• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017

Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma revealed this information in an interview with IGN. When asked what games the younger staff on the Zelda team were playing, specifically what inspired them, Aonuma replied "[Something] I did hear that a lot of people were playing was Red Dead Redemption 2."

When asked what open worlds inspired the Zelda team as a whole, he said "When I was working on Breath of the Wild, the director [Hidemaro Fujibayashi] was playing Skyrim."

I remember Aonuma mentioned Skyrim and Far Cry as games he played while working on BOTW.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 had fantastic exploration and characterization. If they can be inspired for that (particularly for story, side missions and characterization) hoo boy that'll be awesome. But of course I'll expect hot takes of how this is the worst thing that could happen.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
That's...not good.

For story maybe. But I hope the game play designers from BotW are coming back...

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Standing for a whole minute to loot every single item in boxes instead of instantly confirmed.

Jokes aside, cool that they are learning from it. Hopefully from the first redemption as well and that they don't get inspired by the mission design of both.

Last edited:

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Ewwww. I was hoping they would learn from the mistakes made in the last game. This does not inspire confidence.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aonuma and his team were inspired by Skyrim for BotW.

Doesn't mean it actually played like Skyrim.

Stop worrying, ya' dopes!

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
It probably be lead to the thing you ride in the trailer being something of a movable base. They are not going to script a new animation and blending system.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at everyone acting like this is a bad thing. Say what you want about the controls, RDR2 has the best open world of any game released this generation. I would love to see more systems like hunting added into botw2

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ewwww. I was hoping they would learn from the mistakes made in the last game. This does not inspire confidence.

What would be those mistakes?

I have several complaints about BotW, but I can't see how being inspired by rdr2 would make it worse.

The story aspect is something they could learn with RDR2 for example.

Oct 29, 2017
I for one wouldn't say that I don't trust Nintendo developers to be able to tell what are good things to take from RDR2 and which aren't.