• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
apevcjy2.png

$14.99 (Steam | Switch | GOG | Humble)
https://www.apeout.com/

APE OUT is a wildly intense and colorfully stylized smash 'em up about primal escape, rhythmic violence, and frenetic jazz. Build up nearly unstoppable momentum and use your captors as both weapons and shields to crush everyone on your procedurally generated path to freedom.

Stylish Escape: Embrace bold colors and a dazzling perspective as you rush through tight corridors, open areas, and twisting labyrinths on a mad dash for freedom. Overcome all manner of human opposition, nefarious traps, and breakable obstacles to find each exit and escape captivity.

Grab and Smash: Unleash your primal instincts and incredible strength to overpower your captors. Hold them steady to create a human shield, smash their feeble bodies into walls, or throw one into another in a violent explosion of humanity.

Dynamic Soundtrack: Find your rhythm in the chaos as a dynamic soundtrack of drums, cymbals, and decapitations drive the action to the edge of mayhem.

ape29akvv.png

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/02/28/ape-out-review/
This white hot simplicity burns through the entire game: your purpose is clear, your controls are move, grab and smash, and the awful vignettes of screaming primate exploding human blood balloons are rendered in simple silhouettes and blocks of colour. Every screenshot could be framed and hung on the wall, provided you were the interior decorator of the damned, because Ape Out is extremely, joyously violent. But it's okay, because these men kidnapped a gorilla and locked it in a confined space, so they brought it on themselves.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/02/28/ape-out-review
Ape Out is an intoxicating fusion of percussion and destruction that oozes style from every angle. Its procedurally built levels tend to blend into one another a bit but its bloody rampages are filled with nuance. Beneath the simple controls is depth that's kept me returning for days after successfully completing the epilogue. Gorgeous and compulsive, if this '50s-inspired, jazz-fueled jaunt is the future of gorilla warfare, the team behind Ape Out can make a monkey out of me anytime.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/ape_out
The Nintendo eShop would be a considerably more exciting and interesting place if it were packed full of games like Ape Out, it's a refreshingly original experience that more than deserves a place in any Switch owner's library. Difficult, frenetic gameplay, a strong art direction, and an even stronger jazz drum soundtrack make this the sort of memorable game that you'll likely keep coming back to over and over for another few runs at the arcade mode. We'd give Ape Out a strong recommendation to anyone looking for a distinct and unforgettable game for their Switch collection; it's a bit of an acquired taste, but this is well worth your time.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-ape-out-544188.phtml
A marvelous example of what can be done when talented individuals think outside of the box. Ape Outfeatures challenging - occasionally annoying - but wholly addictive gameplay, quirky and attractive visuals awash with colour, all backed with a breathless score. This odd release is proof positive that creativity in gaming remains alive and well. Go Ape.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/28/ape-review-gorilla-warfare-8781648/
A fantastically entertaining action game that combines gameplay, visuals, and audio into an irresistible orgy of violence and… improvisational jazz.

https://www.gameinformer.com/review/ape-out/a-new-kind-of-ape-escape
I played through Ape Out in single sitting (which took about two and a half hours), and I thought it was the perfect length for this sort of experience. The campaign levels also have arcade-mode and hard-mode variants for those who want to test their mettle as a fragile gorilla, so there's plenty of ape-smashing content if you can't get enough. Ape Out gloriously celebrates its simple, splattery premise with creative gameplay that I can't wait to return to in the near future.

