• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Zelda should be killed again so she can become playable
latest

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
It's happening. Believe in the haircut.

I seriously believe 100% that the short hair is the dead giveaway.

Oh, and she's the protagonist. Save this post. I'm willing to wager on this bet.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
She will be playable for the first 2 hours of the game, then you switch over to Link and she gets kidnapped and you can never play as her again.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
You play as both and you switch from Zelda to Link and vice versa to solve puzzles.
God I hope not. I hate forced co-op games. Certain section would be tolerable to me.
Just let us choose our hero at the beginning. Link or Zelda. The other then can be in peril.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, this isnt the kind of co-op I don't like. Switching between two members that don't separate wouldn't be too bad. It's when they separate I don't like it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Put me on #TeamPlayableZelda

I like the idea of Link getting special powers from whatever happens in the trailer and Zelda taking the Sheikah Slate, resulting in Link playing substantially differently from the first game with a new set of powers to play with while Zelda retains everything from the first game.

OP
OP
NotLiquid

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My current opinion is that while I feel there's a decent case to be made for playable Zelda, and I'd really want that to happen, my gut instinct is saying no - or at least, she won't be the only one to be playable in a leading capacity.

The teaser heavily implies that the USP for the new game is gonna be Link's new little Mononoke arm, which seems a carryover from an old BOTW concept of being able to transmogrify it into new abilities. It seems antithetical to tease him obtaining that in the trailer if Zelda's gonna be the playable character, unless we're going a dual protagonist route.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As said in the other thread: of course he won't.
If he says yes, he'll make people mad. If he says no, he'll make people mad.
Then he should be well aware that if the answer is no then not just saying such now would be fucking stupid.

People will just be more mad if they wait to disappoint people latter. Rip the bandage off if it's needed.

He tried to do the same "I won't say anything" about Link in BOTW years ago, before he had to clarify and explain that no, Link was still the same old Link.
He's said multiple times that they want only Link to be the playable character in mainline games (especially since he became an established character decades ago), and that they'd be fine to have other characters in
Established?

And obviously ideas for series never change and they could never make Zelda playable in a "mainline" game because it's against the law or some shit.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deja vu! ♪
I've just been in this place before ♪

Of course you won't be able to play as Zelda. Aonuma did the same thing last time.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I think that means she is playable, at least during some side quests like ciri in witcher 3.
why would he not just flatout say no as he always did? and mentiong how she could be a protagonist now and how he knows people wanted this.
I think it's happening.
my sheik game is happening.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Well he didn't say "no", but boy this sure reminds me of post-E3 2014 all over again.

The cutscene they decided to show teases a Link + Zelda partnership more than anything else (as did the ending of BotW for that matter), and if that wasn't the intended response, then that would be really disappointing. I'm hopeful that he's being coy solely because they want to announce this later on, but if they know she's not going to be a playable character, I wish they'd just get that out of the way now.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Make her the protagonist you cowards xD

I don't care for Zelda games in general, but I will actually play this game if Zelda is a dedicated* protagonist. You can bookmark this to hold me accountable.

* as in, not co-protag, no "play her for a 1h mini-section", or anything

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well he didn't say "no", but boy this sure reminds me of post-E3 2014 all over again.

The cutscene they decided to show teases a Link + Zelda partnership more than anything else (as did the ending of BotW for that matter), and if that wasn't the intended response, then that would be really disappointing. I'm hopeful that he's being coy solely because they want to announce this later on, but if they know she's not going to be a playable character, I wish they'd just get that out of the way now.
Maybe he "can't say" because they're honestly so early in development, all they've made is that trailer lol.

Make her the protagonist you cowards xD

I don't care for Zelda games in general, but I will actually play this game if Zelda is a dedicated* protagonist. You can bookmark this to hold me accountable.

* as in, not co-protag, no "play her for a 1h mini-section", or anything
...why?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda being short-haired makes me wonder if she is playable. I could see them cutting her hair just so it doesn't get in the way as she takes on a more action-oriented role.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aonuma smiles.
Inside, he's thinking: "Fuck, we should have made Zelda playable!"

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how having both would even work in a BOTW type world, unless Zelda has some pretty sophisticated AI...and can somehow manage her own climbing...

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he "can't say" because they're honestly so early in development, all they've made is that trailer lol.
Nope. They're further away in dev for sure. We even had zell saying they wanted a 2020 release.

