• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? People beg for handheld ports of Persona all the time, did you not see the fiasco that was P5S? Persona was never some graphics king, the art style is top notch though. And SMT hasnt been first person for a while
If they ever announced a Persona game with the production levels of a Strange Journey or Devil Survivor, this forum would absolutely hate it. While if a Megaten game in this style was announced, I doubt people would mind that much. The expectations for these games are very different and I don't think this is some hard thing to accept. Not saying Persona is AAA level, but it's sold a lot as a console experience.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they ever announced a Persona game with the production levels of a Strange Journey or Devil Survivor, this forum would absolutely hate it. While if a Megaten game in this style was announced, I doubt people would mind that much. The expectations for these games are very different and I don't think this is some hard thing to accept. Not saying Persona is AAA level, but it's sold a lot as a console experience.
Persona 3 Portable was literally stripped down into a VN-esque format. No cutscenes, no walking overworld

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once again I remember a lot of people complaining about 4 being on the 3DS and using sprites.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Love IV, really like Apocalypse for how weird it is in terms of it's clashing tones.

Could have done without the Toki moaning for sure though.

Also, that beach DLC was optional content that *can* be skipped should one not be down with it (like me).

Apocalypse has a lot of merits for me. Very weird JRPG actually. Surreal, creepy in a way, and cool in aesthetic.

I also liked some of the twists near the end in story.

V should be excellent.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
I'm not worried about quality. Overall, I've generally seen each new release as an improvement. As long as they don't go too far with Persona influence, but being influenced by anime is nothing new. I also see none of their artists as bad, just different.

However, I am concerned about the quantity of SMT games, compared to Persona, and the possibility that it will only get worse.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once again I remember a lot of people complaining about 4 being on the 3DS and using sprites.
Where? The old site? Like I said, it's not a big deal to most Megaten fans considering Japan's preferences and sales results. Do you really think a P6 would sell more than P5 if it had sprites and first person battles? Presentation is a way bigger part of Persona than SMT.

to consolidate all the positive and negative points. There are people who prefer one over the other still. To say that Persona fans somehow are graphics snobs and dont like handheld is untrue.
My point is that SMT fans wouldn't complain if they got small scale games, while big Persona releases can't be like this. Comparing franchises doesn't make much sense then. People would be happier with several SMT releases with lower budget, than just one "big" game.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My point is that SMT fans wouldn't complain if they got small scale games, while big Persona releases can't be like this. Comparing franchises doesn't make much sense then. People would be happier with several SMT releases with lower budget, than just one "big" game.
I feel like most fanbases are like this. Everyone wants their big game still, but like smaller things in between

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where? The old site? Like I said, it's not a big deal to most Megaten fans considering Japan's preferences and sales results. Do you really think a P6 would sell more than P5 if it had sprites and first person battles? Presentation is a way bigger part of Persona than SMT.

I love that you somehow know how every MegaTen and Persona fan would react to everything.

Yes people bitched on the old site that IV was on the 3DS. The game doesn't change the fact that a lot of people complained about it. Video game fans whining about something and then buying the game anyway is not a new concept, I've done it myself.

I guarantee you if they announced some of these "low budget' games now you'd have people crying about how unfairly MegaTen was being treated compared to Persona. "Why doesn't it get the budget it deserves!"

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that you somehow know how every MegaTen and Persona fan would react to everything.

Yes people bitched on the old site that IV was on the 3DS. The game doesn't change the fact that a lot of people complained about it. Video game fans whining about something and then buying the game anyway is not a new concept, I've done it myself.

I guarantee you if they announced some of these "low budget' games now you'd have people crying about how unfairly MegaTen was being treated compared to Persona. "Why doesn't it get the budget it deserves!"
Where did I say I know how every Megaten and Persona fan react to things? But when people compare P5 and SMTV as the same it makes no sense because SMT is used to subfranchises with smaller budgets, it's not the same at all. Between multiple games with varying budgets and only one game, I doubt people would pick ONE game.

I don't think people would be complaining if we got ports and smaller stuff like DeSu 3 while they develop SMTV. Did people complain about that during the 3DS gen? Nope.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where did I say I know how every Megaten and Persona fan react to things? But when people compare P5 and SMTV as the same it makes no sense because SMT is used to subfranchises with smaller budgets, it's not the same at all. Between multiple games with varying budgets and only one game, I doubt people would pick ONE game.

