• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I think I have taken 60fps for granted because I didn't realise how good it looked, that is until I played a game called RUSH from Two Tribes on PC. I used the default settings, which was slow on the PC at the time I played it. Later on, when I decided to change the settings to sacrifice graphical power for a steady framerate, the change felt like night-and-day that I thought that 60fps is awesome.

That said, as long as the frame rate still allows me to understand the action going on on-screen, I am OK.

Thank you for reading.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the other way around. I used to be a "60 fps or nothing" type of guy. Then I realized I didn't care all that much as long as the game is good.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
For anyone who can't tell the difference between 30 and 60. You need to get yourself a copy of Transformers: War for Cybertron on Steam. Download the mod that lets you toggle 30/60 fps on the fly. There's no way you can't tell the difference. Whether the difference bothers you is a different story.

RoslindaleOne

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Last Gen, I was fine with 30fps because my main online games were the Halo 3 and Reach. After playing Master Chief Collection, Halo 5, Titanfall and Battlefield it is hard to go back to 30fps online mp. Campaign I can deal with the lower frame rate like Gears 4.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Shadow of War on PS4 Pro and on PC was night and day. It felt actively worse to play on PS4, it felt broken.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind 30fps on most games, but on shooters it sucks. I'll take 60fps on shooters any day.

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't and never had to be 60fps. I always cared more about stable frame rate so whatever fps they target make sure it stays solid and doesn't go up and down. Different games and different genres change what I expect and demand from them.

I have however since the 360/ps3 start of that era all but stop giving a damn about resolution and effects. I am pretty much satisfied and happy with where we are at in terms of graphics.

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
I've found the last eighteen months or so I haven't overly cared whether a title is 30/60 or not. Call me old and jaded, but as long as the title runs at a steady frame rate with no noticeable drops I've learnt to adjust to whatever the game presents me as the player. Needing glasses though, my eyesight isn't the best at most of times, quality of sound is a much more prevalent issue for myself.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Never really cared for 60 FPS.... until I played Doom and Wolfenstein TNO back to back. It just makes a difference.

Gemeanie

Oct 27, 2017
SEA
I used to be among those who genuinely couldn't see the difference between 30fps/60fps until Youtube launched 60fps video in 2014.

Being mainly a console player I'm still perfectly fine with 30fps but 60fps is definitely a plus to me these days

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
The difference between 30 and 60 FPS is extremely noticeable for me. However, I don't think it matters as much for certain types of games as others. Ocarina of Time on N64 runs at around 20 FPS, but it's a methodically paced game, so it doesn't affect my enjoyment of it at all. But I was never a fan of Turok 2, say, for its unhappy marriage of low framerate with shooting action.

Even so, framerate never truly made or broke a game for me growing up, and I don't think it does now, even if I wince a bit upon reading about an especially poorly performing title. 60 is always preferable, but 30 (and even lower sometimes) is ok, too, as long as the other qualities of the game are interesting enough.

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
No, but I do remember the first time I was disappointed with a game being shown running at 60 FPS and then not being so in the release: Super Mario Sunshine.

That bummed me out.

Looking back, though, a lot of the beautiful water effects might not have looked so good if the game had ran in 60 FPS

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Personally, I've always been fine with 30fps so long as it remains relatively consistent.

I mostly play games on consoles though. The differences between controllers and M&KB as well as the differences between TVs and monitors are big factors when it comes to the debate on framerate. Whenever I play a game on PC I make sure to hit 60fps if my hardware can handle it. I don't buy into the whole "30fps is more cinematic" argument and I find myself aligning with the notion that higher framerates should generally be prioritized over higher graphical fidelity. Some genres can afford to sacrifice frames in order to achieve breathtaking visuals while other genres suffer greatly when they choose beauty over performance.

When I play something like Horizon: Zero Dawn, I honestly don't feel that the framerate is hurting my enjoyment of that game. I know it would feel better at a higher framerate but I also know that it would look a lot worse as a result. I know many people would argue that 60fps would affect the look of the game as well and I agree... just not so much so that it would be worth sacrificing all those bells and whistles. That's just one, very limited example though. I think an industry standard of 60fps would be a great thing overall. We just don't live in a world where console hardware is up for that challenge yet. On PC, 60fps should already be standard and anything less is unacceptable in most cases.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have any problem until I got my Xbox One early last year.

After loading Halo 5 for the first time I was permanently broken. I was able to play COD and Destiny no issue days earlier. Now it was really difficult. I can adjust but 60fps is always the answer even before Halo 5.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't make diddly squat bit of difference to me. I've been flip flopping between console and PC since the 80s and while I can tell that 60fps is "better" I really don't care. I played GTA5 on PS3 at 20-24fps and enjoyed every second of it.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
60FPS I've been used to for a while since I've been a PC gamer since I first got to use a computer back in '95 I think.

I'm more of a +120FPS convert now though. I love buttery smooth framerates. For me clarity and FPS is the most important thing.

That has been partially because I got a VR headset recently, and the screens on those things are incredible. Little to no image retention at 90FPS is amazing. I remember playing Windlands, a graphically sparse game. It's almost like a N64 game, just solid blocks of colours. I can crank the super sampling and get this insanely clear view of the world that makes it more immersive than other more graphically elaborate games.

If your game has good gameplay it will become immersive even though the graphics are barebones.

TLDR: Framerate and visual clarity > visual splendour

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not fussed what it is as long as it's stable, certain games need 60 though I mean can you imagine a 30fps version of Warframe?
But then again, if Warframe was 30fps and I knew no different (console) it probably would not bother me.

In short I'd be lying if I said I'm bothered by frame rate, I'm just happy to play a game :)

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
I always preferred 60FPS for most every title, but the difference is super obvious for me when my friends and I switch from Destiny 2 to Halo 5. Everything is so much smoother in the latter, with the former feeling a bit too choppy at times.

