to read children's stuff into to some more mature territory but then I discovered Animorphs. I didn't realize when I started that this scifi adventure about kids using alien tech to transform into animals to fight mind controlling slugs would turn into a massive galaxy spanning saga that would deal with everything from war crimes to parental abuse and neglect and giving one of the bravest endings a series for children could muster. I actually reread the series a couple years ago, the main books and not the other ones, and it was still really fucking strong stuff. There were very few punches pulled especially near the end and like others have said it would make for an incredible show these days.

Hey if Devilman could be a series for Japanese kids in the 70's then Animorphs is fair game for kids in the 90's!
True but Devilman also has a chapter where the main character breaks the fourth wall and talks directly to the reader in order to tell us that shit is gonna get real dark soon so be ready lmao.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I loved the books but outgrew them around the lull from ghostwriters. About two years ago I reread the entire series. I wish I stuck with them as a kid because w o w. It's one of my all time favorite book series now. The Animorphs Reddit is surprisingly active and has a lot of resources for the ones who can't get ahold of the print books easily.

This thread is making me want to do another series reread lol

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually reading them for the first time right now. I actually took some time over the last few years to slowly collect all of the books through several different thrift stores. As cheesy as they are, I adore those odd morphing covers LOL. It helps that they are dirt cheap, minus a few of the later books that are apparently kinda rare. I was able to get most for a dollar or less, but for one of the last books in the series I ended up having to pay around 15 dollars for a copy off Ebay. Tracking down the entire series was really fun though.

They are available as ebooks with the authors blessing.

I wouldn't say obsessed. But it does, in my opinion, turn out to be the best depiction of the horrors of war in young adult literature. Hell, better than a lot of adult lit. It doesn't let its heroes walk away without making hard choices and it doesn't portray those choices as unquestionably good. Hell, he never faces consequences for it, but Jake is unequivocally a war criminal by the end and the book points this out.

Nor does it forget that its protagonists are children fighting a real ass guerilla war and they all come out deeply scarred.

I think my favorite thing about the ending was how messy it was for everyone involved. I never thought Jake was fully in the wrong, had they lost that pool ship would have enslaved the entire race. Him preemptively killing them was a cold but tactfully right move, and did demoralize the enemy to the point they had to surrender.
Animorphs is still my go-to example of a series that ended well. The last ten pages or so are kind of out of left field, but the half-dozen books leading up to the end were amazing. I'm talking about how

the aliens find out that they're just kids and blow up the whole city, they barely escape with their family to the woods and the colony of freed alien slaves, and the whole dynamic shifts.

That shit hits the fan arc is one of my favorites. Everything gets ramped up to 11 once the status quo is broken
Man, haven't thought about that series in years. Reading up on what happened at the end, I really regret falling off before it finished. I'm mildly tempted to read them all now, but I'm a bit worried that I'll find them silly at my age.

It's even better as an adult than as a kid, the silly bits are fun and the dates references make it a fun 90s piece
Loved this series to death as a kid but was really pissed off at the cliffhanger ending after the
timeskip.
I remember seeing an article about the author defending it saying something along the lines of them ending the series with them fighting as it started but I just wanted Ax, Jake, Cassie, Marco & co to finally be at peace.

I would be so down for a netflix revival at some point.
I always liked the ending, even as a kid. It's a cliffhanger for sure, but it's nice knowing they all end up on a new grand adventure together and end in a somewhat happy place together again by the end.
Favorite 3 books

3. Book 29 - The Sickness

Introduces the Yeerk peace movement, finishes the Aftran plotline, and has Cassie perform brain surgery on an alien.

2. Book 26 - The Attack

Easily the most imaginative worldbuilding in the series with the Iskoort world, and the Howlers are a great antagonist.

1. Book 8 - The Alien

Ax is just a wonderful character and this is the first book through his eyes.

Ax books are the best and to this day I love Cinnabon due to him. My book 8 I read so much as a kid the binding fell apart and had to buy a second copy.
I always wondered why the Andalites didn't just let the Yeerks morph into better forms than slugs as a compromise end to the war. I always appreciated that the series ended with something obvious like that instead of trying to "subvert expectations" and coming up with some contrived nonsense.
I always thought it was genius that they did do that in the end, but it couldn't be an idea that came from the andalites themselves. Only Cassie and her compassion could connect the dots and destroy the enemy from within.

I always had a weird fondness for The Revelation #45

Mostly it's because the first half of that book is so stupidly fun. Marco, Tobias, and Ax get into a fight with like 10 Yeerks who had birds of prey morphs on a train. This eventually ends up with the three of them driving down a freeway in a god damn tank.

Marco, Tobias, and Ax were the best pairing.

