• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 33515

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I really hope it won't be 'swappable characters'. I do hope I'll be able to pick between Link and Zelda but I think changing characters draws you out of the game.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've wanted a mainline 3D buddy cop adventure of Zelda and Link for ages. This is the time because BOTW versions are the best of their character. They have more personality and history with each other than previous iterations. (Besides maybe OOT)

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I've wanted a mainline 3D buddy cop adventure of Zelda and Link for ages. This is the time because BOTW versions are the best of their character. They have more personality and history with each other than previous iterations. (Besides maybe OOT)
Link: "Good thing I am only one day from retirement."

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, but that's why I find this difficult to happen because they'll have to create a new system for the entire world for her. And how is she going to climb things and such? It's quite a bit of a work for something reutilizing so many things
It's a main big Zelda reusing assets and probably a good part of the physics so...

AgeOfZelda

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not opposited to having a female "Link" (would be kinda weird if that was her name), but having the SAME Link from BotW suddenly be female would be pretty strange. He's not a "blank canvas" or a representation of you as the player here, he's very much a specific character. You can't even name him something else like you normally can. So if there's any playable female character, it's gonna be Zelda.
Oh, absolutely. I meant future Links, not turning existing Links into women.
Either way, I don't expect a playable Zelda or f!Link to happen with Nintendo's past record, in BotW 2 or otherwise.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Prediction:

There's 100% going to be an entire trailer dedicated to revealing that the game is focused around both being playable.

When playing by yourself you can swap between them and do like 80% of the content in the game primarily with either one. There will be like 20% that will need one specifically or both.

Since this is the first Zelda developed with the Switch in mind from the beginning, you can bet your bottom dollar that this will be the game that introduces full co-op to the series for the first time. Pass your friend a joy-con (or for most a second pro controller) and the entire game is playable in co-op.

Link will be focused on the Sheika Slate Runes from BotW, Melee, and Bow combat. He may lose access to the magic rods and elemental arrows from BotW to give Zelda a more unique flavor to her combat/puzzle solving.

Zelda will have Magic (accessed in a similar way to the rune menu from BotW, fire, ice, lightning abilities, plus perhaps some utility stuff like reflect and short range teleport), Bow combat, and some kind of science focus (unique interacitons with the environment, a small mobile Guardian turret, something like that).

Yes, this is exactly what I had in mind. I think 3D Zelda Co-op is long overdue and Aonuma has mentioned in the past how he enjoyes breaking conventions in Zelda, with "playing by yourself" being one of them.

Giving them both distinct abilities will only enhance the game even more. Link could have his whole gameplay system based on Stamina while Zelda is based on the Magic Bar.

I hope they take some of the criticisms to BotW's combat seriously and create a more robust battle system so both characters can shine.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Yes, this is exactly what I had in mind. I think 3D Zelda Co-op is long overdue and Aonuma has mentioned in the past how he enjoyes breaking conventions in Zelda, with "playing by yourself" being one of them.

Giving them both distinct abilities will only enhance the game even more. Link could have his whole gameplay system based on Stamina while Zelda is based on the Magic Bar.

I hope they take some of the criticisms to BotW's combat seriously and create a more robust battle system so both characters can shine.

I was also thinking that they might implement a robust follow AI that is really good at pathfinding and keeping up with the character you're currently controlling (not getting stuck on geometry), but is not quite as effective at auto combat (to prevent you from sitting back and letting your AI partner do all the work of combat encounters).

If they want to go the less immersive route, they could always implement some kind of teleport system to keep the AI spawned near you (similar to Wolf Link in Breath of the Wild).

Now that I think about it, Wolf Link may have been an early experiment with playing with an AI partner which could point to ideas they want to flesh out more in the sequel.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I was also thinking that they might implement a robust follow AI that is really good at pathfinding and keeping up with the character you're currently controlling (not getting stuck on geometry), but is not quite as effective at auto combat (to prevent you from sitting back and letting your AI partner do all the work of combat encounters).

If they want to go the less immersive route, they could always implement some kind of teleport system to keep the AI spawned near you (similar to Wolf Link in Breath of the Wild).

Now that I think about it, Wolf Link may have been an early experiment with playing with an AI partner which could point to ideas they want to flesh out more in the sequel.

Possibly, but they would need to change the whole combat system considering there is a decent focus on Stealth and setting up traps with the Sheika Stone.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Gone are the days we can just hear about a game and patently wait for it. Now we demand to know the details, just so we can get mad about them and demand they are changed!

