• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you agree with Aonuma?

• Yes

Votes: 590 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 211 26.3%

• Total voters

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
Warren Spector spoke about Deus Ex being a game designed around problem-solving as opposed to puzzle-solving. I think that terminology applies to Breath of the Wild as well.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but moreso towards the beginning of the game. In my current BotW now, traversal isn't even a problem.

master mode though....

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about where you want to go isn't a puzzle it's a choice, planning isn't a puzzle either
I'd disagree; I'd say they can be critical components of good puzzles. Those two steps are a pivotal reason I haven't completed the final puzzle in Spacechem, after all!

Too many puzzle games are a bit too simple, and that's often because there's little actual intuition involved, the next step becomes obvious after each one. Monument Valley's a good example in that regard. That doesn't mean it's bad - a puzzle doesn't need to be difficult to be satisfying - but it's not the complete gamut of what makes a puzzle.

I think that moment in BOTW is probably most analogous with orienteering, which I would regard as a puzzle at heart.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Yeah due to the glider the overworld is terrible. It's just so ridiculously unbalanced that 99% of areas you can traverse by climbing a nearby tall thing and gliding in.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So I brought the Switch to an outing event with my co-workers this weekend. I let one of them play BOTW to see how she'd fare. She has had some experience with video games in the past, so she's not completely clueless either. After an hour, I checked on her and she hasn't unlocked any of the tower yet, and she's already at the edge of the starting area. She just explored aimlessly because she had no idea where to go. Turns out that she hasn't even raised the towers yet.

Seems like very first the puzzle is already too hard for some people.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Warren Spector spoke about Deus Ex being a game designed around problem-solving as opposed to puzzle-solving. I think that terminology applies to Breath of the Wild as well.

This is a good point to bring up. Playing BotW reminds me a lot of how I approach Deus Ex or the new Prey in that I am presented with a set of rules and tools and a problem that has to be solved. How I get to that solution is up to me, however, and I think this is where the disconnect with many (but not all) people that don't like this approach happens.

Oct 30, 2017
completely agree and it's the defining quality of the game. death stranding does the same thing to a lesser extent — it's about learning, understanding and taming your environment in order to do what you want.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Problem was that by making Link basically Spider-Man, most environmental "traversal puzzles" became redundant. Yeah, I can cut this tree to bridge this gap and walk across. I can try to move these boxes to make platforms to reach something. But I can also Revali's Gale, glide and reach everywhere.
The trade off is that exploration is a breeze and far more enjoyable than without these tools.
But let's be clear. It's an exploration based game, not a puzzle solving.
Disagree with Aonuma on this one

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Don't really agree with the quote. In a select few instances yeah it is a 'puzzle' but otherwise nah.

• Jumped from Duelling Peaks to the forest because I saw a point of interest and when I landed I was in Serpent's Jaw, the end of well designed area with a more linear approach.
  • Didn't experience the road to Gerudo because I was traversing through the mountains(very barren region) and then just jumped to Gerudo Town from the highest spot.
  • Didn't experience rainy road to Zora's domain because of climbing + stamina potion.

Honestly to a certain extent you have to discard the freedom available to you and go about the game "the way the developers intended" to get the optimal experience.

I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that the devs probably intended you to start the journey to gerudo town/zora's domain from the road and that you'd be missing out a tonne of content by just gliding to the town.

And as much as people say "but there is no intended route!", there is. And the game will turn out better if you follow that route.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really agree with the quote. In a select few instances yeah it is a 'puzzle' but otherwise nah.

Honestly to a certain extent you have to discard the freedom available to you and go about the game "the way the developers intended" to get the optimal experience.

I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that the devs probably intended you to start the journey to gerudo town/zora's domain from the road and that you'd be missing out a tonne of content by just gliding to the town.

And as much as people say "but there is no intended route!", there is. And the game will turn out better if you follow that route.

Everything you just said is entirely up to personal opinion my dude

I think the game is better because it recognizes you departure from the intended route at almost every opportunity. That's what adds value and and meaning to the phrase "no intended route".

