• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Was surprised my ps5 notified me this game got a patch.
Checked the settings and good ole NTSC is listed!! It plays soooo much better.
I'm already 40% through my PAL game though and the save file doesnt work with NTSC :(

Not sure if any other titles have been updated as I only have Ape Escape and Kurushi installed on my console (the latter still doesnt have NTSC option
I'm assuming the patch is live everywhere, if not for reference im in Australia

7nASCc.gif
tumblr_oo74dygqU11qjztgpo1_r1_400.gif

Locust101

May 15, 2022
I mean, its nice that they added the option but considering ape escape 2 outright doesnt function right on ps5 (as do a lot of the ps2 games on premium) i question their priorities lol

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I said I'd buy it when it got patched so I will. Thanks for the heads up.

This'll be the next game I play after Pokemon. I've been wanting to replay this for years now.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Does the NTSC version work properly or is it glitched like Syphon Filter?

Locust101

May 15, 2022
What else doesnt work for ps2? I'm only aware of Ape Escape 2 and Okage
Ive only tried 4 ps2 games on ps5. Jak, primal, ape escape 2, and manhunt (latter not on premium). Jaks the only that works right (although the emulator is much worse than the new ps1 emulator). Ape escape and manhunt were a mess while primal has constant graphically issues albeit less so.

Havent tried okami but the ps2 emulation needs more work than the ps1 one from my experience. Resolution is very low vs the ps1's 1440p and the framerates arent the best.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me the difference is night and day. No input lag and feels so much smoother. Wonder what happened with Siphon Filter 2 but Ape Escape feels amazing when I switched to NTSC

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, nothing else seems like it. Downloaded and tried Tekken, kurushi, wild arms, toy story and everybody golf. Nadda yet. It's kiiiiiinda encouraging they updated Ape Escape. And I can only hope they're trying to fix this and will hopefully add more games soon

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
That's pathetic but it made my laugh.
It kind of is.

In Europe, some games have many versions depending on the number of regions they were released in and/or languages, and they are all included in the same package (it picks one up automatically based on your console region).

So they pretty much added the ntsc version to the package and called it a day, instead of, you know, using the perfectly functional version already released in the us store.

Last edited:

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Siphon Filter 1 got a NTSC patch but like 2, NTSC feels sluggish, more so than PAL. Give that Ape Escape feels really good, I'd say there's an issue with Siphon Filter in general?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy this was fixed and will be buying it immediately, but is the PS1 classics division literally being run by one person? How did it take months to upload this region's version?!

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy this was fixed and will be buying it immediately, but is the PS1 classics division literally being run by one person? How did it take months to upload this region's version?!

It could be one person lol Sony actually put up job listings a little while back for a Classics Engineer. So seems they're trying to ramp up the department.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
It could be one person lol Sony actually put up job listings a little while back for a Classics Engineer. So seems they're trying to ramp up the department.
How can you doubt their commitment, when they literally DOUBLED the department?!

No, this is good to see. Now, I'm just.. confused.. what's happening in the OP gifs...

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Any idea if it's botched like the Syphon Filter NTSC version or not? Been holding off on this until the NTSC version was made available.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea if it's botched like the Syphon Filter NTSC version or not? Been holding off on this until the NTSC version was made available.

Nope, it's not botched at all. Feels bloody good switching from PAL to NTSC. Both Siphon Filter 1 and 2 has issues for some reason but Ape Escape is good.

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
I've already played through the PAL version so I'm not likely to play it again any time soon, but does the game switch the voice dubbing between the UK & US versions now, or is this patch just framerate stuff?

If Syphon Filter is still broken I might as well get it over with and play the PAL version.

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh, good to see these are rolling out.

Now, Sony, let's get the library where it needs to be. I own a couple of PSOne classics from the PS3 era that I'd like to enjoy on PS5.

Primarily: Metal Gear Solid.

Hopefully the RE1 Director's Cut gets updates soon.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
If only we could get the NTSC version of Ape Escape 2, lol. I'm guessing Sony doesn't want to pay whatever extra amount they need to pay for the union voicework used in that version preventing it from ever being re-released.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Ok, I've tried Ape Escape and Syphon Filter 1 on PS5 (still have to try on PS4) and this is the differences compared to my latest report:

Before the latest patch:

Syphon Filter 1 PS4/PS5: it has vibrations but no analog controls (you get d-pad emulation instead)
Ape Escape PS4/PS5: it has vibrations and analog controls but the analog inputs are busted

After the latest patch (1.000.0002):

Syphon Filter 1 PS5: it has vibrations, it support the US version (that seems to run fine) and now the game support analog controls!
Ape Escape PS5
: it has vibrations and analog controls but the analog inputs are still a bit busted, but better than before.

What's better in therms of controls? Well, when you push the sticks on the right side of the X axis it actually works now, both on left and right stick.
The inputs itself are still miles away to the smoothness of the original game, by quoting my old report:

"the movements are stuttery and not smooth, so when you walk and rotate the character you have notched movements. This is the same for weapons on right stick."

You can notice that when you try to walk forward and even a little stick movement makes Spike change instantly direction (even if slightly), which makes difficult to walk exactly straight.

This is still the case on version 1.000.002.

