• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Between some of the Arcade1up machines that have been coming out and some of the Black Friday sales that'll be happening with certain Arcade1up machines I'm coming really close to pulling the trigger on one. I remember hearing mixed things about the quality of the emulation and the buttons in some of the early machines but it seems like some of that stuff may have improved? Hopefully some owners can shed light on this.

So the machines that I'm really looking at are the TMNT unit, the Marvel unit with Sanwa parts and one of the Head to Head cocktail units. The TMNT one is easily the one I want most because of the attachment I have to those games, then the Head to Head unit but I'll probably prioritize the Marvel unit above it due to the potential limited availability. Obviously these purchases will be spaced out as they're pretty significant investments and I probably won't be able to actually justify buying all of them but those are the main units I'm looking at.

So with the Head to Head cocktail units, I'm currently undecided which one I want. Out of the 4 units I like the look of all of them except the SF2 Champion Edition style Head to Head unit. I prefer the games & control panels of the Capcom Head to Head units but the black Pac Man Head to Head unit looks awesome. Having said that, I actually contacted Arcade1up about if they'll be selling replacement parts for all of the cocktail units (with the thinking that I could just buy one of the Capcom units and somewhere down the line replace the table top portion with the black Pac Man table top) and they said replacement parts for those units will be available on their site but they don't have an exact date as to when that will be the case.

What machines are you interested in? Also, it sounds like converting these machines to MAME machines is a pretty easy process. So what's the modding scene like for these machines? Any recommended mods?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I fell down this YouTube rabbit hole last week and was really close to pulling the trigger on one and modding it with a Retropie and Sanwa buttons but decided against it.

ETA Prime on Youtube has a lot of helpful videos on how to mod these cabs and from the looks of everything it seems pretty straight forward.

themadswagger

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm still keeping my hopes up for A Ms. Pac Man cabinet, but the AtGames situation might make that less likely now.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
My dream cabinet would be a Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr./Mario Bros. cabinet either from Arcade1Up or another trusted company, but with how stingy Nintendo is with licensing that probably ain't gonna happen.

That being said, when the wife and I move into a house I'll buy at least one of these for shits/giggles. I'm leaning towards TMNT but I'll probably go with something that has a larger selection of games and is more replayable.

Last edited:

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
We just got and put together the MSH/XMen:COTA/Punisher cab over the long weekend and are enjoying the hell out of it. The build was pretty easy, took two of us around 45 minutes to bash it together.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how the head to head units work, I guess the emulator has been modified to have the split screen like that?

OP
OP
thepenguin55

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I fell down this YouTube rabbit hole last week and was really close to pulling the trigger on one and modding it with a Retropie and Sanwa buttons but decided against it.

ETA Prime on Youtube has a lot of helpful videos on how to mod these cabs and from the looks of everything it seems pretty straight forward.

I'll have to check out their videos. From what I've read it seems like it's stupid easy to through a Retropi in there. Also, maybe this has changed with their more recent models but I want to say that replacing the sticks on Arcade1up machines is easy but replacing the buttons is a bit more involved? I want to say it had something to do with the size of the buttons maybe?
I'm still keeping my hopes up for A Ms. Pac Man cabinet, but the AtGames situation might make that less likely now.

Yeah, the whole Ms. Pac Man situation seems totally wild and the fact that AtGames is at the center of it is ridiculous.
We just got and put together the MSH/XMen:COTA/Punisher cab over the long weekend and are enjoying the hell out of it. The build was pretty easy, took two of us around 45 minutes to bash it together.

Does it feel pretty sturdy? Which version of the Marvel machine did you get? The version with Sanwa parts or the version without?
I wonder how the head to head units work, I guess the emulator has been modified to have the split screen like that?

Yeah I wonder about that too. I haven't been around a ton of cocktail units in my life but Arcade1up's cocktail units basically look like regular cocktail units unlike how their stand up units are scaled down versions of regular arcade machines. The split screen stuff is really cool. I wonder if that could work with a retropi?

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Tempted to grab the Star Wars one with all 3 of the old arcade games. Would love to play them again with a yoke.

Oct 30, 2017
Use brickseek to find cheap $75 units at Walmart. The first gen units, rampage, street fighter 2, and asteroids are usually on the list.

There are alot of third parties that can create custom replacement decks and skins for the cabinets.