Sure, you can replay the game the intended way, but that doesn't put its value over the above, especially when it's done as well as breath of the wild.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
The same can be said for any open world game, really.

Not in the slightest. There is basically no other open world game where are you basically unlimited in exploration and traverse.

There are always many possibilities to reach a destination in BotW. In most other open world games even a 1m high wall is a insurmountable obstacle.

And there is no "right" route, every route you take can be rewarding.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's only a puzzle if you're willing to engage it as one, and I don't think 95% of my time spent exploring Hyrule in Breath of the Wild would qualify as engaging anything. I solved the problems I stumbled across by carrying a lot of Stamina potions, and often brute forcing my way across Hyrule's various environmental hazards in the most tedious ways possible.

Chopping down a tree to gather wood in order to start a fire so I could create an updraft to create enough lift that I could soar over a chasm? That's a puzzle solution right there! Not one I ever did though, seeing as I could just leap off the ledge, activate my glider and climb up the rockface that I splatted against. Find a boulder near the shore of a lake, throw a stasis on it, aim it towards an island in the middle of the lake and climb on? That's a pretty good puzzle solution! You do that! In the meantime, I'm going to make a thousand ice pillars to reach that same island.

So yeah, I'm going to say naaaaaah.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Sure, you can replay the game the intended way, but that doesn't put its value over the above, especially when it's done as well as breath of the wild.

The thing is - it does. Like I said before you'll miss out a tonne of dialogue/context by skipping the intended route and miss out on the gradual reveal/discovery of a new area. And then when you backtrack it'll no longer have relevance and seems out of place.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
no, because it's not a puzzle. you can play it however you like. that's not how puzzles work

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
During Zelda Wii U development Aonuma said: "So the puzzle solving in this game begins the moment the player starts to think about where they want to go, how they want to get there, and what they will do when they arrive." With this quote and the overworld they revealed in E3 2014 my hype began. Then in 2016 E3 trailer they showed a clip where Link cut a tree and used the log to traverse to other mountain and I expected the game to be full of those situations.
In the end climbing + gliding solved almost all of those "puzzles" and sometimes really frustrated some possible great experiences. Some major offenders in my experience:
  • Jumped from Duelling Peaks to the forest because I saw a point of interest and when I landed I was in Serpent's Jaw, the end of well designed area with a more linear approach.
  • Didn't experience the road to Gerudo because I was traversing through the mountains(very barren region) and then just jumped to Gerudo Town from the highest spot.
  • Didn't experience rainy road to Zora's domain because of climbing + stamina potion.
On the other side my ignorance about being able to swim in cold water(thought it was insta kill because of plateau) gave me one of my biggest rewards in the game. Person in this video used the same approach as I did to reach this shrine.

The other possible approach is climbing + swimming + potions. If I knew about cold water that would be my solution and I'd feel much less rewarded.

Somehow Nintendo acknowledges how game break climbing + gliding was for interesting puzzles given that inside shrines you couldn't climb walls. And I believe that's one of the reasons I think Plateau is one of my favorite areas in the game. No gliding + limited climbing. In my dream Zelda game those abilities would be scattered around the world and your experience with the game would depends on when you acquire them.

I made a post about that sometime ago but I'd like to hear your opinion about the matter.

Yes. I've ever seen the BOTW overworld as a natural and more organic evolution of the skyward sword overworld: every journey is full of puzzles, but this time everything is iintegrated in the overworld, with several solutions

Last edited:

banter

Jan 12, 2018
no, because it's not a puzzle. you can play it however you like. that's not how puzzles work
There are a fixed set of pieces and you can say you are finished whenever you like, just like a literal jigsaw puzzle. Also, the pieces only go together one way (beating all shrines and divine beasts is the only way to 100%).

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I agree with that statement regarding BOTW.
Doesn't mean it's good (the game is, I'm talking about the puzzle bit).

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, there's certainly instances where how to reach a certain place was set up as an open ended puzzle.

But for the most part, the exploration was just that, exploration.