There is the other deadzone issue as well but go read my old report for more info. I doubt that they will ever tackle that since it's something that applies on any PS1/PS2 game (PS3 as well actually) due to how the DualShock sticks are made.

Regarding the game speed, I've done a fast comparison with DuckStation and it seems fine and not slowed down like US version in EU release like Syphon Filter 2, so surely a good news.

I've encountered annoying stuttering issues tho that aren't present on DuckStation, I don't know if those stutters are present on the US version available on the US store as well tho.

Another annoyance is that the game doesn't remember the region, so it boot on EU version and you have to change to US every time you start the game.
EDIT: I was wrong on this, I guess by testing many times I got things mixed up, it actually remember the last selected region for both Ape Escape and Syphon Filter 1 just like Syphon Filter 2, my bad ^^

Saying that, it's surely an improvement, now Ape Escape is actually playable, but still not something that I would call competent tho (or advice as the best way to play it, at all).

p.s. I've tested Syphon Filter 2 and Toy Story 2 as well and still no patch for change the region or fixing the game issues like the lack of analog controls on both games or the US version in the EU release of SF2 that's slowed down.

Last edited:

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Another annoyance is that the game doesn't remember the region, so it boot on EU version and you have to change to US every time you start the game.

Thanks for your testing.

Is your console set to a language other than English? If it is I wonder if the original regional selector (which automatically loaded one of the localised PAL versions) is conflicting with or overriding the new PAL/NTSC switcher. My system is set to English and it remembers and automatically loads whichever version of the game I last played.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
:OOOOO
Amazing, finally!! 😭
Hopefully Resident Evil is next, those were the only two I bought so far.

SonySilly

Dec 3, 2022
Am I the only one that couldn't get used to the NTSC voices? I always fondly remember the PAL voices. Good to see NTSC is working now though.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Thanks for your testing.

Is your console set to a language other than English? If it is I wonder if the original regional selector (which automatically loaded one of the localised PAL versions) is conflicting with or overriding the new PAL/NTSC switcher. My system is set to English and it remembers and automatically loads whichever version of the game I last played.
Yeah, I was wrong on this, I guess by testing many times I got things mixed up, it actually remember the last selected region for both Ape Escape and Syphon Filter 1 just like Syphon Filter 2, my bad ^^

I've done some video of AE and SF1 and gonna compare to DuckStation just to be sure, and investigate better those AE stutters.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of incredible how Sony went "No, no, we will fix it, promise" to calm down any outrage and then it took, what, three months now to patch one if the games while they continued to take (a lot of) money for the service. Smart way to get out of the news cycle without actually having to do much.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Am I the only one that couldn't get used to the NTSC voices? I always fondly remember the PAL voices. Good to see NTSC is working now though.

Yeah I could never get used to it watching it on YT, but my GOD the performance difference between PAL and NTSC is absolutely crazy to see in real time on a flip. I haven't played many NTSC PS1 games since this problem has plagued us for decades, wish we could've used PAL voices but I never expected that.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was wrong on this, I guess by testing many times I got things mixed up, it actually remember the last selected region for both Ape Escape and Syphon Filter 1 just like Syphon Filter 2, my bad ^^

I've done some video of AE and SF1 and gonna compare to DuckStation just to be sure, and investigate better those AE stutters.

I've been playing through these over the last day I started to notice the version was switching back to PAL too. It's a bit tricky to identify exactly what is causing it, but I think something has been broken with how the games are saving their emulator configuration. It seems to affect Syphon Filter 2 and the two recently patched games.
  • If I play a game and the only change I make to the settings is to change region to NTSC then it will remember this setting if I start the same game again in future.
  • As soon as I launch any other PS1 game it would cause this setting to revert to PAL.
I then noticed if you change some of the other settings like the Visual Presets or the Video Aspect Ratio and load the game again then it initially retains the setting but as soon as you access the in-game emulator menu it resets those settings to default. (I used the Native Resolution aspect ratio here to emphasise the point):

View: https://youtu.be/mB-F90ejGvU

It will do this every time you start the game so even though the interface is suggesting the settings have been reset to default it isn't actually saving those settings (unless you then go into the settings again and change them to something else yourself).

Incidentally by configuring these two settings it seems to have fixed the region reverting back to PAL issue. After doing the above test I went back into each setting and manually set them back to default and now the game starts up in NTSC every time and automatically displays using the default settings.

So my guess would be something has been more broadly broken in how this updated version of the emulator is saving and loading its configuration settings and by playing around as explained above trying to test what's going on I've manged to inadvertently get my settings in to a state where it's now remembering what region I want to use (the second issue also affects the US version of Syphon Filter 2 so not just versions released with the NTSC/PAL swap, but does not affect original currently un-patched titles like Resident Evil 1).

The Visual Presets and Video Aspect Ratio options seem to be permanently broken though - if you do want to use them you have to re-apply them after accessing the emulator menu each time you start the game (I'm guessing not many people use them for this to have not been noticed yet).

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of incredible how Sony went "No, no, we will fix it, promise" to calm down any outrage and then it took, what, three months now to patch one if the games while they continued to take (a lot of) money for the service. Smart way to get out of the news cycle without actually having to do much.

It's been 6 months since it launched and almost 6 months since they said they would fix it. 6 fucking months for 2 games and a botched one.