• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
wait...so this DOESNT have cross progression?! Then what is the fucking point? Playing the switch version using crossplay will get you destroyed in seconds with people who have over 120fps. This is crazy that it doesnt have cross progression.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Played a match for the lol and it was crusty af, makes me feel the same way i felt going from current Destiny 2 to Destiny 1 did.

Easy win tho.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Is horizontal gyro controls not working? I can only go up and down with it on

Edit - wait I have to turn it like a steering wheel :/ why isn't it like Doom 2016 or every other gyro control game

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017

Edit - wait I have to turn it like a steering wheel :/ why isn't it like Doom 2016 or every other gyro control game
Yeah, what's weird is that it works fine docked or even worth detached joycons. I'd assume that Panic Button is all over getting that fixed

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
This game is a physical pain to play, literally. The Joy-Cons were never built for FPSes. The R stick is serviceable as a camera stick, but it doesn't give you the level of precision you need for a competitive shooter.

Anyway, the port is what I expected. It's blurry, the framerate is rough, and yeah, if you have any other platform available to you, I'd play it there. Portability is a nonfactor to me when the default controller (Joy-Cons, in this case) are awful. Still, it's full-fat Apex on Switch, and it was worth downloading and playing a few matches just for the novelty.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, what's weird is that it works fine docked or even worth detached joycons. I'd assume that Panic Button is all over getting that fixed

Yeah detached seems better than handheld. They really need to fix this ASAP.

And this game really blurry but I honestly really like the gyro controls a lot when I get it to work like I want. I can't really see a lot of far enemies unless they're fairly close lol but I might be down to play this more than on my XSX if the controls are fixed otherwise I'm dropping this for a bit after playing a few more games.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
The game is starting to grow on me, at least the gyro aiming. It makes it easy to aim. I still can't get over the frame drops. The resolution is feasible, but the frame drops make gun fights extra challenging.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is there supposed to be cross progression? I signed in with me EA account but have none of my progress and unlocks from the PC version.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Haven't tried it yet, but this sounds like a Panic Button Switch port on launch day. Rocket League, Warframe, and Doom are like different games from what they were at launch (of course results vary per publisher support), so I think I'll give it a bit before having a peek out of curiosity.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
won my first game (switch players only), but holy shit this is rough IQ is super soft, frame rate is rough, and controls don't feel hot. some of that is just the nature of the switch, but literally all of that would be forgiven if Respawn got it together and finally released cross progression. without it, this is pretty much a waste of time.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Oof, this game looks and plays rough on Switch. Need that Switch Pro yesterday.

There is always this weird dead zone issue with FPS on Switch.

Yup, it's very obvious. It might just be input lag. I never really played Apex on Xbox or PS but I assume it doesn't have this issue?

I thought maybe it was a settings or deadzone issue but when I checked there's only two deadzone options in small and large and it was defaulted to small so it looks like there's no real way to fix it.

Last edited:

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Why tf is gyro set to steering wheel controls
How could they mess that up

Legitimately baffled by this. I honestly don't see how this could slip past anyone before release.

As for the rest of the game, I guess they did a respectable job but it's just rough all around and I'm not even talking in comparison to the rest of the console versions. I'm kind of okay with the muddy graphics despite the fact that it definitely affects your ability to spot other people but the gyro and the aiming in general is just atrocious, which is even crazier considering how Panic Button themselves managed to completely nail that with their DOOM ports.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah until this gets cross progression I don't see a reason to touch it (for anybody that has any platform other than Switch available to them)

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Ooof, uneven performance, wonky controls, and 30 GB of space required? It's a pass from me.

EDIT: Reading actually only around 20 GB? That's definitely better than 30!

Jun 2, 2019
Downloading. Maybe it's because of my upbringing, but i have no issues with 30 fps. Let's see how this runs

EDIT: No cross progression is a downer though. I've been spoiled by The Witcher 3

Jun 6, 2018
I don't mind the resolution targets here but I don't like that my PC character can't cross over onto switch with the items and skins I've got. It'll be a good game to have on hand for when I'm away I guess

sephghast

Oct 25, 2017
I went into the detailed sensitivity settings and there was a way for me to turn down dead zone to 0%. Weird because on PS5/XSX that's just a normal toggle. It helped.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The log line and legal notice on the Dutch eShop store page are written in Danish. Funny. The description doesn't have this issue though. I wonder what happened there.

Last edited:

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Needs cross progression for me. The resolution and framerate tradeoffs are also pretty harsh for a game as fast as this, even if handheld Apex is a fun concept.

However, I guess their strategy here is just to up the install base and get people without other platform options (of which there are a surprising amount) playing.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Damn 25 gigs... i'm still using internal memory i don't have the space for this

Last edited:

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
Looks & runs like ass. Obviously the Switch is a far weaker device to the platforms Apex was on but at some point the novelty of a modern AAA game running at all on the Switch wears off and you realize there's far better games you could be playing on the Switch

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
More feedback:

- Crossplay voice chat is bugged. Either that or my USB dongle is fried. When I play with Switch players, the communication is fine. When I queue up with other consoles, the voice chat comes in very choppy
- Frame rate is always sub 30 fps. If it was locked, it would be perfect and comparable to playing on xbox one x(60 fps). Fps in training is good, and I really wish the actual battle royale played that well.
- Gyro aiming is good while docked. Makes shooting fun and it's way better than sticks, despite the framerate.