Oct 29, 2017
I must admit, after having played Overwatch on 144 Hz, I can never go back.

However, I can still play and enjoy 30 FPS games just fine. Some games have gameplay that doesn't require the higher framerate.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've actually recently moved back to PC full time as I do find 60 FPS fairly important. I just find it adds a lot to the experience.

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's 60 FPS, or even better, unlocked. Having a G-Sync monitor and being able to take advantage of that 144 Hz refresh rate is the best. I'll take framerate and refresh rate over resolution and HDR every day.

Going back to 30 FPS games is hard. The first couple of times that I played BotW, I ended up with a massive headache. It gets better once I start adjusting, but the jump from 144 FPS on PC to 30 on console is really bad for me. Playing that game in portable mode isn't as bad, though. I must be used to lower framerates on smaller screens or something like that.

Ruex

Oct 29, 2017
There are games that just wouldn't work at 30fps, like fighters or slashers. But beside that, I don't really care as far as the framerate is stable.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely appreciate 60fps, but I'd take a stable 30fps over one that fluctuates wildly between the two.

I think the one that really bothered me was the fact Ratchet and Clank Nexus was 30, compared to the other 3 which ran at 60, but then by the end I probably enjoyed that more than ToD and QfB, so it mustn't have affected my enjoyment too much.

DarlingDixie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not just mouse movement, consoles do a lot of tricks to make 30fps seem smoother like lots of Motion Blur. 30fps on consoles with a controller isn't more responsive than 30 fps on a PC with mouse/keyboard. Motion blur just tricks our brains into not feeling the jerkiness as much.
True but I do think the input device makes a difference, even with motion blur on 30 FPS feels so bad with a mouse to me.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If anything, games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Destiny 2 made me remember that it doesn't really matter to me all that much.

War3333

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate when a game has a stable 60fps, but never in a manner that it offends me if it doesn't.
So still in the "not care much" group

Fiddler

Oct 27, 2017
I care for 60fps, most of the time its better as long as its stable of course.

But also it depends on the game for me, so while i can easily enjoy games like Uncharted or Horizon ZD at 30 fps, faster games like Unreal Tournament and the likes don´t really feel good to me at 30 fps, so for me its on a case by case Situation. So if possible 60 fps but if the Tradeoffs would be too great to reach that and the Gameplay at 30 still feels good im totally fine with that.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
For fighting games and racing games 60fps is not only desirable, it's a game changer.

60fps > any graphics setting any day of the week.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
MGSV and DOOM changed that for me, I am in love with 60fps now.
I will take MGSV graphics over Horizon graphics all day any day.

Firaveus

Oct 30, 2017
Germany
Personaly I do not care if a game is 30 or 60 fps as long as the framerate is stable and consistent.

I do recognize the differnce betwenn 30 and 60 fps but if a game is fun to play I "forget" about the framerate.

Looking back at Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask which ran at 20 fps (17 for the pal version) I would go as far and say that a good game is a good game regardless of framerate and that the framerate is only the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
I definitely appreciate 60fps, but I'd take a stable 30fps over one that fluctuates wildly between the two.
This.

For some reason, I'm unable to play Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin on PS4 without getting (lightly) nauseous. I don't have this problem with other games that run on 60fps. Maybe the shift after thousands of hours of Dark Souls games on 30fps to suddenly 60fps is too big. Now I've played mostly 60fps games this year, I'm willing to give it another shot.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
This.

For some reason, I'm unable to play Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin on PS4 without getting (lightly) nauseous. I don't have this problem with other games that run on 60fps. Maybe the shift after thousands of hours of Dark Souls games on 30fps to suddenly 60fps is too big. Now I've played mostly 60fps games this year, I'm willing to give it another shot.

I had the opposite problem with Dark Souls. I finished SotFS the day before 3 released, so going to 30fps the day after was a shock to the system. I got used to it on the first night of playing, but those first few minutes felt really sluggish.

Sygma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter in the slightest. Playing games at 100 fps+ on pc / 30 on ps4 and switch. Some 30 fps games are incredibly smooth (horizon for example)

mocoworm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I didn't care for 60fps at all in the past, I thought 30 was just fine. However, more recently I am noticing it.

If I launch a game of Destiny I don't really have a problem, but if I just came from playing Overwatch into a Destiny crucible match then it is really jarring and noticeable.

Hopefully the XONE X will allow us to prioritise framerates in the options on as many titles as possible.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason why if I head to my PS4, I enjoy playing Yakuza far more than I enjoy most other games. There's a reason why I played through TLoU and the Uncharted collection but Uncharted 4 immediately annoyed me out of the gate. 30FPS feels like utter garbage to play, even if it's this magical "locked 30FPS". There's far too much input lag, and simple actions feel sluggish and unresponsive. And this isn't even talking about the visual, stutter-filled look of 30FPS - the animations are just not visually appealing if you're the one playing the game.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Really appreciated Nintendo's decision to strip back the graphics and hit 60 fps on F-Zero X. You didn't see that too often in that generation.
Wasn't that same generation as PS2? PS2 had a ton of 60fps games, most action games and racing games were 60fps there.
But yeah that's definitely the way to go in that genre in my opinion too, no use having pretty graphics when you can't see the details unless you're standing still, in motion 30fps will either stutter or be blurry depending on how they're doing it.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't really changed. I've always appreciated the luxurious feel of 60 fps, but find a solid 30 fps with good use of motion blur very acceptable, at least on consoles. I notice the difference if I look for it, but if the game is any good, I quickly adapt to the point where it's a non-issue. That assumes a rock solid 30 fps - tearing or dropped frames are of course more noticeable in 30 fps than in 60 fps, and I'm less tolerant of that.