• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
Can you at least read the rest of my post? Damn...
I wouldn't mind playing as a girl either, I just don't get why it's inherently more interesting. Especially if it's a silent protagonist again.
You don't need to get why she thinks playing as Zelda would be more interesting to her.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Why?`Don't get me wrong, the best case scenario for me would be a system like in the new Luigi's mansion where you have to swap between Link and Zelda freely to solve puzzles and such. And then have it be a two player co-op if you want to play with someone else.

But Zelda being inheritly less boring than Link is just...nah.

You really think they would leave Link silent but do a complete voiceover just because it's Zelda you play as? That doesn't make any sense. Either the main character talks or they don't, no matter who we play as. Like, that's not how any of this works.

I can easily see them doing Zelda but she's silent again.
I'm not talking about what I think they'd do, I'm talking about what I wish they'd do to mix things up in this sequel.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't mind playing as a girl either, I just don't get why it's inherently more interesting.
tenor.gif

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
At best she will be the companion, can't see them doing nothing more than that.
This, basically.
If Zelda has a playable role in this game (which I honestly don't think is the case) I expect her to be a support character when things get real nasty for Link and she has to help him out.

I'd definitely love to have a playable Zelda for the full game but I still believe Link will be the main (if not the only) playable character.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not talking about what I think they'd do, I'm talking about what I wish they'd do to mix things up in this sequel.
You said Zelda would be more interesting because you just assumed she would talk and Link wouldn't if he was the main protag, because Zelda already talks in BotW. I don't get where that assumption is coming from.

I don't care about the rest of your post because it's irrelevant to the conversation we're having. I want to play as a girl. That's what makes it interesting to me. That's literally all that matters to me. It doesn't have to be a grand narrative statement. I. Want. To play. As a girl. That would be enough for me.
First of all you just chimed in to a question I asked someone that was related to them thinking Zelda would talk in the new game and Link wouldn't if he were the protagonist. So we didn't really have a conversation about the topic I thought we would, because I thought you were that other person. If you don't care about my posts, then please just stop responsing just to tell me you want things and that it doesn't matter what I write. That's not really what I'd call a conversation. Have a nice day.

It's even less about you.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Female Link? Broke. Linkle? Hell no. Playable Zelda? Yes please.

In fact, I theorized with a few friends that the reason Zelda has short hair in this game is to make it easier/less wonky to animate her.

That said, I really don't know how I feel about this Zelda in particular being playable.
Unlike previous Zeldas, who were, at the very least, at peace with their role in the events - which often included fighting -, this Zelda in particular wanted none of that "ancient prophecy" bs. The entire point of her arc in BotW is her coming to terms with her failings to fulfill the prophecy, the very role that is imposed on her by Ganon's return. She's not a fighter and that's alright. I don't know how I feel about seeing that same Zelda fight. Maybe they can come up with ways to really differentiate her from Link if she does turn out to be playable.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First of all you just chimed in to a question I asked someone that was related to them thinking Zelda would talk in the new game and Link wouldn't if he were the protagonist. So we didn't really have a conversation about the topic I thought we would, because I thought you were that other person. If you don't care about my posts, then please just stop responsing all together. Bye.
Now hold on. I didn't say I didn't care about your posts. I said I didn't care about the rest of your post. You were attempting to assert that i needed a qualifier to be more interested in playing a girl than I would be a guy. I don't. I don't need to fight your pedantry to assert a right to feel this way. The fact of the matter is that I'm more interested in playing a woman in any given video game than I am a man. I don't need to justify that to you.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
What about Game Awards? They showed Botw 3 times there. Think we could see a bigger trailer of this?
Hmm, maybe. That's also the general timeframe for the final Smash DLC character to be announced; I'd be a bit surprised to get both. That is an audience that Zelda would resonate well with though, I'll give you that.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Like I said when the trailer launched, her character model and clothing are way too similar to Links for it to just be a coincidence. It definitely looks like she was programmed to wear the same armor as him. I'm pretty comfortable putting my name in the "She will be playable" hat.

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
It's about better representation and cutting out the poor middleground of attempting to make Link as androgynous as possible.

I don't think he somewhat androgynous look has anything to do with being a middle ground. It largely the natural outgrowth of his look in OoT which was made to be what the artist's wife thought was hot. and he's no more then most androgynous Bishōnens which are made to be sexy.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok. I didn't care about the rest of your post either.

