• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I got one today. After hearing the possible theories of who's behind it, I think it's gotta be iam8bit

I moved about a year and a half ago, which is well after I last used any Sony products or services.

I don't see why it would be Coldplay because I've never indicated I liked them in any way

Microsoft's possible. I started playing Minecraft for a bit again last year after the move, so I might have made a new account and just forgot about it.

Iam8bit though, I'm signed up to their emailing list and I bought the Ori collection from them, which shipped in March.

The only thing that gives me pause though is their limited reach and size. Would they actually be able to afford to do a massive arg like this? They could've gotten funding from a partner, which is likely imo.

Maybe iam8bit is doing a Vinyl / product release for Starfield or Halo (or some other MS game). Maybe to launch alongside an announcement. Microsoft would definitely have the money and reach to help them do this.

Starfield seems too far away....heck, most of their big games seem too far out. I'd have to fall back on Halo Infinite there.

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't iam8bit working on creating something for last year's E3 before pulling out? Maybe that go revived?

Oct 25, 2017
I got two of them last week, but I just threw them out.

My favorite way to experience ARGs is to let other people do them.

juxjuxjux

Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Lore wise, which 343 is obssessed with, it's unlikely to be Halo. First contact does not occur on Earth in Halo.

halo.fandom.com

First Contact

First contact is a term describing the first meeting of two cultures previously unaware of one another. Humans first discovered extraterrestrial life form during their early colonisation of what would later be known as the Inner colonies. Even before contact with the Covenant Empire humanity had...

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
iam8bit is also in the same city these were mailed from.
Sure, but why would iam8bit do a massive viral marketing campaign like this? What could be so big that they'd randomly (or specifically) send people these random cards if it's something that they might not care about lmao. I feel like this has to be something where every person who has these cards have something in common which is why I'm still leaning towards a gaming publisher being behind this. It's not impossible when you think about it considering we give our names and addresses to so many publishers nowadays. Think about it, how many times do we have to sign up for an account for games? Stuff like WB Games, Ubisoft games and more asks us to login into accounts all the time

Additional insight from Reddit

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This post on reddit has some additional insights
The number 6 seems prominent throughout the clues.

Also, they've been working on it since yesterday on that subreddit lol

motodd

Oct 25, 2017
I got one today, Chicago area. Speculated connections that I have would be Hulu, Microsoft, iam8bit but not Coldplay unless they are using Ticketmaster or Livenation contact lists. I am not a fan and have never signed up for anything from them, bought merch, etc. My personal guess is MS game studios or Halo Infinite ARG marketing. Subbed to the thread and will ride this to the end.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I got one today, Chicago area. Speculated connections that I have would be Hulu, Microsoft, iam8bit but not Coldplay unless they are using Ticketmaster or Livenation contact lists. I am not a fan and have never signed up for anything from them, bought merch, etc. My personal guess is MS game studios or Halo Infinite ARG marketing. Subbed to the thread and will ride this to the end.
200.gif

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The iam8bit thing WOULD explain why I got one and my SO did not.

I just hope in the end we get something free out of it (...plz?)

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I hear "something weird is going on" and then some stereotypical UFO spaceship sounding sound effects.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It cannot be a coincidence that the phone number goes to Roswell, New Mexico. Any of the theories so far must have something to do with aliens/UFOs, which makes me skeptical of Coldplay being the answer.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
It cannot be a coincidence that the phone number goes to Roswell, New Mexico. Any of the theories so far must have something to do with aliens/UFOs, which makes me skeptical of Coldplay being the answer.

As much as I would like this to be Perfect Dark related ...

Please don't be Elvis, please don't be Elvis, please don't be Elvis.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This has me excited for me to check my mail tomorrow, hopefully I'm one of the people getting this...

I wonder what this is for, I can't imagine it being just a video game given how many people have gotten stuff, but E3 is also just around the corner...

Will be exciting to see what movie/game this is for

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

A concert in the middle of nowhere seems apt for a pandemic.

Do they glow in the dark, any black light tests?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah Coldplay is NOT on the list of even something that this could be related to. Kind of a coincidence with all the alien stuff popping up on the news too in the past week or so, but of course they probably put all of this together and planned it a long time ago. Yeah just some alien game, Halo or Starfield.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I hear "something weird is going on" and then some stereotypical UFO spaceship sounding sound effects.
Yeah so, the audio does clearly state "There is something weird going on here", here I've isolated the voice away from the rest of the audio quickly on Audacity just so people can focus on it more than the obnoxious sounds around it. (edit) audio isn't working let me re-upload it
they're probably contracting the print and mail work for some 3rd party
I mean yeah probably, I just wonder if this is iam8bit related, what could this possibly be lol

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Love me some ARG's.

Whatever this is has to do with Aliens, ET's, Roswell and Area 51. Are we sure it's gaming related though?

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah Coldplay is NOT on the list of even something that this could be related to. Kind of a coincidence with all the alien stuff popping up on the news too in the past week or so, but of course they probably put all of this together and planned it a long time ago. Yeah just some alien game, Halo or Starfield.
You know, after I posted that I learned that Coldplay is doing marketing involving aliens for their next album. Take a look at this website they made: Alien Radio FM and the corresponding Facebook group
The catch is that the symbols on the cards don't seem to match up with the alien alphabet Coldplay is using, and Coldplay's ARG is using purple/blue more prominently, not green.

juxjuxjux

Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, CA
You know, after I posted that I learned that Coldplay is doing marketing involving aliens for their next album. Take a look at this website they made: Alien Radio FM and the corresponding Facebook group
The catch is that the symbols on the cards don't seem to match up with the alien alphabet Coldplay is using, and Coldplay's ARG is using purple more prominently, not green.
The music this was hyping already came out, too. No point in continuing their ARG.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Love me some ARG's.

Whatever this is has to do with Aliens, ET's, Roswell and Area 51. Are we sure it's gaming related though?

"Games" seem to be the best connection we have, for the majority of people receiving it.

The catch is that the symbols on the cards don't seem to match up with the alien alphabet Coldplay is using, and Coldplay's ARG is using purple more prominently, not green.

I've heard some Coldplay stuff in the past, but I see it weird as to why this would even be targeted towards me.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's definitely iam8bit. I have yet to see anyone get these that's hasn't ordered from iam8bit.

still fun tho, interested to see what it leads to.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Oh maaaaaaybe:

iam8bit partners with Colplay to release Alien Radio on vinyl, exclusively!!!!

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Alright fixed, here's the voice isolated away from the rest of the obnoxious noise in the phone call. Like I said, I know it says "There's something weird going on here" but does anyone recognize this voice at all?

Definitely sounds like it could be Rasputin from Psychonauts - but it's really hard to tell with the distortion. The reason I brought up Psychonauts to begin with is Microsoft recently listed the new one and put the preload up, the color green, and the overall weirdness that that series entails.

If it's iam8bit though, I dunno if that mailing list is big enough for a Microsoft ARG.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
"Games" seem to be the best connection we have, for the majority of people receiving it.
Well in that case, idk. Doesn't really mesh with the sci-fi games we've seen. Not getting Halo or Starfield vibes from this.

Whatever it is is definitely connected to our grounded reality in some way and Earth based. Idk of any games that fit that criteria, so maybe it's something unannounced?

Monolith Productions (WB) has been working on a new sci-fi game for like 4 years now. Could be that? Idk I'm spitballing here lol

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think this it all gonna end with someone telling us about a great deal on an extended vehicle warranty.