• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like constantly sucking anything into yours lungs besides oxygen is a bad thing. Who knew?

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
only 70 more deaths this year to go until vaping is as dangerous as being around a lawnmower

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Vape culture got out of control and this is the result. It's too bad because I think vaping with safe substances and devices is nothing that should be frowned upon but there needs to be more regulation.

(I don't vape at all btw)

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
What are they typically smoking up?

I guess like most have said in this thread anything by regular ass air is probably bad for your lungs.

The liquid has nicotine, additives for flavoring and a medium, either propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin, which is the bulk of the product.

That's the theory anyway, vape products are poorly regulated and the industry is very casual so who knows...

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
There is no doubt in my mind that my mother would now have emphysema or lung cancer if she didn't start smoking electronic cigarettes.

So as much as I'm open to the idea that it may cause problems, it's still better...and for stubborn people, that's something.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
and these are almost certainly some tainted, off-market cartridge people were buying from unknown sources.

while there is that possibility... where they were using this bad shit... because vapes have been on the market for what? 15 years?

it's also true there could also be the misdiagnosis as well where things haven't been linked to vaping when they should have.

but having this immediate jump in these cases and all being linked to vaping at once certainly paints the picture of likely off-market shit instead of vaping itself.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
while there is that possibility... where they were using this bad shit... because vapes have been on the market for what? 15 years?

it's also true there could also be the misdiagnosis as well where things haven't been linked to vaping when they should have.

but having this immediate jump in these cases and all being linked to vaping at once certainly paints the picture of likely off-market shit instead of vaping itself.

One of the articles mentioned that the doctors said the symptoms resemble a rare form of pneumonia that is triggered by breathing mineral oil.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
When people vape they're usually inhaling the same stuff that's in artificially flavored coffee.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My immediate thought was that it was a bootleg THC cartridge, but who knows.

I stopped using THC carts a few months ago. Got one that burned my throat every time I hit it, and left me feeling hungover after a session. Think I got some bootleg trash. I'm in VA, so I was getting it from a source in DC that I thought was trustworthy. I think he legitimately didn't know he had gotten bootlegs. They were mockups of a legit brand, Wolfpack.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If this gets scientifically proven to be awful for health and banned then good. Less smelly times waiting for public transport. See so many city people obsessed with the stuff who like sharing it with the rest of us non-smokers. At least cigarette smokers and most weed smokers tend to use smoking areas more. Bleh. Hate the chemical fumes smell.

Oct 27, 2017
My immediate thought was that it was a bootleg THC cartridge, but who knows.

I stopped using THC carts a few months ago. Got one that burned my throat every time I hit it, and left me feeling hungover after a session. Think I got some bootleg trash. I'm in VA, so I was getting it from a source in DC that I thought was trustworthy. I think he legitimately didn't know he had gotten bootlegs. They were mockups of a legit brand, Wolfpack.
the ones I have right now that I immediately stopped using are TKO bootlegs

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Glad you were able to identify that they weren't legit. I didn't know that bootleg carts were a thing when I first started vaping THC. More likely than not, I've burned through a bootleg. Until my state gets medical later this year, I'm sticking to flower.
I actually had no idea until I read the articles about the hospitalizations and the guy said the extract looked "pee colored". I looked at mine to see that it fit that descriptor - it did - so I searched the name of the cart and the 2 out of the 3 first results were about bootlegs.

it's exactly the first picture of the "fake" cart. had I known I would have told the guy no thanks

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Of course.

...but it's better than inhaling cigarette smoke, which is why most people start doing it.
Except.... We don't know this because we have decades of cigarettes studies, and we only have a couple years worth of vape ones. Also as others have said, there is a lot of variation in what a "vape" can be. It could be certain flavoring or color additives that are the problem, the levels of nicotine, thc, etc or a mix of any or all of the above.

And of course we don't know if 20 years from now, any form consistent hot vapor applied directly to the lungs could be just as bad or worse.

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
This makes me nervous considering I just bought a dry herb vape for weed at Tokyo Smoke in Toronto. I'm still pretty new to using that vape in general but this is definitely off putting. Though I think the article mentioned THC cartridges, so I'm not sure if it's the same thing.

