• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I tried booting up GoW4 and for the first time ever while playing a game I felt noticeably motion sick.

I'm trying to pinpoint what exactly this was - it's running locked 60, 1080p, Ultra settings, motion blur turned off.

Any ideas about what it could be about this game? I played a bit of horde mode at launch and never noticed this, but this is the first time I tried the campaign.

DrSnap

Apr 26, 2018
For me its when the characters rush, and the camera gets wibbly-wobbly-like. Everytime i need to turn it off. It has always been like this for me in the Gears games though.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I tried booting up GoW4 and for the first time ever while playing a game I felt noticeably motion sick.

I'm trying to pinpoint what exactly this was - it's running locked 60, 1080p, Ultra settings, motion blur turned off.

Any ideas about what it could be about this game? I played a bit of horde mode at launch and never noticed this, but this is the first time I tried the campaign.
It's probably the 60fps. It can look weird and cause issues. One of the reasons games are better at 30 fps.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
60fps with the camera wobble is a little jaring for me. At 30 I don't feel anything, but I suppose you can get used too it after extended sickness =P

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Not here and I get motion sickness easily. Couldn't play the new doom game at all.

Varixio

Oct 27, 2017
Not Gears of War for me but the two recent Wolfenstein games are awful for me. Couldn't get through the first hour on the first one and have to stop every 10 minutes on the second one.

I have a feeling it's just the head wobbling. Wish there was an option to turn it off, or else I'm never going to finish that game.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably the 60fps. It can look weird and cause issues. One of the reasons games are better at 30 fps.
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps it's the way the chase camera combines with the movement. Would be interesting to see third-person action games and their cameras analyzed somewhere.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Once I got a bit nauseous playing one of the Gears game because I was mashing run (just to be stupid). I'm pretty sure it was the FOV change that happens when you run.

Feb 10, 2018
Never noticed this with gears 4, i have been playing at 30fps though.
Last time a game did this to me was rage on 360.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Are people serious with the 60fps? The camera shake is factually more shaky at 30fps...

OP, try playing it at 30fps and if you feel even worse, you know it's the camera shake.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I would definitely assume it's the camera shake during the run. I've always found that disorienting.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone can be affected by any number of factotum d combinations of factors, but have you made sure that TV input is in game mode with all image enhancements off? You can at least eliminate that.

My trigger is >30fps but <60 while watching others play first person games. If I'm playing then no issue. But watching that over someone's shoulder is barftime for me. Not much else gives me motion sickness.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Battlefield Bad Company and 2 single player used to make me feel completely nauseous.. I think it was a combination of the super low FOV and the framerate. Felt like death after about 15+ minutes.... MP was fine though.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I didn't like the 60FPS mode of the game, for some reason it just made my eyes blurry and confused after some time. Had to switch back to 30FPS.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I don't really get motion sickness, but I have a hard time with games with frame drops and pacing issues, whether 60 or 30.

Perhaps try locking to 30.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Just jumped on the $4 CDKeys deal, and I came across this thread looking for a solution to the camera shake. It makes both me and especially a friend of mine feel especially nauseous.

It's weird, since I never had this problem with the games on the 360; maybe it's just because I was younger when I played those.

It's also weird that the accessibility options have a color blind mode and nothing to accommodate for motion sickness.

I really hope The Coalition allows people to disable it in Gears 5.