• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoaringMdog

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Pretty pumped to pick this up tomorrow. The one thing i hated from the first game was that after each chapter you were starring all over. That's not the case with this one right? Can you just hop between the islands?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Pretty pumped to pick this up tomorrow. The one thing i hated from the first game was that after each chapter you were starring all over. That's not the case with this one right? Can you just hop between the islands?

Yes, you have a main island and just travels to other island to explore and learn, but you can go back home when you want.

lukus99

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first one, got the 2nd coming tomorrow. I was going to wait a bit but the demo sold me!

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Do you always have to have followers? I hated how close Malroth always followed you in the demo lol. It bugged me for some reason.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I just burned myself out on the first game (great game, but man it's a long one), but down the line I think I might pick this one up. Do we know if combat has been improved and, if not, if a lot of missions are combat heavy, or is there a better balance between building tasks and the action-rpg stuff? That's one of my only real complaints about that first game. I loved that it was an element, and for the most part it was fun, but so many missions one after the other involved fighting off wave after wave of monsters, and the combat wasn't strong enough to make that interesting when it's the bulk of a chapter's missions. It felt kind of tedious after a while when the game wasn't giving you much to build and wanted you to fight a bunch of stuff (especially in chapter 3).

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
My god, this game is so freaking good. I never knew what I was missing in my life.
Helping to build the first farm/village up is such a blast, I don't want to stop.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the Western version of DQB2 has the bonus where people who have save data from DQB1 can use the first protagonists' appearance? Really not a fan of 2's female hero design.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Geez, just reading these reviews...very glowing on all the main reasons people want this game (lots of QOL changes, more usage of NPC characters, rewards exploration)

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just burned myself out on the first game (great game, but man it's a long one), but down the line I think I might pick this one up. Do we know if combat has been improved and, if not, if a lot of missions are combat heavy, or is there a better balance between building tasks and the action-rpg stuff? That's one of my only real complaints about that first game. I loved that it was an element, and for the most part it was fun, but so many missions one after the other involved fighting off wave after wave of monsters, and the combat wasn't strong enough to make that interesting when it's the bulk of a chapter's missions. It felt kind of tedious after a while when the game wasn't giving you much to build and wanted you to fight a bunch of stuff (especially in chapter 3).
Main difference (outside of separate buttons between weapons and other tools) is that you don't get contact damage trying to hit your target. Makes things a lot smoother as you don't have to alternate like in DQB1 between missing hits and walking into an enemy and taking damage.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I like DQ. But I hate Minecraft style games.

What do you hate about them? Just the act of building stuff? Because what I think is appealing about Builders is that there's a traditional game structure to it. There's a story, enemies, bosses etc. Yeah, you're finding material to build stuff along the way, but it very much feels like an action adventure game with an additional building element to it. The original was one of my favorite games on 2016.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
What do you hate about them? Just the act of building stuff? Because what I think is appealing about Builders is that there's a traditional game structure to it. There's a story, enemies, bosses etc. Yeah, you're finding material to build stuff along the way, but it very much feels like an action adventure game with an additional building element to it. The original was one of my favorite games on 2016.

Building stuff. The world looks great though.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Building stuff. The world looks great though.

Give the demo a try and see what you think of it. I'm not big on building stuff either, but I found DQB to be enjoyable. And in Builders 2 the NPC's that you recruit along the way will actually build stuff for you as well, which will be good if you aren't enjoying doing that on your own.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I was planning on getting this on day one, but I'm a bit apprehensive because I've got to play at the moment. Friends also aren't interested, and I would've liked to play multiplayer.

I could be wrong but, from what I understand, multiplayer is its own building mode anyway. Is that correct? Would've been really nice to do some story mode stuff or quests with others.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they would bring this to PC.

Being able to play this on my phone via Steam Link would be the perfect compromise between performance and portability.

Mind you....I guess I could do the same with PS4.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Switch version is tempting, but I kinda want to go PS4 Pro because remote play works great from my home ps4 to my work PC where I can play during my downtime. But I'm still impressed with how well the Switch version turned out all considering. Argh, I hate having to choose.

Hmm, does PS4 version have HDR? That might help me commit to a version before midnight... lol. Going digital.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I need to play the first one still. Have it on PS4 but it kinda got shoved into the Backlog folder. (I'm getting closer to it, though...)

Also have the Builders 2 demo on my Switch. Kind of excited to try it out after skimming through this thread.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in trying it. Maybe a voucher pack for this and Fire Emblem is in order. But man, I feel like I've barely scratched Mario Maker 2. Just too many interesting games right now.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I couldn't decide between PS4 or Switch so I flipped a coin. Fate (Google) decided I'd play on PS4.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I'm grabbing this on Switch. Made the decision. I'm almost always OK with minor performance issues if it means I can play it anywhere. There are a few exceptions to this (MK11 comes to mind), but the portability is going to be aces.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm interested in trying it. Maybe a voucher pack for this and Fire Emblem is in order. But man, I feel like I've barely scratched Mario Maker 2. Just too many interesting games right now.
Exactly the same thoughts and situation as me. I bought it though, so I really think you should too.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it mind, but it looks really fun! 💜
The footage in the OP looks like something that would click with me. I think I was sold when I saw that there is rain in the game and Harvest Moon-like farming. Atmosphereeeeee!

But man, it's all about headspace these days. I feel crushed by the onslaught of games. Which is admittedly awesome. But also stressful!

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
I went with the PS4 version. Side by side the switch demo docked and portable is too choppy compared to the PS4. Direct remote play to my Vita works great too.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Yup yup, sold on the co-op aspect alone. I really like all the QoL changes as well.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I went with the PS4 version. Side by side the switch demo docked and portable is too choppy compared to the PS4. Direct remote play to my Vita works great too.
I'm facepalming myself for forgetting A) Remote play on the Vita and B) The fact that I have one

Would have made my decision on which version to get easier

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm downloading the Switch demo as we speak. If it doesn't make me claw my eyes out, I think I'll forgo a stable 60fps of the PS4 version just because I prefer playing on the Switch in general and I'm trying to move as much of my library there as possible, lol.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Did Sony pay for exclusive advertising rights or something? The DQ twitter only mentions the PS4, the trailer at SE'a E3 only mentioned PS4, and the only commercials I've seen pop up have said PS4.

Anyway, I'm also struggling to find Switch reviews - Kotaku and GameXplain both said it was good with some performance issues later but nothing game breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.