Man after Tokyo Mirage Sessions, a game I never ever belivied Atlus was capable of making, even post Persona 4..... it's only been getting worst fam

unknown.png

SVJ9Ul8.jpg

cYl4Rw5.png

E7NyJNa.jpg

- Generic anime art

- Sexualizing girls as young as 14

- Otaku meat beating bait (kinda ties in with the first two points)

- Generic power of friendship trope in mainline SMT games

After replaying SMT4:A and seeing certain scene in SMT4:A (spoilers)
13-14 year old toki screaming in pleasure because she becomes hyper aroused after sealing the jar and then calling the protag "master" afterwards
, mainline SMT might be done low key(for me anyways). Atlus used to make games that just wasn't like anything else on the market but I fear those days are over with. Go look at nocturne, DDS, raidou ect. I think having pop anime games like persona is fine, it pays the bills but turing a seies who's sole purpose was to go against the status-quo out is just taking things too far imo. WTF ua going on over there? Is there new creative directors? Has there been changes in leadership? Is this Sega's fault?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Apocalypse is one of their best designed games, Persona 3-5 are among my favorite games ever, and SMTV seems to be returning to the ambience of Nocturne.

Personally it's a great time to be a fan of SMT and Persona (albeit there are some extremely problematic elements in their games that I hope they address going forward).

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Of course not. SMT mainline fans need to chill TF out.

Apocalypse and TMS really got y'all on one

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's especially funny given how well designed Apocalypse is as a game, anime tropes notwithstanding.
Mechanically it's the best since Nocturne. There were some cringe elements in Apocalypse, but the gameplay and it how it slotted itself into the overall theme/universe of SMT
We actually get to confront YHWH for the first time since SMT II!
was great.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mechanically it's the best since Nocturne. There were some cringe elements in Apocalypse, but the gameplay and it how it slotted itself into the overall theme of SMT
We actually get to confront YHWH for the first time since SMT II!
was great.
Yup! It's extremely well accomplished in terms of mechanics, and narratively and thematically it manages to work better then IV proper did. It was great, I think a lot of people just freak out at the first sign of an anime aesthetic.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play 4A, but TMS and SMT4 were both fantastic, so no, not really worried.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Their smaller spin offs were always the best, to me anyways. Id kill for another Soul Hackers or Demon Summoner/Devil Survivor. F' it, give me more Last Bible

rude

Oct 25, 2017
No. How about we stop holding this series to what Nocturne did and let it do different things.

Also Doi is more than capable of handling demons. He's done great work with a few exceptions across 4/4A/SJR.

Nov 23, 2017
Press Turn means I Press-Buy, if you will, on the pre-order button

so as much as I don't like that type of content either, OP, these games live and die on mechanics and demon collecting and ill always be there if they deliver on it

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
If nothing else, I'm glad Kaneko is no longer designing humans. He had worse same-face syndrome than Akira Toriyama.

OP
OP
Chief Malik
No. How about we stop holding this series to what Nocturne did and let it do different things.

Also Doi is more than capable of handling demons. He's done great work with a few exceptions across 4/4A/SJR.
Okay but what about DDS, raidou and OG SJ? Why did they abandon that tone? Was kaneko really the only thing that made the aesthetic and tone of these games unique? And big cap on doi, he is generic asl.

Ant_17

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Greece
I don't care. I lost faith in ever getting original SMT so i just play them as weird Persona games.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay but what about DDS, raidou and OG SJ? Why did they abandon that tone? Was kaneko really the only thing that made the aesthetic and tone of these games unique? And big cap on doi, he is generic asl.
What "tone" do you think is missing here exactly? Because Raidou and DDS could not be more far apart in terms of tone. THe only reason Raidou isn't the most lighthearted SMT related game is because Demikids and Persona 4 exist.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nozomi says one time that having friends in the demon infested Tokyo is nice. That's not "power of friendship."