Edit: Problem solving is the much better term for what you need to do to explore the map.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's planning, preparation and guesswork. Not really a puzzle IMO, although it can occasionally become one, depending on where it is. But no, managing stamina and prepping meals to go a certain place isn't really a puzzle.

There's some light puzzle stuff in the "immersive sim" features like using the leaf to row a boat and wearing warm weapons to act as a heat source in the cold.

I do think they did their best to create a world that feels real while gamifying the travel with Zelda styled problem solving.

But to me the puzzles are still the things like, the Shrines, the Divine Beasts and the weird woods where you gotta carry glowing orbs. Areas where it seems as though the game is inviting you to solve a thing to move into the obviously barred off room or pick up the item you're told to find.

o03tJ1M.png

I think both 1 and 2 describe puzzles inside dungeons in Ocarina of Time. They don't really describe the kinds of issues you stumble into when exploring BoTW's world. It's more that you have a sandbox with lots of opportunities and whatever you think might work will work as you hoped. I was never feeling like the game was showing me some "toy or problem to test ingenuity" through the exploration. In bits and pieces but I struggle to come up with a specific place.

Overall level of "puzzle satisfaction" in BoTW was 5/10.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
No, the game was too easy because of having too much possibilities, true puzzles are hard and satisfying because they force you to find the correct solution.

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I like the climbing mechanic but gliding has to go away in the sequel, or be severely gimped. Indeed, it defeats the purpose in my opinion.

I was honestly kinda surprised they didn't make the glider an item you could upgrade, starting with a very low-quality item like the sailcloth from Skyward Sword that functioned as little more than a parachute, to an actual long distant paraglider that'd cost nearly zero stamina to operate.

Giving us the glider early & if you prioritized stamina upgrades over hearts meant it was fairly easy to get to a lot of places just gliding.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
A puzzle implies a single prior designated solution which was fully intended by the developer of the puzzle, and I don't think anything in BotW answers to that definition except for the 4 beasts

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
A puzzle implies a single prior designated solution which was fully intended by the developer of the puzzle, and I don't think anything in BotW answers to that definition except for the 4 beasts

No it absolutely does not!

Again, Spacechem - or Zachtronics games in general - are excellent examples of puzzle games without a single well-defined 'solution'.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I agree that a puzzle implies there's a way to crack the code that was though of before, but that applies to BoTW as well. "The door is locked with electricity. Can you power it up?" and then it involves a few steps about placing an electrically charged object between circuits in the right place, which you must figure out by observing the patterns but whichever object you use and how you get the electricity is up to you.

Any way that reaches the solution is the solution, but I would argue the overall complexity of puzzles takes a step backwards in BoTW at least compared to pre-SS Zelda in how easy they are to figure out.

But no, I rarely felt the overworld applies that approach to puzzles. It's like saying Skyrim is a puzzle game because you have to get good equipment but ensure you aren't over-encumbered.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Any way that reaches the solution is the solution, but I would argue the overall complexity of puzzles takes a step backwards in BoTW at least compared to pre-SS Zelda in how easy they are to figure out.

That's fair. One advantage of a setpiece puzzle is that it can be defined under extremely rigid constraints; there's no creativity in finding the solution, but that doesn't mean the solution isn't satisfying, and can be particularly interestingly complex.

BOTW gives the player a powerful toolbox with few constraints, which means there's a lot of creativity in the overworld, but it can devolve once you're familiar with the game into a bit of a one-size-fits-all solution. I'd compare it with Trine, actually; there's potentially a decent scope for interesting puzzle solutions in that, but so much of it can be solved by "Use the Wizard and just throw more boxes at it".

The shrines in BOTW heavily increase the amount of constraints on the player, which opens up the scope for more intricate puzzles (although still with the caveat that they can on occasion be trivialised if you bring a specific tool from outside into the mix); I'd love to see them take those a little further.

OP
OP
balgajo

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's only a puzzle if you're willing to engage it as one, and I don't think 95% of my time spent exploring Hyrule in Breath of the Wild would qualify as engaging anything. I solved the problems I stumbled across by carrying a lot of Stamina potions, and often brute forcing my way across Hyrule's various environmental hazards in the most tedious ways possible.