Just because no ones brought it up yet, everything surrounding the Auxiliary Animorphs was just super fucked
I love that book too, and the governor in it as well.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I think my favorite thing about the ending was how messy it was for everyone involved. I never thought Jake was fully in the wrong, had they lost that pool ship would have enslaved the entire race. Him preemptively killing them was a cold but tactfully right move, and did demoralize the enemy to the point they had to surrender.
It's also, without question, a war crime. Mass execution of captured soldiers and non-combatants.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
loved the books back in the day, though sadly I wasnt able to get the entire series so eventually i just caved and looked up the the plot of wikipedia or something... was not expecting that ending, but i certainly wasn't disappointed in it or anything(though sad as hell, especially for Rachael...)

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Thankfully it's all available online for free, with the blessing of KA Applegate of course. :)
That's how I filled in my gaps anyways lol
This thread made me start looking up prices and I was like man I'm never gonna bother buying all these individually. I may actually put in the effort to relive and complete my journey through the series now lol.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was more of a Goosebumps kid, but I read tons of the Animorphs and spinoff books (Megamorphs and Chronicles). I think I stopped at book 45, which concludes the arc of Marco's mom/Vissor One. Honestly, it ended the series for me and I didn't want to read anymore because it was somewhat of a perfect payoff for longtime readers that invested so much time in the series. Based on the stuff I heard that happens towards the end, it always sounded super depressing and I'm glad I stopped. Tobias will forever be one of my favorite literary characters though. Everything about him is sad and tragic, but you want things to work out for the guy in the end. And because of that, it brings some level of hope to the series.

Oct 25, 2017
I was more of a Goosebumps kid, but I read tons of the Animorphs and spinoff books (Megamorphs and Chronicles). I think I stopped at book 45, which concludes the arc of Marco's mom/Vissor One. Honestly, it ended the series for me and I didn't want to read anymore because it was somewhat of a perfect payoff for longtime readers that invested so much time in the series. Based on the stuff I heard that happens towards the end, it always sounded super depressing and I'm glad I stopped. Tobias will forever be one of my favorite literary characters though. Everything about him is sad and tragic, but you want things to work out for the guy in the end. And because of that, it brings some level of hope to the series.

Honestly I would recommend finishing it. It works on a level that has only grown on me more over time.

Oct 27, 2017
Really? The perfect payoff for me was seeing how the war "ended". Stopping partway didn't do anything.

Also, let's not forget the incredibly powerful pacifist android Erek King (when I found out it was named after a kid who won a contest, I was so jealous), which the Animorphs forced to disable his programming and turn into a killing monster

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
The series was super dark. From the second David is forced to be a mouse by being forced to stay in a small cement drain, Tobias suffering ptsd from being trapped as a hawk.

Also during the 'war' they basically gathered a bunch of handicapped orphans and told them 'Uhhh, fight for us, you'll get to experience what it is to have complete limbs!'.

Down to the finale, where 'The One' takes over Ax, and Jake launches what I take as being a suicide attack on it.

Maaan. I haven't read it in a decade and a half but I still remember so much about it.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
These books were my life as a kid. I still remember when it first came out when I was in the 6th grade. The fact that it got as dark as it did was great. It sorely needs an updated adaptation that gets to all the greatness of the later books.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
It's also, without question, a war crime. Mass execution of captured soldiers and non-combatants.

If I recall, they hadn't captured the ship yet and were still in combat. The pool ship also differs as the soldiers never surrendered and would be forced to be combatants were they ever to given hosts. I don't think it is quite the same as a human situation, they basically bombed the barracks or staging camp. Had they not flushed it they may not have won, and had they not won it would have given the enemy total domination. But how messy and conflicted you can be over the characters in this, especially the final days of the war is what makes it so damn good. I just could never be angry with Jake about his decision.

The series was super dark. From the second David is forced to be a mouse by being forced to stay in a small cement drain, Tobias suffering ptsd from being trapped as a hawk.

Also during the 'war' they basically gathered a bunch of handicapped orphans and told them 'Uhhh, fight for us, you'll get to experience what it is to have complete limbs!'.

Down to the finale, where 'The One' takes over Ax, and Jake launches what I take as being a suicide attack on it.

Maaan. I haven't read it in a decade and a half but I still remember so much about it.

The disabled children was certainly a troubling aspect. If I have one problem with the final book, it was that it never touched on them at all. Their logic was that these kids would be dead if the planet was taken, and that giving them a chance to fight was the safest thing for them. It was also the only type of people they could trust, as the Yeerks thought them as useless. The books do gloss over it more so than other things, which is too bad.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I unfortunately read the books excessively out of order because my exposure to them was through my elementary school's book fair, and the large number of books made it difficult to try to read in any specific order. But I still remember enjoying what I read quite a lot.