Established?

And obviously ideas for series never change and they could never make Zelda playable in a "mainline" game because it's against the law or some shit.
He's an established character and I would see their point before BOTW. But considering they literally dropped his iconic tunic and hat -- all the visual identity of the character, now it's ridiculous of them to pretend they care so much about this.

They simply don't want to make Zelda playable.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Then he should be well aware that if the answer is no then not just saying such now would be fucking stupid.

People will just be more mad if they wait to disappoint people latter. Rip the bandage off if it's needed.

Established?

For your first bit: that's exactly what I said (about it being stupid to not clarify it right now) and something he already did for Breath of the Wild.

For the second bit: the "but Link is the link to the player in the NES game!" argument went away once they started reusing him and once he became popular. Link is an established character, design changes through his different reincarnations included (he's been a light brown/blond haired young guy with a relatively similar personality since decades). You're acting (like some other people) like Zelda is an RPG with a blank slate and where customization or something is what Nintendo wants, and/or (depending on the game/era) that Zelda shouldn't have the playable character that Nintendo wants.
It's like The Witcher: if they make one with Ciri as the main playable character, they would call it differently. TW3 is actually a great example in what could happen: Zelda playable in some small segments and nothing else. As said elsewhere, you can have strong characters and not have them playable.

Seriously, we have this debate every 2 years...

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
If they tell the story like they did in the first they could work it out to play as either link or Zelda pretty easily.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
In the teaser of BOTW he didn't confirm the rider as Link, so this is a no news for me

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
This is the same man who teased whether Link was playable after the original BOTW teaser trailer.

But, honestly, with the shorter hair, the fact that so much of the trailer's focus was on Zelda, and that Aonuma has outright said in the past playeable Zelda was something they'd considered, I'd argue it's a high probability.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't put any hope into it being an option. A happy surprise for people that want it if it does, but nothing to be expected imo.

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
I think it would be great to have her playable, but I hope people don't scream bloody murder if it turns out she isn't, like what happened with "female Link".

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For your first bit: that's exactly what I said (about it being stupid to not clarify it right now) and something he already did for Breath of the Wild.

For the second bit: the "but Link is the link to the player in the NES game!" argument went away once they started reusing him and once he became popular. Link is an established character, design changes through his different reincarnations included (he's been a light brown/blond haired young guy with a relatively similar personality since decades). You're acting (like some other people) like Zelda is an RPG with a blank slate and where customization or something is what Nintendo wants, and/or (depending on the game/era) that Zelda shouldn't have the playable character that Nintendo wants.
It's like The Witcher: if they make one with Ciri as the main playable character, they would call it differently. TW3 is actually a great example in what could happen: Zelda playable in some small segments and nothing else. As said elsewhere, you can have strong characters and not have them playable.

Seriously, we have this debate every 2 years...
You're right I'm sure Zelda will be a fantastic character as she sits on the sidelines or turned to stone or kidnapped and Link does all the work.

Face it the only way anyone's gonna actually give a shit is when she's playable because she's gonna probably do jack hit otherwise so stop pretending she's gonna have any sort of meaningful contribution.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
It's called Metroid, why can't I play a Metroid?
It's called Day of the Tentacle, why can't I play the Tentacle?

Come on, this is a bad argument and you know it.

In Metroid, metroids consistently appear as enemies that Samus fights against.
In Day of the Tentacle, the tentacles have a lot of screentime, dialogue, puzzles--they're interactive entities in the game.
In almost every Zelda game Zelda herself is non-interactive, at best featured in some cutscenes or bit parts in final bosses.

It's a great argument!

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I don't think she will be, the player is always link, that's the way it is. What could happen is a spinoff in which we can play Zelda alone, she could have a completely different moveset and focus more on the magic side of things.

In fact I think Zelda will not even be a sidekick at least not for long, the trailer has implications that she will be captured by some evil entity or get lost and it will be up to Link to save her, yet again. It never gets old, well it does but Nintendo doesn't care all that much.

I would love to see them to go on an adventure and fight together(like in the legends told) though but let's not kid ourselves, it's very likely not happening.

Vitor

Oct 30, 2017
I want to believe, and to me the short hair screams that it's true, but I don't want to get my hopes up and be disappointed later.