• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I feel like this is happening.
Remember when he said he wanted to break the conventions on Zelda with BotW and he mentionned "playing by yourself", well that didn't happen but with the sequel...

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
added the links about the Sheik game in my edit above:

edit:

It seems more like the usual female character development in Japanese fiction to me, with the female character cutting her hair (with help or alone) to show she's starting a new life. Cf Mulan too.
Playable Zelda on Cemu has no issue with her long hair either.
edit 2:
tvtropes.org

Important Haircut - TV Tropes

When a character cuts off their hair, it often symbolizes a rite of passage or bout of character growth. A princess striking out on an adventure, or a new recruit at boot camp, for instance. Parting with it voluntarily can be greatly symbolic.

Thanks for the info!

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
zelda's going to be an AI companion and we're all just gonna have to sit down and like it!

Even after thirty years of loving this series through highs and lows, I'm still crushed that I've never had the chance to play as Zelda in one of these adventures.

My fervent hope is that you get to select your hero at the start (cause I'd go with Zelda, best believe -- it's far more likely the default pick will be locked as Link when you boot the game, though), or after the tutorial where you can pick your player character, and the remaining character is your assistant / guide / second player. Throw some story shenanigans in there so Link gets sidelined but still is part of the quest... something that requires Zelda to pick up the torch.

Do it, Nintendo. Do it. Make our dreams come true and finally give us the playable Zelda we've wanted for years.

Badass, no nonsense take charge Zelda stepping into the spotlight, taking care of an injured, out of commission Link and bringing peace to Hyrule while discovering her own skills as an adventurer. Helping out villagers, questing, routing monster infested hideouts, braving dungeons and stomping out evil.

DO IT. Give us the unquestionable GOAT.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like when he didn't want to say if Link was a girl in BOTW, then clarified after threads like this that Link was never planned to be a girl?
It's Aonuma, he's always like this in interviews because he thinks he's mysterious and funny.

Lol exactly

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1) I didn't equate the two, just defending the fact that Zelda isn't a useless character, far from it
2) it's easy to check that she's been needed in nearly all the 3D games, and not just in the final battle, as said in my post.

People like Zelda, absolutely, that's what I just told you in my previous post.
She's also playable or even a main character in spinoffs, as said in my previous post, and as Aonuma pointed out in the first place.

It seems it's a "put her in or it means you hate her!" situation for you. She's well loved by plenty of fans and at Nintendo as well (she wouldn't get that much representation otherwise), but they've also decided that they want to focus on a single character as a main character in mainline games.
I don't see how this is a difficult concept, nor why some nuance isn't allowed. It's also not unusual at all for this genre of games to focus on a single character in long franchises, especially established ones.
So you won't care when Zelda is inevitably shafted out of the story yet again like every other time she's been in a game?

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you won't care when Zelda is inevitably shafted out of the story yet again like every other time she's been in a game?
Aaaa. Please don't do this. She's not shafted in every game.

Seriously, I also would like her playable, but this isn't fair to a lot of her appearances in previous games. I mean, in Spirit Tracks she's even a playable partner with the armor (I get that it isn't "Zelda" exactlly for being her possessing another body).

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Surely if it wasn't true he would just say no right?
Like when he wouldn't say if Link was a girl or a boy in BOTW?
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe

Short hair = easier to animate = playable?
tvtropes.org

When a character cuts off their hair, it often symbolizes a rite of passage or bout of character growth. A princess striking out on an adventure, or a new recruit at boot camp, for instance. Parting with it voluntarily can be greatly symbolic.
I mean, we've seen Zelda here from the reveal trailer (which isn't that often the case with this series).
We don't even know what happens in the story. Only moment I remember Zelda getting shafted out of the story was in the second half of Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017

tvtropes.org

I mean, we've seen Zelda here from the reveal trailer (which isn't that often the case with this series).
We don't even know what happens in the story. Only moment I remember Zelda getting shafted out of the story was in the second half of Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.
I know I know, just wishful thinking

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Just don't make her a Link gameplay clone, for the love of god. Make her play style reflect her being the princess of Hyrule with goddess power.
I dunno, personally I'd rather have her play like Link -- or at least close. Not that I'd say no to a magic-style playable Zelda, because I'm up for any playable Zelda, but still.

