• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Impetuous Imp

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Met online, started as friends, finally met in person with a group of other friends and started dating a few weeks later. It was long-distance, about 250 miles apart. Most of our contact was through phone or online - as time went on we'd see each other on weekends more often. Stayed long distance for 3 years until we got married and I moved out to be with him. Been over 20 years now.

You have to be committed - honesty is really important. If both people aren't on the same page it's a complete no-go. Too easy to lie and hide things. You could conceivably live a completely separate life and your partner would have no idea. Trust is essential for the same reasons. It's the perfect set up for someone to be either too controlling and possessive, or to just not commit the same way they would for a regular relationship. If you don't have good relationship and communication skills going into it, you damn well better develop them because everything will get amplified.

I don't think it's for everyone. Some people need to have that physical contact/reassurance on a more regular basis. We actually found that we'd tend to get into minor arguments every Thursday after seeing each other the previous weekend. It sort of became a joke, but we could definitely feel the strain of distance and seeing each other then going home could amplify that strain a lot.

My relationship started in the 90s - way before cell phones/video-chat and the like were a thing. I think it might be easier now. Our long distance landline phone bills were absurd.

You do get to know each other VERY well, since most of your time is spent talking and not doing things. We took a premarital counseling test before we got married - answered identically on all but one question, which meant we'd talked about pretty much every life/marriage circumstance we could think of prior to getting married. If you can manage it, I think it actually sets you up to be far more prepared for a life together - I've known lots of people who spent tons of time together before getting married and ended up confronting issues in their marriage that my husband and I had discussed and worked out long before the ring was on my finger, but these couples were more busy going out to movies, parties, etc. and never really sat down and talked about serious future stuff.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Let me clarify: I meant a romantic relationship.
For said girl these relationship can be romantic as well, just because they arent from your perspective doesnt mean it cant be in hers.

You wouldnt believe what people manage to have as romantic relationships.

Online romantic relationships work, they can be great when both parties are ok with its conditions. Most importantly trust and honesty are huge factors, just like in any relationship — online or offline.

I have been in an romantic online relationship for good 4-5 years before we moved together and of course its tough, but to say an online relationship never can work out despite many married couples proving otherwise is honestly ridiculous.

It didnt work out for you, maybe you are not the type for it or your gf was not. Dont blame it on online relationships in general but on whatever caused ypur experience with it to break.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Yes, when I was a teenager and was new to the Internet. Back when chatrooms were a thing and it wasn't abnormal (I honestly don't know how normal it is these days for younger generations, but I haven't heard anyone speak about such a thing for some time. Maybe it's just my age). It was okay then, but now I'd hate it. I'm sure.

Oct 29, 2017
For said girl these relationship can be romantic as well, just because they arent from your perspective doesnt mean it cant be in hers.

You wouldnt believe what people manage to have as romantic relationships.

Online romantic relationships work, they can be great when both parties are ok with its conditions. Most importantly trust and honesty are huge factors, just like in any relationship — online or offline.

I have been in an romantic online relationship for good 4-5 years before we moved together and of course its tough, but to say an online relationship never can work out despite many married couples proving otherwise is honestly ridiculous.

It didnt work out for you, maybe you are not the type for it or your gf was not. Dont blame it on online relationships in general but on whatever caused ypur experience with it to break.

You were strictly online only in your relationship for 4-5 years? Or were you long distance and would occasionally meet? I ask because those are two very different things.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. I dont think Im going to convince you and you sure aren't going to convince me. All I will say is if its purely online only, you never meet this person or see them then by my metric (and probably the majority of the population) that is not a romantic relationship.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
You were strictly online only in your relationship for 4-5 years? Or were you long distance and would occasionally meet? I ask because those are two very different things.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. I dont think Im going to convince you and you sure aren't going to convince me. All I will say is if its purely online only, you never meet this person or see them then by my metric (and probably the majority of the population) that is not a romantic relationship.
First year was chats only. PMs back then and icq/msn. After ~1 year we met up in person. And prior to that it was already romantic. A romantic relationship is not limited to physical contact. A romantic relationship does not require sex.

Why would a romantic relationship not work online? Many online relationships are by far more romantic than most relationships that blossom from party meet ups.

We were teens and couldnt afford to see each other often so we visited each other maximum twice a year, if at all. 95% of our interaction was online. We also had quite the distance between us.

After 5 years we turned from online to offline as he moved in with me. So yeah, most of the time was online only, and it was a great time. I wouldnt trade it for the world. I wouldnt want to meet someone in any other way than online. This way you get to know the person, and not the facade.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I've been in a few, mostly casual. My latest online relationship is turning into a marriage, after living together for a year and a half.

After we had met IRL a few times I was surprised at how annoyed I was to have to go back to steamchat and discord for daily flirting. But I didn't have a whole lot tying me to where I was, so I donated a bunch of stuff and threw out even more and moved what was left over. I think that kind if commitment of someone eventually needing to basically uproot themselves contributes to a lot of ldr failures.

Yep. Without a solid, tangible end goal in sight.... your relationship will die. But that's the same for any relationship, it's just way more pronounced and obvious for online ones.

Me and my current significant other are in a long distance relationship. We met online and became friends, and we've been dating for two and a half years. We've met in real life too, but both of us are going through college right now. End goal is to hopefully move in together.

Good luck!