I don't think people would be complaining if we got ports and smaller stuff like DeSu 3 while they develop SMTV. Did people complain about that during the 3DS gen? Nope.
I'm talking about mainline titles. Why do you keep bringing up spin-offs? I bring it up becuse I very much remember people complaing about IV's grapphics.

Persona got spin-offs with weaker graphics too.

Where did I say I know how every Megaten and Persona fan react to things?

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about mainline titles. Why do you keep bringing up spin-offs? I bring it up becuse I very much remember people complaing about IV's grapphics.

Persona got spin-offs with weaker graphics too.
Because people say "SMT is fine, it has even a game coming out eventually" when the franchise always existed as some sort of umbrella for several subfranchises with varying budgets and production levels. If this aspect dies and we only get one game, this means SMT is basically losing a lot of what made it special and god knows when a next game would be released.

And I don't get how you got that perception from my post. I didn't say every fan reacts the same, but portable is a preference for most japanese players and sales proved the game didn't suffer for being "lower budget" than a console game.

My point is exactly that people don't want SMT to become a franchise you may get only one game every 5~6 years and are fine with lower budget projects.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
IV is the best selling game in the series, if graphics mattered it wouldnt be
And it just isnt because 3DS userbase because PS2 sold better than it in the west and very close to it in Japan.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Couldn't get far in SMTIVA. I played through the original SMTIV about six times in a row before putting it down, but the second, in spite of certain technical improvements, was...well, I hated it, and I'll leave it at that.

But SMTIV's story was quite satisfying for me (obviously). The Persona games I think are great for what they are, though I haven't played V yet.

I really like the DS (and 3DS ports) Devil Survivor games. They're something a little different as well, but make a great and satisfying part of the SMT universe.

I'm not worried, really. I believe Apocalypse was a different team, and I won't hold it against Atlus in general.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
SMT is not getting more Anime, Anime has always been varied and a great visual medium. Doi is a great artist, even I if like Kaneko a bit more.

Best-Anime-Movies-00.jpg

For the SMTV trailers, I get a soul Hackers vibe, and that can only be good imo.

Jul 24, 2018
I don't understand how Persona is measured in terms of "bad" when judging Atlus' overall repetoire, Persona 5's tone was particularly close to that of old SMT, and they are still as fun, engaging, stylish with great characters compared to most JRPGs as always. I do miss Kaneko's artstyle though, and do get the annoyance with how Atlus seems to want to make all their games closer to Persona simply because it is more popular. EA did the same thing with making Dead Space and Dragon Age into something resembling Mass Effect. I love Persona for what it is, not a big fan of the other games trying to imitate it but not doing it as well as it does. I'm optimistic about Persona, and their new IP's, a bit skeptical of SMT though.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, well, well, the plot thickens.

I know it doesn't means anything, but I can't help by I got the hunch that it could be it.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
That twitter thread is super ridiculous and jumps to wild conclusions. Kind of embarrassing to read.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mean to bring up my assumptions over it. It could be nothing but pure speculation, but the thread tweets make it sounds likely to be related to SMT artist just happened to having a "complex" relationship with Altus over art concepts or something like that.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Who is that person on Twitter? Is that not just some rando that has no real connection to Atlus?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I have the Kaneko art books 1-7. My copies of 1-3 are 2018 reprints, and don't contain Kaneko's name in the copyright either just like 4-7. I'm guessing the original prints of 1-3 did have his name.

However the books are still called Kaneko Works...

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Why? Both SMT4 and SMT4A were received positively. No reason to doubt 5 because some dude on twitter has an obvious chip on his shoulder that Kaneko isn't doing the art anymore.
I actually slid into their DMs (they were open). I don't know if I'll actually get an answer and I DMed them in English. They're comments about the top brass at Atlus seem strange, but I'm wondering if they're just speculating that that's causing stuff like the storyline of Apocalypse and what's taking so long with SMTV.

My guess is that it's speculation, but I'm curious to find out if they actually have any connection to Atlus.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Update: I got a response, I won't detail what they said, but I can confirm they're not connected to Atlus in any way. It's speculation based on evidence they have seen (the copyrights and all that stuff outlined in the tweets). I thanked them for responding and wished them well.

