• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So like quite a few people I'm actually seriously considering to buy Smash and a Switch when the Persona dlc comes out. But man is it a weird feeling when you don't care about 90% of a fighting game roster. I know who Mario and Zelda and Kirby are, but I've never played a single one of their games and I have no particular feelings towards them.

To me picking a fighting character is 90% feeling and 10% gameplay. I've only ever played one Pokémon game and one fire emblem game lol. So I guess I can start with Pikachu and work my way up to MewTwo while waiting for Joker.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Possibly picking up Smash for the first time despite hardly playing any Nintendo games?

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
play breath of the wild and some other switch game first so you start to get into characters. than go with smash

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I'm skipping the game for that same reason. Although if you are getting it anyway, just choose one from the 3rd party roster like Cloud and Snake, or go with Pikachu like you said.
My friend likes Smash so he will probably ask me to play with him. I have 0 hopes of winning lol, but at least I'll have some fun with Cloud.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
If you play the single Player mode. You can get a Marth from Fire Emblem as a early unlock. Takes about 10 minutes to get him.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
There's something funny about how you've never played a Mario or Zelda game, but you've played Fire Emblem of all things. I've played the original games of nearly everyone on the roster, with Fire Emblem as one of the few exceptions.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
80% of the appeal of Smash is the fanservice. So you're probably not going to get much out of it.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn.

Pick up a wireless SNES controller and start working your way through Nintendo games until you've developed an appreciation?

If you like videogames you owe it to yourself to dive into the myriad of classic, greatest of all time Nintendo titles.

Like, what have you been playing all these years OP?

tokyostomp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did. Got a Switch and Smash just because. I don't care about Smash all that much but I needed a game I couldn't borrow to go with my new system.

OP
OP
Chaos2Frozen

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
There's something funny about how you've never played a Mario or Zelda game, but you've played Fire Emblem of all things. I've played the original games of nearly everyone on the roster, with Fire Emblem as one of the few exceptions.

What can I say? They got me at Anime. Thought even then I only played one fire emblem lol.

Damn.

Pick up a wireless SNES controller and start working your way through Nintendo games until you've developed an appreciation?

If you like videogames you owe it to yourself to dive into the myriad of classic, greatest of all time Nintendo titles.

Like, what have you been playing all these years OP?

Man I could tell you a long story about that shit lol. But the short version is that I only really got into gaming at the 360 era as that's the first console I bought with my own money, so I've only played XBox and PS games and none of the Nintendo main IPs ever interest me.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great way to get into Nintendo. Find characters you like and then investigate their origins. Melee introduced me to Fire Emblem and made me give Metroid another go after skipping it when i was younger (it was too scary).

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
So like quite a few people I'm actually seriously considering to buy Smash and a Switch when the Persona dlc comes out. But man is it a weird feeling when you don't care about 90% of a fighting game roster. I know who Mario and Zelda and Kirby are, but I've never played a single one of their games and I have no particular feelings towards them.

To me picking a fighting character is 90% feeling and 10% gameplay. I've only ever played one Pokémon game and one fire emblem game lol. So I guess I can start with Pikachu and work my way up to MewTwo while waiting for Joker.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Possibly picking up Smash for the first time despite hardly playing any Nintendo games?

Where have you been for 30 years? You play games enough to want Smash but you've never played most Nintendo games? So you're picking it up now because of Persona? Odd lol.

I think in terms of chaotic party feel, the game is easy for newcomers to try. But the deep gameplay is hard to master.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I first started I only knew of Mario. I had tons of fun and it got me into a bunch of other Nintendo franchises. Of course a big part of the appeal was having friends that got me into it, I'm not sure how great it would be playing solo or online.

OP
OP
Chaos2Frozen

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Where have you been for 30 years? You play games enough to want Smash but you've never played most Nintendo games? So you're picking it up now because of Persona? Odd lol.

I think in terms of chaotic party feel, the game is easy for newcomers to try. But the deep gameplay is hard to master.

Man I could tell you a long story about that shit lol. But the short version is that I only really got into gaming at the 360 era as that's the first console I bought with my own money, so I've only played XBox and PS games and none of the Nintendo main IPs ever interest me.

To be exact, they never interested me enough to shell out cash for the Wii U

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
It's blowing my mind that people can reach adulthood and never played a Nintendo game.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
The characters are fun. Doesn't matter if you've played the games or not. How can you not like a piranha plot hopping around in a pot?

