• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Playable TIngle it is then, got it Aonuma.

Lol.

After this interview, it's kinda obvious. If she wasn't playable at all, he would try to kill the expectations.

The thing is how much and how different from link will she be. A segment, half the game, the whole game? A skin of Link or a different playthrough as in Resident Evil 2?

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I watch that little trailer, the more I think that not only is Zelda playable, she is THE main character, because Link is corrupted or whatever was happening to him there. It would also allow good reasoning to have to start at square one for the player, instead of starting with the Master Sword and the powerful beast abilities and full set of hearts and stamina and whatnot.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
You're right I'm sure Zelda will be a fantastic character as she sits on the sidelines or turned to stone or kidnapped and Link does all the work.

Face it the only way anyone's gonna actually give a shit is when she's playable because she's gonna probably do jack hit otherwise so stop pretending she's gonna have any sort of meaningful contribution.
In Metroid, metroids consistently appear as enemies that Samus fights against.
In Day of the Tentacle, the tentacles have a lot of screentime, dialogue, puzzles--they're interactive entities in the game.
In almost every Zelda game Zelda herself is non-interactive, at best featured in some cutscenes or bit parts in final bosses.

It's a great argument!
Have we played the same Zelda games?
Link would nearly never win final fights without Zelda's help, and even less progress in his adventure without her (either through motivation or her direct help). Plenty of people are fans of Zelda without her being playable or being seen in every cutscene.

And I don't think Zelda fans would want some shitty AI helping like Atreus in God of War either (for the "sit on the sidelines" comment).

edit:
Lol.

After this interview, it's kinda obvious. If she wasn't playable at all, he would try to kill the expectations.
Like when he didn't want to say if Link was a girl in BOTW, then clarified after threads like this that Link was never planned to be a girl?
It's Aonuma, he's always like this in interviews because he thinks he's mysterious and funny.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not reasonable and people are hyping themselves up. Historically all things point to "no", so I don't see how you can lay this at their feet.
Because there not saying no instead of just being honest.

People have been wanting Zelda to be playable for years and beings dicks about instead of being straight up is just gonna make people more excited for the idea

It wouldn't 100 percent be their fault but they would absolutely deserve some of the blame.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
On the Pro side: the hair.
On the Against side: Link's arm.

So my guess is co-protagonists.
My hope is Zelda only, but the arm is clearly teased as a new gimmick for Link.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Link would nearly never win final fights without Zelda's help, and even less progress in his adventure without her (either through motivation or her direct help). Plenty of people are fans of Zelda without her being playable or being seen in every cutscene.

And I don't think Zelda fans would want some shitty AI helping like Atreus in God of War either (for the "sit on the sidelines" comment).

edit:

Like when he didn't want to say if Link was a girl in BOTW, then clarified after threads like this that Link was never planned to be a girl?
It's Aonuma, he's always like this in interviews because he thinks he's mysterious and funny.

Link needed her help for a battle or two max in one or two games and you equate that to having her be the single playable Protagonist? Really?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

edit:

Oh yeah her showing up in the last cut scene to cast magic is such a wonderful contribution. All that deep nuance.

People can like characters without them having great representation. I love Mipha but I'm not gonna pretend she's a flawless character that they couldn't do more with.

If Zelda's so perfect then why did they bother putting her in Smash?

Why create new movesets for her in Hyrule Warriors.

Why is her being in Cadence of Hyrule a selling point?

People like Zelda. People also want her to be playable and for her own series to stop kicking her to the curb.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
I feel we have this discussion every single time a new Zelda game is released and then....We don't get to play as her.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
The more I watch that little trailer, the more I think that not only is Zelda playable, she is THE main character, because Link is corrupted or whatever was happening to him there. It would also allow good reasoning to have to start at square one for the player, instead of starting with the Master Sword and the powerful beast abilities and full set of hearts and stamina and whatnot.
I did think it was kind of odd that Zelda seemed like the more prominent character of the two in that teaser, which may not mean anything, but maybe it does.

Tonswelt

Aug 25, 2018
Germany
I feel like it might be a little weird when you can play as both Link and Zelda but only Zelda is allowed to talk during cutscenes. There'd be a certain disconnect but I am not sure if that'd really matter while playing.

ED Cantu

Oct 28, 2017
Come on guys don't do this to yourselves, Aonuma did exactly the same when people thought Link was a girl or that you could create your own Link for BotW (don't know what made people think that but whatever) and ultimately he clarified that Link is always the hero of these games.

Also go watch the trailer again, they show Link apparently getting a new ability with that glowing arm, so there's no way he won't be the protagonist here.

So no, Zelda won't be the protagonist and no, we won't be able to play as her.
The best case scenario would be that she kept the Sheikah Slate and there will be some sections where we have to use her to advance, but it's better to not expect this and be pleasantly surprised rather that be completely disappointed in the end.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Werent they exploring multiplayer when designing the original BotW?
not gonna get my hopes up, but I think its pointing to playable Zelda/coop

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I don't see it, honestly. At least not with the same abilities and moveset Link has.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
C'mon you can want Zelda playable (I want too) without pretending all her other appearances are bad. She's great in several games, like Spirit Tracks and Ocarina of Time (and bad in others).

