• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Persona 5 was in development for a lot longer than three years lol. It got delayed for three years if I remember correctly

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm kind of worried about the fact that they have not shown anything for too long about SMTV. I know Persona 5 took almost 3 years to came out, but IDK, unlike that game that had updates, here in almost 2 years and a half we have seen just 2 teasers and that's it. If I rememer correctly they had to re start TMS and for that reason that game took almost 3 years and didn't show anything in 2 years, so maybe they are having a similar issue? I hope not.
Both SMTIV and IVA took 3-3.5 years to develop. So I mean it's not that surprising we haven't seen much or gotten an update in a while. Development started in early 2017 and they entered full production in Feb 2018, so it's been a year since then and it will probably be another year plus till it's released. This is a big step for the SMT team, it's their first time using Unreal, it's their first HD title and it's their return to consoles in quite some time. I'm fine with no real info and with them taking their time on the game. If they do things right this could be a major leap forward for the SMT franchise, much like P5 was a big leap forward for the Persona series.

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
apocalypse is subversive punk is such a dumb take lol

rebel against the oppressiveness of smt to become like everything else out there!!

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Both SMTIV and IVA took 3-3.5 years to develop. So I mean it's not that surprising we haven't seen much or gotten an update in a while. Development started in early 2017 and they entered full production in Feb 2018, so it's been a year since then and it will probably be another year plus till it's released. This is a big step for the SMT team, it's their first time using Unreal, it's their first HD title and it's their return to consoles in quite some time. I'm fine with no real info and with them taking their time on the game. If they do things right this could be a major leap forward for the SMT franchise, much like P5 was a big leap forward for the Persona series.
I didn't know about some of those details. In that case it probably will be released in the west in 2021 or something like that.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
apocalypse is subversive punk is such a dumb take lol

rebel against the oppressiveness of smt to become like everything else out there!!

Rebel against the stifling LNC cycle that has been done well approximately three times in the nigh-30 year history of the franchise to the point of explicitly defining it as a tool of the main villain to keep the world in lockstep for all eternity.

But no, there's a childhood friendgirl (like the one in SMTI, Devil Survivor, Soul Hackers) so any merit the game has as a polemic against the franchise's own tired storytelling methods is dust in the wind.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
About that, now that Atlus has hopefully finished milking their ds/3ds engine we can hope for more ambitious spin-offs/remakes in the future. Though it may take some time since SMTV is basically them learning to work with Unreal Engine 5 and P Studio are using their own engine.

So far that has been bad news for Atlus. DS/3DS were the only chances to see these games coming back cause HD development has been only for Persona and its spin-offs which like i said previously, i find them a bit subpar (it's more milking on mainline games, while SMT spin-offs had different stories and characters).

We'll see after SMTV, we may see some new SMT spin-off reusing the assets but i'm not really sure what to expect.

Honestly, there's part of the Nocturne fanbase that never played any other mainline SMT games (or more than a bit) that can't stand any criticism that can be done about that game, which is a shame as it makes those discussions even harder.

So true.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I often wonder if some people actually played apocalypse, some opinions that i read about the game seems so wrong based on what I played

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Afte SMT4 I don't think MegaTen will be something I will ever enjoy, 4 was such a massive disappointment. Only Atlus franchise I care about Etrian and that might be dead too )-:

EO is already confirmed for post 3ds consoles iirc, but they obviously need time to work out how to get the series going on a single screen without a touch screen always accessible without making a serious compromise with the series core values (the map drawing is kinda important).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rebel against the stifling LNC cycle that has been done well approximately three times in the nigh-30 year history of the franchise.

But no, there's a childhood friendgirl (like the one in SMTI, Devil Survivor, Soul Hackers) so any merit the game has a polemic against the franchise's own tired storytelling methods is dust in the wind.
Yeah but it has friends, FRIENDS!

