• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long story short my Malamute has a thing about peeing inside when I'm away for long periods. I happened to be away for a week and she ended up peeing on a carpet and it soaked into and stained the wood floor underneath. Needless to say I want to remedy the situation without having to bring someone else in.

I've read about some home remedies like mixing white vinegar with water and letting it soak in the stained area before cleaning. Many people seem to attest to this one.

There is also this product from a company that specializes in dog urine removal which seems to have some good reviews and seems more extensive than the simple vinegar solution method even including a black light to find stains (which I don't really need).

So what say you Era, how did you deal with the issue of dog urine staining your wood floors?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the issue that the urine damaged the stain?

If that's the case would any of this cleaner stuff even work?

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
You could get the dog to pee on the rest of the floor so that everything matches!

I have seen similar stain removal products at pet stores but can't attest to how well they work.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Sand and refinish. If it's too deep in the wood, though, you may be out of luck.

I know from unfortunate experience.

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried rubbing in baking soda? It might absorb the smell. Cover the area in it and leave it there for a day or two.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
Idk how it does for the wood floors, because I'm too scared to pull up my carpet, but on fresher(still wet), covering it with baking soda and letting it sit for a few hours, then using a carpet scrubber has helped me with the urine stink.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to try the vinegar and baking soda methods first then depending on the results I may try one of the more well reviewed urine removal products. Last resort is sanding and restaining.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the issue is that the stain stands out, right? So maybe get more dog urine on the floor, so that it all has the same discoloration?

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't hydrogen peroxide supposed to help with that? Regardless. I'm thinking you'll need to sand and refinish.
Think I tried this. We didnt know the puppy had peed on a rug under the dining table. We moved the table and rug and found a stain in the wood under. Think we had read to leave a Hydrogen Peroxide soaked rag over the stain for a bit, and to just maybe pour some on the stain itself too. Think it maybe helped a little but the wood is still just a real dark brownish/black.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Sand or if it's bad replace the wood.

Usually sand and refinish lightens it enough to be ok

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to try the vinegar and baking soda methods first then depending on the results I may try one of the more well reviewed urine removal products. Last resort is sanding and restaining.
Did you have any luck? I just tore up carpet in my office because I couldn't get the smell out, and there are 4 urine stains from my dog. It's almost 60 year old floor, so I'm going to sand it and refinish, but I don't know if the smell will come out.

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
Clean it up as best as you can.
Then mix white vinegar with water and spray it on the area with a spray bottle.
Let it sit for about 30 minutes then wipe it up.

THEN spray Natures Miracle (red bottle) on it and wipe it up.

81qZ9VmM54L._SL1500_.jpg

Edit: oh you basically said all this already.
I will say, I have a Yorkie and he would NOT stop peeing in this certain spot for about a year (hes a real shithead).
This is the method I used to finally get him to stop peeing there. And whenever there is a small accident (never happens anymore) anywhere else in the house I use the same method. It works wonders.