I never told you how to feel a certain way nor to justify it. I just asked for a reasoning. If you say you don't need one, fine. Have a nice day.

Here's the thing: Conversations like these can be extremely tedious, so I cut the bullshit I see in other people's posts so the threads of the discussion we're ACTUALLY having don't get lost. Some people don't like that and don't understand why I'm doing it. It's because doing it the long way is needless and exhausting, and you're not owed that from me.

The male protagonist as the default is something nobody ever has to justify; it should be the same with a female protagonist simply existing. That is why I'm not biting with your argument. To proceed with the argument grants the very conceit that I'm trying to defeat. You can hate that if you want. But it's the way it is.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
You said Zelda would be more interesting because you just assumed she would talk and Link wouldn't if he was the main protag, because Zelda already talks in BotW. I don't get where that assumption is coming from.
  • Zelda talks in BotW.
  • Game is a direct sequel to BotW.
  • We see the very same Link and Zelda from BotW in this teaser for the sequel.
You put 2 and 2 together and you get... 10 somehow? Lol I'm done with you here because I don't even know what you're arguing anymore.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's about better representation and cutting out the poor middleground of attempting to make Link as androgynous as possible.
This is what I wrote a few posts ago:
Don't get me wrong, the best case scenario for me would be a system like in the new Luigi's mansion where you have to swap between Link and Zelda freely to solve puzzles and such. And then have it be a two player co-op if you want to play with someone else.

Most people would be happy about that I think. Link has always been pretty androgynous.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
I hope we get to play as both. I love me some Link, but Zelda would be rad and absolutely deserves the spotlight.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong, the best case scenario for me would be a system like in the new Luigi's mansion where you have to swap between Link and Zelda freely to solve puzzles and such. And then have it be a two player co-op if you want to play with someone else.

Most people would be happy about that I think. Link has always been pretty androgynous.

Your opinion is a valid one but I struggle to understand why you can't understand people wanting to play as Zelda.

As far as Link being androgynous I don't really understand the relevance.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think he somewhat androgynous look has anything to do with being a middle ground.
That's literally the reason why he looks the way he does in BOTW.
"Back during the Ocarina of Time days, I wanted Link to be gender neutral. I wanted the player to think 'Maybe Link is a boy or a girl.' If you saw Link as a guy, he'd have more of a feminine touch. Or vice versa, if you related to Link as a girl, it was with more of a masculine aspect. I really wanted the designer to encompass more of a gender-neutral figure. So I've always thought that for either female or male players, I wanted them to be able to relate to Link."
"During the development of Twilight Princess, I went a different route and created a version of Link that was more masculine. But after Twilight Princess I went back to the drawing board and decided Link should be a more gender-neutral character. Hence I created the version of Link that you see in Breath of the Wild.

That would be great if Zelda actually has a role other than being a damsel this time. Pls Nintendo.

I'm saying they pushed it further than ever with BOTW.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope there is optional co-op, but I hope character swapping isn't a major mechanic in single player. That isn't something I find very enjoyable. If you can just choose which one to play, that's more than great though.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Your opinion is a valid one but I struggle to understand why you can't understand people wanting to play as Zelda.

As far as Link being androgynous I don't really understand the relevance.
I get wanting to play as Zelda, I don't get how it's inherently better than playing as Link. Or why Link is somehow the only one where this is brought up again and again. You'd not even have to change the appearence of Master Chief, just his voice, and we would have a female Master Chief. Nobody ever asked for that for some reason. I have at least never seen discussion about it. Like, if it happens, cool. I'd be down with that. But saying it's more interesting or even demanding to get it done is something I don't really get.

As to your second point, me neither. I didn't bring it up.

ZSeibar

Nov 2, 2017
I have zero expectations. The fact that Aonuma seems confused about people wanting to play as Zelda says it all.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
You'd not even have to change the appearence of Master Chief, just his voice, and we would have a female Master Chief. Nobody ever asked for that for some reason.

Its a slightly different audience, but regardless Halo has let you play as a woman in multiplayer since 3 and as a protagonist in Reach.

That you don't understand why women would want to play as Zelda, and would find that experience inherently more satisfying than as Link, feels like you're playing devils advocate for the sake of it.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I will settle with Zelda not getting kidnapped again.... 🙃 God this series sets a low bar with its title character.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been burned so many times on this ("Well if Zelda's the protag what's Link going to do lolol") that I have zero faith that this will actually happen.