Everyone knows you cant be cool unless your cast is full of nothing but assholes who inevitably try to kill each other./s

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
We'll see after SMTV, we may see some new SMT spin-off reusing the assets but i'm not really sure what to expect.
While I doubt we'll see a return to the PS2 days with spin-offs as great or large as DDS1/2 and Raidou1/2 I think we'll still get some stuff. Creating hundreds of HD models for demons is a big investment and with that out of the way they'll have a fairly massive set of assets to exploit for other games. So it would be surprising if they go through all that work only to them use them in just the two main titles.

But we could easily get another game in the same vein as SJ or DS. I mean they're making a new EO engine for the Switch, why not leverage that work to make another SMT dungeon crawler and utilize all those demon models they made for P5, SMTV and SMT Mobile.

Deleted member 52823

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
SMTIV was awesome. I liked it much more than P5. I didn't play Apocalypse though.

Anyway I'm looking forward to V. It's cool that it will be on Switch, maybe it can appeal to more home console players.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont see a reason to be worried, they are pushing out content as good as ever and we have no reason to worry about SMT V

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be serious for a second I find accusing the Persona spin-offs to be taking away from the old spin-offs to be odd when the majority of them are developed by other teams and companies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but it has friends, FRIENDS!

Everyone knows you cant be cool unless your cast is full of nothing but assholes who inevitably try to kill each other./s

If people actually played Apocalypse they'd know that Gaston and Toki are two of the best Law and Chaos heroes in the series.

Certainly a league above Walter and Jonathan, anyway.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
If people actually played Apocalypse they'd know that Gaston and Toki are two of the best Law and Chaos heroes in the series.

Certainly a league above Walter and Jonathan, anyway.
I generally liked Walter, particularly considering things like his reaction to if you agree with Infernal Tokyo Akira's perspective at one point (wherein which Walter admits that he doesn't agree, but still respects your viewpoint nonetheless), but Jonathan was lame as hell. Jonathan even had the more boring branch split halfway through the game. Gaston grew on me, and Toki was great.

Cube

May 18, 2018
Apocalypse came out 3 years ago so I'm not too worried. We'll probably hear more info after P5R is out or maybe even at E3.

SMTIV -> SMTIV: A -> Persona 5 -> Persona 5 The Royal -> SMTV?

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
Rebel against the stifling LNC cycle that has been done well approximately three times in the nigh-30 year history of the franchise to the point of explicitly defining it as a tool of the main villain to keep the world in lockstep for all eternity.

But no, there's a childhood friendgirl (like the one in SMTI, Devil Survivor, Soul Hackers) so any merit the game has a polemic against the franchise's own tired storytelling methods is dust in the wind.

it's true, the smt games we get every 5-10 years have left me feeling very stifled and seeking out new experiences like love triangles with 14 year olds who call you master, peeping tom scenes with your female party members, buddhas acting like fourth-rate mobster underlings, and steven standing out of his wheelchair to show how much of a badass he is.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I generally liked Walter, particularly considering things like his reaction to if you agree with Infernal Tokyo Akira's perspective at one point (wherein which Walter admits that he doesn't agree, but still respects your viewpoint nonetheless), but Jonathan was lame as hell. Gaston grew on me, and Toki was great.

The problem with Walter and Jonathan is that the game builds them up as reasonable people with differing viewpoints destined to drive them apart, most apparent in the high point of the game with the alternate universes, and then the endgame happens and they go fucking bonkers and immediately become violent extremists.

Seriously I want an entire game based on Infernal Tokyo. It's like SMT Devilman.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
3DS -> Switch is a big jump dear friend, no wonder ATLUS is having a little trouble with some of their niche series

Its gonna come out fine

Oct 28, 2017
I advise that people go play the mobile game, Dx2. Its free-to-play, has fusion mechanics, press turn battle mechanics and everything SMT normally does. There's obvious stamina limitations, as per every mobile gacha game, but you can at least get through the story without having to worry too much about that.

You'll see what kind of direction SMT is in with that.

