• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
You get 10% off on Xbox store if you preorder. Maybe the same for other platforms.

Orbulon

Nov 1, 2017
France
Nice to see some Tennis Elbow love here. With appropriate mods it's truly the best tennis game ever made, along with good ol' Final Match Tennis and I guess Mario Tennis Power Tour (for its very fun story mode).

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did this get pushed back? Showing as release of 2/11 on GameStop and 2/28 on Amazon for the PS4 version.

Really looking forward to this based on OP's impressions

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I would kill for a good tennis and boxing game

I would literally sell my friend's two girls to a Mexican drug cartel to get another Fight Night game.

This looks fun, and it's been a while since I've played a tennis game. I'm interested.

Amazon has a FEB 28 release date, is that correct? I'm in NA.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
a career mode for a tennis game with a created player again?

Oh my.......i have been waiting a long time for this.

Please dear god be good

Am I also seeing the career mode allows doubles with a friend? no shit

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
If anyone's worried about the roster the game already has really good community versions of Murray, Federer etc. I'm assuming they just pooled the community over from the first game because they already have like 25,000 downloads lmao

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
I would literally sell my friend's two girls to a Mexican drug cartel to get another Fight Night game.

This looks fun, and it's been a while since I've played a tennis game. I'm interested.

Amazon has a FEB 28 release date, is that correct? I'm in NA.
As far as i can tell, 1/9 is AO, Europe and NZ PC, Steam, X1 and PS4. NA digital is 2/11 and NA Physical is 2/28. All Switch versions fit in there someone.

It's a bit of a mess, but if you buy digitally, you should be able to get it this week no matter where you are.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
As far as i can tell, 1/9 is AO, Europe and NZ PC, Steam, X1 and PS4. NA digital is 2/11 and NA Physical is 2/28. All Switch versions fit in there someone.

It's a bit of a mess, but if you buy digitally, you should be able to get it this week no matter where you are.

Thanks for answering this. At least us USers will have a month to read impressions and see streams.

OP
OP
Kingsora

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Make that 3. What level do you guys players ( Local tourneys, ITF, college, national?).
I am top 500 of my country and we have about 300.000 registered tennis players

If anyone's worried about the roster the game already has really good community versions of Murray, Federer etc. I'm assuming they just pooled the community over from the first game because they already have like 25,000 downloads lmao
The 25.000 pool is indeed crossed over in this one.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching all the videos I can of this game. I guess I need a new, proper tennis game more than I knew. Really do wish we could have immersive, top tier graphics and character models to go with one of these games again, though.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
I've heard from many that have the game, the 25k community players look very off in AO Tennis 2.....some thing went wrong with the textures during the transfer. It hasn't been addressed yet but they are hoping a patch will resolve things.

OP
OP
Kingsora

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
I need a proper tennis game in my life, sucks that I can't pre-order it on steam! Do we have a review embargo date?
January 9

-----
For everyone wondering:
This for example is a Roger Federer made by the community. Does not look perfect at all, but it does the job:

ffjb7yJ.png

Last edited:

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Well, we definitely need one! I just bought Tennis World Tour since it was on sale for $12. I thought that it would be worth it at that price despite the bad, bad, bad reviews. IT IS TERRIBLE! Waste of $12! Graphically, it is really subpar and gameplay-wise, it just feels so sluggish. The ball physics are just as bad.

Hopefully, this one will be better! But, will wait for a sale!!

OP
OP
Kingsora

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Well, we definitely need one! I just bought Tennis World Tour since it was on sale for $12. I thought that it would be worth it at that price despite the bad, bad, bad reviews. IT IS TERRIBLE! Waste of $12! Graphically, it is really subpar and gameplay-wise, it just feels so sluggish. The ball physics are just as bad.

