• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't read the comments

BCZTQiZ.png

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Zoos are a big reason why dozens if not hundreds of animal species are not extinct and in some cases their population numbers are now sustainable in the wild.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I think Aquariums are fine to the extent that the animals aren't suspected to be sentient (whales and dolphins) or clearly need to live in the pelagic zone and have no place being on display (also includes whales and dolphins). Zoos need to be converted to animal sanctuaries. I believe there is merit to kids seeing animals first hand in a safe environment.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Why not? Zoos make a lot of people happy, as long as the animals are cared for, what is the problem?

At the end of the day we're enclosing animals from around the world in a foreign/artificial environment for our own amusement.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy zoos still because I enjoy seeing the animals. And I think it's important for people to see these animals up close in order to appreciate them and their environments. I just think in 200 years we'll look back on our zoos in disgust.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Zoos are a big reason why dozens if not hundreds of animal species are not extinct and in some cases their population numbers are now sustainable in the wild.

Yes, while the exhibitory element of zoos is what keeps the lights on, zoos and animal sanctuaries play a critical role in the conservation and research of animals well beyond the "cages."

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just fantasizing how Trump sees this, declares "fuck her and her penguin, I will make friends with a lion, an animal befitting to me!" and then get's mauled to death as he enters the lions compound without any safety measures...

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my comment was tongue-in-cheek above, but this is the truth. I get that some animals in Zoos couldn't survive on their own in the wild, but they don't deserve concrete exhibits
Zoos are in moral gray area (asumming the animals are treated well). They do serve a purpose beyond pure entertainment.
On the other hand removing them from thier natual homes (without them being at the risk of extinction or similar situiations) is kind of messed up.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Zoos are in moral gray area (asumming the animals are treated well). They do serve a purpose beyond pure entertainment.
On the other hand removing them from thier natual homes (without them being at the risk of extinction or similar situiations) is kind of messed up.

Plus I'm sure there are some lazy fuckin bears out there who love chilling all day