• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I need to reread the stories

I was Rachel again, the human Rachel, alive, unhurt. I could have bounded up and gone off to the mall to shop. But I didn't kid myself. I didn't hope.
I spit the snake out.

I was surrounded on all sides. I was only a weak human girl now. The polar bear loomed over me, his strength the equal of my own grizzly, but now I was just me, just Rachel.

I could see the viewscreen. I could see my best friend Cassie. Jake. Marco, funny Marco. Ax.

Tobias.

He had morphed. He was his human self once more. He'd done that for me. And because he was crying. I understood. Humans cry, hawks don't.

"I love you," I said to the screen.

And oh, god, how could so much regret and so much sweetness and so much sadness all be present in that single moment. I was already dead and missing my unlived life. I was already dead and Tobias was mourning.

I tried to smile. For him.

The polar bear said, < You fight well,human.>

Then he killed me with a single blow.

Time stopped.

He came to me. The Ellmist.

The puppet master came to watch my final act. It figured. He was in his saintly old man guise. As fake as everything else about him. The all-powerful weakling. The mighty manipulator.

"You," I said accusingly.

"Yes."

"Who are you?" I demanded. "Who are you to play games with us? You appear, you disappear, you use us, who are you, what are you?"

And then,for what seemed like a very long time, the Ellimist told me. I saw. I understood.

But I also knew he would not save me. That he couldn't under the arcane rules of his millenia-long war with Crayak.

The Ellimist was there to honor me, and I guess that was nice of him. Wasn't going to help me much.

I wanted so much to live. I wanted so much to stay and not leave. In a moment, no answer would matter to me, but just the same, I wanted to know what I guess any dying person wants to know.

"Answer this, Ellimist: Did I ... did I make a difference? My life, and my...my death...was I worth it? Did my life really matter?"

"Yes," he said. "You were brave. You were strong. You were good. You mattered."

"Yeah. Okay, then. Okay, then."

I wondered if -

i guess i figured it was decapitation, but it could have been plain-ol' blunt force trauma.

and, from the end of the ellimist chronicles:

The human was silent. No begging, no pleading for life. At the end, acceptance came even to this strong, turbulent spirit.

"You said I could ask one more question."​

"Yes."​

"I can't ask if we win, I can't ask if it will all turn out okay."​

"I don't know those answers."​

"Okay, then answer this, Ellimist: Did I…did I make a difference? My life, and my…my death…was I worth it? Did my life really matter?"​

"Yes. You were brave. You were strong. You were good. You mattered."​

"Yeah. Okay, then. Okay, then."​

A small strand of space-time went dark and coiled into nothingness.​

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the perfect property to get the Boom! Comics Mighty Morphin Power Rangers treatment

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I've read all the spin off books but not the main series. So Visser, Hork, and Andailte. Probs because in school it was hard to find the main series in order.

OP
OP
bixente

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
My favourite characters were Marco and Ax I'd have to say. Ax is one of the funniest characters I've ever come across in a book. Rachel's bloodthirstyness bothered me a lot especially as the series progressed. By the end she got very irritating for me.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
I was really into it but I fell out of following due to the inconsistent release schedule where I live. Read all the spin offs and the choose your own adventures that were released up to maybe the late 20s of the main series.

Have read what ended up happening on a wiki a while back.

daboynem

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I was just a coward but the moment I read about Tom's infestation I quit the series immediately. Him getting dragged out and then forcing his head in the pool was too much for child me

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I remember there being a tv show where an Andalite or something got eaten by another alien and we could only see the shadow of what was going on. I have that burned into my memory and for the life of me I can't remember what episode it was from.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I always related to Marco the most. My childhood wasn't especially pleasant, and his motto of "you can look at something tragic and either cry at the awfulness of it, or laugh at the absurdity to get through it" was one of the only things that got me through. It's been basically my mantra for decades.

eternalblue

Oct 27, 2017
If I'd been a little younger when these books came out it sounds like they would have been right up my alley. Around the time Animorphs came out I was reading books by Christopher Pike or R.L. Stine's Fear Street series. I admittedly judged the Animorphs books by their covers and thought they looked rather silly, so I'm surprised to see how dark this series was. I might just check out the free ebook versions.

It looks like there's going to be Animorphs graphic novels starting in October.

Nov 16, 2017
I remember there being a tv show where an Andalite or something got eaten by another alien and we could only see the shadow of what was going on. I have that burned into my memory and for the life of me I can't remember what episode it was from.
That has to be the first episode (unless it was a two parter). That is Visser Three morphing into a creature and devouring Elfangor in the first book.

On an unrelated note, I picked up the first book on Audible yesterday and started it. The narrator is decent and I think I will continue. The first two books are out, with two books scheduled each month until April. Each character has their own narrator.

Maybe a trial run to see how popular the IP is.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I loved them as a kid but no longer have them. Haven't reread them since, either. I remember some pretty striking things from the books even twenty or so years later though, like the ending or Tobias making some real hard decisions.

Loved the alien designs.