Not the person you asked, but my husband and I were friends, but online only, for three years. Then, we became long distance for the next three years, seeing each other for a weekend every other month. We got engaged during that time, and afterwards we moved in together.

It was romantic (to me) far before we ever met in real life. If I wasn't in love with him, we never would have met at all, but I desperately wanted to see him and flew over 1,000 miles to do so. Other people can think it wasn't a "real" relationship, but I disagree. We talked for four, five, sometimes eight hours, every single day, for the first six years. By the end of three years, though I never met him, I knew him more intimately than someone who dated someone "in real life" for three months.

Being online forces you to actually have a real, personal connection with someone, and not just rely on their looks. It's true that sometimes people just don't click, even if they find each other attractive, so I always encourage meeting ASAP if you can, but that doesn't mean it's not romantic just because they haven't met.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I met my current girlfriend on Tinder about 3 years ago now. We only talked online for quite awhile before meeting each other in real life. It turned out pretty well for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Met playing OG destiny. Dated for a year making one or two visits a month (2 hours away). Moved in. Now we're about to get married and we have a baby boy.

It went pretty well Id say. It was our... destiny. 🥴

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Broke up with my last gf because She was going away for six months. No way I'm putting myself in that fire. I will never understand long distance relationships, cannot work for me. Especially if It starts before even a phisical encounter. It's One thing to meet someone online, set up a few dates and if theres chemistry build up a relationship, but doing it before having seen each other IRL always sounded desperate and juvenile to me.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Oh that's interesting. I've never heard of that occurring through Tinder of all things. How long were you in a relationship before you met? How far did you have Tinder searching?

I dunno, a couple months I think. So not that long compared to some people. She was also in a neighboring state to mine but ended up moving closer to where I live for school.

And do you mean like the mile radius? I don't remember exactly but I had it set pretty wide as I sort of got a kick out of matching with random people and talking to them at the time.

I wasn't really ever expecting to meet someone from tinder in real life but I remember clicking with my girlfriend pretty naturally and instantaneously when we matched.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Once, it came out of loneliness more than love though. I think looking back I wouldn't do it again, and it just sort of fizzled out. The face to face is pretty important to me now.

Nov 17, 2017
I dunno, a couple months I think. So not that long compared to some people. She was also in a neighboring state to mine but ended up moving closer to where I live for school.

And do you mean like the mile radius? I don't remember exactly but I had it set pretty wide as I sort of got a kick out of matching with random people and talking to them at the time.

I wasn't really ever expecting to meet someone from tinder in real life but I remember clicking with my girlfriend pretty naturally and instantaneously when we matched.
Yeah I was talking mile radius. It was interesting to me because I never heard of anyone using Tinder with such a wide radius. Even 10 miles was too much for me but most people I knew who used it kept within 5 miles. In my experience, Tinder was always a more local app suited for quicker meetups so I was confused when you said you started an online relationship on it. But hey, if it works it works!

Oct 27, 2017
When I was 15 I got into this really fucked up weird relationship with a 30 year old woman who posted on the same forum. It ALMOST progressed to us meeting, and I'm incredibly thankful it did not.

It's crazy, I'm her age now and just the whole thing makes me feel kind of sick.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't want to go in on to deep on my own personal experience, though personally, I'll say that we were cross-continent (US / Europe), were friends for six years before that, and did visit each other once before the full move. If you can make it work, it's worth it. It takes a lot of effort, a lot of commitment and quite a bit of self-sacrifice from both parties, especially once you start having to factor in relocation. But if it's feasible to pull it off then that's just a testament to the strength of your relationship.

Having said that, I don't think I'd have it in me to attempt another one again if the opportunity ever arose. I know the circumstances of my own experience took a lot out of me, but it was still something I remember cherishing more than anything else.

This was my exact experience as well, though I met her pretty much immediately after meeting online, we did long distance for like three or four years. We were in love, and that made a long distance relationship hell on earth. We made it through and are now happily married, but there is no chance I'd ever do it again. It's not worth the pain and risk.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Hi let me tell a story about how I met my husband lmao. Jk I am not going to tell the whole story, but I met him online and we were together for about a year online-only before we met up. I lived in the US at the time and he lives in Belgium (where, spoiler alert, I now also live). We talked loads and were into the same music, decided to try it out IRL-style by meeting up at Roadburn (a music festival). If we hit it off, cool, if we didn't, also cool. We got along and could still be friends. Long story short, we hit it off and fourish years later we are married and living together.

It is very possible, it's just also a lot of work. Feel free to PM me any time if you want advice or anything. It just takes a lot of trust, a lot of patience, and a lot of sexting lmao.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
OP: your situation is pretty good because he's your best friend, so you already know each other from offline very well.

Of course you should go for it. But have a plan to be together quickly, definitely before a year is out, and preferably before 6 months.

Donizetty

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Mexico
I was in one when msn messenger was a novelty.

It were just text and draws relationship, no webcam no mic. It was weird but it was fun. I always got afraid to be talking with a another person instead of the girl who she was supose to be but we were happy just texting us a lot. I mean, by don't know how the other person is in the other side of the monitor made the feelings more pure. Our relationship lasted 6 months or so but the breakout was fine and no anyone suffered. Years after that I meet her at real life, in person herself and she was a cute and fun real girl, haha.

Even so I prefer 1,000 time a real relationship because the physical contact with love is in another level of pleasure