But none of them stuck with me as much as The Prophecy did for some reason. Just really enjoyed the way one of the crew (Cassie?) had to deal with the Hork Bajir culture. It's the one I remember the most vividly from a series that remains otherwise cloudy in my memory.

OP
OP
bixente

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
The first book I ever read was #10 The Android, when Erek was introduced. So that book is one of my personal favourites and is quite close to my heart. It would've been cool if the Pemalites got a closer examination with a Chronicles book of their own but no big deal.

The Prophecy is indeed a very cool book. IIRC It's ghost written but It's one of the better ones at that... while the ghost written books are really patchy (some are horrible, remember Cassie in Australia?) The Prophecy is excellent.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If I recall, they hadn't captured the ship yet and were still in combat. The pool ship also differs as the soldiers never surrendered and would be forced to be combatants were they ever to given hosts. I don't think it is quite the same as a human situation, they basically bombed the barracks or staging camp. Had they not flushed it they may not have won, and had they not won it would have given the enemy total domination. But how messy and conflicted you can be over the characters in this, especially the final days of the war is what makes it so damn good. I just could never be angry with Jake about his decision.
They hadn't taken the bridge yet, but that was not his motivation. Jake did not have good intentions flushing the Yeerk pool.

They could have stayed home, I thought. No one had asked them to come to Earth. Not my fault. Not my fault, theirs.

No more than they deserved.

Aliens. Parasites. Subhuman.

<Flush them,> I said.

We ran from that place, ran from thoughts of what we'd done. Ran for the bridge. His fault, it was Visser One's fault, all of it. Who had started this war? Not us. We hadn't asked for it.

It was him. Him and his filthy, subhuman, parasitic race.

His fault. Not mine. Not mine.

Of course, Jace is also a kid who should never have been forced into commanding a war. It's a wonder he didn't completely snap until the last few books. But flushing the Pool Ship is not a "necessary evil" and this is acknowledged in the next book. Jake in the last few books is explicitly a monster.

"Jake did what he had to do."

"Did he? Someone flushed the Yeerk pool into space. Did he have to do that, too? They were unhosted Yeerks. They were harmless."

"We needed a div —" I stopped myself.

"A what? A what did you need? A diversion? You're going to tell me you needed a diversion so Jake massacred seventeen thousand sentient creatures? A diversion?"

Last edited:

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Animorphs was my favorite series and I always was an evangelist, even when Harry Potter was popular. I watched the Nick show, was a member of the fan club, and played some of the games

I've been saying for a while it needs a Netflix/HBO series, age the characters from middle school to high schoolers, and finally give it the SFX budget it needs. It would be soo damn good

I'm also convinced no one at Scholastic ever read the books or looked past the covers, because these were literally in my elementary school book sales and they were dark as fuck
There is literally a time travel book where the debate the ethics of killing hitler.Animorphs was essentially sold as power rangers in book form. When it was more like BSG.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
The first book I ever read was #10 The Android, when Erek was introduced. So that book is one of my personal favourites and is quite close to my heart. It would've been cool if the Pemalites got a closer examination with a Chronicles book of their own but no big deal.

The Prophecy is indeed a very cool book. IIRC It's ghost written but It's one of the better ones at that... while the ghost written books are really patchy (some are horrible, remember Cassie in Australia?) The Prophecy is excellent.

Cassie in australia wasn't that bad. At least it wasn't trying to turn you vegan. Remember that one book which is essentially 144 pages of the ghostwriter saying "eating meat is bad and you are bad for liking it. Repent sinner! Also something something aliens."

And let us not forget the TWO episodes spent fighting the helmacrons. God those guys felt like refugees from bump in the night or eek the cat or some other kids show. Oh and that stretch of books between the end of the david trilogy and the beginning of the endgame where it was just some monster of the week shit.

Oh, visser three has a submarine and also atlantis is real.
Oh, this week visser three has ski aliens.
Oh this week jake learns that it is a wonderful life
Oh, this week they fight the flash.

Oct 27, 2017
I was a huge fan of Goosebumps, American Chillers / Michigan Chillers, etc. back in the day. But I never read Animorphs. My older sister used to read Animorphs, though, and she was really into it. I just "judged the book by it's cover"and I thought the whole thing was absolutely ridiculous. I remember seeing a few episodes of the show on VHS. We'd rent all kinds of stuff on VHS from the local library, like Are You Afraid of the Dark. Good times.

OP
OP
bixente

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I was a huge fan of Goosebumps, American Chillers / Michigan Chillers, etc. back in the day. But I never read Animorphs. My older sister used to read Animorphs, though, and she was really into it. I just "judged the book by it's cover"and I thought the whole thing was absolutely ridiculous. I remember seeing a few episodes of the show on VHS. We'd rent all kinds of stuff on VHS from the local library, like Are You Afraid of the Dark. Good times.