My personal opinion: I'm still not incredibly worried about SMTV. I will get a little concerned if we don't see anything come November, but a friend pointed this out to me on Twitter the other day:

Kazuyuki Yamai, Shin Megami Tensei Series Producer
Known for: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha series, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse

"Shin Megami Tensei V is currently in development. I'm extremely sorry that the lack of news since we announced the title has worried everyone. However, development itself is steadily progressing, so please rest assured. With V, it will be 14 years since the release of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniax that the series is released on a home console, and getting to use the the industry's leading Unreal Engine 4 has motivated us. The high level of freedom and work efficiency Unreal Engine 4 grants creators, coupled with Atlus' creative spirit in that we obsess over every little detail, means we will have to ask for some time until we get to the finishing touches, but everyone on the development staff is doing their absolute best. Thanks to that, we've gone through the stage of checking the performance of game scenes that have surprised our developers many times over, so we're feeling the excitement and developer advantage everyday. Finally, 2019 will be a year where we ask everyone 'various things.' Honestly, I'm full of expectation and anxiety, but I hope that the staff's efforts so far will show in a big way. It will be a little longer, but please wait for the next update."

I swear I remember some comment someone at Atlus made saying we would see footage this year (obviously no way in hell the game would release even in Japan this year), but maybe I'm just misremembering it as the above quote.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Kaneko was the lifeblood of SMT. If you read his early interviews it's clear that it wasn't just Kaneko's art style that gave SMT a certain atmosphere, it was his worldview, intellectual interests, and general vibe which heavily influenced SMT. It's so disappointing to see Atlus pretending like he doesn't exist anymore.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Kaneko was the lifeblood of SMT. If you read his early interviews it's clear that it wasn't just Kaneko's art style that gave SMT a certain atmosphere, it was his worldview, intellectual interests, and general vibe which heavily influenced SMT. It's so disappointing to see Atlus pretending like he doesn't exist anymore.
You'll 100% see him behind the worldview on V. He did a fair bit of writing on IV, which is what he seems more focused on these days.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not entirely convinced it's malicious from the rest of the company. My main reason for this is that he was still involved in SMTIV and credited in SMTIV Apocalypse (although I don't know how much he was involved there).

He's credited in IV for "Scenario concept, demon designer "

In Apocalypse he's credited for "Concept, demon designer "

In the IV art book, there's actually mentions of discussion with Kaneko about the scenario. There's a page where they talk about how they designed Tokyo under the firmament, and initially had a sky, and Kaneko basically said "no, that isn't it" and that the humans shouldn't be all prisoners. I know he had also said in the past that he wanted younger artists to take the reigns.

It's really hard to gauge if Kaneko is happy or not as we haven't heard much from him since he disappeared into the flower field. I think with cases like Hideo Kojima, there were definitely signs something was wrong, as much as Konami tried to hide them. It could mean Atlus is more competent, but I'm still not entirely convinced something malicious is going on there.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
As a huge SMT fan that's played most of the games (barring the Raidou series), I don't think there's anything to be worried about.

• SMTIV is the best SMT game to me so far, period. It has a great plot, excellent world design, the best music in the series, insane character/equipment customization, a really cool plot twist, and a ton of conveniences it affords the player. The one thing I found lacking was the demon designs, most of which were fixed in Apocalypse.

• SMTIV: Apocalypse definitely has issues walking the fine line between otaku crap and SMT vibes at times, and I immensely dislike the parts of it that veer off into "animu" territory, but on the whole it's an excellent game and even more mechanically refined than IV. We also know that Apocalypse was the old guard giving their younger staff a chance to "stretch their legs," so to speak, but SMTV very much looks to be a return to the moody vibes of I, II, III, and IV. (Which were also present in Apocalypse)

• Tokyo Mirage Sessions... let's not talk about that. It was a gigantic marketing error on Nintendo's part. They never should have associated it with SMT to begin with, and I think they realize that now. You aren't going to see them making that same mistake again. It's much more of a Fire Emblem spin-off with light Atlus influences.

On the whole, we're fine. The devteam behind IV and IV: Apocalypse is incredibly talented, and probably the best the series has seen to date. Based on the trailers for SMTV and the fact that this specific team is behind the game, I'm very confident it will be fantastic. And once V is out the door, I'm sure we'll see them build a bunch of awesome spin-offs using its tech, demon models, and general systems.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Everything I've heard from Kaneko implies that he willingly stepped back to let fresh blood have a shot at the games. I don't think it's some conspiracy to keep him hidden in the broom closet.