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
This is their opportunity to explore their relationship with eachother. Its never really been done before. I always felt like link working with zelda was more of a business transaction despite being tied by fate.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of when people thought a female link would happen because of rumors, and got mad because aonuma didn't want to fade his boy.

I can see her becoming playable for a sequence, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
Because there not saying no instead of just being honest.

People have been wanting Zelda to be playable for years and beings dicks about instead of being straight up is just gonna make people more excited for the idea

It wouldn't 100 percent be their fault but they would absolutely deserve some of the blame.

There are all sorts of reasons for not answering. He could be being a dick, but it might not be decided yet, or it might be tied to something in game. He isn't obligated to tell us everything or anything about the game yet, even though we'd like to know.

I think it's fine to want Zelda to be playable. I do too. People have wanted all sorts of different things. But based on everything we know about the Zelda series over those years, it's not likely, and the way people acted last time was outrageous. I'd hope people learn from that. It's totally fine to be disappointed, but Nintendo hasn't slighted you. There's no need to overreact to not getting what you want, especially when it's unlikely.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Aonuma is always coy when people ask him this question, so there's nothing really new to digest here. It'd be cool if she's playable in some capacity, though!

My line of thinking is this is exactly the same thing he did when people were asking for the option of Link being a girl in BoTW before they finally put the kibosh to it, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I could see her being playable this round. Not at Links expense, but the trailer sure framed it as both of them being prominent in the game.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Link needed her help for a battle or two max in one or two games and you equate that to having her be the single playable Protagonist? Really?
1) I didn't equate the two, just defending the fact that Zelda isn't a useless character, far from it
2) it's easy to check that she's been needed in nearly all the 3D games, and not just in the final battle, as said in my post.
Oh yeah her showing up in the last cut scene to cast magic is such a wonderful contribution. All that deep nuance.

People can like characters without them having great representation. I love Mipha but I'm not gonna pretend she's a flawless character that they couldn't do more with.

If Zelda's so perfect then why did they bother putting her in Smash?

Why create new movesets for her in Hyrule Warriors.

Why is her being in Cadence of Hyrule a selling point?

People like Zelda. People also want her to be playable and for her own series to stop kicking her to the curb.
People like Zelda, absolutely, that's what I just told you in my previous post.
She's also playable or even a main character in spinoffs, as said in my previous post, and as Aonuma pointed out in the first place.

It seems it's a "put her in or it means you hate her!" situation for you. She's well loved by plenty of fans and at Nintendo as well (she wouldn't get that much representation otherwise), but they've also decided that they want to focus on a single character as a main character in mainline games.
I don't see how this is a difficult concept, nor why some nuance isn't allowed. It's also not unusual at all for this genre of games to focus on a single character in long franchises, especially established ones.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It'll be super lame if she isn't playable yet again. This has to be the one -_-...
There are only very few action adventures out there where you play two different main characters, if any in recent days. They could implement a switch-mechanic(pun intended) though, where you could change between link and Zelda on the fly. I doubt it will happen though.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt we'll get it, though he was a little less coy about if Link was a girl in BotW than he is here.

But I've always wondered why we don't have a Zelda game or spinoff actually starring Zelda. We got one for Princess Peach, with her emotion powers being something completely new to the series. Zelda's pretty consistently depicted as a talented magic-user and intelligent strategist; why not funnel that into a game? Even something stealthy with Sheik could be cool.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
She's going to be PLAYABLE* alright

*Can only use her in key moments in dungeons

Not falling for this one again

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
They should MGS2 the hell out of this. Advertise Link this and Link that and then, 30 minutes into the game, Link gets captured and Zelda has to save him.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
1) I didn't equate the two, just defending the fact that Zelda isn't a useless character, far from it
2) it's easy to check that she's been needed in nearly all the 3D games, and not just in the final battle, as said in my post.
She's pretty amazing, especially in Ocarina of Time but she is always only really rolled out in the end for the final battle and either is living in hiding, containing Ganon or investigating until that very moment...

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But I've always wondered why we don't have a Zelda game or spinoff actually starring Zelda. We got one for Princess Peach, with her emotion powers being something completely new to the series. Zelda's pretty consistently depicted as a talented magic-user and intelligent strategist; why not funnel that into a game? Even something stealthy with Sheik could be cool.
He did say he wanted to make a Sheik stealth game or something. Would like to see it.

I also think the (deserved) criticism Super Princess Peach got, made them a bit scared of pushing games like a Princess Zelda solo title.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Let's take a trip back to January 2017:
Eurogamer: Going back to where we started, and the new footage, let's talk about Zelda. Fans seem to love her design in Breath of the Wild - there's already a lot of fan art. But reaction seems split on her crying during the trailer, with some saying it demonstrates a lack of strength, others saying it's good she's showing emotion. I wondered what your take on that was.

