• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Japanese version does at least. And unless they patch it for the English release.... I don't think it's gonna be different. Someone told me that yesterday and I went to look at a framerate test on YouTube and it drops in the low 20s. Huge turn off for me. It sucks because I love DQB and me + 2 friends were gonna buy it

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the Japanese version does at least. And unless they patch it for the English release.... I don't think it's gonna be different. Someone told me that yesterday and I went to look at a framerate test on YouTube and it drops in the low 20s. Huge turn off for me. It sucks because I love DQB and me + 2 friends were gonna buy it
The original did too on Switch, it actually ran better undocked. From what I understand the framerate issues in 2 happen more when things get really complicated later game though and it's not throughout.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The original did too on Switch, it actually ran better undocked. From what I understand the framerate issues in 2 happen more when things get really complicated later game though and it's not throughout.
Not from what I've seen in the video though, and in the first the fps was unlocked too but I don't remember it dropping under 30, at least not frequently if it did

leder

Oct 25, 2017
It looks really fun to me, but unfortunately I don't think I'll have time to play it with everything else coming out.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
It's one of the games I'm looking forward to the most this year. And it's one of the very few games my wife is actually wanting to play. She adored the first one and rarely plays games, so it'll nice to sit on the couch and backseat game with her haha

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
the first ran fine in portable mode, I was hoping this was the same, since it...looks about the same >_>

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Not from what I've seen in the video though, and in the first the fps was unlocked too but I don't remember it dropping under 30, at least not frequently if it did
It was unlocked in 1 but definitely dropped into the 20s docked on your island if you had a lot going on post-game. Really juddery in general though, it probably would've been better with a 30fps cap for smoothness.

I haven't played 2 myself but that's what the review I watched on it mentioned. Really good review in general for those interested so I'll link:

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was unlocked in 1 but definitely dropped into the 20s docked on your island if you had a lot going on post-game. Really juddery in general though, it probably would've been better with a 30fps cap for smoothness.

I haven't played 2 myself but that's what the review I watched on it mentioned. Really good review in general for those interested so I'll link:

Yeah but that's the thing, in the video I've seen, there doesn't seem to have that much going on, just exploring normally, and it drop in the low 20. Where the 1st one was able to hit 60fps for a lot of the time from what I've played.

Here's the video if you're interested.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Contra Network uses pirated software and their framerate tests have been suspect in the past. Watch the video I linked, performance isn't perfect but it appears to run pretty well mostly. And the reviewer makes note of the later game framerate issues on Switch (and also the fact this game chews battery worse than BOTW!).

edit: also that video is using the prelaunch demo, not the final game.

Last edited:

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I absolutely loved the first one- it was way better and more charming than I expected.

So excited to play the sequel in co-op!

Raybunzy

Oct 26, 2017
Hell yes I am. Loved the first one so much. This one looks so much more promising. Companions, gliding, new enemies... ? Oh yes.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
If performance is OK in handheld mode I'm in. I really enjoyed the demo of the first game and the sequel seems to be making the first one largely obsolete?

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the first one and I like the new additions .. I havent liked the marketing and how it breaks the 4th wall but I dont think thats really what the game is about, but yeah, my wife was also a big fan so well be playing together :)

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
DQB was the sleeper hit that became my GotY the year it came out. I am absolutely thrilled to know that there is a sequel and it is COMING SO SOON

such a good game

Oct 27, 2017
Very excited. Played at E3 until the timer ended my game session. Feels like the first one but more refined. I always loved the making a blueprint and building stuff in it. Definitely picking up at launch.

Also seems like they expanded how involved the villagers get

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Boy, am I. I cannot fucking wait for this game. Played the first game's demo and was hooked as hell but ultimately decided against buying it because the existence of the second game was already known. Been waiting over a year since then.

I know this is a tired meme but in this case it is true. This game is perfect for Switch!

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Would buy it if I finished the first by now, but alas I'm still stuck in World 2... I hate that map so very much.
I also feel like 2's artstyle looks less ... charming? Don't know, DQB1 just seemed more endeering to me.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Very much so, the first one came close to greatness if it wasn't for the restart at every new level.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I'm incredibly excited for it. Adore the first one, and everything I've seen of the second makes the first one look like a pile of crap by comparison.

I've played a lot of the demo on Switch (JP version) and the framerate isn't ideal but it's definitely playable, and a small price to pay for portability. For me anyway.

It's the Link hat preorder or just having a DQB1 save state?
Save state. I think you have to have cleared the first chapter for the hat, and the final chapter for the Dragonlord Throne.
It seems than the first one is actually better.
What makes you say that? I've been in the DQB subreddit and reading impressions of it since it came out and have yet to hear anyone say it's anything but a massive improvement in every way.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I've been hearing the exact opposite, could you elaborate? :)

A review from Gamekult.(6/10)

-the game is very linear
-there is no story mode if you play with other players
-you have to unlock the multiplayer mode:
-The fights are less interesting.The monsters can't destroy your buildings anymore.
-No too much building this time...you can spend a lot of time without building anything.A lot of NPCs will do everything for you.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Yup. Day 1 buy for me. I hope the story is as engaging as the first game.

DQB consumed me in pretty much the same way as BotW.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Getting it day one, so yeah, I'm excited. I had a lot of fun with the first game and will probably go through all the challenges before 2 releases.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I am! The first one took me by surprise and it seems like DQB2 has everything I thought the first one was missing.
It's one of my most anticipated games of the year.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
I am.

Though it will have to wait, thanks to Square releasing it close to FFXIV shadowbringers.

2 games from the same company and studio releasing almost 10 days apart.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. I played the first for about 10 hours and felt I got enough out of it at that point. The games are a lot of fun and I much prefer this to something like Minecraft, but ultimately they're not for me.

-the game is very linear
-The fights are less interesting.The monsters can't destroy your buildings anymore.
-No too much building this time...you can spend a lot of time without building anything.A lot of NPCs will do everything for you.
Honestly this makes the game more appealing in my eyes.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

-the game is very linear

Mmm, the building thing sounds bad for the type of play i like actually (i like building stuff, if the villagers are completely automated in building your city, that would make me sad, but if you can choose that would be great actually). I was waiting for 2 instead of buying 1 after loving the demo, but it seems it change some things for the worse? While i would not like monsters detroying my buildings all the time, a little bit of it seems cool. The fights seem less interesting? how so?

What do people that have played both think?

Jun 26, 2018

-the game is very linear

Okay, that's not as bad as I thought :) From what I've seen/heard the use of the NPC's to build is more or less optional, though it helps out when you're just building massive blueprints.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Why is this better than the first game? I liked the first but only played it a few hours. The time limits on stuff really annoyed me as I found it stressful. I wish it was just an exploration, combat and resource game and didn't have the stress of the time mechanic in regards to the trophies especially?

Is this just the same game but different skin?

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
No. I played the DQB1 demo and after about 20 minutes I was already bored out of my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.