There's shitloads of demons, fully rendered in 3D, so I can easily imagine they'll be used in SMT5.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's true, the smt games we get every 5-10 years have left me feeling very stifled and seeking out new experiences like love triangles with 14 year olds who call you master, peeping tom scenes with your female party members, buddhas acting like fourth-rate mobster underlings, and steven standing out of his wheelchair to show how much of a badass he is.

I ain't saying Apocalypse didn't have its faults, Toki's handling being one of them, I'm saying it's being shortchanged because it looks a little too anime and people like you are ignoring the actual smart things it has to say about how repetitive and beholden to its own tropes the franchise has become.

And the fight against Steven in the Diamond Realm where you team up with all the past protagonists was fucking awesome, I don't care what anyone says.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Agree. I think people who complain about fun stuff happening in SMT games basically only look at Nocturne and ignore the fact that besides being dark, the series is actually consistently really funny and goofy, which gives it some of its charm. People obsessed with Nocturne are basically the genwunners of the SMT fandom in a way.
I actually remember reading that apparently the Japanese audience was initially negative toward Nocturne because it was so different from I, II, and if... They came around on it eventually, so much that Nocturne's battle theme actually got #1 in a poll about favorite music from the series.

I used to have the "sky is falling" mentality about SMT, and still do have some reservations about it, but I don't think it is all doom and gloom. IV and IV:A had the best soundtracks in the whole series, full stop. IV had the bad guest demon designs, but some of them were winners (Minotaur's was excellent). Doi brought back a lot of the guest demons for Apocalypse and fixed them to varying degrees. IV had a lot of demons simply just being too busy, such as Medusa looking like something a Slipknot fan in high school would have drawn. They fixed it in Apocalypse.

SJ Redux had the problematic art for sure, which was a straight downgrade. Tokyo Mirage Sessions was actually a good game, despite it not being the initially teased Marth x Demi-Fiend.

I am optimistic about SMTV though, based on the trailer we got, it looks quite good. I just want to see more of it... Any day now Atlus.

Also I would buy and play the hell of the inevitable Nocturne remake, even if they downgrade the art. Honestly in Apocalypse, Demi-Fiend looked fine.

Oct 27, 2017

This, but unironically.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's an issue. If this is needed to make the series appealing then I'm seriously questioning what kind of folks are appealed with teenagers wearing swimsuits, and why do we need them?

SMT doesn't have to be this way, and it doesn't even need to. The core of SMT is to offer something that understands the current landscape and try to avoid pitfalls. These kinds of bottom of the barrel anime swivel is just conformity. I hold SMT at a higher standard than just being different or keeping in line with the LNC.

Also Stephen not actually being disabled is some of the most offensive things I've seen in video games. Fuck that

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Walter and Jonathan is that the game builds them up as reasonable people with differing viewpoints destined to drive them apart, most apparent in the high point of the game with the alternate universes, and then the endgame happens and they go fucking bonkers and immediately become violent extremists.

Seriously I want an entire game based on Infernal Tokyo. It's like SMT Devilman.
They do both ultimately have that same problem typically associated with the alignment representative characters in mainline SMT, yeah.

I, too, would love a whole game based on Infernal Tokyo. Pretty much the most fascinating part of the game outside of the regular Tokyo (the tone, scenario, and even the map theme had serious '90s anime vibes for me).

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Agree. I think people who complain about fun stuff happening in SMT games basically only look at Nocturne and ignore the fact that besides being dark, the series is actually consistently really funny and goofy, which gives it some of its charm. People obsessed with Nocturne are basically the genwunners of the SMT fandom in a way.
SMT is super funny, it's super campy and still what happens in Nocturne is not utterly unique in the series. Nocturne by itself is good because it managed to offer a compelling experience that managed to offer new perspectives, but it isn't forsaking its legacy at all, nor does it try to pander.

Sex is a big element of SMT and I've never been against., There's a lot of sexy designs, a lot of sensuality in how they're portrayed. But the shit we're seeing right now is just FBI honey pot, a far cry from what Kaneko designs (just compare it with Lilith as an example).

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
The point that's being made is that 4A is more punk and subversive, you're just listing things you didn't like about it in an attempt to discredit that view.