Chopping down a tree to gather wood in order to start a fire so I could create an updraft to create enough lift that I could soar over a chasm? That's a puzzle solution right there! Not one I ever did though, seeing as I could just leap off the ledge, activate my glider and climb up the rockface that I splatted against. Find a boulder near the shore of a lake, throw a stasis on it, aim it towards an island in the middle of the lake and climb on? That's a pretty good puzzle solution! You do that! In the meantime, I'm going to make a thousand ice pillars to reach that same island.

So yeah, I'm going to say naaaaaah.
Agreed. A lot of times I did the same thing with ice pillars. Some great solutions would require a metagame where you make pretend being limited. I'm not the kind of person that will try creative stuff if the obvious or brute force one works. Most of times I solved something on a creative way was because the game limited my possibilities. And I consider being limited a good thing.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I was honestly kinda surprised they didn't make the glider an item you could upgrade, starting with a very low-quality item like the sailcloth from Skyward Sword that functioned as little more than a parachute, to an actual long distant paraglider that'd cost nearly zero stamina to operate.

Giving us the glider early & if you prioritized stamina upgrades over hearts meant it was fairly easy to get to a lot of places just gliding.

If I was to design the game, I would make the paraglider a little bit clunky to use; very weak to the side wind for example, not usable in free fall but only jumping from solid ground, and I would limit the capacity the slow down on the horizontal axis; probably give it a more weighty feeling when controlling it. It would still be a useful tool in some instances, but not the answer to every traversal issue in the overworld.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
it is, but puzzle solving means a lot of things mechanically.
It's not as "puzzle solving" as presented in the previous Zelda's, so I voted no.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather be performing dumb tasks inside a lengthy dungeon than just traveling. Outside of the staring area, I didn't care for the open world at all. Maybe because I didn't find any payoffs, but I understand that I'm in the minority with that opinion.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
yes. Figuring out if it's possible to climb to an area, or over a mountain with your current stamina, food and armor for example.

Puzzle solving is maybe not the best way to put it though.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the freedom of the overworld but I felt it needed more traditional Zelda dungeons with more traditional puzzles to balance the game out. Really hope the sequel does something to that effect.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I agree with him. You look across the landscape and decide to go to a mountain in the distance. The planning and pathing on how to get there is a start of a puzzle.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i ruined the game for myself by going straight to the castle and getting all the end game weapons and stumbling on the Hyrule shield... woops

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
But you can just skip 70% of it if you use Revali's Gale.
Which is OK if I choose to.
My first few visit to the castle was stealthy just to get good weapons and run away.
Afterwards I wanted to beat Ganon and after completing the memories Quest I came back and enjoyed exploring it with the right equipment.

I never returned to a dungeon that many times in a Zelda game and really enjoyed it.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
All the poll is really asking is what what our definition of a puzzle is.

And in my opinion that's a form of puzzle regardless of if a brute force method is a valid solution.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
A puzzle doesn't imply any kind of solution.. Something can be puzzling without there being a correct answer

Like, I appreciate the semantic discussion but let's not pretend the word means something it doesn't.. We won't get very far that way.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I think both 1 and 2 describe puzzles inside dungeons in Ocarina of Time. They don't really describe the kinds of issues you stumble into when exploring BoTW's world. It's more that you have a sandbox with lots of opportunities and whatever you think might work will work as you hoped. I was never feeling like the game was showing me some "toy or problem to test ingenuity" through the exploration. In bits and pieces but I struggle to come up with a specific place.

Puzzle-solving in Ocarina is almost non-existent. It does a great job of dungeon crawling, but you're practically never solving an actual puzzle in Ocarina.

Proper question
OP
OP
balgajo

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the poll is really asking is what what our definition of a puzzle is.

And in my opinion that's a form of puzzle regardless of if a brute force method is a valid solution.
Now that I think about it the question is really confusing. I'm sorry about that.
Given how Aonuma defined puzzle do you think the game delivered it? That would be the proper question.