• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 5, 2018
It's initial release seemed like a PR stunt to me, pushing a square peg into a circular hole that is the gaming industry, while not something I myself could ever of used there was definitely some interest with the platform which quickly tried to become a thing, but between the internet infrastructure not really being there to make it viable, a fairly limited amount of games actually being available and one of the worst business models available just to play something it's not surprising to see well nothing anymore.

(Side note, I remember the adds at the game awards for it being so obnoxious, like the freeloader showing up to the family gathering in parenthood.)

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It launched less than two and a half years ago, why are you talking about it like ancient history

The real question is Anyone remember OnLive?

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
i dont, what is it?

i never got a chance to actually test it which is sad, but honestly i can see google investing in it again in a couple of years

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
What's a Stadia?

No but in all seriousness, I'm still kind of impressed at just how badly they butchered the launch of the service, failed to get a lot of games from the major publishers and then just as quickly noped out from making first party games...

nadeem

Sep 26, 2020
My friends and I have a betting pool going over when Google will officially retire Stadia. I've got this August, but a friend has it pegged as far out as May 2023.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Nope.

This thread got me to go check out what the newest games announced for it were:

Yep. Nope.

It's still a bunch of re-heated b-list 7/10 fodder. Like it has been basically from day one. Stadia has to have the one of the most uninspired and unimpressive line-ups in gaming platform history.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I'm someone who actually is excited by the potential of cloud gaming, frequently uses xCloud, and has used Stadia to some extent in the past. The technology for the most part is great, and when a game is well optimized, the latency really is not a problem imo. Stadia at launch proved to me that cloud gaming can and will become a big piece of the pie.

Unfortunately, Google bungled basically every step after that - launched half baked in terms of features, weak catalog with no noteworthy exclusives and a bunch of old games everyone had played at full price, locked the service behind the subscription for the first few months, sub-par game performance in terms of res/fps/graphics for the most part, shut down first party studios, etc. etc.

At this point, Stadia is a shell of what it was, and the fact that 2020, which was pretty weak in terms of releases compared to other platforms, is by far Stadia's best year is a sad position. This year in particular has been terrible and there hasn't been a game I wanted to play on the platform since Wavetale came to it exclusively last November.

I still pay some attention to the goings on, but for the most part it is an irrelevant platform for me these days, which is sad because I still think it had a lot of potential.

Also, just to illustrate my point, one of the big themes with Stadia in recent times is sequels not showing up the following year, or games from devs/pubs that already supported the platform in the past.

f1 2020 - no f1 2021 or f1 2022
nba 2k21 - no nba 2k22
no moto gp 22
no Sniper Elite 5
no Tiny Tina's Wonderlands
no Elden Ring
no Grid Legends
etc.

The list goes on and on, and with each subsequent miss the platform goes further into obscurity. I think the final blows will be Fifa/Madden not coming back this year.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
The tech is by far the best I've ever used, feels like straight up borderline native in terms of latency when it's working perfectly

The issue, like with all streaming, is visual compression and traffic hiccups. I love the concept of streaming a lot but the experience just isn't there yet. Stadia is the strongest attempt thus far, and I think something will hit that high native-like mark in our lifetimes.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia technology is great, everything else about it was a complete failure.

Good thing it looks like Google may be planning to leverage that tech for other platforms.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
i-don%27t-know-her.-mariah-carey.gif

Deleted member 98695

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 15, 2021
Stadia was basically doomed from the start given Phil Harrison's bad leadership and Google's strategy of folding every time something is not an instant success. I cannot understand how they thought paying companies to port games that released several years ago was going to draw people into Stadia. Additionally, their servers are underpowered relative to the PS5 and Xbox Series X, so they offered no clear value proposition to consumers that were not immediately interested in playing games on any screen. Moreover, Stadia started off tied to the Chromecast hardware, which meant it did not even offer any noticeable advantages over local hardware for your average consumer who already had a console or PC. Unlike Geforce Now's 3080 tier, The benefits are not clear to people who never experienced cloud gaming.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I will always remember the negative latency bullshit, can't believe they had the balls to say that ah ah ah

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
It's honestly incredibly impressive and you can try it now in your next browser tab and be playing a PC game in less than 60 seconds. Like whether or not you find Destiny 2 fun or interesting you can sign up for the trial and just be playing it quicker than it took me to write this post from pretty much any machine from the past 15 years that has Chrome.

If they could get games people cared about it, it would probably be less than the butt end of a joke.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The people still making games for it due to contractual reasons sure do.

Deleted member 98695

Banned
Jun 15, 2021
I always remember it as the platform that made so many people vocally upset that it exists or had games on it.
One thing I will never understand is why people become angry when companies make products that are not made for them. Its not like cloud gaming would make it impossible for people to buy physical or digital games. Movie streaming exists, but you can still buy blu-rays if you want. I doubt anyone rages that Netflix exists.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
One thing I will never understand is why people become angry when companies make products that are not made for them. Its not like cloud gaming would make it impossible for people to buy physical or digital games. Movie streaming exists, but you can still buy blu-rays if you want. I doubt anyone rages that Netflix exists.

People generally want the world to revolve around them.

Deleted member 98695

Banned
Jun 15, 2021
It's honestly incredibly impressive and you can try it now in your next browser tab and be playing a PC game in less than 60 seconds. Like whether or not you find Destiny 2 fun or interesting you can sign up for the trial and just be playing it quicker than it took me to write this post from pretty much any machine from the past 15 years that has Chrome.

If they could get games people cared about it, it would probably be less than the butt end of a joke.
People way overstate what ever perceived technical flaws of cloud gaming led to Stadia's failure, when Google's poor approach was the main reason why it failed. It would be like arguing that the failure of Xbox One meant that digital games would never become the dominant way people bought games, but that is definitely the case today.

People act as if cloud gaming inherently means poor image quality and latency, but that is definitely not true of Geforce Now or even Amazon Luna. Geforce Now is actually good enough that I buy games on it over PS5 or Xbox Series X because I think it looks way better on GeForce Now 3080 tier. I understand that I might have better internet than most people, but they do not need to create a product that is literally intended for every gamer on the planet. It works great for people like me, which is why I am glad the technology exists.

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia is what convinced me that streaming games can actually work, so I'll remember it for that. I had a really good time with Assassin's Creed Odyssey through it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's honestly not that far off from OnLive in terms of support and popularity. Can't imagine that's how they envisioned their service turning out.