4A is a game that uses the traditions of its own series as the stand in for "the system". Unlike a game like Persona 5 which talks big but ultimately does absolutely nothing to actually commit to its themes of rebellion, 4A follows through on both a thematic and mechanical level.

It would be easy for the game to have played it safe and just said that it's about challenging arbitrary systems, but it went one step further and actively broke the series' own arbitrary systems. If you want to actually take the game seriously and give it credit, you could even argue that the tonal change is itself an act of rebellion. 4A is an SMT game that isn't following the set tone of SMT games. It's lighthearted, it's fun, and it's both of those things without actually sacrificing the narrative elements that make SMT what they are. It is different of course, and it is absolutely understandable why so many dislike it, but it's still by far the game that does the most to follow through on the idea of challenging authority which, whilst divine in the narrative itself, extends in this case to the abstract concept of expectations for what an SMT game can even be.

I don't want to try and make you feel like you shouldn't dislike the game, because your complaints are completely legitimate, but it really feels like you're trying to knock back praise for it without really having any counterpoints for the specifics being praised, purely because you don't like seeing something you dislike be praised.

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
The point that's being made is that 4A is more punk and subversive, you're just listing things you didn't like about it in an attempt to discredit that view.

4A is a game that uses the traditions of its own series as the stand in for "the system". Unlike a game like Persona 5 which talks big but ultimately does absolutely nothing to actually commit to its themes of rebellion, 4A follows through on both a thematic and mechanical level.

It would be easy for the game to have played it safe and just said that it's about challenging arbitrary systems, but it went one step further and actively broke the series' own arbitrary systems. If you want to actually take the game seriously and give it credit, you could even argue that the tonal change is itself an act of rebellion. 4A is an SMT game that isn't following the set tone of SMT games. It's lighthearted, it's fun, and it's both of those things without actually sacrificing the narrative elements that make SMT what they are. It is different of course, and it is absolutely understandable why so many dislike it, but it's still by far the game that does the most to follow through on the idea of challenging authority which, whilst divine in the narrative itself, extends in this case to the abstract concept of expectations for what an SMT game can even be.

I don't want to try and make you feel like you shouldn't dislike the game, because your complaints are completely legitimate, but it really feels like you're trying to knock back praise for it without really having any counterpoints for the specifics being praised, purely because you don't like seeing something you dislike be praised.

if you like schlock that's totally fine, i like schlock in other contexts too, you don't have to come up with disingenuous arguments about how apocalypse is super smart actually!! i gave those examples off the top of my head because the whole game is like that, just at a fundamental basic level the writing quality is low, everything is executed flatly and without finesse. isn't it weird how there are so many choices in this game that don't matter at all? isn't it stupid how the game takes the monotheism vs polytheism subtext and just renders it literally? these writers aren't trying to challenge the conventions of smt they're just making a game for japanese teens who buy games today, and throwing in sops to older series fans that completely whoosh on the point (the diamond realm dungeon was so terrible!). there's nothing subversive about making your game adolescent, it's just making your game adolescent.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Despite multiple posts and explanations, I cant tell what the op is trying to say except "it looks anime now".

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
if you like schlock that's totally fine, i like schlock in other contexts too, you don't have to come up with disingenuous arguments about how apocalypse is super smart actually!! i gave those examples off the top of my head because the whole game is like that, just at a fundamental basic level the writing quality is low, everything is executed flatly and without finesse. isn't it weird how there are so many choices in this game that don't matter at all? isn't it stupid how the game takes the monotheism vs polytheism subtext and just renders it literally? these writers aren't trying to challenge the conventions of smt they're just making a game for japanese teens who buy games today, and throwing in sops to older series fans that completely whoosh on the point (the diamond realm dungeon was so terrible!). there's nothing subversive about making your game adolescent, it's just making your game adolescent.
Buddy, just because I have a different opinion to you doesn't mean I'm being disingenuous, and I'm not exactly sure what worth there is in any of this if you're just going to accuse people who don't share your views on a game as lying about theirs.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're doing that thing where you ignore the whole point of a post and just rattle off a bunch of things you vaguely dislike again.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
That doesn't make it good.