Did you know Fear Street? That's a series R.L. Stine was putting out around the same time as Goosebumps. My brother was a huge fan of that. I think it was targeting a slightly older audience to Goosebumps. The characters in that were typically in high school for example.

Oct 27, 2017
Did you know Fear Street? That's a series R.L. Stine was putting out around the same time as Goosebumps. My brother was a huge fan of that. I think it was targeting a slightly older audience to Goosebumps. The characters in that were typically in high school for example.

Heck yeah. I didn't start reading the mysterious Fear Street until I was in like 5th or 6th grade, though. I didn't know they existed until I went searching for Stine in my school library and stumbled upon a few books. They're proof that Stine could have easily written much more dark and bloody adult-oriented fiction if he wanted to.

OP
OP
bixente

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Never read Everworld but heard great things about it.

I do highly recommend Gone by Applegate's husband, Michael Grant. Super addictive series. Not super long like Animorphs either.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
They hadn't taken the bridge yet, but that was not his motivation. Jake did not have good intentions flushing the Yeerk pool.

Of course, Jace is also a kid who should never have been forced into commanding a war. It's a wonder he didn't completely snap until the last few books. But flushing the Pool Ship is not a "necessary evil" and this is acknowledged in the next book. Jake in the last few books is explicitly a monster.
His doubts about his decision though come later, along with everything else he did in the war. No intentions in a situation like that are good, they kill innocent hosts all the time in their battles. I don't think it was a necessary evil, but it did serve a purpose in that final battle and tactically was the best thing for them to do, even if avoiding it could have still resulted in victory. I don't think the books call him a monster for it, or what he did in the last few books. He certainly regrets that decision to flush it and kill everyone in it, but I don't hold it against him in the heat of the battle.

I just don't view them as innocent or captured enemies, nor should have he in that moment when victory was uncertain and it was the enemies greatest potential weapon. Plus, the flushing of it is what led to the surrender of Visser One/Three, rather than a knockdown drag out fight (which they would have lost).

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
got into the series when i was 10. it was a little excerpt in a freebie thing from scholastic that did it. had my parents buy the first couple books through scholastic... then read the third at my grandma's. she got me that copy.

people gravitate towards tobias for the same reason they gravitate towards peter parker. he's not a crazy scientist dude - he's somewhat of an outcast even among his friend group, who suddenly had some level of power. but tobias's is cut short and he's a constant reminder of what can go wrong. as a kid i would have dreams about being part of the power rangers, but i was always the helper - never one of the rangers themselves. tobias and his fate was something i identified with. #3 the encounter was an early favorite for that. the part where he has to race back to warn them about the time limit, or it they would be stuck, like him, and that it would be his fault is anxiety and depression manifested as body horror.

the rest of the run, i would look forward to the tobias books. for the most part, my brain treated the series like it was power rangers or ninja turtles - that these were more or less superheroes and even early in high school as the series was wrapping, i was more upset about the bleakness and ambiguity of the ending. looking back on it, there isn't any ambiguity. those kids all died moments later. and there isn't bleakness - just honesty about how absolutely fucked up war is and how it fucks everyone up. it's something i can really appreciate all these years later.

i have no intention of reading them again, but it's pretty clear in this thread that i missed a lot of the subtext, forgot most of the plots, and misread the context for the actions of several of the characters when i first read them.

it's a shame about the tv show, and that there isn't a bigger interest in the series in terms of a more serious revival or adaptation, but it's one of those stories probably best left for the 90s/early 00s.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Lots of nonsensical things in there with a lot of fucked up shit.

Fun.

Why isn't this a manga?

it would make a fucked up manga!

In the same book, there's also the sheer claustrophobia and single-mindedness. It's like you can never get out. Way to drive home the hopelessness of the Taxxons' situation.

day to day mood right there

Man this book probably fucked me up subconsciously.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of nonsensical things in there with a lot of fucked up shit.

Fun.

Why isn't this a manga?

well the japanese release did get the light novel treatment

latest

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
These were my jam as a kid. I ate up the dark war story completely.

I think I missed some books near the end, because I remember the David story and the final war battle where Rachel does the thing, but the details get really messy for me in between. Now that I think about it, most of the details elude me. I guess that's what happens with media you consumed about two decades ago.

Tobias was my favorite character.

What happened to Jake's brother Tom? Did he ever get freed?

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019

I think I missed some books near the end, because I remember the David story and the final war battle where Rachel does the thing, but the details get really messy for me in between. Now that I think about it, most of the details elude me. I guess that's what happens with media you consumed about two decades ago.

Tom...I actually don't think he made it? IIRC he defected from the Yeerks but was found out?

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

jake sent rachel on a mission to kill tom, which she does, resulting in her own death (i believe she's decapitated by a controller).

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Didn't read not a one. But, always loved the covers and the specialized software used to create the covers.