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how similar most of the stories are in structure and how every game has Link and either Zelda or a simlar character, a dual protagonists story seems like it'd be a good fit for the franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you can choose who you want at the beginning of the game and use them exclusively. I'd prefer not having to swap back and fourth between the two throughout the adventure.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is their opportunity to explore their relationship with eachother. Its never really been done before. I always felt like link working with zelda was more of a business transaction despite being tied by fate.

Hm? They clearly have a relationship in multiple of the games. WW, PH, SS all have more than a business like relationship.

Spirit Tracks literally has Zelda join you on pretty much the entirety of adventure which I remember liking quite a bit despite the ds zeldas controlling like ass at times.

I'd still love a playable zelda, but I dont think this quote means anything. Aonuma is always trying to be coy in these interviews.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see them just letting you straight up play Zelda for the entire game if Link is actually in the picture.

One possibility I could see is adding buddy gameplay in, which I think would be the worst scenario and a terrible fit for the game. I'm not talking about Zelda being an AI companion, but a second player character you need to swap to for puzzles. BotW already had a few rough edges in the way of character control and combat, and I would hope the focus would be on improving how a single playable character works than to add in another. And having to constantly manage two characters would bog the feeling of freedom down significantly. If it's an optional thing, then sure I guess no harm, but forced puzzles like that would get old super fast.

Co-op though would be a really good fit for the emergent gameplay philosophy since the action doesn't have to come to a stop to set up scenarios.

Either way, I do hope Zelda has an active role in the story rather than being stuck in the background.

Apr 12, 2018
With all the noise since Mr. Aonuma's confused interview about the playable female link and the way this trailer is presented, I believe we're pretty much guaranteed to get a playable zelda this time around.

We see her fall, Link try to catch her up, the hand of the toilets save link, but we are not sure what happens to zelda.

Just as BOTW resonated a lot with Zelda 1, this sequel way take inspiration from ALTTP. Since we revisit Hyrule, wouldn't it be interesting to rediscover it in a dark version?

I would imagine a scenario where we can alternate between Zelda stuck in the dark world and Link trying to get her out while in a more familiar Hyrule, but with new abilities.

And half-game you get a way to travel between the two worlds with each character, opening up access to new sections thanks to their different powers.

That, or maybe both Zelda and Link are dead and now Tingle must save the world.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Link magically injures his arm somehow, that's gimmick power bait right there. Playable Zelda would be killer, but I'm not convinced.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say that I really enjoyed playing as Zelda in Cadence. It just felt right

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A playable Zelda would be cool.

Expecting a playable Zelda then getting mad when the game they're making is different than what you have in your head is really annoying.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather play as female link. Playable Zelda feels like spin off territory.

Nov 15, 2018
They already addressed how she's not a fighter when considering botw zelda for smash, so even if she's playable it will most likely be for non combat situations. Majority of the game it will be Link.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
It's implied that Link and Zelda have been traveling for some time now, unless she just cut her hair the day after the BotW ending. Link could teach her how to swing a sword in that time.

There's really nothing Link does that Zelda couldn't also do. She can swing a sword left and right. She can throw a bomb, work a Sheikah Slate, climb a rock, shoot a bow. Link isn't exactly a powerhouse or the most nimble person around. He's just sticky and has stamina.

There's no way Nintendo hasn't noticed the plethora of mods replacing Link with Zelda. It's time to do it officially.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Zelda have her own set of powers in BoTW? Her combat could be either support-oriented or maybe just as aggressive as Link's, but focused on magic rather than weapons.
A co-op BoTW with two protagonists, each with their own set of skills, would be top-tier.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Zelda is more than up to the task. She always was and always will be, cause she's a fictional character and they can do whatever they want with her if they actually wanted to. BotW Zelda as is would already be more than suitable as the hero though. Her backstory is super impressive, holding off a pure evil force of nature all by yourself for 100 years isn't exactly some minor shit. Whether she's more research minded than fighting as they sited for Smash is super irrelevant and such a specious statement, especially in this context compared to Smash.

The unlikely hero is one of the biggest tropes out there. Taking someone who appears unsuited to tackle a crisis and forcing them into a situation to rise to the occasion is a standard of fantasy fiction. Half the reason many people want to see Zelda as the hero is exactly because she's been historically relegated as either the helpless and/or hapless damsel that requires Link to come save the day.