Al yall need to read/watch his interviews, especially those with Okada and Tadashi. They were crafting WORLDS sometimes years out from a finished product launched. Worlds defined by words like "cataclysm" "punk" and "rebirth", steeped in the best of sci-fi, fantasy, and myth.

Until these are understood, The Demon Painter and the caesura between IV and IV A's ethstetics wont be understood, nor The Atlus Crazy.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SMTV is vaporware.

Despite multiple posts and explanations, I cant tell what the op is trying to say except "it looks anime now".
I hate the usual "anime = bad" stuff here in this site, but anyone who played SMT IV Apocalypse can say how awful the Persona influence is in it. Toki is the worst character in the whole series and is treated in a bizarre and terrible way.

I'm an anime fan and loved stuff like TMS, that has great gameplay and a fun feel, but even I can't say I'm happy anymore to what's happening to Atlus. Variety is disappearing from the company, I wouldn't mind if they had stuff for their other fans, but they don't anymore. They are becoming The Persona Company -- that's the only thing they focus and talk about, besides the other Hashino stuff.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Al yall need to read/watch his interviews, especially those with Okada and Tadashi. They were crafting WORLDS sometimes years out from a finished product launched. Worlds defined by words like "cataclysm" "punk" and "rebirth", steeped in the best of sci-fi, fantasy, and myth.

Until these are understood, The Demon Painter and the caesura between IV and IV A's ethstetics wont be understood, nor The Atlus Crazy.
...Okay?

None of that explains why Kaneko can only draw two-three human faces max.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised this meme hasn't been posted yet:

ovg0mcY.jpg

While I do have faith in SMT V (personally I can't wait. I'm pumped to finally getting a new mainline SMT game again), I definitely don't like the new art direction of making everything look a bit cuter. The Strange Journey port for 3DS changing the art, making the female characters blush and shit was one hell of a weird decision, to put it friendly...

OP
OP
Chief Malik

ovg0mcY.jpg

While I do have faith in SMT V (personally I can't wait. I'm pumped to finally getting a new mainline SMT game again), I definitely don't like the new art direction of making everything look a bit cuter. The Strange Journey port for 3DS changing the art, making the female characters blush and shit was one hell of a weird decision, to put it friendly...
This meme is extremely accurate

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...Okay?

None of that explains why Kaneko can only draw two-three human faces max.
I honestly think people just paint him as a god designer because it appeals to this forum's sensibilities. He's good because he has a nice and unique art, but the same face is there and Doi is a really good artist too that gets hate for not being Kaneko.

ovg0mcY.jpg

These comments about TMS don't make much sense when it's a new sub-franchise. Megaten subfranchises all have different styles. TMS itself has great gameplay too.

The problem is the mainline series getting these elements that shouldn't be there and how the company only makes Persona, Persona, Persona, Persona, Persona non-stop while letting their other series rot.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think people just paint him as a god designer because it appeals to this forum's sensibilities. He's good because he has a nice and unique art, but the same face is there and Doi is a really good artist too that gets hate for not being Kaneko.

These comments about TMS don't make much sense when it's a new sub-franchise. Megaten subfranchises all have different styles. TMS itself has great gameplay too.

The problem is the mainline series getting these elements that shouldn't be there and how the company only makes Persona, Persona, Persona, Persona, Persona non-stop while letting their other series rot.

TMS also has fantastic art and character designs.

20160615_161200_thumb.png

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I'm willing to bet Rick and Morty fans and SMT (Nocturne) fans have a high crossover rate

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Yeah, i get opinions are opinions, but "Soejima has bland art" is a horrible take as far as I'm concerned.

toi8 is a good artist too though.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
The worst thing about TMS is the sheer gulf in the illustrations and 3D models.

And like, the in game models actually look really nice. They've got this really nice shading and the colours are great, but it just doesn't compare to the illustrated art.