Overall, this game will need a few TLC patches. The game is playable but its hard on the eyes. Resolution is palpable but framerate isn't good at all. I will be going back to my Xbox one X version for sure.

I'm playing with my friend on PS4 and yeah, the voice chat is very annoying.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
So I played a little bit of Apex Legends, and performance is not as bas as people here make it out to be here.

The problem I do have with this game doesn't have anything to do with this port, but just the game design in principle: There's a high barrier of entry for complete newbies, and even as someone who played the PC version I found this to be a big issue.

The issue is that, unlike Counter-Strike and other multiplayer arenas where areas are rather compact, Apex's areas are rather sprawling and it's easy to get lost unless you have someone experienced on your side. The problem is further exacerbated when you have veterans on the opposing teams who have intimate knowledge of the terrain, and you don't...It makes it seem like you're not making any progress after getting killed for the Nth time so early in the game, with 0 kills to boot, not because you're a bad shot, but because you couldn't figure out where they're coming from.

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
Looks & runs like ass. Obviously the Switch is a far weaker device to the platforms Apex was on but at some point the novelty of a modern AAA game running at all on the Switch wears off and you realize there's far better games you could be playing on the Switch
It's definitely starting to feel that way. That pro model can't come soon enough.

D_Reynholm

Mar 18, 2020
Eh, the blur is just...I feel like I am back on my N64

I haven't played this on any other platform so it's not like I am used to it being 4K, but Overwatch on Switch is far (far) easier on the eye.

I will keep at it, but jesus it's hard to look at. Maybe they will patch out the AA like they did The Witcher and DOS2 (both look way better now than at launch).

Jun 17, 2018
Played it for a few minutes and handheld with Joy Cons isn't much fun. Aiming feels very heavy and the Joy Cons just don't lend themselves well to shooters.

Ill give it a go with my Hori Split Pad later today. I'd recommend turning off cross play too, with resolutions as low as this, you'll stand very little chance against snipers on other platforms.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Just tried the training for now. Is there no way to individually set horizontal and vertical stick sens? I like to tone the vertical sens way down since I can use gyro for that.

It's the same problem as MH Rise demo - the game uses the roll axis for horizontal movement both for docked/tabletop mode and handheld mode, which is the "wheel movement". Turning it like a wheel is the norm for controllers, since they'll be parallel to the floor, but for a handheld it becomes a steering wheel.

Handheld mode should use the yaw axis for horizontal movement. It's weird how they have Splatoon 2 as an easy to reach example and still get this wrong.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Popular streamer is streaming this version right now, and he's a semi-pro apex pc player

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Just tried this. I mean it's so bad you can't even spot enemies 😔 Wonder if any up and coming patch might fix the graphics at least a little bit? For now I'll be sticking to series x...

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Much like Overwatch, no cross-progression kills any interest I have in playing on another platform.

Jun 2, 2019
Played the training mission, it felt HEAVY compared to the PC version - wich i guess can be mitigated in the options menu.

Also, steering for horizontal axis gyro movement... WHY!?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Much like Overwatch, no cross-progression kills any interest I have in playing on another platform.
Yeah. Fortnite remains in such heavy rotation for me because I can play with cross-progression on every console, PC and mobile, and each platform gets a lot of time from me. All the compromises on Switch don't bother me much when I mostly treat it as a supplementary experience. Rocket League now as well.

That would be Overwatch and Apex for me too if they had cross-progression (and cross-play for OW). This talk of Apex on Switch playing mediocrely doesn't faze me, I just want a supplementary experience/option on my same progression.

Oblio

Oct 27, 2017
Apex Legends | Nintendo Switch Frame Rate

Apex Legends Graphics Comparison (Switch vs. PS4 Pro)

Last edited:

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They really fucked up the horizonal motion control huh? Well Paladins continues to be the best multiplayer FPS on Switch after all these years.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The horizontal motion control straight up ruined this for me. It looks fine and runs seemingly fine (I only tried the training area, but that ran fine), but it's pretty much unplayable with that horizontal gyro control issue. I don't know how they screwed that up.

I fully expected 30 FPS on Switch, if you were expecting more than that you were deluding yourself.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is borderline unplayable for me in handheld mode. Performance is dreadful, the joycon sticks just do not translate well to the aiming mechanics here, the muddy visuals make it nearly impossible to spot enemies in the distance, it's no good.

I'm going to try docked mode in a bit here with my Pro controller and we'll see how that goes.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Apex Legends | Nintendo Switch Frame Rate

Apex Legends Graphics Comparison (Switch vs. PS4 Pro)

This is borderline unplayable for me in handheld mode. Performance is dreadful, the joycon sticks just do not translate well to the aiming mechanics here, the muddy visuals make it nearly impossible to spot enemies in the distance, it's no good.

I'm going to try docked mode in a bit here with my Pro controller and we'll see how that goes.
Yeah FPS is 30, but there are hitches and frame pacing that I hope Panic Button can iron out.