• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
NPCs only build front blueprints iirc. Otherwise they'll help with tasks like defending and farming.

Dec 3, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Day one for me, I played hours of the demo for DQB1 when it came out, but ended up never getting the game.

I'm glad I held off cause 2 seems to take care of many rough edges the original had, now I'm ready for the plunge :)

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
A review from Gamekult.(6/10)

-No too much building this time...you can spend a lot of time without building anything.A lot of NPCs will do everything for you.
Find this a really strange point for the review to make when you can literally make larger and more detailed structures than what the first game allowed due to limits imposed back then.

Nykyrian_Q

Oct 27, 2017
This is my July game! I can wait. I played to the end of the first one before getting burned out. I've seen game play of this and I like the changes they made.

Should I play the first one before?
You don't have to. It's great, and if you can catch it on sale I recommend. Having save data from the first one does unlock extra stuff in the new game.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question here, i really like the first game, but the lack of challenge was really noticing after a couple of hours into the game. Does that game have something to spice thing a little ?

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question here, i really like the first game, but the lack of challenge was really noticing after a couple of hours into the game. Does that game have something to spice thing a little ?
Chapter 2 and up of the story mode drops you in without many resources to work with, initially, unlike chapter 1. And if you played on the PS4 version, each chapter had a built-in speedrun challenge, amongst others, that had you beat them within a certain amount of in-game days.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I loved the first one so much I'm considering getting a second Switch for coop lol.
I wish this had crossplay, this would solve that issue.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here been playing the demo? I only had time to play it on Saturday but I had a blast with it. I love that the demos have so much space to explore and discover things. Abandoned houses and locations like that with random furniture and stuff is kinda of nice to loot and take back yo my base. Tried to make a huge room connected to the one you are asked to make in the demo but there is a tile limit. I don't remember that from the first game. They've made some good improvements. I'm looking forward to the full game.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the frame rate and text size is adjusted before release... one of those seems more likely than the other... if both happen, I could see 100hrs in this game, it's great.

mothball

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mmm, the building thing sounds bad for the type of play i like actually (i like building stuff, if the villagers are completely automated in building your city, that would make me sad, but if you can choose that would be great actually). I was waiting for 2 instead of buying 1 after loving the demo, but it seems it change some things for the worse? While i would not like monsters detroying my buildings all the time, a little bit of it seems cool. The fights seem less interesting? how so?

What do people that have played both think?

Monsters that come in random raids can destroy your buildings, but whenever there's a miniboss/boss battle the town is restored to its pre-battle state afterwards so the damage isn't lasting.

The bosses seemed about just as gimmicky as they were in the first game to me. I actually quite liked the second and third chapter boss battles.

Overall, thinking about the story mode, it's better in some aspects and worse in others, but considering the post-game and how it stacks up as a building game in general, it completely blows the first game out of the water.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Monsters that come in random raids can destroy your buildings, but whenever there's a miniboss/boss battle the town is restored to its pre-battle state afterwards so the damage isn't lasting.

The bosses seemed about just as gimmicky as they were in the first game to me. I actually quite liked the second and third chapter boss battles.

Overall, thinking about the story mode, it's better in some aspects and worse in others, but considering the post-game and how it stacks up as a building game in general, it completely blows the first game out of the water.
Thats excellent to know, thanks for the info!

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
I'm very interested in picking it up but I kind of wish I had friends who were interested in trying the co-op with me. Is the co-op even that fleshed out?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if there are challenges in each area like defeat the 3 green dragons or complete the level in 3 in game days etc?

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing the demo. Story premise seems excellent. Delightful opening on the ship.

Hyped as heck.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
When the first one was announced I chuckled and said to myself nobody's gonna buy a Dragon Quest Minecraft. What a stupid idea!
Then, after getting back into DQ11 a couple of weeks ago, I tried the demo for DQB and holy shit was I sold! It's just so cute and fun. A simple and fun game. Have I missed those...
I have downloaded the new demo but didn't try it yet. Though from all the positive reactions surrounding DQB2 I'm sure I will love it. So yeah, I'm excited.

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I can't figure out what type of game this is, watched a ton of preview videos (and reviews for the original) but I don't really get what the macro gameplay is.

Can you grind in it? like spend a few hours levelling u your weapons, character etc.
Can you come up with inventive ways of doing things to complete missions or is it just collect quests?
Is the town building deep, e.g. is it almost a city building sim or is it just a basic hub?
Is it challenging? seems like the original had no penalty or death and only simple combat.

Thanks, topped up my PSN ready to pre-order, but having a hard time understanding if this will float my boat or not, I love city building sims, RPG's and minecraft so it should be a no brainer.. but, dunno, seems like I might get bored of it very quickly based on these previews.

redlentil

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, topped up my PSN ready to pre-order, but having a hard time understanding if this will float my boat or not, I love city building sims, RPG's and minecraft so it should be a no brainer.. but, dunno, seems like I might get bored of it very quickly based on these previews.

Don't expect a huge level of depth in the mechanics. I can't speak for the second game yet, but the first was much simpler than what you describe. That being said, it was incredibly charming. Think of a 2D Zelda type experience with Minecraft style building tasks instead of dungeon puzzles. It's not going to be the game you play for the next three years, but I think I put around 80 hours into the first and thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. Why not try the demos and see if they click?