But Zelda being the protag would turn this game from a "Eh, I'll buy the game someday" to "DAY FUCKING ONE!"

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
  • Zelda talks in BotW.
  • Game is a direct sequel to BotW.
  • We see the very same Link and Zelda from BotW in this teaser for the sequel.
You put 2 and 2 together and you get... 10 somehow? Lol I'm done with you here because I don't even know what you're arguing anymore.
What I'm saying is that just because Zelda talks in BotW doesn't automatically mean she would talk as the main protag in BotW2 and Link wouldn't. What I'm saying is that your specific 2 and 2 not necessarily make 4, yes. The main protag has always been silent, which means that there is a high chance that if we get Zelda, she could be silent as well. And if the main protag happens to talk, it's regardless of whether they have been talking in BotW or not.
Your "Zelda = interesting because she talked in BotW" and "Link = boring because he didn't" (that's how I understood your conclusion) is a fallacy.

But sure, be done with me then lol.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Your "Zelda = interesting because she talked in BotW" and "Link = boring because he didn't", as I understood your conclusion, is a fallacy.
How is it a fallacy when it is my opinion? I never found Link interesting in BotW, it was jarring seeing him nodding like an idiot while Urbosa and Revali showed a lot more personality through their lines. Zelda talking during interactions and being more expressive due to her speech would immediately make her a more interesting character to play as, for me. FOR. ME. And again because somehow it wasn't clear the first time: I'm not talking about what Aonuma and team will do, I'm freaking talking about what I wish they'd do if Zelda were playable. Can't believe I had to say that again.
Anyway this is my opinion and it's not a fallacy. I'm arguing something and you're saying things that don't even make sense or are outright wrong, that's why I'm done.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I really hope it's playable, not the least because it will make Aonuma look like a massive asshole if she isn't. :/ And I also really hope she's not made into a less capable character than Link if not a straight playable damsel like RE2 Sherry / RE4 Ashley, because frankly I wouldn't put that past Nintendo, either.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care if they make Zelda playable or not, but I'm sure she will be playable in this game, probably on some kind of coop stuff. That would be awesome.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, maybe. That's also the general timeframe for the final Smash DLC character to be announced; I'd be a bit surprised to get both. That is an audience that Zelda would resonate well with though, I'll give you that.
Hopefully Nintendo echoes their 2017 TGA presence more than their 2018 one this year.

In 2017 we got Bayo 1 and 2 Remasters, Bayo 3 and Champions Ballad trailer and shadowdrop

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
What I'm saying is that just because Zelda talks in BotW doesn't automatically mean she would talk as the main protag in BotW2 and Link wouldn't. What I'm saying is that your specific 2 and 2 not necessarily make 4, yes. The main protag has always been silent, which means that there is a high chance that if we get Zelda, she could be silent as well. And if the main protag happens to talk, it's regardless of whether they have been talking in BotW or not.
Your "Zelda = interesting because she talked in BotW" and "Link = boring because he didn't" (that's how I understood your conclusion) is a fallacy.

But sure, be done with me then lol.

Counterpoint: Link (well, Links, all three of them) are silent in Hyrule Warriors, while the other playable characters are not. Obviously BotW2 doesn't have to follow the same pattern, but Link being silent seems to be pretty much a part of his character, independent of playable status.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its a slightly different audience, but regardless Halo has let you play as a woman in multiplayer since 3 and as a protagonist in Reach.

That you don't understand why women would want to play as Zelda, and would find that experience inherently more satisfying than as Link, feels like you're playing devils advocate for the sake of it.
I understand women wanting to play as Zelda. I understand that everyone wants to play as what they want. I just don't understand why it's that important to some people. Like their enjoyment of the game hinges on it. In a series that had a male character for 30+ years. It certainly feels like I've been arguing different people and slightly different points. I'd rather go to sleep now anyway.
How is it a fallacy when it is my opinion? I never found Link interesting in BotW, it was jarring seeing him nodding like an idiot while Urbosa and Revali showed a lot more personality through their lines. Zelda talking during interactions and being more expressive due to her speech would immediately maker her a more interesting character to play as, for me. FOR. ME. It's my opinion, it's not a fallacy. I'm arguing something and you're saying things that don't even make sense or are outright wrong, that's why I'm done.
The fallacy is that you assume Zelda would talk as a MC in BotW2 because she did in BotW and Link wouldn't because he didn't. Of course her talking and being more expressive in BotW2 would make her more interesting than Link from BotW. I'm not saying you can't have that opinion, I even agree with you. What I'm saying is that you can't know whether Zelda would talk in BotW2 if she was the MC. All MCs have been silent so far.

