• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Not sure what they can take from RDR2 that is simultaneously good, doesnt requires a bloated budget, and can work within the BotW framework. I trust these guys as they clearly have a pulse on this stuff better than anyone in the industry. BotW is still unmatched IMO. Anything they take from it will be great for the series, I'm sure.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It really sounds like your opinion of RDR2 is blocking why others might think it's a great game given you're placing all of it's strengths on it's budget. You don't see it because you're blinded by your dislike of RDR2/love of BotW but the reality is those devs see something and the same as others who love both games. I for example, I can easily see a BotW sequel having better care between Link and his horses which RDR2 gives us. I can easily see BotW2 having a deeper more complex and gripping story which is something RDR2 has. I can see BotW2 having more complex and complete characters which the original didn't have. I can see more side-missions that have a good narrative focus rather than most side missions having the same ol "ok go here and explore and figure it out what happened" feel that BotW has. I can see a lot coming from RDR2 that can make BotW better. I didn't even get into voice acting.

The problem is you're acting like budget is the only thing that made it special when no, it's how creative you get with it's budget.

A lot of the RDR2 hate mixed with other's love of BotW in this thread looks silly because we shouldn't have to make paragraphs breaking down why people might get inspired by RDR2. If people didn't see that when the game released then hey that says something about where their mindset is. The only difference is that the devs of their favorite game sees what they didn't see so now they're wondering how.
People were already not happy about the horse controls getting better the more the horse likes you in BotW. Or didn't even know it was a mechanic and complained about their two star, untrained horse having bad controls lol. Or were suprised you could feed them apples. More complex and complete characters are somehting they can easily find in other games. Witcher 3, the Last of Us, and so on. If they want Zelda and Link to be on some sort of journey together, Last if Us would be the first game I look to. If I want side missions with more narrative focus, I'd look at Witcher 3, not RDR2. And if they lose their "environmental clues to the destination" approach of BotW, which is superior to both W3 and RDR2 from a gameplay point of view, they can miss me with that.

I'm not blinded by anything, thank you.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
People were already not happy about the horse controls getting better the more the horse likes you in BotW. Or didn't even know it was a mechanic and complained about their two star, untrained horse having bad controls lol. Or were suprised you could feed them apples. More complex and complete characters are somehting they can easily find in other games. Witcher 3, the Last of Us, and so on. If they want Zelda and Link to be on some sort of journey together, Last if Us would be the first game I look to. If I want side missions with more narrative focus, I'd look at Witcher 3, not RDR2. And if they lose their "environmental clues to the destination" approach of BotW, which is superior to both W3 and RDR2 from a gameplay point of view, they can miss me with that.

I'm not blinded by anything, thank you.
Look at what I've underlined, yeah you are blinded bruh.

Your opinion of RDR2/BotW has caused you to straight up say "well if they want that they can go here" rather than saying "well if they want that then anything that gives them that works regardless of what games does it." You're shoving RDR2 to the side because of your opinion rather than embracing whatever game gives them any type of inspiration being used to empower a great game. The interview's stated that they were inspired so whatever inspires them is a plus regardless of the medium that does it because in their eyes they can see how they can improve the formula. You're basically saying "hey why do you date that girl? Go with this one because she gives you the same things because I know, I dated her in the past" right now.

This goes back to what I said prior. Dudes are really saying "well don't fuck what they see in this game go to this other game" because they don't like it.

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they take inspiration from RDR2's open world. I know that BotW was more interactive but the whole world felt pretty dead and just pointlessly big. Unless you enjoy exploring only to come across extremely repetitive korok puzzles and shrines. Just felt like cheap padding, though I realize I'm in the minority.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Look at what I've underlined, yeah you are blinded bruh.

Your opinion of RDR2/BotW has caused you to straight up say "well if they want that they can go here" rather than saying "well if they want that then anything that gives them that works regardless of what games does it." You're shoving RDR2 to the side because of your opinion rather than embracing whatever game gives them any type of inspiration being used to empower a great game. The interview's stated that they were inspired so whatever inspires them is a plus regardless of the medium that does it because in their eyes they can see how they can improve the formula. You're basically saying "hey why do you date that girl? Go with this one because she gives you the same things because I know, I dated her in the past" right now.

