• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you have the #sbfbu bug?

• Yes -- search bar fucked beyond usability

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No -- search bar fine, buck up

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
I use iCab Mobile as my main browser on iPhone and iPad -- it's an incredible package, with gesture navigation, adblocking, download manager, user agent switcher, extensions, customizable UI, etc. But recently I've been experiencing a nasty bug on the Google homepage which some searching suggests is impacting multiple third-party browsers.

Basically, the Google homepage has a new design where tapping the search bar moves it up to the top of the screen and turns the rest of the page into a list of previous searches and search suggestions that updates as you type. Problem is, this design malfunctions in a very weird and frustrating way: when you tap the search bar, about 80% of the time it somehow interprets that as a tap on one of those previous searches -- even though those don't actually appear on screen until after you've tapped the search bar. So instead of being able to type in a search, it takes you to the results page for something you searched earlier.

On the rare occasion it doesn't redirect, the URL changes to https://www.google.com/#sbfbu=1&pi=. Searching for "google sbfbu" shows many different help forums with people complaining about this glitch, often on alternative browsers like iCab, Kindle Fire's Silk browser, Android tablets, etc. I've seen it myself on two different iPhones and an iPad, including on the latest iOS.

I emailed iCab's awesome developer about it but he said he can't replicate, suggesting this is one of Google's infamous A/B tests which hasn't rolled out globally yet. So, is anybody else seeing this on their devices?