• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean exactly? Was really looking forward to it mostly because of the coop mode.
"Frustratingly missing from the first game, co-op has been put forward as a selling point for this sequel, but the reality is that this still isn't the kind of full-blown cooperative multiplayer that a lot players wanted. For starters, the story is not playable with others — it's strictly a single player experience. Hopping online with friends — there's no local co-op, just to be clear — plops you onto a separate island where you're free to build whatever you want, but there's no real exploration. It's essentially a multiplayer building mode."

It's there but it's not exactly what we wanted

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm super stoked about this game. I pre ordered it just the other day on my new PS4 Pro. Can't wait to dive in for the first time!

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
"Frustratingly missing from the first game, co-op has been put forward as a selling point for this sequel, but the reality is that this still isn't the kind of full-blown cooperative multiplayer that a lot players wanted. For starters, the story is not playable with others — it's strictly a single player experience. Hopping online with friends — there's no local co-op, just to be clear — plops you onto a separate island where you're free to build whatever you want, but there's no real exploration. It's essentially a multiplayer building mode."

It's there but it's not exactly what we wanted
Well, this means I'll be waiting on a sale.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
The weird thing about online is enemies appear in different places for every player - so I could be building something while my friend is being attacked by something I can't see

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I am very excited about this game!

Cant decide if I want to play through on the Switch or the PS4 though. I think I will likely go Switch for the portability, but PS4 for 60fps & trophies is also tempting.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
DQB1 is the best game I've played this year so far.

I'm expecting this to be my goty.

That's exactly what I wanted. I rather ex perience the story on my own accord at my own pace. Building with my friend though will be awesome.

I'm with the other guy, I think it's a BS solution that makes the multiplayer basically still non existent, for me.
I want to get people into my own survival world to show them my world and enjoy it with someone for a few hours, that's what would make it interesting. That's what will make Animal Crossing interesting and that's what makes Minecraft interesting, for me.
A random empty island that's only there for building some random things together but nothing else you can do, is as uninteresting as it could be. But maybe it's just me, I'm a survival guy, I want to show and play in my own big world, never had interest in the creative world mode of Minecraft as example. But at least some people are happy with it as it seems. For me it's a gigantic disappointment.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm with the other guy, I think it's a BS solution that makes the multiplayer basically still non existent, for me.
I want to get people into my own survival world to show them my world and enjoy it with someone for a few hours, that's what would make it interesting. That's what will make Animal Crossing interesting and that's what makes Minecraft interesting, for me.
A random empty island that's only there for building some random things together but nothing else you can do, is as uninteresting as it could be. But maybe it's just me, I'm a survival guy, I want to show and play in my own big world, never had interest in the creative world mode of Minecraft as example. But at least some people are happy with it as it seems. For me it's a gigantic disappointment.
From what importers said on reddit, pretty sure there are still events and npcs to interact with in that mode.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Did you guys make any extra structures in the demo at all or just play through the story and end it there?

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
But not what you do on the island from what the game was telling me?

Takes over a minute for the title screen to boot up after launching the game. Other than that they're not too bad. Biggest problem is it's a major battery hog and the Switch's fan goes nuts sometimes
Just started watching your review.

Had a good laugh at your character's name.

Olimar

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I downloaded the demo version for Switch on a whim last night and was pleasantly surprised at how the game plays.

Normally I'm not one for survival or crafting sims, but I think this game has the appropriate amount of linearity to keep my interest. Oftentimes, I feel like the open-world nature of these games is so open, that it becomes hard to explore the intricacies of the game on your own. For example, Minecraft has an introductory story-tutorial mode but it is very barebones. I understand that it is there to encourage you to explore on your own but the result of trying most combinations doesn't yield anything, leaving the player to feel a bit unrewarded for really going out on a limb and trying new things.

I think Dragon Quest Builders is better at using it's environment to move the player in logical increments, giving just enough of a push to ease you into the new mechanics. I see it written in most reviews so far that there tends to be so many mechanics that the game doesn't feel like it ever leaves tutorial mode, so maybe there is something to be said about it in the full game.

Either way, it has now made it's way towards the top of my list, where before playing the demo, had no place at all. I'm charmed by this weird little game.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to go in fresh, so I stopped where I couldn't save anymore. Was really tempted to mess around in it though.
Ended it there because you have to start over anyway.
You guys probably did a smart move. I explored a lot but there wasn't too much to do. Found some neat stuff at least. Only further thing I really did was raid structures for their materials and build a little beach cabana lol. I think some of the stuff I couldn't do on the island will make it still feel fresh to me. At least I hope it does.
You can carry over demo progress
It says it stops saving after a certain point when you first land on the beach. I think that is the point people are referring to when they stop.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Hmmm, skimmed the gamexplain review. 45 hours eh?

Nice!
Probably spent closer to 50 now but around 45 hours for the story
LvBKAai.png

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Probably spent closer to 50 now but around 45 hours for the story
LvBKAai.png
Any word on the framerate in the later parts of the game? It seems acceptable in the early parts and the demo, but I can imagine it dropping a lot when you build a lot of stuff.

I don't understand why they didn't go for 900p or even 720p to prioritize the framerate like the first game. Let's hope for a patch.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Any word on the framerate in the later parts of the game? It seems acceptable in the early parts and the demo, but I can imagine it dropping a lot when you build a lot of stuff.

I don't understand why they didn't go for 900p or even 720p to prioritize the framerate like the first game. Let's hope for a patch.
It's been out in Japan for some time so I don't think a patch is likely, but maybe western players will complain more.

Status
Not open for further replies.