This isn't just any old Princess Zelda, it's BotW Zelda: her entire character builds from the premise of "actually I'm not into the whole magic goddess stuff". Sure, she does seal Ganon when the plot demands it, but for the vast majority of the time we see her, she's all about getting out there in the world, learning stuff, and doing science. Even after awakening her powers, as soon as Ganon's out of the picture, she immediately falls back into her old behaviours, swapping the pure white princess dress for her adventuring gear and heading out to handle stuff hands-on with the power of technology.
It's easy to forget, but the Shiekah Slate Link uses in BotW belonged to Zelda in the first place; it makes perfect sense for her to play pretty much exactly like he did in that game. Magic just isn't her thing, and plus, making the girl character do magic while the guy character swings a sword is tired at this point.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
He can't tell you because it would spoil the title, The Legend of Zelda: A Princess of Power Awakens

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
In before the cry-baby Alt-righters complain about a female protag sharing the spotlight with their traditional Link: a very fluid looking male elf.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aaaa. Please don't do this. She's not shafted in every game.

Seriously, I also would like her playable, but this isn't fair to a lot of her appearances in previous games. I mean, in Spirit Tracks she's even a playable partner with the armor (I get that it isn't "Zelda" exactlly for being her possessing another body).
Zelda 1-Kidnapped the whole game, only shows up in the ending.
Zelda 2-coma the whole game.
LttP-Rescued in the beginning then spends the first half in the church and the second half in a rock.
OoT-Her best showing yet(thanks to pretending to not be Zelda) but she still only gets kidnapped and does next to nothing in the final battle until she Kamehameha's Ganon at the very end.
WW-My favorite incarnation but she's still forced to stay in the basement halfway through the game until she's kidnapped.(though unlike OoT she at least actively fights in the final battle.)
PH-Kidnappe and turned to stone right at the start and doesn't even get turned back till the ending.
TP-kidnapped, possessed, and is pretty much made irrelevant by the superior Midna until she helps in the final battle.
SS-never played it so no comment.
BotW-Trapped until,you guessed it, the end of the game.(though at least we get the flashbacks to flesh out her character and give her an actual arc for once.)

Please don't think my anger means I hate Zelda, I love the character, I'm just frustrated by how she's treated so often and certain peoples in the fanbases obsessive adherence to "tradition" despite the fact that the most recent game was all about breaking such traditions.

Spirit Tracks Zelda was amazing and I want to see more of that. But so far it feels almost like the exception to the rule. Heck it even makes fun of Zelda staying at the castle while Link does the work.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
The mentions of co-op in this thread are interesting, as I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned in regards to Zelda for a while. I guess I'm actually a bit surprised BOTW didn't have any, if I remember what Aonuma had been talking about before launch correctly. I just wouldn't want a game where I have to swap between characters tediously or rely on bad AI because I'm playing solo.

Anyway, please make her playable in some way, Nintendo. It'd be great to have her play a more consistently active role in the adventure.

Aonuma is always coy when people ask him this question, so there's nothing really new to digest here. It'd be cool if she's playable in some capacity, though!

Just don't make her a Link gameplay clone, for the love of god. Make her play style reflect her being the princess of Hyrule with goddess power.

I've been wondering this: didn't the true ending of BOTW suggest she lost her power? I was thinking she could regain her powers over the course of an adventure, which might be a cool way to progress her game mechanics.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, personally I'd rather have her play like Link -- or at least close. Not that I'd say no to a magic-style playable Zelda, because I'm up for any playable Zelda, but still.