Don't completely agree the game is utter garbish. After 10 patches it's not good, but it is ok. Graphically you can't expect something like FIFA, Madden or NBA 2K. The budget and team is probably quite small.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019

The foundation for TWT is actually pretty strong, i feel those developers had a better grasp of the sport than BigAnt does......another year or two in the oven and it could have been the next top tennis video game series.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like these games need a major overhaul of foot placement/movement in general. They still have this bizarre issue of someone painting the line with a shot, but the person on the receiving end stumbling like they forgot how to move to get after it. So the animation just halts. It's absurd. So many shots where even an amateur would at least extend to go for it. Not just stop dead in their tracks. It's so jarring.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
I feel like these games need a major overhaul of foot placement/movement in general. They still have this bizarre issue of someone painting the line with a shot, but the person on the receiving end stumbling like they forgot how to move to get after it. So the animation just halts. It's absurd. So many shots where even an amateur would at least extend to go for it. Not just stop dead in their tracks. It's so jarring.
So true, hopefully that gets patched up very soon.They seemed to have cleaned up other aspects of movement/animations and made a more smoother transition, so this should be another one on the list for them.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Was playing Tennis Elbow 2013 , and the ball physics and gameplay are very good even if the presentation is of course well below that of AO2. Judging from the gameplay, it seems to me AO2 is going for a more arcade style.

bakalhau

Dec 29, 2017
Lisbon (Amadora), Portugal
It's just extremely hard to do a tennis game right in all aspects of it gameplay wise.

The closest I've played from a big budget game was top spin 3/4. The game felt pretty good playing, but it was like you were playing an under 16 match. The pace was extremely slow, but for the time they nailed down the animations pretty well, even though the players moved like they weighted 150kg.

Then you have the other end of the spectrum in Tennis Elbow. The pace is phenomenal, true to life, extremely fast, but the animations are really cut down to the basics, of course because of the budget, but also because it's what allows the game to have such pace. The hit animations, specially with mods, are good, but any transitions are really basic. But this allows for very good gameplay.

The way I see it, it's just very hard for games to pair realistic animations where you get all the arm swing, acceleration and braking when moving from side to side, with a fast pace that mimics the professional game at top level.

Tennis games are unfortunately incomplete packages. You either have the most incredible gameplay and no presentational value, or you get the latter but a more arcadey or slower paced gameplay

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
It's just extremely hard to do a tennis game right in all aspects of it gameplay wise.

The closest I've played from a big budget game was top spin 3/4. The game felt pretty good playing, but it was like you were playing an under 16 match. The pace was extremely slow, but for the time they nailed down the animations pretty well, even though the players moved like they weighted 150kg.

Then you have the other end of the spectrum in Tennis Elbow. The pace is phenomenal, true to life, extremely fast, but the animations are really cut down to the basics, of course because of the budget, but also because it's what allows the game to have such pace. The hit animations, specially with mods, are good, but any transitions are really basic. But this allows for very good gameplay.

The way I see it, it's just very hard for games to pair realistic animations where you get all the arm swing, acceleration and braking when moving from side to side, with a fast pace that mimics the professional game at top level.

Tennis games are unfortunately incomplete packages. You either have the most incredible gameplay and no presentational value, or you get the latter but a more arcadey or slower paced gameplay

Well that theory hasn't really been tested as none of the big budget companies have attempted a tennis game this generation.....considering the advancement in technology and capabilities combined with the level shown of Top Spin 3/4 a DECADE ago and it's easy to conclude how amazing a proper tennis game could be now. Same goes for a company like EA.

bakalhau

Dec 29, 2017
Lisbon (Amadora), Portugal
Well that theory hasn't really been tested as none of the big budget companies have attempted a tennis game this generation.....considering the advancement in technology and capabilities combined with the level shown of Top Spin 3/4 a DECADE ago and it's easy to conclude how amazing a proper tennis game could be now. Same goes for a company like EA.

Well yeah I agree with you, I should've phrased it as "it has been" extremely hard to achieve so far instead.

There hasn't been a big budget entry so far in this gen, at most AA games, and those always suffer in one department. I'd really love to see a new entry from a top publisher to actually see whether it's doable to achieve every single bullet point in a tennis game.

As far as this game, the career mode interests me, as I always love a nicely done career where you start small and go around the world from small stadiums to big ones.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Shuffling side to side just needs better implementation. Tennis has a lot more stutter-stepping than these games put in. It leads to awkward transitions or stops in the flow of animation looking like the players lack joints real humans have. Lookin like Djoker pretending he's too ill all of a sudden to get that ball easily in reach.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
I really have a problem with the ball physics, it looks wrong. I won't talk about Tennis Elbow, a topic already beaten here, but is it that difficult to have ball physics similar to TE ? TE gameplay is close to perfection even if not very accessible, this with a better presentation layer (where AO seems to have invested) and we would have been there.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
LOL did they move the embargo up? I was told I couldn't post mine for another 4 hours...