Aonuma: Regarding how Princess Zelda is portrayed in the trailer, obviously everyone has their own ideas of exactly how they would expect a female character to act or behave. What I would particularly like to emphasise is that the scene of her crying in the trailer is just one scene from the game - within the trailer itself it forms a dramatic high point, but that shouldn't be taken too much out of context.

Princess Zelda as she appears in the game as a whole is very complex and multi-faceted, and it's not as if she's crying all the time in the game [laughs], so I would ask fans not to read too much into just that one scene from the trailer, and to please play the game and appreciate Zelda as she is in all her aspects.
Eurogamer: Zelda fans continue to show interest in having Zelda as a playable character, and I wonder if that was something that was considered for Breath of the Wild?

Aonuma: I seem to remember three years ago when we showed the first trailer at E3, I said something along the lines of "I never said that Link would necessarily be male" or something along those lines, and that got taken out of context and turned into a rumour that took on a life of its own. Link has always been portrayed as a male character as the protagonist of the games.

After that happened actually, we did discuss in the team about whether or not we should have a female protagonist. I spoke to Mr Miyamoto about it and the whole team talked about it, but in the end, it just didn't happen.

On Wii U of course there's already Hyrule Warriors where Princess Zelda is a playable character, and there's actually quite an assortment of characters including several female ones. And that title is already available of course. So looking to the future, talking about the possibility of having a playable female protagonist, I'd say yes, it's a possibility.
And following that, you had threads of people betting that meant Zelda was playable.

edit:
also from 2017
Wanting to keep the existing vision for the character of Link intact, Miyamoto instead revealed that an entirely new game dedicated to an existing Zelda heroine could be a better option for those wanting to see a female protagonist take up the leading role.
(...)
"WITHIN THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM, TOO, THERE HAVE BEEN TALKS ABOUT HOW IT MIGHT BE COOL TO HAVE A GAME THAT FEATURES SHEIK AS A PROTAGONIST. IT'S HAVING MAYBE A ZELDA SPIN-OFF WITH SHEIK AS A PROTAGONIST, FOR EXAMPLE, I DON'T THINK THAT'S AN IMPOSSIBILITY."
and
"SOME PEOPLE MIGHT WONDER, YOU KNOW, BECAUSE THE TITLE IS ZELDA – IT'S A FEMALE CHARACTER – WHY ISN'T THE PROTAGONIST A FEMALE CHARACTER? BUT REALLY, TO ME, THE LEGEND OF ZELDA, THE MAIN SERIES, LINK IS THE PROTAGONIST. SO IF YOU LOOK AT SOMETHING LIKE HYRULE WARRIORS, WHERE THERE ARE MULTIPLE CHARACTERS, THEN YOU KNOW YOU CAN USE DIFFERENT TYPES OF CHARACTERS."
Sorry for the caps, that's how those articles are formatted and I won't bother rewriting old articles for this old debate.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
He did say he wanted to make a Sheik stealth game or something. Would like to see it.

I also think the (deserved) criticism Super Princess Peach got, made them a bit scared of pushing games like a Princess Zelda solo title.

Oh man, I never saw that quote about a Sheik stealth game. That would be so cool!

I haven't touched Super Princess Peach since I was in high school, but I see why people would be irritated with it reducing her down to being an emotional damsel lmao. I like to think Nintendo's a little smarter than "one game with a female protag didn't do well, we should hold off", but nobody's safe from that (even if they're well-intentioned!).

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I'd kill for some Zelda x Link co-op action.

Someone in a different thread mentioned Link's short hair means she might be playable as it's easier to render, I really hope that poster was onto something.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Oh man, I never saw that quote about a Sheik stealth game. That would be so cool!

I haven't touched Super Princess Peach since I was in high school, but I see why people would be irritated with it reducing her down to being an emotional damsel lmao. I like to think Nintendo's a little smarter than "one game with a female protag didn't do well, we should hold off", but nobody's safe from that (even if they're well-intentioned!).
added the links about the Sheik game in my edit above:
Let's take a trip back to January 2017:

And following that, you had threads of people betting that meant Zelda was playable.

edit:
also from 2017

and

Sorry for the caps, that's how those articles are formatted and I won't bother rewriting old articles for this old debate.

edit:
Someone in a different thread mentioned Link's short hair means she might be playable as it's easier to render, I really hope that poster was onto something.
It seems more like the usual female character development in Japanese fiction to me, with the female character cutting her hair (with help or alone) to show she's starting a new life. Cf Mulan too.
Playable Zelda on Cemu has no issue with her long hair either.
edit 2:
tvtropes.org

Important Haircut - TV Tropes

When a character cuts off their hair, it often symbolizes a rite of passage or bout of character growth. A princess striking out on an adventure, or a new recruit at boot camp, for instance. Parting with it voluntarily can be greatly symbolic.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I want it, the chances of this happening are so slim. It really sucks.

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Why didn't Aonuma casually explain major elements of a massively important game in early development, that was revealed with a clearly deliberately cryptic trailer, off-hand in a random interview?"

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Why would he tell us a major feature of the game when it's so far off? Of course he's going to be coy until they have more to share.