• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You guys are killing the surprise.

You know how secretive Nintendo is.

This obviously means a yes, but you dolts ruined it by asking him lol.

An MGS2 Raiden scenario will never happen again.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The hand that grabs link's hand is the hand that is grabbing Ganon's chest, not Ganon's hand. Zelda also falls down a hole.

I feel like this means Link takes Ganondorf's place under the seal and Zelda will wake up in the crater below hyrule castle after being knocked unconscious from the fall/blast. This is where the game will begin, with players assuming the role of Zelda.

Calling it now.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I mean Nintendo would have to be a rare type of stupid to not make Zelda playable after Aonuma himself witnessed so many fans asking for it in BotW when he was here for E3 2016. If I had to guess it's guaranteed.

Then again, it's Nintendo.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
When I saw that trailer I thought Nintendo would be fools to make that the trailer and not have Zelda playable in some fashion.

And Nintendo are fools, tbh.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Nintendo would have to be a rare type of stupid to not make Zelda playable after Aonuma himself witnessed so many fans asking for it in BotW when he was here for E3 2016. If I had to guess it's guaranteed.

Then again, it's Nintendo.

Nintendo is made by people, it's not an entity lmao You're talking about Aonuma in this sentence and Nintendo at the same time when in this case it's Aonuma who's involved on the very proccess. It's not like executives are interrupting the team to put Zelda, this is a creative direction by Fujibayashi, Aonuma and the team itself on EPD.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
If they string us along when they planned from the outset she wasn't gonna be playable, that bullshit.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they string us along when they planned from the outset she wasn't gonna be playable, that bullshit.

That scene can literally mean that Zelda is just a companion of Link in the adventure. Or in a future scene she can be separated from the story as well. Just that scene is nothing. Remember the BOTW trailers and how many things from the story were different than the interpretation people were giving for all of it.

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
Zelda falls and is hanging off that bridge for 100 years while waiting for Link to show up and hoist her up. That's the plot.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
She should actually be the MC this time around. I don't want this boring silent Link for 100+ hours again.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If she isn't playable they should really just say so asap, because people are gonna be even more disappointed if they're allowed to hype the possibility for another year.

Nintendo is often super tone deaf on stuff like this, though. Pretty sure this is the same guy who allowed speculation of Link being a girl in the original BotW trailers to continue for months back then, too.

It would be pretty ridiculous if she isn't playable imo. They have to know how much people want it at this point.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
not-this-shit-again_fb_1224286.jpg

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Almost reminds me of the time a confused Miyamoto once asked the journalist why they would ever want another F-Zero game

Oct 29, 2017
Probably won't know for sure for a year minimum. The coy "AWWWW ISNT THIS INTERESTING" act should lend itself to worthwhile, fruitful discussion.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She's not gonna be playable. He's asking "why do you think that" cause he realizes his team's in deep shit, they've built half a game with her trapped under Hyrule Castle holding mummy-dorf captive while Link adventures and it's too late to change now. They've built this Link up to be supremely physically capable and this Zelda to be a bookish type who sure, likes to get out and adventure but to kill enemies with swords and bows and swing disproportionately large objects and generally be Incredibly Physical? It's just not how they've designed or characterized her at all this time around, or at least, that's the logic I expect they're using. I'd love to have her playable but y'all really gotta not get your hopes up.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is basically the same answer given pre-BotW and pre-every Zelda so...

Might be a good idea to temper your excitement.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Zelda isn't playable but Wind Waker's Grandma returns and she is.
Lol, so I turned on the Nintendo Live feed yesterday once I was settled in at work, and I wanted to rewind it so I could watch the Direct, and the first thing I saw on the screen was what I thought was an old lady creeping through some grass in BotW and I was like, "What the hell kind of BotW DLC did Nintendo announce?"

Turns out it was Pokemon and the boy's hat makes him look like an old lady from behind.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isnt Aonuma the guy who said "But if Zelda is the hero, what would Link do?"

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Id love if u could choose play as link or zelda, that would be cool + replayability.

or
I would really love a Nier Automata approach, in which u play both, but every one gets his/her chapter, in which they do things and not with the other. Ending in a chapter with both of them.

Fuck, with this news about the sequel, i feel i have to replay botw.

Last edited:

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I really want this to happen, but I also don't want to get my hopes up. Before BotW came out, I remember all those rumors about being able to play as a female Link that turned out to be nothing. Playing as Zelda would be fantastic, but I just don't have any faith that it will happen.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Playable Zelda is the only thing that could get me to like/care/play either BoTW game.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Oh you mean like when there was a lot of debate online over whether "Link" in the first BotW trailer was a boy or girl and instead of just saying "boy" and ending it, Nintendo strung everyone along for like a year so the people hoping for "girl" would be all the more disappointed for no reason?

Yeah, Nintendo wouldn't do that...

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
"A lot of people have been asking that, and so I want to ask you, why do people think that?" Aonuma said
emphases added

That says to me that at best no one involved with putting the trailer together thought it even hinted at her being playable. At worst it means making her playable never crossed any of the dev team's mind at all.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish that she was, but I don't see it happening. Aonuma's giving the same non-answers he gave when Breath of the Wild was initially revealed and after.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Make Zelda playable since they're using the exact same map so it'll all be new to her. Makes perfect sense.

I am joking.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
emphases added

That says to me that at best no one involved with putting the trailer together thought it even hinted at her being playable. At worst it means making her playable never crossed any of the dev team's mind at all.

Sadly this is probably true. Aonuma probably is thinking "Why would anyone want to play as Zelda?" TBH, it wouldn't surprise me if she gets kidnapped/sealed away only moments after what we saw in the trailer happens.

I wish he would just say it one way or another, but he really doesn't care.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Zelda and many other characters are playable in this one, especially if this game has an online component to it.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I may be building myself up for disappointment but the trailer made me feel like both Link and Zelda will be playable. It just gave off a duo adventure vibe.

Yup, the way she's dressed and outfitted, it's not quite like the interchangeable protagonists of Astral Chain or male and female Byleth, but it's as damn close design-wise as they've ever made Zelda and Link.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
A: Can we do '_____' in the game?
B: I'm not saying. = Yes
B: No. = Probably No, unless it's Nintendo regarding a new system release, then it 100% means Yes.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His weird non-response and Zelda's shorter non-clipping hair make me think it might finally be happening.