• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
To me, the title reminds me of western expansion in America and Manifest Destiny. I'm pretty sure that was kind of the idea they were going for, but it just has some weird implications.

Not to mention, the entire time I played HZD, the setting felt very Native American? Idk. I also wondered why they dropped the ball on making Aloy a darker skin toned Native American character, instead of just another white girl. The game seemed like the opportunity to do so.

I mean I'm still getting the game, I loved the first one. But I can't be the only one who had these thoughts, right?

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I think you are making it problematic.

It's fine. Relax. The name fits the world's theme for the franchise.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
There's enough stuff in the world that's offensive that we don't need to go looking for it.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
As a non-american, zero problems with the title.

Also, were you expecting them to change Aloy's skin color for the sequel?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a bit reaching imo.

I'm sure it's named like this because of the ingame lore. The west of their known land is forbidden, nobody ever came back, etc.

Has nothing to do with manifest destiny...

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I always thought Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en was pretty tasteless.

I mean that's LITERALLY what Lewis and Clark did smdh

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Eh...

It sounds to me like she's still going to be traveling to the westside of the map. She started in the east in the original game and she's gradually continued west. Now we'll see her go further west.

Tbh, I think you need to relax bruh. You're thinking too much here. In none of the numerous responses I've seen regarding this game's debut has anyone else said anything like this. Come on now lol.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Yes, and it also seems like they've doubled down on indigenous appropriation with this "evil tribe" they showed off.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
The original is set around Colorado iirc. So this would be going to the western edges of the US. Not sure the problem tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.