• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
kotaku.com

Breath Of The Wild Sequel Producer Won't Say If You Can Play As Zelda

When Nintendo teased a sequel to Breath of the Wild at the end of yesterday’s Direct, it left everyone with one big question: Can you play as Zelda? Legendary series producer Eiji Aonuma knows the answer. He’s just not saying.

"A lot of people have been asking that, and so I want to ask you, why do people think that?" Aonuma said when I asked him this morning during an E3 interview on the second floor of Nintendo's booth at the Los Angeles Convention Center. He spoke through an English-Japanese translator.

"Well it seems like it'd make sense, because at the end of Breath of the Wild she was freed, so now she can be a protagonist," I said. "Also, I think people have wanted it for a long time."

"I see," said Aonuma. Then he laughed. "But I can't tell you."

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damnit make her playable! It's like the most requested thing! You have a significantly large female fanbase! Would it hurt to throw a bone?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This motherfucker lmao

Wasn't he doing the same shit when people thought Link was a girl in botw early on and he started to dive into "oh wow isn't that interesting" territory.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Would be great. But zeldas probably going to end up as some 'assistant' for some reason.

Wish we could just choose,

Gun Dog

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be great if the game was co-op with both characters, or at least have her playable.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Aonuma is always coy when people ask him this question, so there's nothing really new to digest here. It'd be cool if she's playable in some capacity, though!

Just don't make her a Link gameplay clone, for the love of god. Make her play style reflect her being the princess of Hyrule with goddess power.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If the answer is eventually no, then this is 100% the wrong answer to give right now. lol

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I wish for once they'd just outright say yes or no instead of dragging us along till near release before giving us an answer.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like she'll be following the player around and helping with some playable sections maybe.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling we getting a co-op game. Maybe even taking cues from Ueda
Yeah, maybe you can even change between the two on the fly. Maybe Zelda has different powers than Link and you have to swap for puzzle solving. It would also play into the co-op nature of the Switch. Make it something like Gooigi in LM3 for singleplayer and couch co-op gameplay.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being able to traverse the world, similar to Breath of the Wild, but being able to combine abilities and switch in real time between Zelda and Link to help with that traversal. It would make telling a cohesive story way more palatable too!

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Hope she is playable. Do it, you cowards.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Breath of the Wild II: The Legend of Zelda

I'm certainly not getting my hopes up, but I would love if it finally happened.

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be cool to be able to play as both with different gameplay characteristics or something that you can switch between. Really don't want coop tho to be honest

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
As said in the other thread: of course he won't.
If he says yes, he'll make people mad. If he says no, he'll make people mad.

He tried to do the same "I won't say anything" about Link in BOTW years ago, before he had to clarify and explain that no, Link was still the same old Link.
He's said multiple times that they want only Link to be the playable character in mainline games (especially since he became an established character decades ago), and that they'd be fine to have other characters in

With this, he just put needless confusion out there and people hoping that Zelda will be playable (which at most would be in small segments like Medli in WW), which is a bit ridiculous.
Here we go again...

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They were a lot less vague about this when asked if Link was a girl after the original was announced.

My bet is Zelda either being playable (co-op) or the Protagonist. (Single player)

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hes done that in the past. Dont set yourself for disapointment people.

Would love Zelda as the hero though.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
If they add in some kind of co-op functionality with Link and either Zelda or another character, I will flip. But honestly, I just want more BOTW. I'm not even close to being burned out on it.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
IF she is playable or co-op is a thing, that's obviously one major reveal for a future direct. He wouldn't say it herr after the first teaser.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You play as both and you switch from Zelda to Link and vice versa to solve puzzles.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I may be building myself up for disappointment but the trailer made me feel like both Link and Zelda will be playable. It just gave off a duo adventure vibe.