I got that as an alternative to using paper because I hate the burning sensation when I smoke a spliff.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except.... We don't know this because we have decades of cigarettes studies, and we only have a couple years worth of vape ones. Also as others have said, there is a lot of variation in what a "vape" can be. It could be certain flavoring or color additives that are the problem, the levels of nicotine, thc, etc or a mix of any or all of the above.

And of course we don't know if 20 years from now, any form consistent hot vapor applied directly to the lungs could be just as bad or worse.
It's difficult to imagine it being worse. Every medical assessment I've seen says basically that. Cigarette smoke is absolutely terrible for you.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really trying to commit to quitting at the end of the year. My nic level is down to 3mg, so I'm confident I'll be done.

I never smoked cigarettes so maybe that helps.

Inhaling anything besides air obviously isn't ideal and I've never tried to believe otherwise.

Oct 27, 2017
Since this is likely linked to vaping THC (as the serious complications in other patients were) I almost wonder if the severity of coughing caused by dabbing could be the culprit.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This makes me nervous considering I just bought a dry herb vape for weed at Tokyo Smoke in Toronto. I'm still pretty new to using that vape in general but this is definitely off putting. Though I think the article mentioned THC cartridges, so I'm not sure if it's the same thing.

I got that as an alternative to using paper because I hate the burning sensation when I smoke a spliff.
You're good. The scary thing about vape carts is how prevalent bootlegs are. You're just using flower, right? Very different methods.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vaping weed oil wouldn't cause this, more details need to come out

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck bootleg THC carts, it's all synthetic shit ("spice") that can really fuck you up but the government refuses to regulate it (UK).

Oct 27, 2017
This article is hilariously vague. I mean it's clearly just a bad batch of knockoff "THC" cartomizers filled with shitty pesticide laced synthetic weed suspended in some sort of oily or lipid filled substance but that's not as scary as being like FIRST VAPING DEATH omg warn your friends. Vaping PG/VG/nicotine isn't going scar your lungs overnight to the point you wake up intubated. This is clearly down to people vaping extracts of questionable nature and source

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I hope we here in IL don't spin this back to marijuana somehow, especially after legalizing it for next year.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Illinois and my bootleg shit was definitely getting sold around here for sure. The carts o was seeing were suspect as hell. I always get my stuff from California at a dispensary when I am there. This sounds like it might be something bootleg going around.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
This article is hilariously vague. I mean it's clearly just a bad batch of knockoff "THC" cartomizers filled with shitty pesticide laced synthetic weed suspended in some sort of oily or lipid filled substance but that's not as scary as being like FIRST VAPING DEATH omg warn your friends. Vaping PG/VG/nicotine isn't going scar your lungs overnight to the point you wake up intubated. This is clearly down to people vaping extracts of questionable nature and source
All of the articles on this are vague. And some contradict others by saying some of the 195 people who have become ill from vaping were vaping THC carts. Other articles say all people who recently got sick were vaping a mix of products. Which is it?

Why do they never release brand names or types of cartridges?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
They really need to release info ASAP on what the guy was using, they should have gotten that out there already.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm really trying to commit to quitting at the end of the year. My nic level is down to 3mg, so I'm confident I'll be done.
Good luck dude. I started mixing my own, I cut 3mg with 0mg so I'm getting ~1.5mg. Cuttwood had a 1.5mg premade but they stopped making it, I should have stopped then haha

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
imagine living through decades of anti-smoking propaganda but then falling for Big Tobacco's latest fancy millenial marketing trick: cotton candy apple pie smoke.
giving money to groups that want to kill you and think youre an idiot.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck dude. I started mixing my own, I cut 3mg with 0mg so I'm getting ~1.5mg. Cuttwood had a 1.5mg premade but they stopped making it, I should have stopped then haha
Thanks, good luck to you as well.

(Cutwood is my favorite stuff too)

imagine living through decades of anti-smoking propaganda but then falling for Big Tobacco's latest fancy millenial marketing trick: cotton candy apple pie smoke.
giving money to groups that want to kill you and think youre an idiot.
Wow dude you're so cool, people with addictive vices are just so dumb amirite