• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The time has finally come where me and my wife both have jobs, and that they actually overlap... meaning we can no longer get away with having a single vehicle. I'd like to go out and get a new electric vehicle, but that's absolutely a pipe dream with our currently salaries... so unless I want to get an electric motorcycle (which you can buy new relatively cheaply) which I don't, my only other options for fully electric are used.

Specifically, I was looking at a late 10's (2016-19) Nissan Leaf. In a perfect battery world, it would cover the distance to and from my job 2-3 times over on a single charge, but in the land of used batteries I start to get a bit worried. Nissan has their batteries on warranty for 8 years and 100,000k miles, but that would only put something like the 2016 in warranty for 3 years at most on a 4-5 year loan, and replacements can be multiple thousands (and by the time it would need replacing, the vehicle itself would likely be worth less than the price of the battery).

That said, it would also not be a heavily used vehicle and likely only used for commuting, so a 'failure' on the battery would still be more than good enough if the range deteriorated by half or even slightly more.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So I'm sure there's more experienced users on here, and even Leaf owners, that can give you better advice. But I would recommend looking at a used Chevy Bolt if you can swing it. Depending on where you live, like the climate if you see extremes, Nissan caught a ton of flack for not having a proper battery temperature management system in the Leafs causing serious early degradation. That's part of the reason the used prices are so low the range is already seriously dropped . You wouldn't have such issues to worry about with a Bolt. Chevy is offering like insane discounts(I think like $10k) off new ones, so perhaps you could find a deal on a lease, or I'm sure that caused the used prices to collapse some. Obviously do some research and take other advice that's just my 2 cents, but if half range of a Leaf is good enough then perhaps it would work as I believe a warranty replacement kick in somewhere before 50% life remaining or so but probably should find out exact number. Also just remember cold weather uses more energy to heat car etc so climate also matters when calculating how much range you need, expect to get 20 to 30% less range when its below freezing for example