• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Nah, no real break planned but I've pumped the breaks so to speak on my general game purchases. I can wait til things go on sale or until I've beaten other things before dropping more money these days.

Took 30 years but I've kinda started making adult decisions with my money. Let's see if we can get a month with more than $1,000 in my bank account~

OP
OP
Golden

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
[
Well, sure, but you did ask. And you asked it in the period in which some of the biggest, most awaited games in a long time are coming out. So, I guess a lot of people are very hyped about this year. If you're looking for affirmation of your choice, I think this is the wrong time for it, honestly. Of course, you buy or not buy what you want!
I don't care about validation, but there do seem to be a few people feeling the same way.

I updated my OP to add that I am not really hyped by some of the big releases this year, which is obviously a highly individual thing that we will all have different feelings on.

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
I've already slowed down my purchasing from 10 or even 5 years ago. At one point, I was buying 30 games a month. Now 3 games is a big month.

The real break for me comes actually when next gen hits. I have absolutely 0 interest in new consoles right now. I get so much mileage out of my Switch, PS4 and even 3DS that the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on new hardware in just a few months seems ridiculous to me. New consoles would have to have an all star killer line up for me to take the plunge.

I figure I'll take a bit of a break then and once the generation starts warming up, I'll take a look at my options. First time I'll be doing that since... jesus, I don't know. Always just had stuff at launch as an adult lol.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't many games I'm hyped for this year, so I'll probably hold off on most games anyway.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In a year where FFVII, Doom Eternal, Cyberpunk 2077, and TLoU2 come out beforehand, probably not

Yep. Add in Animal Crossing (though I guess thst doesn't matter since a Switch successor is further off) and those are my must buys the rest of the year. Probably all day one except for Doom as I'm not as big a fan of that and will just blow through the campaign once, so I'll wait for a price drop there (I'll buy on PC anyway). No way I'm waiting on the rest as those are some of my most anticipated games of this entire generation.

I don't care if they get next gen ports. I'm not that fussed about graphics and performance anymore. I'll only early adopt a PS5 if there's an absolute must have exclusive like a sequel to Horizon or God of War. Xbox I'm covered as they've said they're doing cross gen games for a while and the 970 etc in my PC is still going strong for Xbox ports in 1080p. Gears 5 ran great on mostly Ultra settings.

Last edited:

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah BC should be the norm for a while now. With consoles becoming more PC like and x86 based were not seeing the crazy proprietary hardware that requires complex emulation etc.

Until there's some big shift in CPU/GPU hardware BC should be the norm. It would be suicide for Sony or MS to just not support it with how many sales are digital these days and how people are used to keeping access to their digital content in other mediums.

Last edited:

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would but I don't think I'll be able to wait that long to play Doom Eternal or The Last of Us 2. I'm hoping there's some sort of cross buy or cheap upgrade option when those two games inevitably get next gen ports considering the PS4 versions will probably be BC

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
No way would I do that. The last year of a console usually has some of the best games. I couldn't do that to myself. It would be torture.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol hell nah. I'm trying to cut back on gaming spending but this year is too insane. Gonna play FF7 and TLOU2 for sure at launch and then sell my PS4 for the wait till next gen.

And CB2077 will definitely be played at launch.

Animal Crossing I'm buying to play with my fiance. The only big game I'm skipping till next gen is doom eternal

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Personally I'm catching up on all I've missed this generation.

Purchasing a PS4 Pro this late has been quite the treasure trove.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Not officially or specifically because of next gen consoles.

I'm consistently not hyped for most of the games that people list around here and I'm selective so only a few end up on my radar. The Last of Us 2 and (to a significantly lesser degree) Cyberpunk are the two I'd most expect to get near their launches, but next gen launch plans will have an impact.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Yes. It's not just because of the inter-gen lull, my backlog is unsurmountable and I'm making no progress because I'm constantly playing MHW:Iceborne.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
This is partly because, for the big games releasing this year, I would rather wait to play them on next gen.

It is also partly because I have a massive backlog of untouched highly rated games. A pause from buying will help me appreciate what I have.

It will also help save a bit of money and some domestic goodwill!
Yep, this is exactly what I'm planning atm.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Not in general, but I am pretty much done buying PlayStation titles since I'm planning to shift to Xbox for next gen. I will still continue to buy stuff for my Switch/Stadia.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely considering it. I was looking in to how much I could sell my PS4 Pro for right now, before the new consoles are fully revealed and prices start to dip.

It's tempting, especially since my PS4 was barely used in 2019 and all my most-wanted games are releasing late in 2019 - with the exception of The Last of Us Part 2, but I'm definitely not buying that until there's news on whether PS4 games will play on PS5 with improvements or if there will be a separate PS5 port.
I've just sold my ps4 pro. Going to be Switch and pc until I get ps5 or the new xbox.