• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'll get it on sale if patches make improvements. Those bs glitch shots the computer can pull gotta go.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'll get it on sale if patches make improvements. Those bs glitch shots the computer can pull gotta go.

You know that stuff is getting fixed, they made a ton of improvements to AO 1 over it's life.

Even that IGN review said they weren't frequent enough now to hinder his enjoyment. I find stuff like that funny though.

Anyone play online and can report on how it plays?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
You know that stuff is getting fixed, they made a ton of improvements to AO 1 over it's life.

Even that IGN review said they weren't frequent enough now to hinder his enjoyment. I find stuff like that funny though.

Anyone play online and can report on how it plays?
That stuff is funny, but I want it gone. And in the same timeframe, I'd like the players straight up not responding to inputs ironed out. That video highlighted stuff I'd find infuriating. I can remember it from far older games. Shit should be a thing of the past.

Oct 27, 2017
Load times seem to be a problem across all platforms ranging from 2-3 minutes to start a match.

Edit: Just watched a video of PC gameplay and the loading into a match seemed rather seamless so maybe the long load times are limited to console.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This game is a fucking joke.

Load times are horrible and it's 30 fps gameplay on Switch WITH frame drops! Oh and sub 720p resolution too. 30 fps gameplay!!

The camera angles are awesome too.

vB4p878.jpg

It's a trainwreck filled with poop.

I want a refund.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Load times seem to be a problem across all platforms ranging from 2-3 minutes to start a match.

Edit: Just watched a video of PC gameplay and the loading into a match seemed rather seamless so maybe the long load times are limited to console.

I'm playing in 4K on a capable rig and it's still taking me 30-40 secs. Better than minutes but still not great.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019

This game is Tennis World Tour and it was a scam pretty much on PC ( online was never done and updates just stopped suddendly )

Anyways this game have much better animation and gameplay compared to AO tennis.

I hope they fix the original TWT or make a second part with everything that part 1 is missing.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This is looking rough on the switch, but this guy did say a patch is coming Friday so hopefully, that fixes a lot of thinks.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

This game is Tennis World Tour and it was a scam pretty much on PC ( online was never done and updates just stopped suddendly )

Anyways this game have much better animation and gameplay compared to AO tennis.

I hope they fix the original TWT or make a second part with everything that part 1 is missing.

There's something off about the speed of the ball after it flies off the racket, but yeah, those stutter steps and lateral movement in general look a lot better.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Looks rough on Switch - guess Virtua Tennis on Vita will stay my to go portable Tennis game.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
There's something off about the speed of the ball after it flies off the racket, but yeah, those stutter steps and lateral movement in general look a lot better.

Yeah.. lateral movement and animations are much better on TWT.. I tried both games on launch on PC and AO 2 is still not on the same level as TWT.

They messed up TWT with the lack of updates and poor support post launch but I still hope they can do part 2 and improve even more because the gameplay is really fun and feels more natural compared to AO.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Well that theory hasn't really been tested as none of the big budget companies have attempted a tennis game this generation.....considering the advancement in technology and capabilities combined with the level shown of Top Spin 3/4 a DECADE ago and it's easy to conclude how amazing a proper tennis game could be now. Same goes for a company like EA.

Maybe ATP/WTA are also to blame for this. I've never seen any interest from either of them to truly support a modern tennis game again. I'm not sure how much FIFA or NBA were involved with the supporting the game's development or if their name was just being licensed. Anyways, the pro associations could help with the licensing which basically is hell with so many individual athletes and sponsor contracts. It should be in their interest to promote the sport to young modern audiences but they seem rather passive about it. It's not surprising to see the Australian Open being the frontrunner with AO Tennis 2, it's the most progressive and forward looking slam by far (though I also think they could have supported a better product).

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.. lateral movement and animations are much better on TWT.. I tried both games on launch on PC and AO 2 is still not on the same level as TWT.

They messed up TWT with the lack of updates and poor support post launch but I still hope they can do part 2 and improve even more because the gameplay is really fun and feels more natural compared to AO.
Any news on a sequel?

MattG

Mar 16, 2018
Probably a dumb question, but is this is not out in North America today? Amazon says February for a disc copy and I don't see it on PSN.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Any news on a sequel?

I believe they only updated the PS4 version after a while and the PC version later with a Rolland Garros update.

About a sequel I have no information but I do hope they do it.

After Virtua Tennis and Top Spin 4 this is the best tennis gameplay we've got in quite a few years.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I believe they only updated the PS4 version after a while and the PC version later with a Rolland Garros update.

About a sequel I have no information but I do hope they do it.

After Virtua Tennis and Top Spin 4 this is the best tennis gameplay we've got in quite a few years.
Yeah I'm looking at an updated review on Switch and it looks pretty damn good compared to AO 2. I think that one might be the ticket for me.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
How were loading times for you? I'm playing on a beefy rig and I had to wait 30-40 seconds for matches to load, which was disappointing.
For online matches, or for normal stuff...for me a normal load time was 10-15 seconds. I haven't played online yet though.
Does this game at least have the other Grand Slam tournaments with generic courts and names in career mode? Feels weird to have to deal with this in 2020 but I'll take strong gameplay (I hope) in a tennis game over, well, no new tennis game at all.
It has two options....it has 3 other generic "Grand Slams" each with multiple courts and then there's the option to download community created stadiums which are actually more realistic.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
This game is a fucking joke.

Load times are horrible and it's 30 fps gameplay on Switch WITH frame drops! Oh and sub 720p resolution too. 30 fps gameplay!!

The camera angles are awesome too.

vB4p878.jpg

It's a trainwreck filled with poop.