Just have fun with it.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I know who Mario and Zelda and Kirby are

Are you sure ? :)

Anyway, I haven't played a lot of the Nintendo franchises present in Smash, but I know enough characters to have fun (I'll mostly play Cloud probably), and the rest will allow more variety for my adversaries. It's true that I have little interest or fun playing characters I don't know or have never played a game of their respective franchise. I always get that weird feeling that I'm not supposed to use them (same happens to me with Super Robot Taisen, or any crossover game really). So long as there are enough characters I know, I'm okay though.

Last edited:

banter

Jan 12, 2018
It's blowing my mind that people can reach adulthood and never played a Nintendo game.
Same here.
80% of the appeal of Smash is the fanservice. So you're probably not going to get much out of it.
No... this is false.
I wouldn't say that at all. When I was young I was introduced to tons of series via Smash, not the other way around.
This is why. We'd have gotten Waluigi in there a long time ago if it were about fan service, but the poor guy doesn't have any games where he actually affects the plot.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
The game itself is super fun and it extremely enjoyable to play.

My first smash was brawl and at the time i had only played the pokemon games so those were the only characters i recognized beyond Mario and Zelda characters which i never had played at the time and had a great time playing and discovering all these new (for me) characters that looked super cool.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Being unfamiliar with the characters of a fighting game when you first jump in normal. A lot of people got their first introduction to characters from Smash.

OP
OP
Chaos2Frozen

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Yeah, that guy on the cover of Breath of the Wild

... =p

Anyway, I haven't played a lot of the Nintendo franchises present in Smash, but I know enough characters to have fun (I'll mostly play Cloud probably), and the rest will allow more variety for my adversaries. It's true that I have little interest or fun playing charavters I don't know or have never played a game of their respective franchise. I always get that weird feeling that I'm not supposed to use them (same happens to me with Super Robot Taisen, or any crossover gale really). So long as there are enough characters I know, I'm okay though.

I know right? It's a weird feeling, it's not like there's a rule against it but you still wanna use a character that you know especially because it's a fanservicey game, same thing with other crossover games

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
One of the review outlets dinged some points from the game for not including much in the way of character background descriptions and.. I kind of agree. It feels petty with 72 fighters and over a 100 stages to complain about something lacking, but if you put this much effort in creating a playable museum of the game industry, you kind of want the information placards next to the fighters you unlock/play with.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
One of the review outlets dinged some points from the game for not including much in the way of character background descriptions and.. I kind of agree. It feels petty with 72 fighters and over a 100 stages to complain about something lacking, but if you put this much effort in creating a playable museum of the game industry, you kind of want the information placards next to the fighters you unlock/play with.

It's assumed that people know most of the characters, which is likely for the intended audience.

Oct 27, 2017

I don't understand this logic. You're acting like the game is solely about fanservice, and is an otherwise underwhelming fighting game. When you play a new fighting game you don't know ANY of the characters, if it isn't from an established series.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

There's some background info about each fighter in the Tips menu.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
There are more Fire Emblem characters than Mario or Zelda characters (maybe not but it feels like it) so you should be good.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Brawl was the first and only time I've played a Nintendo game for more than an hour or two. I hardly knew any of the cast, and still enjoyed the game greatly. You'll still end up messing around with all them and eventually find a couple ones to specialize in.

OP
OP
Chaos2Frozen

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I don't understand this logic. You're acting like the game is solely about fanservice, and is an otherwise underwhelming fighting game. When you play a new fighting game you don't know ANY of the characters, if it isn't from an established series.

Well put it this way- it's because it's a crossover game that's why I'm even considering it. If it was purely just another fighting game I wouldn't have any interest. From that perspective, it's all about how well you like the character roster.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
It's generally ok most people that play Smash are in exactly your position, lol. Casual audiences has no clue what the majority of these characters are but they still have a ton of fun.

I mean Marth's inclusion in Melee was so popular it brought Fire Emblem to the West.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I never played fire emblem when melee came out but Roy was my main. It just controls very well and it's a great way to get acquainted with franchises you don't know about.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I say go for it because Smash is a great game, but also because you should try some Nintendo games like Zelda BoTW, Mario Odyssey, Bayonetta 1/2, Metroid, etc...

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'll be fine. I'm basically the opposite, I'm mostly unfamiliar with the third party characters (while a fan of almost everything else in the roster), but they're still well designed and fun to play. Also there's a lot of FE and Pokémon. lol

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Joker got me too OP.

But if you get a Switch for Smash you should try the other franchises, they are great.