This isn't just any old Princess Zelda, it's BotW Zelda: her entire character builds from the premise of "actually I'm not into the whole magic goddess stuff". Sure, she does seal Ganon when the plot demands it, but for the vast majority of the time we see her, she's all about getting out there in the world, learning stuff, and doing science. Even after awakening her powers, as soon as Ganon's out of the picture, she immediately falls back into her old behaviours, swapping the pure white princess dress for her adventuring gear and heading out to handle stuff hands-on with the power of technology.
It's easy to forget, but the Shiekah Slate Link uses in BotW belonged to Zelda in the first place; it makes perfect sense for her to play pretty much exactly like he did in that game. Magic just isn't her thing, and plus, making the girl character do magic while the guy character swings a sword is tired at this point.
Making Zelda play 100% like Link instead of making her unique just doesn't feel right to me, regardless of her incarnation. Even when she's using a sword in Hyrule Warriors, she's using a form of sword and fighting style imbued with magic that's distinct and her own.

I just don't want Zelda to be Link in a different colored tunic, if that makes sense.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the response "she's there to be rescued" last time? I don't like the way he's answering this question and it makes me think she won't be playable.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda 1-Kidnapped the whole game, only shows up in the ending.
Zelda 2-coma the whole game.
LttP-Rescued in the beginning then spends the first half in the church and the second half in a rock.
OoT-Her best showing yet(thanks to pretending to not be Zelda) but she still only gets kidnapped and does next to nothing in the final battle until she Kamehameha's Ganon at the very end.
WW-My favorite incarnation but she's still forced to stay in the basement halfway through the game until she's kidnapped.(though unlike OoT she at least actively fights in the final battle.)
PH-Kidnappe and turned to stone right at the start and doesn't even get turned back till the ending.
TP-kidnapped, possessed, and is pretty much made irrelevant by the superior Midna until she helps in the final battle.
SS-never played it so no comment.
BotW-Trapped until,you guessed it, the end of the game.(though at least we get the flashbacks to flesh out her character and give her an actual arc for once.)

Please don't think my anger means I hate Zelda, I love the character, I'm just frustrated by how she's treated so often and certain peoples in the fanbases obsessive adherence to "tradition" despite the fact that the most recent game was all about breaking such traditions.

Spirit Tracks Zelda was amazing and I want to see more of that. But so far it feels almost like the exception to the rule. Heck it even makes fun of Zelda staying at the castle while Link does the work.
I can make a whole thread about why TP Zelda is a great character. Maybe I'll do that later.

I don't disagree that she gets the short stick many times, but she had several good appearances through franchise's history.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
Okay, WHAT IF...

Link is the protagonist and his new arm power thingys allow him to open a portal to another realm that only Zelda can enter.

Each realm works like Eventide Island and you get to use her sealing power and shit inside.

I dunno, that would be cool :P

Aonuma was quoted as saying he wanted to focus on multiplayer in BotW 2. Lemme find it...

I imagine if there's multiplayer then Zelda would naturally be player 2.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

tvtropes.org

If she's not playable then I fully expect her to be kidnapped, turned to stone, sealed off, or otherwise incapacitated like every single other Zelda games besides Spirit Tracks.

Nintendo has given me no reason to trust them if there not gonna make her playable.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It looked like the two got separated during the trailer. Is it possible you swap between the two like in Kingdom Hearts 3D almost, with Zelda exploring the underworld and Link exploring the overworld or some such thing. Either you can swap freely or there's some time limit, but it's not co-op, they each have totally different maps to explore.

He can't tell you because it would spoil the title, The Legend of Zelda: A Princess of Power Awakens

This would be a good justification for the lack of a title reveal.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
They were a lot less vague about this when asked if Link was a girl after the original was announced.

My bet is Zelda either being playable (co-op) or the Protagonist. (Single player)
Not really. When the interviewer brought up that many thought Link looked feminine, his response was that they never said it was Link.
I've been wondering this: didn't the true ending of BOTW suggest she lost her power?
...no?

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
Hmm Aonuma is vague when asked about multiplayer for future Zelda titles.

'would like to take what I learned from Breath of the Wild and see if we can somehow fuse those learning points into another multiplayer Zelda," Aonuma told IGN at E3 2016. "For example, with Triforce Heroes, which followed a similar format of Four Swords, there was a multiplayer involved in that game. That's definitely a possibility and we will continue to [experiment] throughout the Zelda franchise.'