I want a refund.
I hope you didn't buy the Switch version. That was known to have problems even prior to release. I hear there's a patch that been put out in the last 20 minutes though .....so fix some of that.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Went to the Xbox store to buy it since I'm with my dad today and wanted a tennis game to play but it says that it's coming out February 11th?! I thought it was out!
You must be in North, or South America because it's coming out Feb 11th for those areas......it's a mess. You could go through the hassle of creating an AU or European account and getting the game right away.

trugc

Oct 28, 2017
I also play tennis competitively, I can see where you are coming from, it's tough to nail realism while still keeping it fun. But then Super Tennis in 1991 already had very good gameplay for its time, I still feel like there's much room to improve. I don't think modern tennis games are very good about your own position in the court vis-Ă -vis your shot selection. Also, movement never feels like on court where your recovery position or weight transition after a defensive shot matter quite a lot. I also never enjoyed volleying a lot in tennis games. What Tennis Elbow has always nailed for me is the feeling and impact of the different spins. Let's not get into too many details at this point though.

And yes, the dev confirmed the aspirations to bring the new Tennis Elbow to consoles in 2020 on his forum in late 2018:

BTW, Tennis Elbow can be heavily modded and you will find some very good mods online. The (online) ITST mod is very popular as it simulates a changing roaster of ATP players quite well. To check out more, you can google TE videos with the "ITST" tag. I'll add one example (skip first thirty seconds or so):

Not that I'm aware of. I also don't know what to expect realistically, as Mana Games is a very small indie dev AFAIK.

Tennis Elbow also has some amazing high-quality animations made from community. The modded animation of Federer/Nadal's forehand/backhand/serve almost perfectly match their real-world version, and unrealistic animation is a major reason that keeps me away from most tennis games.

My biggest complaint on Tennis Elbow is it doesn't have a very nice defence simulation, like when defending in baseline you can't make a Djokovic style sliding and hit a forehand shot in open stance or doing a Nadal style running forehand. Any chance we can see this in their new version?

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
So, more impressions please. Bought TWT for 10 bucks but I need to know if this is any better.
It's far more complete and enjoyable experience than TWT. 100X more fleshed out career, most of the players have their own unique strokes, serves and animations, the graphics are far better and there aren't anywhere as near as many bugs.
You shouldn't even bother posting anything from the Switch version.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
It's far more complete and enjoyable experience than TWT. 100X more fleshed out career, most of the players have their own unique strokes, serves and animations, the graphics are far better and there aren't anywhere as near as many bugs.

how much is the Switch version anyway

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I bought TWT for Switch to tide me over and it's not...bad? I don't hate it but I feel like options are limited. You have to work to dump it into the net or hit wide enough. At least from the videos I've seen of AO 2, it's a lot easier ( and in theory, more exhilarating?) to make those errors. Animations seem to be a cut above as well. Big downers seem to be across the board dropping of inputs which is just unforgivable. Also, no fed is a goddamn bummer.

If at Sony, or MS's unveiling of a bunch of launch games for the new systems, a new tennis game is shown, I will lose my shit. I want a cutting edge tennis game again.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
I bought TWT for Switch to tide me over and it's not...bad? I don't hate it but I feel like options are limited. You have to work to dump it into the net or hit wide enough. At least from the videos I've seen of AO 2, it's a lot easier ( and in theory, more exhilarating?) to make those errors. Animations seem to be a cut above as well. Big downers seem to be across the board dropping of inputs which is just unforgivable. Also, no fed is a goddamn bummer.

If at Sony, or MS's unveiling of a bunch of launch games for the new systems, a new tennis game is shown, I will lose my shit. I want a cutting edge tennis game again.

Make that two of us.

Now this may mean nothing, but Namco trademarked a new tennis game this past August....Smash Tennis. It's now going on 6 months since it was filed and there's no peep of it, so it's possible it could be a next gen title ( hence the lack of reveal and info on what exactly it is).

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Make that two of us.

Now this may mean nothing, but Namco trademarked a new tennis game this past August....Smash Tennis. It's now going on 6 months since it was filed and there's no peep of it, so it's possible it could be a next gen title ( hence the lack of reveal and info on what exactly it is).
Man, I hope it turns out to be something.

OP
OP
Kingsora

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
I gave the game a 7,5 in my review. It's absolutely not a perfect game, but knowing that game isn't full price and made by a small developer it's certainly not a bad game. It's a fun tennis game and probably the best realistic tennis game since Top Spin 4. Tennis fans will certainly enjoy AO Tennis 2.

Expecting a tennis game with the production values like FIFA or NBA 2K is not realistic at the moment. So for now, this is certainly enjoyable.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
A mate had this, tried it. Every shot I hit went straight down the middle.

How hard is it too copy Topspin or Virtua Tennis.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019

You talk only about the content but what about gameplay?

I played both games and TWT with all the problems it has is still far superior in the GAMEPLAY department.

I mean in a sports game what's more important.. content or gameplay? I know that both matter but GAMEPLAY is the king and AOT2 is not better than the old TWT and that's a problem. Animations on AOT2 are janky and stiff even if they mimic the real deal.

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
You talk only about the content but what about gameplay?

I played both games and TWT with all the problems it has is still far superior in the GAMEPLAY department.

I mean in a sports game what's more important.. content or gameplay? I know that both matter but GAMEPLAY is the king and AOT2 is not better than the old TWT and that's a problem. Animations on AOT2 are janky and stiff even if they mimic the real deal.
AO Tennis has better gameplay for the mere fact that TWT is still broken (and will never be fixed), AO has the actual animations of the players ( which adds immersion) and there's a method and leaning curve to get good. TWT has a stronger BASE game, but it never had the chance to be refined. Now, if TWT gets a second chance, then i'd fully expect that to be the better series.