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. I've loved just about all of the mainline SMT games - even something like Apocalypse is still a great game.

That said, I don't like Doi's artwork as much as Kaneko's, think the additions they've made to just about every game they've rereleased have been mostly crap, etc.

OP
OP
Chief Malik
What "tone" do you think is missing here exactly? Because Raidou and DDS could not be more far apart in terms of tone. THe only reason Raidou isn't the most lighthearted SMT related game is because Demikids and Persona 4 exist.
generic art, terrible anime tropes all through out the remake of strange journey. There is nothing out there that looks like DDS and raidou. It's not about being "light hearted" or "dark", its about not being generic.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Okay but what about DDS, raidou and OG SJ? Why did they put abandon that tone? Was kaneko really the only thing that made the aesthetic and tone of these games unique? And big cap on doi, he is generic asl.
Are you asking me why Atlus isn't doing spninoffs anymore? I don't know. Maybe because Persona is a cash cow that they can milk by rehashing the same ideas/framework over and over again with less effort?

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Ehhh a little bit yeah on the topic of SMT I gotta hand it to the mobile game ( i know not mainline) it's making me smile

MVftt73.png

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Nintendo tree house definitely tried with TMS, the original had quite some gross things.

It's not like there wasn't questionable content before, argilla's had mouth tits in DDS for example. At least it wasn't there all the time and be that loud.

Fanservice has definitely been a thing atlus thinks makes their products sell, so they're gonna keep doing it.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Afte SMT4 I don't think MegaTen will be something I will ever enjoy, 4 was such a massive disappointment. Only Atlus franchise I care about Etrian and that might be dead too )-:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Are you asking me why Atlus isn't doing spninoffs anymore? I don't know. Maybe because Persona is a cash cow that they can milk by rehashing the same ideas/framework over and over again with less effort?
We'll get more spin-offs once they have all their assets setup for this gen anyway.
naw, im asking where the weird and unique tone and aesthetics went. hard to believe that one person disappearing made all that go away
Kaneko is still there and working on the story and world. He's just not the creative director anymore.

I do wish they'd go for something weird like Native American influenced Cyberpunk again, ala Soul Hackers, but /shrug.

Oct 27, 2017

Really, Nocturne WAS different at the time. It dropped the cyberpunk-y imagery, gave us a far more unique twist on the post apocalypse, and ditched the Law Neutral Chaos endings for something thematically different. I'm with the OP, but I think I've mostly learned to let go. I'm ready for SMTV, come what may.

...I just hope what may come is bleak and surreal.

This topic kind of feels just like a "old good, new bad" kind of thing OP

In this case "new" is more of the same (as in it's following broader market trends instead of what makes it unique.)

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
As long as the games remain mechanically fantastic as they have been, the future of SMT is fine IMO.

If they have to throw in a bit of anime pandering to pay the bills, fine. As long as it's not overbearing, I can deal.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No SMT is fine. Even the old games had some anime tropes. It wasn't just as obvious. After Apocalpyse I am not worried at all. Tokyo Mirrage Session was also a good game - it had just a way different aesthetic and was more a combination of SMT, Persona and japanese idol culture which was totally fine. Game also had some baller moments.

Edit: Oh it's the style for you? I am glad the ugly faces are finally gone

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just for reference the very serious and gritty SMTII has a scene in which the heroine is doused with a love potion and chases around the recurring Team Rocket antagonist while proclaiming her love for him.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Speaking for myself, I've heard TMS is a good game, but frankly the fact that Atlus decided to make the SMTXFE crossover about as something as insipid and off-puting as idol culture largely made me lose interest in playing it.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just for reference the very serious and gritty SMTII has a scene in which the heroine is doused with a love potion and chases around the recurring Team Rocket antagonist while proclaiming her love for him.
People seem to focus so much on the dark stuff and ignore that these "moody and bleak" games could be rally goofy at times.

Happen's with Persona 2 as well.