I wonder if he meant in BotW 2 or in a spin off title similar to Four Swords.

If there were a multiplayer component then we all would expect Zelda to be player 2.

Source IGN interview

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if something happens while Zelda and Link are exploring that causes them to get separated and you spend the game switching between both to get them back together.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand I have little faith that she will be playable. But on the other hand if she wasn't I don't know why he wouldn't be able to tell us.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017

I've transcribed the final quote in the game:

Zelda: I can no longer hear the voice inside the sword. I suppose it would make sense if my power had dwindled over the past 100 years. I'm surprised to admit it, but I can accept that.

I interpreted that to mean her powers were disappearing and had all but disappeared by that final scene (since she can't hear the voice). I could see a solid counterpoint being that she still sealed away Ganon after 100 years, a sign that her powers were still around. With the final quote, I interpreted that final battle to be like a final burst of strength, but I could see it being argued that she must still have power, assuming that final fight wasn't too far in the past. I guess it depends on what you think being able to hear the voice means.

AgeOfZelda

Oct 27, 2017
Given the whole "but what would Link do?" mess from 2016, I highly doubt Zelda will be playable. Heck, she seems to fall when the bridge(?) they're on in the trailer breaks so I think she's just going to be a damsel in distress. Again.
Of course I'd be thrilled to be wrong as I'm one of the people who always wanted a playable Zelda and gender option for Link, but yeah - I don't see it happening.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the conversation around this when BOTW was announced. "I never said that was Link," says Aonuma. It was. "THAT'S A GIRL." Hopeful fans shouted. It wasn't. "YOU CAN PLAY AS A GIRL." We couldn't.

You'll pardon me if I won't build up any anticipation over Aonuma being tight lipped. In other news, grass green and water wet.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This motherfucker lmao

Wasn't he doing the same shit when people thought Link was a girl in botw early on and he started to dive into "oh wow isn't that interesting" territory.
"I didn't say Link wasn't a girl, but I also didn't say Link was a boy, right?"
q8gQCFe.jpg

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Here's my guess about the plot, and I think it will be a "Play as Zelda" game. No, no wait, actually someone just leaked the entire plot to me, and you will believe everything you hear.

Link opens the Sarcophagus in the Tomb of Resting Power and the calamity which has been absorbed into the spirit orbs starts emerging and revives Ganondorf's corpse. The reanimated Ganondorf grabs Link's hand and becomes one with Link, and after a brief battle where Zelda gets knocked unconsciouss she wakes up at an uncertain date and time in the future to discover Hyrule has changed, and Ganondorf has taken over the land with Link as his puppet.

Zelda must kill Ganondorf, and after visiting the 5 Forbidden Tombs and activating powers to suppress Ganondorf, she faces Ganondorf atop the now floating Hyrule Castle in the sky.

At the end of the game Zelda kills Ganondorf but it also kills Link.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my guess about the plot, and I think it will be a "Play as Zelda" game. No, no wait, actually someone just leaked the entire plot to me, and you will believe everything you hear.

Link opens the Sarcophagus in the Tomb of Resting Power and the calamity which has been absorbed into the spirit orbs starts emerging and revives Ganondorf's corpse. The reanimated Ganondorf grabs Link's hand and becomes one with Link, and after a brief battle where Zelda gets knocked unconsciouss she wakes up at an uncertain date and time in the future to discover Hyrule has changed, and Ganondorf has taken over the land with Link as his puppet.

Zelda must kill Ganondorf, and after visiting the 5 Forbidden Tombs and activating powers to suppress Ganondorf, she faces Ganondorf atop the now floating Hyrule Castle in the sky.

At the end of the game Zelda kills Ganondorf but it also kills Link.
The hand that grabs link's hand is the hand that is grabbing Ganon's chest, not Ganon's hand. Zelda also falls down a hole.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loving to read the first page with people already insulting Aonuma. Fantastic showing from this board as always. Continue like this guys!

This could even be true and happens but the way people are thinking as if it's already confirmed will only lead to disappointment.