• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Not surprising, devs play games and take inspiration by them, taking inspiration by one of the biggest ones in recent history makes complete sense.

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing worth being inspired by in that game are the wonderful vistas and how the overworld feels alive.

For everything else please stick to previous Zelda games

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like RDR2, but I definitely feel that it was at it's weakest during actual gameplay, mission structure and it's clunkly implementation of pseudo-sim mechanics. That being said, the story was great, and the world design rich with attentions to detail that are second-to-none. So hopefully they take more of an influence from those aspects.

Considering BOTW's influences and the final product, I have hope that they'll take the best aspects of RDR2 and make the core experience from BOTW even greater.

Last edited:

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what the big deal is, both games do certain things very well. They could learn from each other. I'd have thought Zelda fans would just be upset Nintendo are making another BotW.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't worry to much about it.

They're younger staff, they probably don't have any saying in the game's development and direction. It's all about the higher ups when it comes to the final decisions.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is a great game and i hope they take a look at how Rockstar implemented random characters you could meet in the world. The stories they told through them were small but most of them felt unique and i didn't had the impression they were just unimportant filler material like in other open world games. When it comes to mission design though i hope they don't take any cues from them. I also hope they restrict fast traveling until late in the game like RDR2. I loved that i had to ride for long stretches. In BotW i didn't really use my horse that much.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
What it hope from all this is how easy to pick up and play BOTW is. I don't want them to chase down a sluggish goal as their aim. Simply make more toys in the playground to use.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are worrying about this? This is good!

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo should just ban the Zelda team from playing any game Era don't approve of inspiration from.

Jul 24, 2018
Just as long as they don't get inspired by their working conditions and overly long animation, controls and combat then that's cool.

Would prefer a more constrained open world. Here's hoping we can play as Zelda in this one.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Some people here acting like the sequel is going to just be an exact replica of RDR2, rather than just taking inspiration from certain parts of the game

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
BOTW is my second favourite game ever and RDR2 is my second favourite experience (The Witcher 3 takes top spot for both) so if it means some of the latter leaking into the former I'm all in. This is the Zelda team, they're not going to take inspiration in terms of the actual gameplay.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I hope they take the positives and not the negatives from that experience. Like the atmosphere, story, sense of environmental density etc. Not the clunky overdone animations and controls, lackluster combat and awful menus.

Oct 26, 2017
I HOPE THEY DON'T PUT [insert negative aspect of RDR2] INTO ZELDA PRESS POST REPLY.

I hope they don't put Rockstar's logo at the start of the game.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they take the positives and not the negatives from that experience. Like the atmosphere, story, sense of environmental density etc. Not the clunky overdone animations and controls, lackluster combat and awful menus.
Funny enough Nintendo does the former of you state poorly, but does the latter pretty well sometimes

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the inspiration.
I'm not sure what the big deal is, both games do certain things very well. They could learn from each other. I'd have thought Zelda fans would just be upset Nintendo are making another BotW.

Exactly, I think playing RDR2 should be mandatory for anyone even thinking about trying to make an open world game.

There is just so much to learn about how not to go about it. Just imagine being a young developer, thinking about having access to the same amount of resources and knowing you couldn't possibly create something as slow, tedious and boring.

Well unless you worked for Bethesda of course.

You'd be extremely inspired to do better.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

RDR2 is the best, most dynamic open world game ever created. If Botw2 can get anywhere close to that I'm gonna be happy.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I am pretty sure Nintendo went Majora's Mask rute where they reused engine and assets and made sequel.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Legend of Zelda developers are pioneers, not copiers. If they are inspired by something I believe it's for a damn good reason they're inspired and we will love it. After BotW and basically every Zelda game I have 0 doubt they're going to make another masterpiece.

The fact that's it's a sequel in the same engine is already the best first step they could take.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I was worried that it would be similar experience to the original game,but hearing this makes me sleep very good at night.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i mean, it's harder to find any 20-30 something involved in games that hasn't been playing RDR2 the past six months.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
That looks more like a PR statement that anything else.

Nintendo are gameplay oriented first, no wat they would get inspiration from Rockstar.

Maybe from a Story prospective ? Nintendo can learn from that I reckon.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People who worry about Nintendo taking note of industry leading games don't get it IMO.

Nintendo will always create a unique product simply because their philosophy in making games and how they operate is so radically different.

Splatoon is basically their take on online shooters ... there's nothing quite like it. Zelda BOTW they looked at Skyrim.

Quite frankly both of these have been such huge successes while still feeling not only very fresh put quite positively very energized. You get the sense Nintendo really got a jolt developing those games, whereas something like Skyward Sword felt tired.

Nintendo should actually look at doing this more often -- looking a popular game genres and putting their own spin on concepts like that. By the time the game gets out of the prototyping stages, Nintendo's already infused it with their own personality that it's never going to be a knock off.

You could force Nintendo to make their version of GTAV ... what you would get in the end after a 3 year development cycle would be very different from anything on the market.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to see what weird, tangential aspect of RDR2 will influence BOTW2.

Don't worry, this isn't going to turn the next Zelda into a Rockstar game.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I haven't played BoTW but I finished RDR 2 yesterday.......the best parts of the game were the often breath taking graphics and the narrative revolving around the character interplay.
Given the Switch doesn't do breath taking graphics and Link can't speak I wonder what they will draw from it for BoTW 2.........hopefully not the pointless crafting systems,painful animations or questionable gunplay that requires an auto-aim to get any enjoyment out of.
RDR 2 is the best game ever when you're not actually playing it,lol.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I mean, if for BOTW they were inspired by Skyrim and Far Cry, then them being inspired by RDR2 isn't that surprising.
It's the last big open world game.
RDR 2 has a wonderful sense of scale and scenery. Just like BOTW.
BOTW 2 will keep the same vibe as the first one, no need to freak out.
Fucking resetera sometimes.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if for BOTW they were inspired by Skyrim and Far Cry, then them being inspired by RDR2 isn't that surprising.
It's the last big open world game.
RDR 2 has a wonderful sense of scale and scenery. Just like BOTW.
BOTW 2 will keep the same vibe as the first one, no need to freak out.
Fucking resetera sometimes.
Foreal

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo should draw inspiration from other games in the industry.

Splatoon and Breath of the Wild are massive successes for them, and both are driven by younger developers at Nintendo who aren't designing games with their hand stuck in the sand blocking out the rest of the industry.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People being upset that they're intrigued by one of the most impressive open worlds ever put into a videogame, lol.

It would be dumb to ignore it

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I sincerely hope the influences is kept to a minimal. RDR2 was one of the biggest disappointments. Poor/linear mission structure, horrible controls, overly long animations for everything to make it feel tedious, etc...