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/col...s-a-soundscape-worthy-of-smashing-1203150773/
Such is the nature of "Ape Out." Its excellence is so stark and striking that it flows from its every pore, threatening to overwhelm your very senses at its more harried moments. This is due in large part to the game's reliance on droves of weak, gun-toting enemies, who can take you apart before you can even react if you roam out in the open. Your ape's hairy hide can take three bullets before he keels over, but that's not much when you have a dozen or so guards in every room drawing a bead on you. Carefully testing each angle before you spring out into an open space can be effective, but since your ape requires a bit of runway to stride up to full speed, it's often advantageous to just keep lumbering and smashing until you hit an immovable mob. Thus, you very quickly learn that this is just as much a game of avoidance and calculated risk than all-out attack, where turning around and galloping down an adjacent corridor is often far preferable to trying to swing it out against the half-dozen brutes with shotguns blocking your path.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
I am loving me this game. I really find myself getting into a rhythm as the levels progress, and it feels great. A very simple idea done so very well.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I am loving me this game. I really find myself getting into a rhythm as the levels progress, and it feels great. A very simple idea done so very well.
Agreed. The gameplay has a frantic wild rhythm to it that really accentuates the jazzy beat. Every moment is measuring risk vs reward, since enemies are your guns and shields, so deciding when to charge in and grab fools versus when to disappear around a corner is a second-by-second decision.

I'm also impressed by the AI. It's simple but effective, really adds to the improvisational feel of the gameplay. Knowing to run away from an explosive, pausing their shooting and backing up after you ricochet a few shots with a door, and so on.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I cannot fully convey my massive disappointment that this is not a new Ape Escape game on the Switch named Ape Out. I've never clicked a link on this site so quickly only to be so heartbroken.

Edit: The previous title was:

Ape Out |OT| Ape Escape

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect title now. I know they delayed it to smooth out performance but I still gotta ask...does the switch version perform ok? On par with PC?

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot fully convey my massive disappointment that this is not a new Ape Escape game on the Switch named Ape Out. I've never clicked a link on this site so quickly only to be so heartbroken.

Edit: The previous title was:

Ape Out |OT| Ape Escape
Seemed like a good idea at the time. Sorry for that, I hate when that happens to me. Didn't really think that title through

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a string of really short levels like Hotline Miami? The rapid micro-challenge retry structure of Hotline Miami is probably my least favorite thing about it, and if that's not the case here then I'll have to try it out.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I will buy this game but at a discount as I have a huge backlog and should save some money so I cannot justify 20e for 2-3h experience

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, my purchase pretty much lives and dies on how well Switch performs
Perfect title now. I know they delayed it to smooth out performance but I still gotta ask...does the switch version perform ok? On par with PC?

Don't grab and throw the messenger, I have not played the PC version. I've played through a sizable chunk of the levels with no sign of slowdown on the Switch. Just pulled it off the dock and did a few minutes and looked nice and crisp there as well. SUPER unscientific, but for me, the game feels like it is playing as it should.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. The gameplay has a frantic wild rhythm to it that really accentuates the jazzy beat. Every moment is measuring risk vs reward, since enemies are your guns and shields, so deciding when to charge in and grab fools versus when to disappear around a corner is a second-by-second decision.

Well said. It really is that moment to moment decision making that has me enthralled. (Also thanks for OT nice work!)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be a monkey's uncle. Game looks bananas, but now's not the time for monkey business. This is an ape (out of ten) game after all.

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like reviews vary on whether Ape Out gets stale as it goes along, but for what it's worth I found the changes in enemy placement + room layout as the environments change forced me to change up my strategies in subtle but really satisfying ways.

Here's my rather short review btw (short both because it's simple and because I didn't wanna detail too many of the "aha!" moments I had playing through it blind; I think it's worth jumping into without knowing much about it and just feeling your way from there, though keep in mind it's a damn hard game):
https://www.slantmagazine.com/games...-is-a-masterpiece-of-desperate-reactive-play/

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
This game is hard. But in the good way.

I really love the game over screen, it's like "hey, see, you were almost there, you should try again"

Also the dynamic soundtrack is incredible. Did anyone did it before ?

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Downloading now... hope I enjoy it as much as some reviewers!

Edit: amazing OP title

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game is hard. But in the good way.

I really love the game over screen, it's like "hey, see, you were almost there, you should try again"

Also the dynamic soundtrack is incredible. Did anyone did it before ?

In my case it's more "You dumbass, you were RIGHT THERE then you just decided to go off and get lost"