This goes back to what I said prior. Dudes are really saying "well don't fuck what they see in this game go to this other game" because they don't like it.
So can you actually adress anything that I've said? Am I wrong in saying Witcher 3 does side content narrative better than RDR? Or Last of Us characterization? I'm "shoving RDR aside" because of my opinion that I have formed on something you refuse to adress for some reason. All I'm saying is that the areas which they could get inspired by are better done in other games. Your analogy makes no sense. I'm not sure how my opinion of BotW factors into me saying I think W3 and TLoU did narrative and storytelling better than RDR2. Do I think RDR is better in those aspects than BotW? Yes. Do I think that's still not the game they should draw inspiration from? Yes.

Nothing of this has to do with fanboism or clouded judgment because I like a game.

Oct 25, 2017
Good. I prefer RDR 2 to BotW as an open-world game. The quests are better (though still not the ideal of what I'd like to see), but also, the game does a much better job of characterization via exploration than BotW, and BotW 2 would really benefit from characterizing Link or Zelda or whoever the main character is by using some of the tricks that RDR 2 does.

What I'd love them to steal is Arthur's propensity for sketching/his diary. I'd love for Link or Zelda to sketch different areas and features into a sketchbook and comment on them in a diary style.

Actually, more open-world adventure games with fixed main characters should steal that diary conceit. It was so well-executed and gave heft to the narrative and the character.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
So can you actually adress anything that I've said? Am I wrong in saying Witcher 3 does side content narrative better than RDR? Or Last of Us characterization? I'm "shoving RDR aside" because of my opinion that I have formed on something you refuse to adress for some reason. All I'm saying is that the areas which they could get inspired by are better done in other games. Your analogy makes no sense. I'm not sure how my opinion of BotW factors into me saying I think W3 and TLoU did narrative and storytelling better than RDR2. Do I think RDR is better in those aspects than BotW? Yes. Do I think that's still not the game they should draw inspiration from? Yes.

Nothing of this has to do with fanboism or clouded judgment because I like a game.
This is my last post to you about this because I refuse to spend anymore time with this. This is silly.

Read slowly at what I'm saying here. You're bringing up other games and saying "well these games do it too if not better and that's based on my opinion" and I'm telling you that your opinion doesn't play any factor into what inspires these developers. If they've played those games and those games inspired them? Then great. They're being inspired by RDR2 here however and that's the game that they think improves their formula, that's the one that's making them think they can do better. For some reason you can't fathom the fact that these people see something in a game that you don't see so you're trying to bring up other games that you like when the reality is not everybody shares the same experiences. Rather than looking at the article and going "ok, well I don't think that game can help them but if it does help them then cool" you're going "well fuck that, the game sucks, they need to look here I think these other games do it better" and that's stupid because at that point you're placing your own experiences ahead of others when you're not the developers of this game nor are you placing any importance on the fact that RDR2 is helping them. It doesn't matter if you think other games did what RDR2 did better, what matters is what's inspiring these developers and what you're suggesting isn't it.

Again, you're saying "dump that girl you're dating and date this one, I know because I've dated her" rather than saying "well I don't know what you see in her but if makes you better than I'm all for it."

If you don't get that then that's your problem because the difference here is that you're placing more emphasis not on the fact that they're inspired for a new game but the fact that it's a game you don't like. That's a problem.

If you don't get it after this post then again, reread my post because this is the last time I'm talking to you about it.

tenor.gif

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
If they can learn how to do good storytelling, actual side quests and a living world it's good.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't blame them, RDR2 is hands down the best open world game ever made, many devs could learn a lot from Rockstar's excellence.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Would rather they were inspired by Witcher 3. It's the better game world by FAR. RDR2 and every other open world game this generation doesn't even come close to matching it.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol people need to chillax in this thread, big time - and I'm saying that as someone who holds Zelda incredibly close to their heart, and who also hated RDR2.

Seriously...."inspired by" doesn't mean "copying". Relax.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
What if we just.... trust that these talented developers know what they are doing? This is embarrassing.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is my last post to you about this because I refuse to spend anymore time with this. This is silly.