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to be the game you play for the next three years, but I think I put around 80 hours into the first and thoroughly enjoyed my time with it
GF71wra.png

gigglesnort

Agreed with the other points, though.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I guess I'm excited - I just preordered the Deluxe edition on PS4 lol!! I saw there are blocks/items/furniture in the DLC packs and I MUST have allll the blocks, so why not just buy it all at once?!

This is out tomorrow night - did I miss the OT or has it not been posted yet?

I adored the first game and love both DQ and Minecraft style games so this is one of my biggest releases for 2019. 21 hours to go :)

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
1 day to go. Pre ordered and waiting patiently. Demo really sold me on the game.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon says it won't arrive until Wednesday next week. So much for Prime.

I could buy it locally and be able to play it Saturday or just wait and finish off the Assassins Creed Odyssey dlc.

Decisions decisions

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I guess I'm excited - I just preordered the Deluxe edition on PS4 lol!! I saw there are blocks/items/furniture in the DLC packs and I MUST have allll the blocks, so why not just buy it all at once?!

Wait, are these blocks part of the season pass or deluxe exclusive? I can't get them if I want it physically?

Edit:. Oh and it's PlayStation exclusive?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018

This is out tomorrow night - did I miss the OT or has it not been posted yet?

I adored the first game and love both DQ and Minecraft style games so this is one of my biggest releases for 2019. 21 hours to go :)

I was looking at the deluxe and its sort of DLC thingo to build your own and I didnt care to build in the old one so I'm not sure it its worth the $20 premium? HMmm.

does anyone with the japanese game know if the DLC packs do anything to the campaign?

Wait, are these blocks part of the season pass or deluxe exclusive? I can't get them if I want it physically?

its deluxe exclusive. you get 3 different regions to build.

• Knickknack Pack (July 26, Free) – This free pack includes three recipes so players can celebrate with some Hotto flair.
  • Hotto Stuff Pack (July 26, $5.99) – This pack includes more than 40 recipes to design and decorate structures that look similar to The Hotto Steppe, as well as an additional island to gather the new materials.
  • Aquarium Pack (Aug. 2, $9.99) – Adds a fishing island and 40 different fish that can be caught and added to an aquarium.
  • Modernist Pack (Aug. 9, $9.99) – This pack includes more than 70 different recipes to construct modern-looking structures, as well as additional hairstyles and clothing.

blocks are part of the season pass.

Oct 2, 2018
But it's PS4 exclusive? Can't find any on Switch, just the game and season pass combo.

you can get the deluxe which has the game and season pass combo.

I dont think the content is console exclusive. I do wish that they had just sold the game as a complete edition because the DLC is already finished.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
you can get the deluxe which has the game and season pass combo.

I dont think the content is console exclusive. I do wish that they had just sold the game as a complete edition because the DLC is already finished.

I can't find anything that's called "Deluxe" on the Switch store, just the normal game + season pass bundle. God is this shit confusing again.

And yeah, like you said, it's already finished too, why is it not included already?

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Actually a lot.
I wasn't even sure if I wanted to preorder it or not but for some reason I'm really looking forward to it.

I feel like I need some straightforward exploration and gathering with a bit of DQ to get ready for XI.

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I have it downloaded and ready on my Switch. Really enjoyed the first one although I never finished it. This looks to be a much better game.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
Yep super excited for it.

Knowing my luck amazon will try to deliver it on the hour o the day that I won't be home and the concierge is out for lunch

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Are there any good eShop deals for this? Like on the Slovenian store or something?

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Played the first one on Switch, really wish the framerate wasn't so garbage on Switch this time or I would have gotten it on there again. Really wished they would have paired back things more to get a stable framerate, even if it just locked to 30.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Played the first one on Switch, really wish the framerate wasn't so garbage on Switch this time or I would have gotten it on there again. Really wished they would have paired back things more to get a stable framerate, even if it just locked to 30.

Ditto! Has it been confirmed that the final version runs as bad as the demo did? That's a shame. I would have been happy with a stable 30fps.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
DQB 1 is my favourite game of this current generation and i was super excited for this one but... jesus, the framerate in the Switch demo is freaking rough, like, always sub 30.
And it's not that we can reasonably expect it to be fixed either, i guess, since the game has been out in Japan since a long time ago and nothing has been made about that.
It's really a shame, i just wanted to build stuff on my bed but it seems i have to buy the Ps4 version now.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I still stick with the Switch version.

I'm so glad and surprised that the resolution is native 1080p and 720p and it looks so good, but I hoped for at least a little bit more stable framerate. If it would be sub native res I would definitely switch to the PS4 version but the mobility factor is so good, that I stick with the great look and just accept the bad performance. Could be worse.... :/

occ86

Oct 30, 2017
Just played the demo and man, the sequel seems to be way better than the first game (which I still liked).

Really excited for tomorrow now!

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
It's preloaded - and i'm patiently waiting for tomorrow's unlock by trying to find all the hidden stuff in the demo.

Really excited to play this although no local multiplayer killed the opportunity of playing it on Ps4 with the boyfriend.

I bought it on switch so I can play on the couch while he plays on tv with the ps4.

Overall the game seems to have vastly improved on the little weaknesses of the first one, even beyond what I expected.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know there was even a deluxe edition. I didn't see it on Amazon when I pre-ordered the game. And when I checked now, it looks like it's only for Switch. Oh well, guess I can get it later if I want the extra content.

Status
Not open for further replies.