I remember there being like two aliens with basically magic powers that would show up and fuck things up for funsies. One was evil and one was good, but I think you soon realize that that's not entirely true. Bit of grey everywhere in that series. Was fucking cool.

Ended up moving onto Redwall and I guess enjoying those enough to keep them.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite Marco moments from book 30 - The Reunion.

People don't understand the word ruthless. They think it means "mean."

It's not about being mean. It's about seeing the bright, clear line that leads from A to B. The line that goes from motive to means. Beginning to end.

It's about seeing that bright, clear line and not caring about anything but the beautiful fact that you can see the solution. Not caring about anything else but the perfection of it.

That's what had happened. I saw the way to take both Vissers down. And that's all that mattered.

But I wasn't going to explain all that. Other people's pity just messes with the straight line. Other people's pity makes you think things you can't think about when you are seeing the line.

This is the same book where Marco makes a plan to toss his mother off a cliff.

Nov 16, 2017
Just watched the clip on Youtube thanks, god damn that was kinda unsettling. It's no wonder my mom didn't want me watching it lol. Still did though.
The book was worse. In that passage, a piece of Elfangor falls out of Visser Three's mouth and some taxxons swarm over it. When Visser Three de-morphs he says something to the effect of "nothing like a good meal" and his controllers laugh.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
my 90s book obsession

IMG_E0500_370x.JPG

REAL ONES KNOW

Oct 25, 2017
my 90s book obsession

IMG_E0500_370x.JPG

REAL ONES KNOW

Aw shit. I forgot about these. There were a ton of different ones that I used to read all the time, and then Harry Potter came out and that was all I read anymore.

There was also a book, that I can almost remember, where a kid got sucked into a video game, and there were big bees? Or something like a bee? If that rings a bell to anyone, please let me know. I've been trying to remember for years.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know what was a cool YA? The Seventh Tower.

Especially because it was like Yu-Gi-Oh with a card game and shit.

Shadow Walker

Oct 27, 2017
This part in the show always stuck out to me. Big fan of the books too as I mentioned in the other thread loved Rachel's character.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Would feeding the Yeerks the instant oatmeal that causes neurological deterioration and death be a war crime?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Ellimist Chronicles and Andalite Chronicles are some of my favourite books.
The thing I tell people about Animorphs is that they're really well written kids books that delve into subject matter that kids books don't usually touch and handles them with aplomb.

Except for Ellimist Chronicles.

Ellimist Chronicles is flat out good sci-fi period.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
You know what was a cool YA? The Seventh Tower.

Especially because it was like Yu-Gi-Oh with a card game and shit.

I remember that. They had a preview in the back of one of the animorphs books. I bought the book on the basis of the card game elemnt only to find out it was a one time thing.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Looked past them every single time I went to pick up a new Goosebumps book as a kid and yet never once asked to get one of them. Based on some of the things I've seen in recent years I'm kind of bummed that I didn't.

Nov 16, 2017
Looked past them every single time I went to pick up a new Goosebumps book as a kid and yet never once asked to get one of them. Based on some of the things I've seen in recent years I'm kind of bummed that I didn't.
It has been mentioned here that you can get books cheap on Kindle. If you prefer audiobooks, they just started coming out this year. I started listening to the first book this week and other than a couple sections that feel written for kids, they are really good.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the series will work pretty well as a CW show.
And I'm not even a fan of watching CW shows anymore.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Best YA novels of the 90s.

If I ever make any fiction someday, it will have some influence from these books.

ieo

Aug 7, 2019
Yesssss those books were my life in elementary school. There are so many crazy things in those books I often wonder if my brain made up some of my memories of them.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I will say though I liked the somber and depressing tone of the ending, the last like 10 pages are so were kinda mehh... never really jived with the idea of Jake and co. conducting a suicide attack on a never-before heard of (or perhaps briefly mentioned? I can't recall) enemy.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I will say though I liked the somber and depressing tone of the ending, the last like 10 pages are so were kinda mehh... never really jived with the idea of Jake and co. conducting a suicide attack on a never-before heard of (or perhaps briefly mentioned? I can't recall) enemy.
Keep in mind that the last time someone gave the order to ram the Blade Ship, it wasn't a suicide attack.

But yeah it honestly could have been done better.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I loved these books as a kid. I devoured them for years.

my 90s book obsession

IMG_E0500_370x.JPG

REAL ONES KNOW

omg

I think this author is the source of one of my most vivid childhood memories. I remember one of these about baseball that had a joke that absolutely slew young me. The main character has a dream about trying to throw the ball only his arm falls off during the throw. All he's left with is a "bloody stump." For whatever reason, I thought it was the funniest thing ever. I was reading it in bed after bedtime and crying I was laughing so hard.

Nov 16, 2017
Audible now has listings for the first 20 books. They are staying consistent on the voice actor for each character too.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
We had this silly thing in school where we had to read books and take a test to earn points, different books worth different points, and meet a quota at the end of the semester. That consumed all my reading time pretty much so if it wasn't in our library/worth a decent amount of points per page then I wasn't reading it. The toys did get my attention though, being a transformers fan, but compared to beast wars they were a bit silly looking.

God damn Accelerated Reader.