I guess that means I can at least post some impressions. I'm a casual tennis game fan and I thought it was decent, but not great. My main problem is that the central gameplay isn't really that much fun; it feels stilted and stiff. The low budget is also painfully obvious in parts, especially the lifeless faces, but I think for those craving a serious tennis game it will probably do the job. I'm probably going to score it a 6.5/10.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
LOL did they move the embargo up? I was told I couldn't post mine for another 4 hours...

I guess that means I can at least post some impressions. I'm a casual tennis game fan and I thought it was decent, but not great. My main problem is that the central gameplay isn't really that much fun; it feels stilted and stiff. The low budget is also painfully obvious in parts, especially the lifeless faces, but I think for those craving a serious tennis game it will probably do the job. I'm probably going to score it a 6.5/10.

IGN has had their review up since 9:00 AM Central Europe time. Or at least that's when I found it. Anyway, care to share your opinion? :)

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
IGN has had their review up since 9:00 AM Central Europe time. Or at least that's when I found it. Anyway, care to share your opinion? :)

Ah, the PR told me it was 9AM EST, lol. Still putting the finishing touches on my review. Again I'm a super casual tennis fan and I found the gameplay on this a bit...mechanical? Like it's fun enough to pick up and play, but I personally prefer more arcadey games. This didn't really scratch the Virtua Tennis itch for me, though I can appreciate that the Career Mode will do a lot for more serious-minded players. It's decent, but not much more for me.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

It looks so stiff. I just can't.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
It looks so stiff. I just can't.
Ah, the PR told me it was 9AM EST, lol. Still putting the finishing touches on my review. Again I'm a super casual tennis fan and I found the gameplay on this a bit...mechanical? Like it's fun enough to pick up and play, but I personally prefer more arcadey games. This didn't really scratch the Virtua Tennis itch for me, though I can appreciate that the Career Mode will do a lot for more serious-minded players. It's decent, but not much more for me.

Having played it...it's clearly a sim oriented title. So those looking for an arcade Virtua Tennis experience will certainly not be thrilled.

Having said that, it plays FAR smoother than the first game and is quite honestly good. There are some questionable shot animations ( the volleys and the weird reflex stab groundstroke) but otherwise it doesn't look or feel stiff at all. The loading transitions are far improved, the animations look way better and it feels like you can get into real rallies this time.

Doctor Mosh

Oct 29, 2017
is there a major difference between the ps4/xbone version and the switch version like in other games (fifa)?

if yes, what are the changes?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Having played it...it's clearly a sim oriented title. So those looking for an arcade Virtua Tennis experience will certainly not be thrilled.

Having said that, it plays FAR smoother than the first game and is quite honestly good. There are some questionable shot animations ( the volleys and the weird reflex stab groundstroke) but otherwise it doesn't look or feel stiff at all. The loading transitions are far improved, the animations look way better and it feels like you can get into real rallies this time.
I'm so hungry for a new, decent tennis game. I'll keep an eye out on reviews.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales

How were loading times for you? I'm playing on a beefy rig and I had to wait 30-40 seconds for matches to load, which was disappointing.

Oct 27, 2017
Does this game at least have the other Grand Slam tournaments with generic courts and names in career mode? Feels weird to have to deal with this in 2020 but I'll take strong gameplay (I hope) in a tennis game over, well, no new tennis game at all.

Oct 27, 2017
So... Downloaded on the Switch and played in portable mode.
Some impressions:

-loading into a match seems very long
-20-30 fps in replays
-30(???) fps gameplay. Wtf???
-sub 720p in portable mode

Damn :(
Sega please give us Virtua Tennis.
Virtua Tennis on the Vita has better graphics, better framerate, smoother gameplay and at least the same resolution.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks^

Any specific Switch previews/reviews? I got the Hori - Split Pad Pro coming as I want to get some (comfortable) handheld use out of that machine finally. Seems like the perfect game to do so with smaller gaming sessions.

So... Downloaded on the Switch and played in portable mode.
Some impressions:

-loading into a match seems very long
-20-30 fps in replays
-30(???) fps gameplay. Wtf???
-sub 720p in portable mode

Damn :(
Sega please give us Virtua Tennis.
Virtua Tennis on the Vita has better graphics, better framerate, smoother gameplay and at least the same resolution.

...and just like that my dreams are crushed. Hopefully there will be a significant patch or two.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Looks like it's getting decent reviews (mainly in the 7's), a big step up from last one but still needs some fine tuning. Might get it on sale.