ETA prime's video is great at walking through the retropi setup. That's what I used.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Punisher and MSH on mine since the weekend. Feels great, really sturdy, sanwa parts are sanwa parts. The sticks are a bit loose for my liking, but that's just my preference and because I play on different types of sticks.

I'm really interested in modding it, but looking stuff up, seemed beyond my technical expertise.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I have the Mortal Kombat unit pre-ordered at my local EB Games, I'm just waiting for them to get it in.

I'm not sure how much I'll actually end up playing it, but it's something I would've absolutely killed for as a kid, so I'm doing something stupid with my money.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I played on the SF2 one in a store and I must say the stick isn't adequate. I was playing against some stranger who claimed to play it a lot in the arcades as a kid (and he had the skills to show it) and he too didn't like the stick.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Not to be that guy, but if you're interested in a project/modding one of the 1Up machines, you should consider looking for local arcade cabs that are basically being given away. I refurbed a candy cab, and the project was very satisfying. Wooden cabs can be found pretty easily and are generally inexpensive. (They are sort of like a piano, in that people want them until they don't.) So if you're willing to pick them up, often people are eager for you to get them off their hands.

Regardless of which approach one decides to take, I love seeing the arcade cab scene alive and well!

OP
OP
thepenguin55

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I have the Mortal Kombat unit pre-ordered at my local EB Games, I'm just waiting for them to get it in.

I'm not sure how much I'll actually end up playing it, but it's something I would've absolutely killed for as a kid, so I'm doing something stupid with my money.

I've always clashed with the MK arcade button layout. It's just something I was never able to completely get my head around for whatever reason. Always loved the giant Raiden on the side of the MK2 machine though.
I played on the SF2 one in a store and I must say the stick isn't adequate. I was playing against some stranger who claimed to play it a lot in the arcades as a kid (and he had the skills to show it) and he too didn't like the stick.

I want to say the most issues I've heard about these machines was with the SF2 & MK machines. Apparently the emulation isn't the best and the stick + buttons aren't the best quality. Seems like they've quickly improved since then.
Not to be that guy, but if you're interested in a project/modding one of the 1Up machines, you should consider looking for local arcade cabs that are basically being given away. I refurbed a candy cab, and the project was very satisfying. Wooden cabs can be found pretty easily and are generally inexpensive. (They are sort of like a piano, in that people want them until they don't.) So if you're willing to pick them up, often people are eager for you to get them off their hands.

Regardless of which approach one decides to take, I love seeing the arcade cab scene alive and well!

Yeah, a candy cab is potentially appealing to me but otherwise the size/form factor of Arcade1up's machines is a big part of the appeal for me.
Tempted to grab the Star Wars one with all 3 of the old arcade games. Would love to play them again with a yoke.

Yeah, that's a cool machine! Darkknight has a great thread on it: https://www.resetera.com/threads/star-wars-arcade1up-impressions.151117/
Use brickseek to find cheap $75 units at Walmart. The first gen units, rampage, street fighter 2, and asteroids are usually on the list.

There are alot of third parties that can create custom replacement decks and skins for the cabinets.

ETA prime's video is great at walking through the retropi setup. That's what I used.

Good to know, I'll check that out.

EDIT: wow they have many of these machines for great prices

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I've always clashed with the MK arcade button layout. It's just something I was never able to completely get my head around for whatever reason. Always loved the giant Raiden on the side of the MK2 machine though.

Yeah, I'm 90% buying it just for that stupid Raiden illustration. :)

Somewhat related - how exactly do the screens work on these? Are they constantly-on with an attract mode, or do you turn it off and on?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Somewhat related - how exactly do the screens work on these? Are they constantly-on with an attract mode, or do you turn it off and on?

Turn it on and off. You can select a game and let it run the attract mode, tho. I do sometimes just for the nostalgia.

Nov 23, 2017
I modded a SF II cab for RetroPie purposes and it's awesome. I got 18,000 games running on one machine. Definitely check out ETA Prime's vids if you can.

I also bought an Xtension Alpha Cade and LOVE the quality on those. I hooked that up to JAMMA so I can play authentic arcade PCBs.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Are the default buttons the American clicky HAPP style?