You aren't actually reading what I'm writing lol. You aren't really arguing outside telling me I'm not making sense when I clearly am. It's ok, have a nice day.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I don't care if they make Zelda playable or not, but I'm sure she will be playable in this game, probably on some kind of coop stuff. That would be awesome.
That'd be terrible. Either go all the way and finally make her the protagonist of the game in this sequel, or at least the character you play with the most during the game, or don't half-ass it by giving us this "Well, you'll be playing mainly as Link, but here, you can have Zelda as 2P!". Plus co-op is the last thing I'd want in this kind of game, I'd rather them focus on fixing the stuff that they got wrong in the first game.

Edit: Holy fuck I'm really talking to a wall as per the above post.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Or why Link is somehow the only one where this is brought up again and again.

People always say this lol

The reason this is always an ongoing discussion as opposed to Master Chief, Mario, etc. is because the series has a lore and IRL history that could easily accomodate a female Link/playable Zelda if the developers wanted to. People that pushback against female protagonists often to love to use the excuse of it needing to be justified, well, when it comes to The Legend of Zelda, it has that in spades. And more specifically for Zelda, her damn name is in the title, so it's a particular sore spot for people that she hasn't at the very least gotten a meatier role in all this time given her status and powers she normally has access to.

Sounds about right.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That'd be terrible. Either go all the way and finally make her the protagonist of the game in this sequel, or at least the character you play with the most during the game, or don't half-ass it by giving us this "Well, you'll be playing mainly as Link, but here, you can have Zelda as 2P!". Plus co-op is the last thing I'd want in this kind of game, I'd rather them focus on fixing the stuff that they got wrong in the first game.
What about something like Resident Evil Zero? I was thinking on something like that, coop progression.
And please forget about Zelda being the protagonist, that is not happening.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People always say this lol

The reason this is always an ongoing discussion as opposed to Master Chief, Mario, etc. is because the series has a lore and IRL history that could easily accomodate a female Link/playable Zelda if the developers wanted to. People that pushback against female protagonists often to love to use the excuse of it needing to be justified, well, when it comes to The Legend of Zelda, it has that in spades. And more specifically for Zelda, her damn name is in the title, so it's a particular sore spot for people that she hasn't at the very least gotten a meatier role in all this time given her status and powers she normally has access to.

Sounds about right.

They could even just create a new spoke of the timeline for lady link being the main link. It's easy to create narrative reasons with the same level of justification everything else has already; people pretend that there must be a higher bar for the existance of women. I woooooooooooooonder why that might be.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
What about something like Resident Evil Zero? I was thinking on something like that, coop progression.
And please forget about Zelda being the protagonist, that is not happening.
I haven't played RE Zero so I can't comment on that.
About Zelda as MC, it should totally happen and as I said above, I wish it'd happen, I don't mean that I expect the team to do it.
They could even just create a new spoke of the timeline for lady link being the main link. It's easy to create narrative reasons with the same level of justification everything else has already; people pretend that there must be a higher bar for the existance of women. I woooooooooooooonder why that might be.
Right? It's very easy to tell when some people don't like the idea of a female character somehow being the protagonist in an established series, even when this so-called "justification" ain't really necessary, or is easily applied.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
If we are playing on the same map as BoTW, I'd love a GTAV mechanic where you can play as Link on one part of the map, And Zelda on a different area of the map. Make certain shrines or dungeons exclusive to a specific character or something.

So excited we don't have to wait 5-6 years for a full fledged Zelda.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm not holding out any kind of hope based on this or anything else we've seen. I'll believe when they actually say it and show it. I would really love for them to do it though. Go big and make her the sole playable character, no half measures. Co-op has some interesting gameplay possibilities, even for solo-players, but I'd care and prefer they just put all their attention on Zelda as the lead and crafting things around just her and simply just the message that would send and feeling it would be to just play as her.