Read slowly at what I'm saying here. You're bringing up other games and saying "well these games do it too if not better and that's based on my opinion" and I'm telling you that your opinion doesn't play any factor into what inspires these developers. If they've played those games and those games inspired them? Then great. They're being inspired by RDR2 here however and that's the game that they think improves their formula, that's the one that's making them think they can do better. For some reason you can't fathom the fact that these people see something in a game that you don't see so you're trying to bring up other games that you like when the reality is not everybody shares the same experiences. Rather than looking at the article and going "ok, well I don't think that game can help them but if it does help them then cool" you're going "well fuck that, the game sucks, they need to look here I think these other games do it better" and that's stupid because at that point you're placing your own experiences ahead of others when you're not the developers of this game nor are you placing any importance on the fact that RDR2 is helping them. It doesn't matter if you think other games did what RDR2 did better, what matters is what's inspiring these developers and what you're suggesting isn't it.

Again, you're saying "dump that girl you're dating and date this one, I know because I've dated her" rather than saying "well I don't know what you see in her but if makes you better than I'm all for it."

If you don't get that then that's your problem because the difference here is that you're placing more emphasis not on the fact that they're inspired for a new game but the fact that it's a game you don't like. That's a problem.

If you don't get it after this post then again, reread my post because this is the last time I'm talking to you about it.

tenor.gif
Cool, this is a discussion board where people share there opinions. I'm really sorry I shared mine. No opinion on here matters when it comes to the motivation of dev teams, I'm very much aware of that. Thanks for this incredible insight.

To the bolded, that's exactly what I said in the very same post I replied to you for the first time:
And that's ok? They see it, i don't. I didn't like the game, that's all. It's not like I can do anything about it, can I.
Your analogy is forced nonsense that still doesn't make any sense.

And yeah, not really eager to talk with you either, first going with the fanboy angle and then depserately trying to paint some motivation on me. Pretty tired of your presumtuous attitude. That mic drop was cringe af btw.

Last edited:

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do the RDR2 takes remind anyone else of the The Last Jedi? One post saying it's amazing, the next post after calling it shite.

SinnohRemakes

Apr 2, 2019
It's oddly entertaining watching everyone be so cynical. For all we know, the inspiration could end up being random encounters like bandits, NPCs in need of help, etc.

Do the RDR2 takes remind anyone else of the The Last Jedi? One post saying it's amazing, the next post after calling it shite.
You could say the same for everything that's popular.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
That's obvious. All open-world devs should learn from RDR2.

R* did an incredible job in RDR2's world and how dynamic it is. Enemies and wild life systems are something to behold. Zelda team and others are inspired by it for a reason.

Last edited:

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
thats a good thing but i dont see any way red dead might influence botw2. most of the inspiring things rdr2 does are story based, and botw is a story-light game by design

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I expect nintendo's zelda team to know the good ideas from the bad. Makes me happy that they wont listen to some of the silly suggestions in this thread

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't mean the game will play the same way. They may see all of the bad stuff and decide to avoid it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Skele-Ganon turns out to just be Zombie Dutch.

"I have a PLAN, Link!"

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
Cool! Whatever they decide to take inspiration from should make for interesting future installments. I greatly look forward to seeing how the young blood continue to alter how Zelda can work.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
BOTW had good character designs, not good characters. BOTW's characters were all insanely archetypical and paper thin.
I'm not sure one-note is the word. The main story characters, sure. But the NPCs in the game just have the problem of somewhat weak writing, like a lack of inspiration to them, I think and most of it is pure meandering. There's not a rich thematic depth to it. There is some ludonarrative depth of the waking up 200 years later and exploring the world that was established by the character you play as but in the past when their motivations were in the hands of the designer instead of you.

Textually BotW kinda sucks though, I'm not gonna put it mildly.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
There literally isn't a single thing I would want for them to take from RDR2. I don't hold BOTW in the same high regard as a lot of people do but I enjoyed it infinitely more than RDR2. I honestly can't think of anything aside from maybe using music more overtly? But I love how they used it in BOTW and how different that was from lost games so maybe not even that.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
If Nintendo may be further away from being able to mimic Rockstar's strengths in full, they are also perfectly suited to mitigate Rockstar's weaknesses. In that respect a healthy dose of inspiration is welcome.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Jesus Christ please no. BotW is wonderfully anti everything that sucked about RDR2

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's good. Rockstar generally has a Midas touch when it comes to open world games and while BOTW was Nintendo's first modern attempt at the genre, there's a lot it can improve on.