This isn't me looking smug at those, I actually prefer the feedback instead of the Sanwa parts I nodded my SF4 joystick with years ago

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
Kind of interested in the TMNT one but would give my right toe for the 90's gauntlet one that got a release on N64 mash that with NBA Jam and I would be in heaven

Corey

Apr 9, 2018
Upstate, NY
I own the Pac-Man cabinet and honestly the only other one I can think of that I'd want is either Tetris, or Donkey Kong. And seeing it as Nintendo probably won't ever let them do Donkey Kong, I guess I'm holding out for Tetris.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS

That can be a tough task depending on where you are located. Finding a candy cab in New England is basically impossible and all the barcades that are popping up seem to be hoarding the desirable machines. That being said if anyone knows a decently priced MVS in the area let me know!

OP
OP
thepenguin55

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

I've almost done that but with the Galaga machine. Galaga's a fine game though not one of my favorites but the Galaga art is SO good!

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
If you can find one of the $75 clearance Walmart cabs do it for sure, or do the return re-buy thing. My Friend has all of them except the Starwars and the cocktail table units and they all are really cool.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Does it feel pretty sturdy? Which version of the Marvel machine did you get? The version with Sanwa parts or the version without?

It's decently sturdy, not gonna win any awards but it doesn't feel like it'll collapse underneath you. We got the non-Sanwa version. Sticks are ok, buttons are ok.

OP
OP
thepenguin55

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I modded a SF II cab for RetroPie purposes and it's awesome. I got 18,000 games running on one machine. Definitely check out ETA Prime's vids if you can.

I also bought an Xtension Alpha Cade and LOVE the quality on those. I hooked that up to JAMMA so I can play authentic arcade PCBs.

I'm sure the process would be much more involved but I would imagine that there would have to be a way to slap actually arcade boards into these, right? I thought about getting the SF2 machine and putting Hyper Street Fighter 2 in there.
I've heard rumors they are working on a 4 player NBA jam

That would be cool. I was always more of an NFL Blitz guy but that's never gonna happen! lol. They could put NBA Jam, NBA Jam TE and NBA Hangtime in there and that would be a great machine!
If we're talking dream releases, if they were to release a six-player X-Men cabinet I'd probably be down in a heartbeat.

And it would probably be a licensing nightmare for them but if you packed it with Sega's Spider Man and Data East's Captain America & The Avengers that would be a great machine!
That can be a tough task depending on where you are located. Finding a candy cab in New England is basically impossible and all the barcades that are popping up seem to be hoarding the desirable machines. That being said if anyone knows a decently priced MVS in the area let me know!

Absolutely. I've never purchased an arcade machine of any kind but it's something I've researched a lot over the past decade or so and as soon as barcades started showing up in my area machines for sale not only became extremely scarce but when I do find machines for sale the prices for many games have since doubled compared to what they were.

Nov 23, 2017
I'm sure the process would be much more involved but I would imagine that there would have to be a way to slap actually arcade boards into these, right? I thought about getting the SF2 machine and putting Hyper Street Fighter 2 in there.

Yeah, you'd have to get all new buttons, wire those to whatever standard fits your board like JAMMA, then you'd have to convert whatever video output the board has to something that fits the Arcade1up monitor. It's not impossible but would require more parts and money. That's not counting wiring up the Power supply too.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting on a shmup unit with a vertical screen to make my vertical cab (2 players system so that disqualifies the Pac-Man one)

OP
OP
thepenguin55

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any videos out there that demonstrates how to install a Raspberry Pi 4 in one of these? Is a Raspberry Pi 4 even a good way to go? lol

OP
OP
thepenguin55

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So I pulled the trigger on the TMNT machine. Unfortunately there seems to be an issue with the P2 stick. I can't move Michelangelo straight down when I press down on the stick. I'm thinking I might just reach out to Arcade1up in hopes they could just send me a new control panel unless this is a known issue that someone has a fix for?

EDIT: The stick magically decided to start working properly which is odd.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Had a go on a Space Invaders machine in my local toy shop and was pleasantly surprised. Was responsive enough that I managed to clear 3 screens on my first go. Overall build quality seemed good too for the £300 it was selling for, and it was compact enough that I could store it in a kid's bedroom (lucky them!). Few questions before I get in trouble with the wife:

What stick and buttons is this using? Website only says "arcade quality". How easy is it to swap parts if/once they break? Any long-term impressions on durability would also be appreciated.

Edit: just watched ETA Prime's video about Pi conversions, answers a lot of questions.

Last edited: