• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EarthBound64

User was permanently banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
From email:

Dear AOL Member,

Effective November 30, 2017, AOL will no longer offer the ability to add new usernames or restore deleted usernames to an account.

Between AIM shutting down December 15, and this happening November 30, the only real logical conclusion here is that Verizon is planning to kill AOL (oh, excuse me, "Oath").
Although the writing has been on the wall for well over a decade, it's still really depressing to see things fall apart like this :(

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much longer their email service will stay up. My parents have used their aol email for almost 20 years now. I know they'll be at least a little sad having to move somewhere else

NES

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Shitty, I still rely on the free dial up trial CDs for most my internet suffering

OP
OP
EarthBound64

EarthBound64

User was permanently banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I wonder how much longer their email service will stay up. My parents have used their aol email for almost 20 years now. I know they'll be at least a little sad having to move somewhere else

Yeah, I've had mine for ~20 years. I have my own domain and could do email through that, but I just like having everything all going to / collected in the same place. I'm really dreading when they remove email entirely (which, given this move, makes it seem like an eventuality).